• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
I wanted Holt to be selected for England... Oh well.

Walcott picked? LOL. Yeah, good luck with that. I'm glad Chamberlain is in as even if he only gets a few minutes he will be better for the experience and has a bright future ahead of him so I am pleased for Chamberlain. His inclusion will be good for Arsenal since we didn't give him enough minutes on the pitch.

flyover

Just saw the repeat of Hodgson on SSN saying that he was very impressed by Oxlade-Chamberlain's performance with Arsenal at the Emirates, "up against Pirlo and Ambrosini."

lolwhat?

Probably just saw him scrimmaging with Van Persie's kids in some replica Milan kits before this season's Arsenal-WBA match.

You wouldn't be so reassured if you'd paid attention to the Red Sox most recent off season which was a lot like this. They're currently bottom of their league and quite awful. Bloody terrible really. As a fan of both teams I'm struck by the similarities. The Red Sox were similarly rudderless during the off season after everyone was sacked too.

They've won five in a row. And beat my Indians in a recent series.

Ah, I think we share a common bond. For my troubles I also follow the Cleveland Indians, Cavaliers and (browns).

Just occurred to me that they summoned Dalglish to America to fire him. I'm not sure if that's cold hearted or not, as at least they talked to him face-to-face... after a 9 hour flight.

I know, they're incredibly streaky this season. Before that 5 wins in a row they lost 5 in a row. Still bottom and not over .500 this season. Bullpen's a mess, closer position's a mess. Starting rotation isn't great. Carl Crawford and Dice-K are possibly two of the worst signings in MLB history. Both of whom arrived at the club with HUGE reputations and have subsequently failed not unlike Carroll (whose rep was big when he arrived) and Downing (who had the most assists in the league last season I believe).

Was just saying FSG might have experience, but they don't get everything right.

I wanted Holt to be selected for England... Oh well.

Walcott picked? LOL. Yeah, good luck with that. I'm glad Chamberlain is in as even if he only gets a few minutes he will be better for the experience and has a bright future ahead of him so I am pleased for Chamberlain. His inclusion will be good for Arsenal since we didn't give him enough minutes on the pitch.

I was surprised Chamberlain didn't play much considering how weak our midfield has been

I do believe he's a Strength & Conditioning coach (i.e Fitness Coach) - not a Doctor or Physio.

My friend said this:

Based on how they dealt with firings with Red Sox over the years.

Your friend wouldn't be wrong. They dragged Francona behind a chariot after they fired him. And he helped them get two world series. He was a good manager, imo

Ah, I think we share a common bond. For my troubles I also follow the Cleveland Indians, Cavaliers and (browns).

OMG, can we be best friends? Why do you root for Cleveland sports?

I know, they're incredibly streaky this season. Before that 5 wins in a row they lost 5 in a row. Still bottom and not over .500 this season. Bullpen's a mess, closer position's a mess. Starting rotation isn't great. Carl Crawford and Dice-K are possibly two of the worst signings in MLB history. Both of whom arrived at the club with HUGE reputations and have subsequently failed not unlike Carroll (whose rep was big when he arrived) and Downing (who had the most assists in the league last season I believe).

Was just saying FSG might have experience, but they don't get everything right.

I was just saying. Especially because I was pretty mad we were so bad against you.

Your friend wouldn't be wrong. They dragged Francona behind a chariot after they fired him. And he helped them get two world series. He was a good manager, imo

The treatment of Francona was disgraceful. He was humiliated by the Red Sox after they fired him. Epstein was the same. Admittedly they did get him back for the anniversary of Fenway celebrations and he got a huge reception, I think some peace was made then.

Awesome Animals said:
I was just saying. Especially because I was pretty mad we were so bad against you.

I know. I was amazed we beat your lot to be honest. I'm sad and mad because I know the next time we lose we'll end up losing another 5-6 in a row. We've got no chance against the Yankees, Rays and even the damn Orioles this season. I damn mad.

caramac

Speaking as someone who was a 20 y/o match going Liverpool supporter when Dalglish first signed for Liverpool as a player
.......bad feelings right now.

OMG, can we be best friends? Why do you root for Cleveland sports?

I used to support all the Seattle teams then they took the Sonics away, so I wasn't sure what to do (as I wanted to have all US sports teams in 1 city).
Around the same time I read in a Newcastle Fanzine about some guys trip to Cleveland and how similar the Browns were in regards to Newcastle... so I just went with Cleveland. Sort of wish I hadn't as the Browns really suck (more than Newcastle ever will or did). Cavs are good though (well... you know what I mean they keep things interesting), and the Indians seem more like Newcastle in that they're hot and cold and all the bigger teams want their players.

Speaking as someone who was a 20 y/o match going Liverpool supporter when Dalglish first signed for Liverpool as a player
.......bad feelings right now.

*Huggles* I was only 3 when he resigned. I loved actually seeing the man my dad talked about as the boss, even if the league form wasn't great. I'm sad now. But definitely I love Rafa more than Kenny to be honest. Rafa was the man who really made me 'into' football in general. Inspired me to look more into stats and actual coaching. Great, great man.

It will be interesting to see where Falcao goes this summer. CEO of Atleti said it would be almost impossible to keep him if they didn't make it into the Champions League.

GQman2121

Banned
No way is Liverpool even a possibility for Pep. He must be falling over job offers.

Roman has already handpicked a beautiful 500 ft. yacht as a gift for Pep's appointment party.

It will be interesting to see where Falcao goes this summer. CEO of Atleti said it would be almost impossible to keep him if they didn't make it into the Champions League.

Does he have a buy-out built into his contract? I could see Real having a strong interest if Higuain does leave.

Wilbur

Banned

The price they bought him for and the fact he's proven himself in a stronger league though... Could easily go for 60m. Probably worth it considering the market as well, one of those strikers that could play anywhere and score goals.

Naw, Cleveland is a cool city to have picked. Definitely not a typical bandwagon town. Your heart will be broken into a million pieces every year in every sport, but still...

I'm totally invested in the Basketball team (that's easily my #2 sport). Interest in the NFL franchise has waned greatly since their got rid of Romeo. I know he wasn't amazing or anything, but the guy got the team playing some great D.

I used to support all the Seattle teams then they took the Sonics away, so I wasn't sure what to do (as I wanted to have all US sports teams in 1 city).
Around the same time I read in a Newcastle Fanzine about some guys trip to Cleveland and how similar the Browns were in regards to Newcastle... so I just went with Cleveland. Sort of wish I hadn't as the Browns really suck (more than Newcastle ever will or did). Cavs are good though (well... you know what I mean they keep things interesting), and the Indians seem more like Newcastle in that they're hot and cold and all the bigger teams want their players.

The Browns seem to be turning around, just very, very slowly. We weren't put into the best position in 1999 when the team returned, and we still haven't really righted the ship. It's unfortunate because our team has a very good, dedicated, and passionate fanbase. One of the largest as well in the sport.

The Indians have an excellent farm system (which works similar to the way the B teams in Spain work), constantly bringing new talent to the majors. Unfortunately our Owners are cheap, and refuse to spend the money to keep and maintain our team. It's funny though, because all Indians fans always point out a former Indian player that is now playing well for another team. We have a good team now, that hopefully should come good this year or next.

I'm not a fan of basketball, but the Cavaliers are a good franchise that should be back to being competitive in the next year or so.

The price they bought him for and the fact he's proven himself in a stronger league though... Could easily go for 60m. Probably worth it considering the market as well, one of those strikers that could play anywhere and score goals.

He won't go for 60 million if they are forced to sell him though.

Someone please caption this! Definitely worth one of those "whatcha thinkin about?" ones.

FbgWz.jpg

The Browns seem to be turning around, just very, very slowly. We weren't put into the best position in 1999 when the team returned, and we still haven't really righted the ship. It's unfortunate because our team has a very good, dedicated, and passionate fanbase. One of the largest as well in the sport.

The Indians have an excellent farm system (which works similar to the way the B teams in Spain work), constantly bringing new talent to the majors. Unfortunately our Owners are cheap, and refuse to spend the money to keep and maintain our team. It's funny though, because all Indians fans always point out a former Indian player that is now playing well for another team. We have a good team now, that hopefully should come good this year or next.

I'm not a fan of basketball, but the Cavaliers are a good franchise that should be back to being competitive in the next year or so.

That was what guy in the Fanzine said when comparing them to Newcastle. Hadn't won anything in ages, yet still had one of the best supports in the league. So I just went with that.

GQman2121

Banned

Couch being a bust set that franchise back 10 years. That's unfortunately kind of how it goes though with top QB picks.

And don't get me started with cheap owners of baseball teams......

All the Browns QB picks have been busts!

Couch
Anderson*
Quinn
(Colt McCoy)

I guess picking a 40 year old Virgin as a QB is a way to buck the trend.

dc89

I don't see what's wrong with this

What's wrong with that?

Edit* Oh yeah, we should do tunnel cam and have videos of the player baking a cake

Weirdo dc strikes again.

Now now.

It's just free highlights of a few games from the Online subscription thing. It doesn't work for me, tried to watch Gerrard's hat-trick versus Everton.

Edit: I was looking at something else.

Rightfully, the man is a Liverpool legend.

There's one of Nasri taking a dump on the City one, what's your point?

My point is that I think it doesn't sit right, its a bit of a confused message.

I am not disputing Dalglish's standing with Liverpool fans. He is a legend, anyone can see that. That's not my point.

The owner is calling him "the heart and soul of the club". But he felt he needed to fire him, Kenny didn't walk, he was fired. So I think it's a bit of a confused message to send out a video which is a tribute to a man you just fired. Some may say it comes across a bit like

"Well Kenny, you didn't achieve what we expected so you're fired. But we're doing a nice tribute video for you"

I'm just a bit confused on the message it sends out.

A tribute video doesn't hide the fact that his last term at Liverpool is considered by some as a failure, it doesn't hide the fact that people questioned his appointment in the first place.

Plus, who ever steps in to that dressing room, God help them. Hodgson had a hard time because he wasn't the big name the players felt they deserved. Martinez has no chance if he's the man they go for. IF they get a big name manager, and he fails and goes. Then they will turn to another Chelsea, the big names will be afraid of going or just turn up and get sacked and love the pay off.

All the Browns QB picks have been busts!

Couch
Anderson*
Quinn
(Colt McCoy)

I guess picking a 40 year old Virgin as a QB is a way to buck the trend.

Those are our QBs since '99. Compared to another franchise.

Couch being a bust set that franchise back 10 years. That's unfortunately kind of how it goes though with top QB picks.

And don't get me started with cheap owners of baseball teams......

I love Camden Yards, and the Orioles have done well so far this season.

rodvik

Now now.

My point is that I think it doesn't sit right, its a bit of a confused message.

I am not disputing Dalglish's standing with Liverpool fans. He is a legend, anyone can see that. That's not my point.

The owner is calling him "the heart and soul of the club". But he felt he needed to fire him, Kenny didn't walk, he was fired. So I think it's a bit of a confused message to send out a video which is a tribute to a man you just fired. Some may say it comes across a bit like

"Well Kenny, you didn't achieve what we expected so you're fired. But we're doing a nice tribute video for you"

I'm just a bit confused on the message it sends out.

Plus, who ever steps in to that dressing room, God help them. Hodgson had a hard time because he wasn't the big name the players felt they deserved. Martinez has no chance if he's the man they go for. IF they get a big name manager, and he fails and goes. Then they will turn to another Chelsea, the big names will be afraid of going or just turn up and get sacked and love the pay off.

It seems pretty natural to me. Sorry it didnt work out kenny but we recognise you have been a fantastic servant to the club.

Agree its going to be incredibly hard for any new manager at Liverpool though. Rafa would have the easiest ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom