• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
Wow awesome. Scholl was absolute class. What is Jeremies up to these days. And what happend with Diesler after his depression problems etc?

Not really sure. Sebastian Deisler retired mainly because of the injuries, Hoeneß decided to 'keep' his contract running, after he retired, so he could still get the pay. So virtually he was still our player until 2009/10 season. I doubt he's going to seek a coaching career.

Arnie

Just got back, really good performance tonight, just a shame we couldn't play like that more times this season. I don't think it's overexaggerating to say we could have scored 7 or 8 tonight, and Chelsea could have had a couple more themselves.

The worst thing was we didn't make more chances tonight than we usually do, we just converted them.

Two confident finishes from the two young lads in the middle, too. Happy with that. Oh, and Carroll's man of the match performance.

To those wondering about Passion Pit's new single, "Take a Walk"

I like it! It's different though. I don't want to say more mainstream, but it seems to me more structured to be a single. Still, I like it.

It was hilarious to hear the Liverpool fans sing "There's only one Andy Carroll". Damn right there's only one Andy Carroll :lol

He did play very well though and that kind of support from the fans will be great for him, looked very confident. Shelvey again proved he deserves more game time, he really is a neat little player. At this moment I'd say after Wilshere, he's the best young english CM. A long long way behind Wilshere, but still a talent. Better than Henderson for me.

Suarez was great, the run before the OG was just class. His chip at the end wasn't bad either haha. But that punch just ruins it for me. He has a real nasty streak in him.

Kyoufu

I'm happy for Carroll in the sense that he's trying hard, but he's still not a prolific goal scorer.

Strikers need goals.

Arnie

Shelvey again proved he deserves more game time, he really is a neat little player. At this moment I'd say after Wilshere, he's the best young english CM.

untitled-6adkzk.gif

Wilbur

Banned
It was hilarious to hear the Liverpool fans sing "There's only one Andy Carroll". Damn right there's only one Andy Carroll :lol

He did play very well though and that kind of support from the fans will be great for him, looked very confident. Shelvey again proved he deserves more game time, he really is a neat little player. At this moment I'd say after Wilshere, he's the best young english CM. A long long way behind Wilshere, but still a talent. Better than Henderson for me.

Suarez was great, the run before the OG was just class. His chip at the end wasn't bad either haha. But that punch just ruins it for me. He has a real nasty streak in him.

Salazar am cry.

For what it's worth, I agree. I saw enough of Clevgod at Wigan last year to know he's a real talent, but Shelvey's great.

Salazar am cry.

For what it's worth, I agree. I saw enough of Clevgod at Wigan last year to know he's a real talent, but Shelvey's great.
I think Cleverley really is a good player and when he gets the chance to show that I feel confident he will. But he hasn't had many minutes for what seems like ages. Shelvey is getting chances now and is impressing.

I think they're quite different in terms of style though, Cleverley keeps things simple and sets the tempo of play. Shelvey is far more hollywood and direct.

LegoArmo

I'm on the board that will help decide United's next manager, after Fergie leaves. I shouldn't be telling you this but the current lead candidate is Steve Kean, we're just hoping Blackburn fire him so we don't have to pay any compensation, we can't afford that.

Wilbur

Banned
I think Cleverley really is a good player and when he gets the chance to show that I feel confident he will. But he hasn't had many minutes for what seems like ages. Shelvey is getting chances now and is impressing.

I think they're quite different in terms of style though, Cleverley keeps things simple and sets the tempo of play. Shelvey is far more hollywood and direct.

They'd make a good pairing in CM I think

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/1CksG.jpg[/IMG]

Possibly fake, but thoughts?

Nike promised to reveal our away shirt next week anyway :p

HAWT. Gonna get a Juve kit next year, home or away not decided.

jtb

Banned
Bugger off... We came agonizingly close last season only for that shitty late season slump to ruin everything. We have very talented players. We are lacking 1 or 2 more world class players and a bit of depth to compensate for injuries but the core of our side is not that bad.

If Chelsea can make a CL final with the team they have no reason why we cannot do the same.

couldn't disagree more. cole, terry (cunts that they are), lampard, drogba... the spine of that team have basically been playing in the champions league for the past eight, nine years and have developed nerves of steel. they know how to win knockout ties. they may not give a shit about the regular league trips, but they know how to give it their all for the big matches. they won't make the stupid defensive lapses that you can always depend on arsenal for. until we have players who have champions league experience, depth, and a plan b that involves playing on the counter (like we did against barcelona in the home leg) we will keep getting our ass handed to us, like we did against a pretty shitty milan side.

i mean, just thinking of that champions league starters against milan, almost no injuries, got routed 4-0 anyways.

song, walcott, van persie, sanga have a couple years of experience under their belt, but, really, when was the last time these players won in a knockout tie in an arsenal shirt against half-decent opposition? milan 08?

kos, vermaelen, gibbs, arteta, ramsey - little to no experience in europe. I wouldn't at all mind a run in the europa league; that's where arsene can experiment with the youngsters, they'll have a little less pressure, and most importantly, they'll learn how to actually win in a knockout tie. of course, champions league + experienced signings would be best, but, I'll take what I can get.

as for coming close in the league... we never had the defense capable of winning the league last season, so any time the team stops scoring, we fail. van persie injured? fucked. cesc (now arteta) injured? fucked. we have some defensive solidity now, but we desperately need depth in defense and midfield - squillaci/djouru and diaby (if he can even be considered depth lol)/denilson just are not good enough.

Arnie

I'm on the board that will help decide United's next manager, after Fergie leaves. I shouldn't be telling you this but the current lead candidate is Steve Kean, we're just hoping Blackburn fire him so we don't have to pay any compensation, we can't afford that.

Im being completely serious in saying that I've actually heard the the leading candidate is David Moyes. Something to do with his devout christian beliefs.

Splatt

Shelvey again proved he deserves more game time, he really is a neat little player. At this moment I'd say after Wilshere, he's the best young english CM. A long long way behind Wilshere, but still a talent. Better than Henderson for me.

Shelvey's good but he's every bit the bastard that Suarez is.

They'd make a good pairing in CM I think
Nah, neither are great defending from what I've seen.

Im being completely serious in saying that I've actually heard the the leading candidate is David Moyes. Something to do with his devout christian beliefs.
Many people say Moyes is the leading candidate. Why would devout Christian beliefs come into it though?

Fergie will have a big say in who the successor is. He is close to Moyes and rates him. Fergie does often say it would have to be somebody who knows the club very well though.

Wilbur

Banned
Nah, neither are great defending from what I've seen.

Many people say Moyes is the leading candidate. Why would devout Christian beliefs come into it though?

Fergie will have a big say in who the successor is. He is close to Moyes and rates him. Fergie does often say it would have to be somebody who knows the club very well though.

3 man midfield with Rodwell for England. Believe.

I think Moyes is a solid choice, if not the most inspiring. But I can't really think of anyone better. On talent, it should be Mourinho, but he's a straight up dillhole.

Arnie

Why would devout Christian beliefs come into it though?

Well from what I heard the United boardroom is littered with strong Christian beliefs, as is Ferguson. They see Moyes as the perfect candidate to succeed Ferguson, and this religious link is just part of that. I need to clarify, it's not the sole reason, nor is it perhaps the primary one. It's definitely a factor though.

3 man midfield with Rodwell for England. Believe.

I think Moyes is a solid choice, if not the most inspiring. But I can't really think of anyone better. On talent, it should be Mourinho, but he's a straight up dillhole.
Moyes is a really really good manager IMO. He does fantastically well with Everton. I like his desire yet dignity and I also like how he puts faith in youth. If he were to become the next United manager I wouldn't be against it. Stepping up to manage a club with the expectation of United is something else though, no way of knowing for sure whether he is up for it

Personally I want to see Guardiola offered the job if he is available when the time comes. He was sensational for Barca, even with the resources he had at his disposal. It's an obv choice and it would be a big risk, no idea how he would get on, but if he's unemployed at the time it'd be a mistake not to give him a go at it IMO.

Well from what I heard the United boardroom is littered with strong Christian beliefs, as is Ferguson. They see Moyes as the perfect candidate to succeed Ferguson, and this religious link is just part of that. I need to clarify, it's not the sole reason, nor is it perhaps the primary one. It's definitely a factor though.
Ah okay. I've never come across that. I know Fergie is religious and puts alot of stock in religious values but didn't know it was something important to those at the club. Something to look into.

jtb

Banned

well that ABC interview said mou's a devout catholic, right? I really think that would be the perfect match... and since he doesn't have guardiola to worry about anymore, he can just sit tight with real madrid, win that 3rd cl, and when ferguson retires, take up the helm at old trafford. anyone else would just be setting themselves up for failure.

Arnie

I didn't know Ferguson was particularly religious.

Very. That's part of the reason why him and Moyes are such good friends, apparently.

I think Moyes would be a really good candidate. He's done fantastically well at Everton over a really long period and he deserves a shot at the big time without a doubt. He's not just kept them afloat either, he's shown he can build, dismantle, and rebuild sides with limited resources.

Wilbur

Banned
I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on someone like Lambert, but not for a few years.

Moyes would be great, if Guardiola or Mourinho weren't available.

Wilbur

Banned
I wouldn't mind Moyes, but it's a risk.

I think it's likely that when Fergie goes, initially a lot of our power goes. We won't be able to make as big signings, a new manager likely won't have the reach, influence and name of SAF. Especially in the position City are now, I don't see us being as successful for maybe 4-5 years. Moyes would be a wonderful manager if we could have him for the 20 years we've had Fergie for, but I'd prepare myself for a few years of finishing top 4.

How much longer do you think Fergie has left in the tank? 1 more season? 3? 14?

One, two or three. I think if we win the league next year overtaking City again, he'll give up then.

Could United recruit from within at all?

I'd rather have someone like Meulensteen be assistant than Phelan, but not off the top of my head. Solskjaer's doing well in Norway, but it's a much smaller job

Lightning

Banned
couldn't disagree more. cole, terry (cunts that they are), lampard, drogba... the spine of that team have basically been playing in the champions league for the past eight, nine years and have developed nerves of steel. they know how to win knockout ties. they may not give a shit about the regular league trips, but they know how to give it their all for the big matches. they won't make the stupid defensive lapses that you can always depend on arsenal for. until we have players who have champions league experience, depth, and a plan b that involves playing on the counter (like we did against barcelona in the home leg) we will keep getting our ass handed to us, like we did against a pretty shitty milan side.

i mean, just thinking of that champions league starters against milan, almost no injuries, got routed 4-0 anyways.

song, walcott, van persie, sanga have a couple years of experience under their belt, but, really, when was the last time these players won in a knockout tie in an arsenal shirt against half-decent opposition? milan 08?

kos, vermaelen, gibbs, arteta, ramsey - little to no experience in europe. I wouldn't at all mind a run in the europa league; that's where arsene can experiment with the youngsters, they'll have a little less pressure, and most importantly, they'll learn how to actually win in a knockout tie. of course, champions league + experienced signings would be best, but, I'll take what I can get.

as for coming close in the league... we never had the defense capable of winning the league last season, so any time the team stops scoring, we fail. van persie injured? fucked. cesc (now arteta) injured? fucked. we have some defensive solidity now, but we desperately need depth in defense and midfield - squillaci/djouru and diaby (if he can even be considered depth lol)/denilson just are not good enough.
Agree with some of this disagree with other parts.

While that first leg against Milan was a disaster, no real explanation as to why, but we showed character and fight in the second leg and could have forced extra time if we took our chances but the way we fought back was encouraging. Doesn't excuse the embarrasment that got us into that position in the first place.

Regarding squad depth, I agree it's not good enough and needs improving. I still don't like the Europa league idea as the lack of finance would greatly effect us in the transfer market in both recruiting and funds available which I don't want. We have a lot of dead wood that we can get rid off which is why I am hoping the Yann M'Vila deal goes through and we keep ahold of Alex Song as that will give us bepth.

We get M'Vila and then all we need is a replacement for Cesc, God I miss him..., and a different player on Walcotts wing and we are good to go. Ramsey, Arteta on the bench, replacement striker on the bench perhaps one more central defener signing wouldn't hurt and we're fine.We've got a basis for a competitive side.

I cannot begin to articulate how much I'd be against Moyes. There aren't the right words in this language.

He has done very well on a very strict budget. That is not a pre-requisite skill for guiding a side towards playing good attacking football and winning trophies. Moyes has not shown signs of being able to do either.

How much longer do you think Fergie has left in the tank? 1 more season? 3? 14?
I think he is very close to the end. He's 71. A year or so ago he said he had about 3 years left in him. Of course at one stage he retired completely but then reversed his decision. For a long time he would say the end wasn't close, he'd keep going. Now, he speaks as though he knows it is coming and of course, it has to. I don't think SAF would have stepped down had we won the league this season, but he really wanted it for this group. He has always said he wants to leave a group which makes the next managers job easier. Winning the title with this young group of players would have given them a strong foundation and winning mentality.

Personally I think Fergie will have 2 more season after this, at the most, 3.

Could United recruit from within at all?
Unlikely. The new manager needs to be experienced.

Is Baines moving to Manchester United? Read a rumor yesterday.
No.

operon

As a Liverpool fan i still have to acknowledge fergie as being one of the greatest.

Moyes seems like a good candidate for manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom