• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

How come no one is talking about Drenthe's accusation that Messi used a derogative racial slur against him? The Spanish FA should investigate, primarily going back to the alleged games and examining the video evidence.

When something similar happened here with Suarez, everyone was on it.

Because is not a derogative slur? Also there's no evidence.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG BITCH.

11shirt1-500x400.jpg

<3

Fuck yeah I like the town kit.

Meier

I have 3 Umbro Man City shirts and I love them. I'll be sad when the switch is made to Nike.. really like the sizing of the Umbro shirts.

Because is not a derogative slur?.

"You know what bothers me so? That tone with which he always says, 'negro, negro'. I understand that negro in South America is very common, but we cannot stand it.

Drenthe understood how trivial the word can be in South America and suggests here that it wasn't the word that bothered him, but rather the tone in which he [Messi] used it in, which made it clear to him that it was being used as a derogative.

Also there's no evidence

How have you come to that conclusion? I said earlier the videos of the matches in question should be examined to determine whether there is supportive evidence. If none is found, then you can say there is 'no evidence'. Unless of course you've already done yourself

elseanio

Does anyone know what capacity Liverpool will use the new crest? Is it gonna completely replace our old one? Or is the single liverbird only for the shirts

dc89

Manchester United have cause for complaint as unique survey highlights Premier League errors

There's some doicare conspiracy right there. All I get from this article is the quality of the referees is utter shit.

Even contains a table for all those moral league enthusiasts out there.

That's just some desperate dross.

we really have the most beautiful stadium in the world. too bad it wont shine in red :(

Amazing stadium. I'm going to find a good BBC article I read about Stadiums the other day.

I liked the Man City (3rd?) shirt from last season:

3864873714_917e4d0f24.jpg

Yup. A real beautiful shirt.

GorillaJu

I actually hate that white City kit with the sash stripe. I don't like that design in general - it looks like some kind of marching band amalgamation. Didn't like it on the US kit either.

Anderson

Would get the Ireland shirt if it didn't have the 3 logo on it. Thought countries weren't allowed to have sponsors on the shirts?

I actually hate that white City kit with the sash stripe. I don't like that design in general - it looks like some kind of marching band amalgamation. Didn't like it on the US kit either.

I liked the Red with the Blue Sash. But not the Blue with the Red so much. Don't like our newest kit.

sneaky77

"You know what bothers me so? That tone with which he always says, 'negro, negro'. I understand that negro in South America is very common, but we cannot stand it.

Drenthe understood how trivial the word can be in South America and suggests here that it wasn't the word that bothered him, but rather the tone in which he [Messi] used it in, which made it clear to him that it was being used as a derogative.

How have you come to that conclusion? I said earlier the videos of the matches in question should be examined to determine whether there is supportive evidence. If none is found, then you can say there is 'no evidence'. Unless of course you've already done yourself

Actually he didn't say anything about tone, he just said he doesn't like the word, and then pointed out at Argentinian players for R Madrid also using it in training. Sorry, not liking a form of speech from Argentina does not make it a slur.

Actually he didn't say anything about tone, he just said he doesn't like the word, and then pointed out at Argentinian players for R Madrid also using it in training. Sorry, not liking a form of speech from Argentina does not make it a slur.

Dat toontje waarmee hij altijd negro, negro tegen mij zei.

The original quote in the interview. Translated, he is speaking about 'tone'. I've asked a Dutch speaking friend to confirm this and I'll let you know when he gets back to me. However, in each translation thus far - as demonstrated in that BBC article above - Drenthe is shown to be referring to the word being used in a derogative context. If you read what he says, he is making a clear distinction between the word and the manner Messi used it towards him.

Seep

Suarez got a 8 game ban for the same word.

On the subject of shirts I really want a Aguero Argentina shirt. Only question is, home or away:

http://img.uksoccershop.com/timthumb/314/18724.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img.uksoccershop.com/timthumb/314/18722.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]Both.

You know it makes sense.

Inzaghi confirmed today that he'll leave us next June. He wrote a letter about that, almost brought me to tears. I'll never forget his first goal in the 2006/2007 Champions League playoff on his birthday (I was at the San Siro, amazing night) and, of course, his goals against Liverpool during the final. There are a lot of other important goals, like the one against Ajax and Bayern in 2003, or the one against Sparta Praha in 2004, or at the world cup final in 2007 against Boca. He also scored in the '06 World Cup, against Czech Republic.

Meanwhile, Gattuso is talking right now with Galliani, this morning somebody said that the golden tie would offer him a one-year contract plus a role in the management division of the squad. There's still one guy that has to leave, can't wait.

These are some sad days. I knew that they had to leave (I wanted them to leave a couple of years ago, actually) but seeing once more what we won and what we went through with them them is kind of painful.

Edit: Gattuso will leave us as well. He'll play somewhere else for a year then he'll return, but not as a player. Another great player, that had his best years with Ancelotti. I'll miss him as well.

Inzaghi and Del Piero.
Nedved.
Maldini.
R.Baggio.

Where are all the likeable Italian stars to replace these guys? Obviously Nedved isn't Italian but he was at Juventus so long...

sneaky77

The F.A. deemed it racial abuse so therefore it is considered a "slur."

The English FA did.. but this was not in England. Is not like I thought the 8 match ban was deserved, but I can see how a translation into English may make it worse.

either way, we're not going to agree about language nuances in here so, whatever. I don't particularly care if Messi gets a ban, just saying that saying negro in spanish is not a slur. I seriously doubt the Madrid players using it in practice are saying racial slurs against their own teammates.

Inzaghi and Del Piero.
Nedved.
Maldini.
R.Baggio.

Where are all the likeable Italian stars to replace these guys? Obviously Nedved isn't Italian but he was at Juventus so long...

Marchisio and Chiellini for Juve for sure, Abbiati and Antonini for Milan I guess.

So we should just ignore it because it was Messi?

No. Wouldn't mind seeing Barca players banned or get the racist stamp, that would actually sit quite well with me as I hate that fucking club. But surely you can see why there's potentially huge differences and nuances to this? If not then you're not really worth the discussion.

Seep

No. Wouldn't mind seeing Barca players banned or get the racist stamp, that would actually sit quite well with me as I hate that fucking club. But surely you can see why there's potentially huge differences and nuances to this? If not then you're not really worth the discussion.

Two south Americans said the same word, the only difference is one happened in England and one didn't.

Two south Americans said the same word, the only difference is one happened in England and one didn't.

You really should read that damn report the FA put online. It's not that simple and the report clearly takes into account the tone and manner it was said in. Still not sure if you are trolling, dense or both but here you go :

The word "negro" can have pejorative connotations, as it may be associated with low class
status, ugliness, vulgar behaviour, noisiness, violence, dishonesty, sexual promiscuity etc.
In the River Plate region, for example, "los negros" is sometimes employed as a general
term for the lower classes and especially for lower-class people whose behaviour is
deemed vulgar and not "respectable".

171. Thus, the word can be employed with the intent to offend and to offend in racial terms;
often the word would be appended with further insult, as in the example "negro de
mierda" [shitty black].

172. The word "negro" is by no means, however, always used offensively. The term can also be
used as a friendly form of address to someone seen as somewhat brown-skinned or even
just black-haired. It may be used affectionately between man and wife, or
girlfriend/boyfriend, it may be used as a nickname in everyday speech, it may be used to
identify in neutral and descriptive fashion someone of dark skin; several famous people in
Uruguay are known as "el negro/la negra such-and-such".

173. "Negro" can be used in the same way that other words referring to physical characteristics
are used as descriptors for particular individuals, eg "el flaco" [the thin one/beanpole] or
"el gordo" [the fat one/fatso]; these words can also be used without the article, eg "hola,
gordo" [hi, fatso] or "chau, flaco" [bye, beanpole]; thus, a group of friends waiting for
another friend might exclaim "mira, ahi viene el negro" [look, here comes the black
one/blackie].

174. In Latin America, other terms may be used in ways that sound odd to a European ear. In
Colombia, the word "mono" (literally, "monkey") is used to address light-skinned people
or people whose hair is lighter than pure black. In Mexico, the word "güero" is used to
address blond or light-haired people. In many areas, the word "moreno" [brown] may be
used as a term of address in similar ways to "negro".

The experts reviewed the paragraphs in Mr Evra's witness statement where he described
what happened in the goalmouth, together with video clips of the goalmouth coming
together. They proceeded, for the purpose of this part of their report, on the basis that the
substance of Mr Evra's account was accurate (ie allowing for linguistic errors made by a
non-native speaker of Spanish). Having done so, the experts provided the following
observations on Mr Evra's account.

178. Mr Evra stated that the goalmouth incident started when he addressed Mr Suarez,
beginning with the phrase "Concha de tu hermana". According to the experts, the literal
translation is "your sister's cunt" and it can be taken as a general swear word expressing
anger, although the word "concha" is not as taboo as the English word "cunt". It is thus
equivalent to "fucking hell" or "fuck me". If directed at someone in particular, it can also be
understood as "[you] son of a bitch".

179. Assuming Mr Suarez responded with "Porque tu eres negro", this would be interpreted in
Uruguay and other regions of Latin America as racially offensive. When the noun is used
in the way described by Mr Evra, it is not a friendly form of address, but is used in an
insulting way: it is given as the rationale for an act of physical aggression (the foul), as if
the person deserved such an attack since they are black. The term is not being used as in
paragraphs 172 and 173 above, but in the sense of paragraph 171

There is much more but I suggest you read it yourself instead of me quoting 115 pages. The RAWK summary probably wasn't good. Quite clearly it's not just a matter of "did he say negro or not".

Salazar

Rooney says, "STILL BELIEVE". So that's two of you, Salazar.

C'est bon.

In between seasons, I am going to take up an editor-in-residence position at an antarctic station, before the wreckage of my emotional life bursts into flames.

I will probably be able to post during the equinox or something fucked up like that.

But it pleases me that Wazza is throwing sardines to the fishes.

elsk

Banned
Bayern Munich have 13,500 seats reserved in every league game for standing tickets at a cost of €15 each. They're owned by 130k members, who can watch games for €12.50 each. They also have 6,000 season tickets sold for just £100.

They're still raking it in, playing home grown stars, have the most beautiful ground in the world, boss kits and an entertaining brand of football.

I'm not a massive Bayern fan or anything but god damn that is how you run a football club. Just for this master plan they deserve to win the CL.

:)

Wilbur

Banned
2010: Bayern Munich lose the Champions League final, Manchester United finish second in the league, Chelsea win the FA Cup, Tottenham snatch fourth place, Blackpool win the play-off final, Atletico Madrid win the Europa League. PRETTY SPOOKAY YOU GUYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom