• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintan

If the religious thing is a factor then it shouldn't be a problem for Mourinho because in that interview posted the other day he mentioned he was strongly Catholic.

Arnie

Yeah boiiiiiiiii

Great duet. Nashville Skyline's a lovely album as well. I'm glad that you don't hate all music.

Bob Dylan > Nicki Minaj?

Depends whether I've had anything to drink or not, and what company I'm in.

A few beers on my own, Dylan, a few beers with friends, Minaj.
Maybe late but Hazard revealed he'll be wearing a blue shirt next season
Thought that was debunked earlier.

Yeah boiiiiiiiii

Great duet. Nashville Skyline's a lovely album as well. I'm glad that you don't hate all music.

Bob Dylan > Nicki Minaj?
IsaidexcusemeyoureahellofaguyImeanmymymymyyourlikepelicanflyImeanyouresoshyandimlovingyourtieYourelikeslickerthantheguywiththethingonhiseyeOHYesIdidYesIdidSomebodypleasetellthemwhotheeffiIsIamNickiMinajImackthemdudesupBackcoupesupandchuckthedeuceup.

jtb

Banned
Agree with some of this disagree with other parts.

While that first leg against Milan was a disaster, no real explanation as to why, but we showed character and fight in the second leg and could have forced extra time if we took our chances but the way we fought back was encouraging. Doesn't excuse the embarrasment that got us into that position in the first place.

Regarding squad depth, I agree it's not good enough and needs improving. I still don't like the Europa league idea as the lack of finance would greatly effect us in the transfer market in both recruiting and funds available which I don't want. We have a lot of dead wood that we can get rid off which is why I am hoping the Yann M'Vila deal goes through and we keep ahold of Alex Song as that will give us bepth.

We get M'Vila and then all we need is a replacement for Cesc, God I miss him..., and a different player on Walcotts wing and we are good to go. Ramsey, Arteta on the bench, replacement striker on the bench perhaps one more central defener signing wouldn't hurt and we're fine.We've got a basis for a competitive side.

in theory wilshere and ramsey (hell, even nasri did okay last season) should be the cesc replacements, who knows if they'll ever get over being a year out and really become world class. but either way, when one of the best midfielders in the world leaves your club, you're always going to have a gaping hole - so, in that respect, it could have been far worse this season.

what we really need is a hargreaves-type buy (though hopefully a bit less injury prone). I remember reading a while back that between 2000 and 2007, manchester united had only won a single european knockout tie. a physical, experienced presence like hargreaves helped take united to the next level and eventually win the damn thing, and once the duck had been broken... well, three finals in four years.

basically xabi alonso a couple years ago.

and yes, m'vila should NOT be a replacement for song; we need two be able to use two defensive midfielders that are still effective ball players at the same time. a winger would also be nice, since walcott is 1) awful, 2) not a winger. but then again, I think we've got that position covered with gervinho, chamberlain, and now podolski; wenger just needs to play them and sell walcott. he adds nothing to this side and wenger's not going to play him as a striker, so this years-long experiment needs to be recognized for the failure that it is.

Arnie

It hurts my soul

I prefer Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes to both of them. Fuck man, Poison Oak at Glastonbury last year was almost spiritual for me. I'd had a few too many Brothers Festival ciders, it was raining, I had a free Guardian poncho so I could piss unnoticed in public and I belted every word. Wonderful.

I prefer Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes to both of them. Fuck man, Poison Oak at Glastonbury last year was almost spiritual for me. I'd had a few too many Brothers Festival ciders, it was raining, I had a free Guardian poncho so I could piss unnoticed in public and I belted every word. Wonderful.

Hey Arnold

Stop being such a student

I think I'm grumpier in the championship

Wilbur

Banned

aight, good choices motherfucker

They didn't have Brothers at Reading, there was Tuborg and the vastly inferior Gaymers. I hope there's something like Rekorderlig this year, so fucking delicious

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Championship-Jeff is awesome
vbaSc.gif

Yes, Hazard to Wigan was posted already.

KOYYg.gif

They didn't have Brothers at Reading, there was Tuborg and the vastly inferior Gaymers. I hope there's something like Rekorderlig this year, so fucking delicious

Tuborg and Gaymers have sponsored Reading & Leeds for 3 years now, doubt it'll change. I wish they'd bring back the Gaymers tent though. That was crazy back in '09!

Arnie

Hey Arnold

Stop being such a student

I think I'm grumpier in the championship
In my house we don't use central heating. We wear hoodies.

Bring your own, I bought a crate of that sumptuous Strawberry stuff and that fairly rank Festival stuff. Went down nicely. Plus the poncho, I was golden, literally.

Very. That's part of the reason why him and Moyes are such good friends, apparently.

I think Moyes would be a really good candidate. He's done fantastically well at Everton over a really long period and he deserves a shot at the big time without a doubt. He's not just kept them afloat either, he's shown he can build, dismantle, and rebuild sides with limited resources.

Perfect for the Glazers then.

jtb

Banned
I don't know about that but I think he could be better next season (hopefully). I do think its time to move Walcott on or at least try him in the position he prefers.

I have faith in gervinho, if only because he's only had one season so far and, despite his poor finishing (from what I've seen), he actually managed to score and provide assists before the ACON and wenger stopped playing him. If he continues to be shit in another season, fine, sell him off - but I'd rather give him and chamberlain a chance over walcott on the wing.

Arnie

Fucking hell why are majority of the Liverpool fans on the official forums a bunch of idiots?

Because they're very narrow minded people who're only interested in one specific point of view. Liverpool fans go on Liverpool forums because they don't want to read contrasting views of their team, they want everyone to step in line and agree with their very one note perspective.

Thinking about it Kermit was the perfect embodiment of such an attitude, yet he brought it here. Some found that amusing, like me, others didn't really like it.

Is it still designed like a forum from 2002?

Yup. Pretty horrible.

Because they're very narrow minded people who're only interested in one specific point of view. Liverpool fans go on Liverpool forums because they don't want to read contrasting views of their team, they want everyone to step in line and agree with their very one note perspective.

Thinking about it Kermit was the perfect embodiment of such an attitude, yet he brought it here. Some found that amusing, like me, others didn't really like it.

Pretty annoying thou. You'd think people would at least have any decent conversation. There is a topic there about Torres, some of them act like the man raped his mom, sister or grandma. Some even suggesting that Adam is better player than him. WTF.

slider

Woohoo, 5-0 aggregate against Cardiff. Fingers crossed for the final on the 19th (although I'm luck to be at the Amir Khan fight). Haven't looked into it but hope I get to watch the final.

Also, as I'm here... no recent rumours on Gotze? Or is he staying put?

EDIT: Oh, he signed a new deal.

Messi

This was put up on the Man United facebook page today. I assume the kit will be properly revealed tomorrow/this week:

lfOfH.jpg

So that means arsenal and united are revealed from those leaked shots. Only barca left. Come on guys give me a launch date.

Lightning

Banned
and yes, m'vila should NOT be a replacement for song; we need two be able to use two defensive midfielders that are still effective ball players at the same time. a winger would also be nice, since walcott is 1) awful, 2) not a winger. but then again, I think we've got that position covered with gervinho, chamberlain, and now podolski; wenger just needs to play them and sell walcott. he adds nothing to this side and wenger's not going to play him as a striker, so this years-long experiment needs to be recognized for the failure that it is.
Not sure about that, he has a lot in common with Walcott. He seems to have the same failings as Walcott... We do have Ryo Miyaichi returning from what I consider a successful loan spell at Bolton so it would be good to see him get his chance on the wing as well, even as a substitute on the bench to give us depth but Walcott has got to go.

Wenger will never sell Walcott lol :p

Honestly, I think he's quite a good player. Fustrating as hell the majority of the time, but when hes on song, he's brilliant to watch. I do agree Wenger needs to play him up top, as thats where he wants to play though.

Wenger will never sell Walcott lol :p

Honestly, I think he's quite a good player. Fustrating as hell the majority of the time, but when hes on song, he's brilliant to watch. I do agree Wenger needs to play him up top, as thats where he wants to play though.

Interesting sex tape.

Can we nominate Jeff as poster of the season

I need something to cheer about but it would be undeserved, my votes would have been for fady or Mastadon possibly but they have been slacking recently.

In their absence I will have to vote for doicare!

In an unrelated note I had a starburst milkshake from McDonalds today, now because I'm an upstanding member of and a pillar of my society I rarely frequent there but to me this seemed to be just a strawberry milkshake, it was ok though.

Ps coming soon football gaf end of season awards good idea

What categories shall we have alongside the bog standard player / goal of season ones? Best animal pitch invader? Best reaction post? The wilbury award of smallest penis?

Messi

I need something to cheer about but it would be undeserved, my votes would have been for fady or Mastadon possibly but they have been slacking recently.

In an unrelated note I had a starburst milkshake from McDonalds today, now because I'm an upstanding member of and a pillar of my society I rarely frequent there but to me this seemed to be just a strawberry milkshake, it was ok though.

What categories shall we have alongside the bog standard player / goal of season ones? Best animal pitch invader? Best reaction post? The wilbury award of smallest penis?

Clearly I am the best poster.

Wilbur

Banned

Scholes would win every time

Most epic meltdown/rage post. (doicare automatically wins this tbh)

We should also have an honourary Kermit award for the best bit of "banter".

I vote for WoodenLung or Yurt as poster of the season.

Messi

Most epic meltdown/rage post. (doicare automatically wins this tbh)

We should also have an honourary Kermit award for the best bit of "banter".

I vote for WoodenLung or Yurt as poster of the season.

Yurt is good but lacks the raw passion of a massive fady multiquote. You can tell fady spends alot of time on what he posts.

Fady for poster of the season.

Yurt is good but lacks the raw passion of a massive fady multiquote. You can tell fady spends alot of time on what he posts.

Fady for poster of the season.
Fady has been too inconsistent for me. Started well but faded big time. He got back to form at the end of the season but it's too late in my eyes.

Fady = David Silva

I'd nominate a three way tie between doicare, Fur_Q and Lunchbox
Ah, best troll post.

Clegg

I'd be against Moyes becoming the next United manager. He's done a very good job at Everton but United need a manager that has had league winning success. Any new manager should also have shown success in building a young team into a championship winning side.

Does anyone have Jurgen Klopps number?

GorillaJu

Best supporting cast (posters on different time zones)

I nominate Awesome Animals and Salazar. No point though since I win this one handily.

Lunchbox is as genuine as they come

Honestly, I wouldn't know who to single out. My first season on Footygaf has been a great one, with many many awesome posters.
Hi Wilbury you're very nice and funny and your penis is massive.

Wonder who top scorer is? Total up all posts through from OT1 to the end. I've gotta be in the hunt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom