• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't decide the lesser of two evils.

I don't mind this line of thought provided we beat West Brom on the weekend.
I really don't mind Arsenal getting 3rd. Rival London club and all but I have never had anything against them. The only time I dislike Arsenal is when we play them, other than that, they're just there for me.

I do however have no love for Spurs. Us winning UCL and Newcastle getting 4th would bring me now joy (other than the win obviously) as I like Newcastle and what they have achieved this year.

So yeah, would love us to win CL and Spurs to get fourth, it would be beautiful. Can't see us winning though.

Mr. Sam

Jonjo fuckin' SHELVEY!

9hwTY.jpg

The goal-scoring machine whose sale kept Charlton afloat for a few months.

Nevasleep

Cardiff City are trying to do a 60 minute makeover.
Red and black kit, moar dragons, new nickname, to impress the Malyasian owners.

Hixx

So how many of you guys are on your clubs managerial selection board?

I like to think I am. I squealed like a bitch at the Wigan game to get Bruce out and O'Neill in. Week later, it happens.

I am a fucking god, Ellis obviously overheard my ever so manly squeaks and said 'aye, that kid knars the score'.

FootballFan

Wpw, Carles Puyol out of Euro 2012 with a knee injury.

It's ROI's to lose now!

What! No!!

l36yo.gif

Let me guess, you're in the camp that still believes Moggi closed that refree Paparesta in a room and threw away the key, right? Sorry, I'm not getting into it again, I've spent enough years and health following the calciopoli scandal and the joke of a trial that followed, fighting against windmills, to still give a damn about convincing people who will clearly never let themselves be convinced of anything. You say 28, we say 30. I'm more than happy to keep it that way.

Congrats on the 30 Juve. :) Well earned imo.

Wilbur

Banned
Cardiff City are trying to do a 60 minute makeover.
Red and black kit, moar dragons, new nickname, to impress the Malyasian owners.

This is just embarrassing. 100 years of history thrown away for marketing... pfft.

Also Jeff do you realise how cool that is? Realistically, what about Sven?

Why does Suarez feel the need to do that in a game which you lead 4-1?

Anyway just recieved a message off of Balajis bodyguard (I'm 99% sure he's genuine as we met in India and he confirmed some obscure details)

He is asking for a list of potential replacements for Steve Kean but they hve to be realistic and free agents

Our owners really know nowt about football

On the plus side, welcome to Blackburn Pep, lol

Edit why would anyone go for the ball in a sideways stabbing motion?
Why would his bodyguard be asking you this? I'm not doubting that what you're saying is true BTW, just wondering why they would have their bodyguard contact you.

Anyway, if you don't mind sharing it, what was your response? Are you happy to co-operate and make suggestions with these owners? I can see why you wouldn't want to out of principle.

Wilbur

Banned
City to win 3-0 on Sunday, us to win 2-1. City win the league.

Despite QPR's loss, Bolton will draw 1-1 with Stoke, sending them down.

Arsenal will draw at WBA and will finish fourth behind Spurs, who beat Fulham. And Newcastle will lose at Everton but have no shame in doing that! 5th is superb.

Chelsea will win against Bayern because Satan fancies a laugh, and Lightning will shoot his own dick in anger

Hixx

Thinking about it - has Jeff been the puppet master all along and the Venky's are a front to stop the truth from emerging?

Also I really want a kebab and I'm stone cold sober. Weird feeling.

edit: Louis Saha is on Newsnight!?

Lightning

Banned
Would be funny to see Lightning meltdown but yeah it wouldn't for us normal Gooners :/
Oh real funny. RVP would leave, our budget destroyed, the talent we could recurit limited...

Just look how Spurs treated the Europa league this season...

\Part of me wants us to be in it just to see the board's reaction. I don't think a top 4 finish is ambitious enough for us.
This would be the only blessing. Other than that it would be a disaster. My negativity on Europa is because we should be aiming to be the best and I want to maintain faith that we can one day be there again.

It has crossed my mind as well. Kick up the ass for Wenger and especially Gazadis.

Kyoufu

Oh real funny. RVP would leave, our budget destroyed, the talent we could recurit limited...

Just look how Spurs treated the Europa league this season...

Serious question:

Would you be happy if Arsenal won the Europa League?

Personally, I would be ECSTATIC if Newcastle won it! Would love the hell out of silverware. Especially a European cup.

Thinking about it - has Jeff been the puppet master all along and the Venky's are a front to stop the truth from emerging?

Also I really want a kebab and I'm stone cold sober. Weird feeling.

edit: Louis Saha is on Newsnight!?

DON'T DO IT.

It's one of those 'I immediately regret this decision' things.

offshore

Personally, I would be ECSTATIC if Newcastle won it! Would love the hell out of silverware. Especially a European cup.
See, this is why a lot of Spurs' and Arsenal fans' attitude to the EL stinks, much like Shogun was talking about ages ago.

It's a trophy they could actually win, as opposed to the CL which both clubs are never ever gonna win.

Kyoufu

See, this is why a lot of Spurs' and Arsenal fans' attitude to the EL stinks, much like Shogun was talking about ages ago.

It's a trophy they could actually win, as opposed to the CL which both clubs are never ever gonna won.

Well admittedly, I had the same attitude too.

Then I watched Athletico Bilbao and my mind was blown.

Lightning

Banned
Serious question:

Would you be happy if Arsenal won the Europa League?

I would be mixed. Happy for trophy, of course, but my ambition would always be higher so I would not be content or happy that we were even in the competition. I want to see Arsenal playing against the best sides in Europe.. and challenging for the PL.

This is already happening :(
This is not already happening. You not confident that RVP will sign?

Wilbur

Banned

It's a trophy they could actually win, as opposed to the CL which both clubs are never ever gonna win.

Completely agree. When we went out in the group stages this year and I had Arsenal fans I know laughing, I think (obviously misguided now) there was a better chance of us winning the EL than Arsenal winning the CL. Would I take a group stage crashout and winning the EL over the quarter finals of the CL? Of course I would.

Kyoufu

I would be mixed. Happy for trophy, of course, but my ambition would always be higher so I would not be content or happy that we were even in the competition. I want to see Arsenal playing against the best sides in Europe.. and challenging for the PL.

But everyone wants that for their teams. We gotta take what we can get. Let's face it, Arsenal and Newcastle are not CL/PL worthy winners.

Lightning

Banned
But everyone wants that for their teams. We gotta take what we can get. Let's face it, Arsenal and Newcastle are not CL/PL worthy winners.
Bugger off... We came agonizingly close last season only for that shitty late season slump to ruin everything. We have very talented players. We are lacking 1 or 2 more world class players and a bit of depth to compensate for injuries but the core of our side is not that bad.

If Chelsea can make a CL final with the team they have no reason why we cannot do the same.

Wilbur

Banned
Bugger off... We came agonizingly close last season only for that shitty late season slump to ruin everything. We have very talented players. We are lacking 1 or 2 more world class players and a bit of depth to compensate for injuries but the core of our side is not that bad.

If Chelsea can make a CL final with the team they have no reason why we cannot do the same.

Thing is, I hear Arsenal fans say the same thing every year.

Arsenal weren't agonizingly close last year. They were close, but the title was out of your hands with something like 4/5 games to play. That's not agonizingly close.

The Arsenal team is decent IMO. It's a long way off challenging for the title and it's a very long way of competiting for both the PL/CL simaltaneously.

2 world class players and a bit of depth. That's not something which is easy to produce. If you suppose Arsenal sign Podolski and M'Vila, i'd say they need 2 world class players on top of that, one in defence and one in attack...before they can seriously challenge for the top honours regularly.

First teams do not win titles. Squads do. Arsenal's first team isn't all that and the squad is worse still. You have to consider how poor the league has been this season to really put into context where Arsenal are as a team.

Why would his bodyguard be asking you this? I'm not doubting that what you're saying is true BTW, just wondering why they would have their bodyguard contact you.

Anyway, if you don't mind sharing it, what was your response? Are you happy to co-operate and make suggestions with these owners? I can see why you wouldn't want to out of principle.

No idea, I'm trying to make some calls to get to the bottom of it.

I'm a mod on the biggest rovers forum and obviously went to Pune, the bodyguard has been on the forum for a year or so leaking info at times so I worry that it's a leak to get info out so it looks like they are taking action.

The guy is legit but I can't confirm his motives.

Been onto a journalist I know who speaks to venkys often and he has heard similar today from them.

Do I co-operate?

Not sure but I think I'd rather be made a fool of for trying than not try at all.

By their way the bodyguard is Scottish so maybe he's used as he has the best grasp of English language and etiquette etc.

He's fucking huge as well

Bumhead

Banned
Do I co-operate?

Does co-operating involve actually providing a list of managers who are out of work and Championship standard?

If so, then fuck no.

What an absolutely outrageous situation. It's not one you can look good in co-operating with from anyone's point of view.

PaulLFC

Just got back, really good performance tonight, just a shame we couldn't play like that more times this season. I don't think it's overexaggerating to say we could have scored 7 or 8 tonight, and Chelsea could have had a couple more themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom