• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

I'd love to see Liverpool go after Klopp -- but I'm not sure I see him taking the gig.

Yeah. Highly unlikely. He has begun a wildly successful project at Dortmund and has the adoration of his players and his fans.. What reason could he possibly have outside of a new challenge? He's still so young too

I'd love to see Liverpool go after Klopp -- but I'm not sure I see him taking the gig.

Not a chance. Why would Klopp leave Dortmund? That's now his personal fiefdom! He's subdued Bayern, got a fantastic young team. 70,000 crowds every week and he's in the Champions League. Not. A. Chance. I'd be sad for Dortmund if he left, I've loved them ever since they sang You'll Never Walk Alone at Old Trafford in their '97 Champions League win.

Steve Clarke gone according to Viva and Tony Barrett (Times and former Liverpool Echo man), loyalty to Dalglish made him quit. Is anyone left?

Clegg

Klopp?

Why would he leave the reigning Bundesliga champions? They have an amazing stadium, a young team full of talented players and champions league football next season.

Can't really see what Liverpool can offer him.

Apparently Steve Clarke has left too.

Who's left?

Yup. Arguably the biggest loss. I bet they didn't see that coming.

XXLAx.jpg

Tony Barrett ‏ @TonyBarretTimes
Looks like Liverpool need a new assistant manager too. Hearing Steve Clarke has left out of loyalty to Dalglish.

Mastadon

Banned
I'd like to see Rafa back in the premiership, his style was boring but he seemed to get the job done.

Has there been any news out of RVP meeting with Wenger and Ivan?

He played negative football in his earlier seasons out of necessity. When he built his squad to his liking (08/09) we played some sublime stuff.

Rumours are we've approached a currently employed PL manager. So if true it'll be Martinez, Rodgers or Lambert then... :/

I'm gutted for Kenny. He deserved time and he didn't get it.

Hope it's going to be Lambert, out of the 3 he sounds like the smartest one tactically. Plus he could bring in Holt, Pilkington and Hoolahan.

operon

Whilst this clearout might be needed the better have names already or the ship is going to be on the rocks in quick time without anyone at the wheel

How dare you bring rationality to Football-GAF.

Sorry :(

So...

No New Stadium
No Head of Public Relations
No Managing Director
No Manager
No Assistant Manager
No Medical Staff

But at least you've got that Carling Cup thing.

Martinez might actually be a decent appointment IF he was given the time to get his philosophy across. Chances are Liverpool are approaching Alan Pardew and Graham Carr, if past trends are to be followed. May as well move the club to the North-East, it'd save a lot of time and effort. You could replace Middlesboro - they play in red and one the league cup once.

What's up football GAF. I finished my exams today. Fairly certain I failed the maths exam so university might have to wait another year. No worry, I'm swallin' til my dick falls off already. Drunk posting at 5:44pm is shameful. But sod it! It's a celebration.

While I have you hear, Mr Chriswok, who do you think would be a good fit for Villa?

No idea.

If for whatever reason Chelsea decide not to go with Di Matteo, I think he could perhaps get something going with Villa. I think the old Chelsea style would transfer over to Villa - sitting deep, playing it direct (wouldn't be far from what O'Neill set up a few seasons ago).

You can tell Chriswok has been waiting for this

Nah, like the setting of the sun it was going to happen, so why hang around waiting when I go do other things and enjoy my day. I just turned up to see the glorious spectacle as it unfolded.

Mastadon

Banned

So...

No New Stadium
No Managing Director
No Manager
No Assistant Manager
No Medical Staff

Martinez might actually be a decent appointment IF he was given the time to get his philosophy across. Chances are Liverpool are approaching Alan Pardew and Graham Carr, if past trends are to be followed. May as well move the club to the North-East, it'd save a lot of time and effort. You could replace Middlesboro - they play in red and one the league cup once.

FSG are experienced in running a large sports team. I'd find it difficult to believe that they've sacked all these execs without a short list of replacements ready to make offers to.

The problem is with Martinez, the board have made it clear that CL qualification is the objective - would they be willing to let an inexperienced manager effectively rebuild the club from the ground up if that's the minimum they expect?

Lightning

Banned
The Dalglish sacking had to happen. Too many poor performances. Finishing 8th in the PL is bad enough but Liverpool have looked reallly average ever since the PL season started and most worrying was they never got going, couldn't string any wins together to build momentum, and they performed pathetic at Anfield. It was just a disaster from start to finish and all Dalglish would do was say "bad luck" but was tactically lost when it came to finding solutions.

First McLeish (who also deserved it) and now Dalglish. Who's next?

elseanio

So...

No New Stadium
No Managing Director
No Manager
No Assistant Manager
No Medical Staff

Ian Ayre hasn't gone

FSG are experienced in running a large sports team. I'd find it difficult to believe that they've sacked all these execs without a short list of replacements ready to make offers to.

The problem is with Martinez, the board have made it clear that CL qualification is the objective - would they be willing to let an inexperienced manager effectively rebuild the club from the ground up if that's the minimum they expect?

You wouldn't be so reassured if you'd paid attention to the Red Sox most recent off season which was a lot like this. They're currently bottom of their league and quite awful. Bloody terrible really. As a fan of both teams I'm struck by the similarities. The Red Sox were similarly rudderless during the off season after everyone was sacked too.

flyover

Martinez might actually be a decent appointment IF he was given the time to get his philosophy across.

Yeah, I don't think he has the capital to do so -- with either the fans or the owners. He'd be on such a short leash that I doubt it would end well for him or the club. And I love the guy.

I personally think, if given time, he'd be great. But who knows, since he's never worked for a club with Liverpool's aspirations and budget? It's such a gamble, at a time when I'm not sure the owners would want to take such a risk.

Of the speculated candidates, Rafa and AVB make the most sense to me.

operon

The Dalglish sacking had to happen. Too many poor performances. Finishing 8th in the PL is bad enough but Liverpool have looked reallly average ever since the PL season started and most worrying was they never got going, couldn't string any wins together to build momentum, and they performed pathetic at Anfield. It was just a disaster from start to finish and all Dalglish would do was say "bad luck" but was tactically lost when it came to finding solutions.

First McLeish (who also deserved it) and now Dalglish. Who's next?

Hopefully for Jeff, Kean

Mastadon

Banned
You wouldn't be so reassured if you'd paid attention to the Red Sox most recent off season which was a lot like this. They're currently bottom of their league and quite awful. Bloody terrible really. As a fan of both teams I'm struck by the similarities. The Red Sox were similarly rudderless during the off season after everyone was sacked too.

But how long how FSG been involved with the Red Sox? I know nothing about Rounders, but havent FSG won things with the Red Sox previously?

I think clubs/owners have to realise that Objectives and Reality have to crossover at some point. You can't just demanded success because you believe you have a reputation that deserves it. Look at Chelsea this year, they hired a manager with the idea of rebuilding the team - which he tried to do (perhaps a little over zealous) and ultimately the team stuttered in the league. He was fired and replaced with someone who fell straight back into Plan A and Chelsea regained form (yet are no further forward).

Villa, Stoke, Everton, Fulham, and Newcastle have shown you can work hard at a gameplan and get into Europe (perhaps not the Champions League). Tottenham have worked over several seasons to get into the Champions League.

Liverpool more or less bought an entirely new midfield and strike force this year, while I'm reluctant to make and add excuses expecting them to gel straight away was a bit of a stretch (though you wonder how much coaching was done to encourage this considering it was poor the entire season).

What are the expectations?
How much time can you allow for them to happen?
How do you want it to happen - money or good team philosophy?

flyover

But how long how FSG been involved with the Red Sox? I know nothing about Rounders, but havent FSG won things with the Red Sox previously?

Overall, they've done a great job with the team (and I hate the Sox). It is true though that the last half year has been a total clusterfuck.

Meier

Henry and Werner bought the team in 2002. The Red Sox won their first championship in over 80 years in 2004 and then again in 2007. They'll get this thing turned around in short order at least from an executive's point of view. Who knows about the team's performance, but that would still be the case with Kenny in control.

Not true. Darren Burgess was brought by Brukner, who was really only there to rework the medical team. Burgess is overseeing the entire operation and is very highely regarded.

I do believe he's a Strength & Conditioning coach (i.e Fitness Coach) - not a Doctor or Physio.

My friend said this:

Going to tell you exactly what to expect in the coming days, if John Henry has found a media guy over there. Stories about how bad a manager KKK was, and/or details about his personal life that make the firing sound justified.

Based on how they dealt with firings with Red Sox over the years.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Just saw the repeat of Hodgson on SSN saying that he was very impressed by Oxlade-Chamberlain's performance with Arsenal at the Emirates, "up against Pirlo and Ambrosini."

lolwhat?

Mastadon

Banned
I think clubs/owners have to realise that Objectives and Reality have to crossover at some point. You can't just demanded success because you believe you have a reputation that deserves it. Look at Chelsea this year, they hired a manager with the idea of rebuilding the team - which he tried to do (perhaps a little over zealous) and ultimately the team stuttered in the league. He was fired and replaced with someone who fell straight back into Plan A and Chelsea regained form (yet are no further forward).

Villa, Stoke, Everton, Fulham, and Newcastle have shown you can work hard at a gameplan and get into Europe (perhaps not the Champions League). Tottenham have worked over several seasons to get into the Champions League.

Liverpool more or less bought an entirely new midfield and strike force this year, while I'm reluctant to make and add excuses expecting them to gel straight away was a bit of a stretch (though you wonder how much coaching was done to encourage this considering it was poor the entire season).

What are the expectations?
How much time can you allow for them to happen?
How do you want it to happen - money or good team philosophy?

Agreed, and I was being slightly disingenuous with saying that 4th is the expectation of the board. Of course they say that publicly, because it's the expectation of the fans, rightly or wrongly. I'm sure if we finished 5th or 6th and FSG felt we'd made process then Kenny would have been safe.

Of course the fans would like an holistic approach to growing the club, but you have to question how realistic that is with the clubs above and around us constantly improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom