• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

I ... have no idea, actually. Could be more than a decent winger, but apparently he's no use at all when it comes to defending. Which is a big no-no for Conte. At least that's what we imagine, same goes for Krasic. We basically never saw him play.

It's a big no no for us. Then again, Pardew turned Ben Arfa in to a good player who can help the team out, so I'd imagine he thinks he can do the same for Elia.

Blablurn

LOL

That has to be the worst thing ever!

iMjVrUFBPpWsm.gif

Fady K

Who do Chelsea have as CB? No terry, no Ivan,Luiz and Cahill are a doubt . What if they don't recover?

Even if they recover, doesn't mean it'll be much easier. It's Bayern Munich we're talking about after all.

Luiz looks like he may recover before then, Cahill, we don't know for sure yet.

Arnie

I really like the United kit. I must have a mental disorder going by some of the reactions on here.

I don't really like it, but it's unique and fairly plain at the same time. I definitely think it's subtle enough not to be offensive. Would've been terrible if the socks had been red, as rumoured. But it's a nike kit so it'll be shit quality regardless.

It's strange for me because I usually buy every home shirt, but now we've moved to a new one every year I probably won't buy again next year. If I'm looking at this shirt from the perspective of someone who owned the previous one I definitely wouldn't buy it. The white collar on United's home shirt last year was quite nice, in my opinion.

Even if they recover, doesn't mean it'll be much easier. It's Bayern Munich we're talking about after all.

Sure it won't be easy. But we shouldn't forget that Bayern also got quite a few suspensions and Sweinsteiger is still having trouble?

I don't really like it, but it's unique and fairly plain at the same time. I definitely think it's subtle enough not to be offensive. Would've been terrible if the socks had been red, as rumoured. But it's a nike kit so it'll be shit quality regardless.

Yeah I am not exactly finding it terrible either, just meh.

It's strange for me because I usually buy every home shirt, but now we've moved to a new one every year I probably won't buy again next year. If I'm looking at this shirt from the perspective of someone who owned the previous one I definitely wouldn't buy it. The white collar on United's home shirt last year was quite nice, in my opinion.
Really? I HATED that, like absolutely despised it. As I said yesterday, I do like collars but that was some paper thin flimsy flapping in the wind half hearted nonsense.

Fady K

Ivanovic and Terry suspended. Cahill and Luiz injured. My goodness. The thought of it depresses me. What great timing for a Champions League final.

Fady K

Sure it won't be easy. But we shouldn't forget that Bayern also got quite a few suspensions and Sweinsteiger is still having trouble?

Yeah to be fair to Bayern they are missing at least 2 very important players through suspension - Alaba and Gustavo. Badstuber is pretty good too, so not having him doesn't help Bayern much I believe.

The thing is, they have some replacements, even if they aren't as good. Will we? They have another 7 days, here's hoping they both make it. Luiz has been out for over a month and Cahill for nearly 3 weeks. Sucks.

elsk

Banned
Ivanovic and Terry suspended. Cahill and Luiz injured. My goodness. The thought of it depresses me. What great timing for a Champions League final.

Actually we're in the same problem. We have 3 CBs: Badstuber (suspended), Boateng, van Buyten (injured since the winter break). van Buyten is going to play with the reserves today, at least. If he doesn't make it, we would have to play Tymo (DM) as CB...

Arnie

Really? I HATED that, like absolutely despised it. As I said yesterday, I do like collars but that was some paper thin flimsy flapping in the wind half hearted nonsense.

From last season? Did it even flap? I thought it was just a fancy design around the neck.

GQman2121

Banned
I think the black socks and collar look great. It's the print on the shirt that just kills it all. They should have just gone with plain devil red and have been done with it. It's not terrible but it's a case of less is (or could have been) more.

Liverpool's red collared shirt is tits though. I really like that one.

Whatever man, a back four of:

Ferreria - Bosingwa - Essien - Cole

Will surely be enough. (´・ω・`)

Pardew has been named Manager of the season!

Kompany been named player of the season.

Both well deserved, absolutely thrilled for Pardew. Who would have thought it eyy?

Fady K

Actually we're in the same problem. We have 3 CBs: Badstuber (suspended), Boateng, van Buyten (injured since the winter break). van Buyten is going to play with the reserves today, at least. If he doesn't make it, we would have to play Tymo (DM) as CB...

I realize how we are both in a dumb situation, sucks because it would have been a better final for all otherwise. Boateng is pretty good though, I'm not sure we have any other good players for the CB role. Bosingwa did well against Barcelona, but he barely does well there as it isn't his natural position. Sucks that we may both have to rely on out of position players at the back of the defense.

Whatever man, a back four of:

Ferreria - Bosingwa - Essien - Cole

Will surely be enough. (´・ω・`)

I worry for Essien, he was horrible against Liverpool even in a natural position ;_; Bosingwa can screw up badly at times, he made it far easier for Liverpool to score their only goal at the FA Cup final :'(.

Here's hoping for the best, but for Blackburn, RDM confirmed that neither will be able to make it.

Zabojnik

It's a big no no for us. Then again, Pardew turned Ben Arfa in to a good player who can help the team out, so I'd imagine he thinks he can do the same for Elia.

Yeah, but see, Conte managed a similar miracle with Vucinic this year, so it's not like he didn't try with Elia. It could be something else completely, though. He seemed to have a really hard time adjusting to the whole italian culture ... Could very well be a case of wrong player in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hopefully you guys will be able to make better use of him, if he's indeed moving to Newcastle.
We'll take Papiss + cash, thanks.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Fuck me, I'm going to be pissed if I miss Survival Sunday since I'm going to be out of town due to some family formalities I don't really care for.

I know he did well with Copenhagen, and his time with Cologne was an utter car crash in every aspect, but what's the Solbakken style?

It really was a car crash in every aspect. How one of his drunk players ended a night out :

RaamY.jpg
t8xmz.jpg

His style here the first few years was very defensive, even as the top club of the league. He bought more and more technical players with the years though and we ended up playing some wonderful football, even when we went up against the very best in Europe the last few seasons it was with offensive football and pressuring all teams (Barca, Chelsea, whatever) high up the pitch. So you can say he pretty much changed styles completely in the seasons he was here.

What you can no doubt expect is pretty hilarious press conferences and interviews. He's a great motivator and will stand on the sideline screaming at a player for 90 min if he is too lazy, you could hear his voice in tv even at Nou Camp, screaming, haha.

dc89

Kompany!! What a warrior!

LOL @ That United kit. But I am terrified to see what monsterous creation Nike put us in come 2013.

Also already looking ahead to next season it's quite possible, nay, almost certain now that City will be in pot 2 for the CL.

Group of death:

Barca
City
Juve
Dortmund

-___________________-

rodvik

His style here the first few years was very defensive, even as the top club of the league. He bought more and more technical players with the years though and we ended up playing some wonderful football, even when we went up against the very best in Europe the last few seasons it was with offensive football and pressuring all teams (Barca, Chelsea, whatever) high up the pitch. So you can say he pretty much changed styles completely in the seasons he was here.

What you can no doubt expect is pretty hilarious press conferences and interviews. He's a great motivator and will stand on the sideline screaming at a player for 90 min if he is too lazy, you could hear his voice in tv even at Nou Camp, screaming, haha.

Sounds promising. Hope Wolves come back quick. Even though they are technically local rivals they and the baggies have some top fans.

Also already looking ahead to next season it's quite possible, nay, almost certain now that City will be in pot 2 for the CL.

Group of death:

Barca
City
Juve
Dortmund

-___________________-
Really? I would have thought City picked up very few coefficient points this season.

Wonder how United's bad run effects them. Will probably be safe in pot 1 but another bad season in Europe could see us slip into Pot 2.

Edit - Just had a look, very safe in Pot 1. Way behind Barca after this season's bad run, but comfortably in 2nd almost 50 points away from dropping out of Pot 1. Nice.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Del Piero on twitter : "Nesta, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Seedorf: team mates and opponents,but never enemies. Happy to have played with you.I've great respect for you guys."

Group of death:

Barca
City
Juve
Dortmund

-___________________-

Oh god YES PLEASE!

Yeah, but see, Conte managed a similar miracle with Vucinic this year, so it's not like he didn't try with Elia. It could be something else completely, though. He seemed to have a really hard time adjusting to the whole italian culture ... Could very well be a case of wrong player in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hopefully you guys will be able to make better use of him, if he's indeed moving to Newcastle.
We'll take Papiss + cash, thanks.

I actually read an interesting stat on Vucinic. He ran more KMs with Juve than his whole career in Roma. :/ That can't be true! I mean.. two seasons combined, maybe?

dc89

Really? I would have thought City picked up very few coefficient points this season.

Wonder how United's bad run effects them. Will probably be safe in pot 1 but another bad season in Europe could see us slip into Pot 2.

I thought the same, but quite a few City people I follow on Twitter are suggesting it's a near certainty. There is still a chance we'll be in pot 3 but it's favourable for pot 2 now.

Still, imagine dat group!

Edit: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/seasonclub/index.html

I don't understand it lol.

I thought the same, but quite a few City people I follow on Twitter are suggesting it's a near certainty. There is still a chance we'll be in pot 3 but it's favourable for pot 2 now.

Still, imagine dat group!

Edit: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/seasonclub/index.html

I don't understand it lol.
This is what you want.

It's the collation of points earned over the last 5 seasons. City are 28th there, so if there are 16 teams above them there who qualify for the CL, City will remain in pot 3.

A quick look through that suggests to me that it will depend on whether some of those teams can make it into qualification spots this weekend and then whether they get through the qualifying stages.

It really was a car crash in every aspect. How one of his drunk players ended a night out :

RaamY.jpg
t8xmz.jpg

Makes Johnson's antics look pretty tame.

Sounds promising. He seems like the polar opposite of Terry Connor; quite daring in team selection, with ambitious attacking football and passion to spare.

It'll be nice to see some attacking football at the Molineux, after so many years of attempting defensive and compact football with players who can't really defend.

Certainly a more inspiring choice than Connor, Megson or Allardyce, that's for damn sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom