• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

Those are our QBs since '99. Compared to another franchise.

I love Camden Yards, and the Orioles have done well so far this season.

I never understood why you guys picked up Delhomme.. I loved in while he was at the Panthers until it was clear he was done and Fox kept him as a starter

dc89

Hazard to City has been nailed on for a month now.

A truly fearsome attack at that club now.

Aguero, Silva, Nasri(Is he fearsome?), Hazard(?), Tevez

tumblr_m1ijqgYEoC1r0qd8k.gif

Fady K

Guys, how have you been? It's been an incredible end to the season in so many leagues this year hasn't it? The way City ended their season has to be the most epic thing ever . I could not believe my eyes; I wonder how great the true City fans must have felt. Especially those in tears watching it live knowing that their team may have very well screwed up in the most spectacular fashion. What. an. ending. Very fitting it was by Aguero too.

Had no idea duckroll knew his football well either!

dc and Manager
and Fady
don't make for much of a Cityfest.

Well congrats Dortmund and Phantast2k
and Fady

Haha this is how wonderful it is when you love everyone :p

So happy for you bro, especially in the way it ended. For once it is the blue side of Manchester that were "the comeback kings". Even if you were to win so many trophies for years to come, you will surely never forget the way you win this one. Insane.

Congrats dc. I never expected that ending in a million years. But it was a fitting ending to probably the most exciting Premier League season ever.

Can't argue there. A far more exciting end than I could have ever bargained for.

I don't know where dc is but I sent him a PM. He deserves this more than anyone.

And what a season it has been for you Yurt. Both saddening and yet so maddeningly awesome. At the very least, you can console yourself with the fact that Del Piero ended his run with the team when they brought the trophy back without losing a single game. How fitting.

I don't think I've ever used "cunt" in this thread (or any thread). So here goes: Fady is a
gent

iqPECh0jZDyhC.gif

Oh wait! How nice of you ;D Never did like that c-word :p

Fiancee took this of me after Kun's winner..

Great photo. Can't imagine what it must feel like to snatch a TITLE with your team's last kick of their season.

Disappointment in Chelsea's league finish (and lack of confidence regarding Munich) aside, this has been a magnificent season, one of the best I've ever witnessed. The final day of the PL was a great advertisement for the sport and the league in general. So much drama, so many memorable moments...glad Euro 2012 is there to tide things over a bit.

Agreed on all fronts. Though it VERY surprisingly turned out to be far better than last season. Interesting new players, a trophy against a team we tend to always lose against these days, a recovery from a horrible destructive mid-season with a very welcome change of atmosphere, and a champions league final after going through some really tough teams, many of which were amazing comebacks.

Hey guys! United didn't win any silveware this season, but I did!

33e176b09a1911e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Go and play your part and join the team bro! How far is ManU's base of operations from your home :p?

Dunno if this has been posted.

Manchester-United-lose-title-gif.gif

SO MUCH MILEAGE can be had with that GIF.

I cannot imagine what the fans must have felt like, or the players. Painful! Though United did inflict this kind of torture on Bayern fans in 1999 and Chelsea fans in 2008. It all flows around I guess.

<3 Fadys jacket avatar is so bad lol.

I know bro! I suck at this stuff :(

Very happy for the guy. I have a feeling he will do well. Nice kit too, better than this seasons' IMO.

Yeah it was stupid. City have issued an apology to United and Fergie.

My favorite jacket avatar.

Glad you liked it ;D I also knew that City would respond quickly to that Tevez sign-holding issue, when they have a PR practitioner such as yourself, you expect the job to be done right in a timely fashion ;D

I wonder how embarrassed they were that they all turned up in the same outfit.

I guess you were being sarcastic :p But in case you weren't, this is their traditional clothing.

untitled-155lc7.gif

Hey guys, its my birthday. I am 26 as of 8 mins ago. Lets celebrate. please :(

messi%2Bcumple.jpg

Happy bday bro :) Here's hoping to a better season and a better year overall for you :)

FbxWb.png

Mancini has arrived in Abu Dhabi to meet His Grace and the board for their annual meeting.

He's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere :D Saw this on TV earlier, they all looked so happy :D I hope he succeeds at City. He just needs to calm down more, poor guy gets frustrated too quickly :[

You say that like its a bad thing. Also I am not even close, Fady (where is he gone?) and Yurt and Awesome are so far ahead of everyone else.

Bro, I missed you. Any awesome kits for your bday? I've been lurking in the past few days, though I must say the season was very enjoyable at the end. A lot of crazy highlights!

Fuck me. Downing, Carroll and Jones shouldn't be any where near there. Lennon, Crouch and Richards should be.

How on earth is someone like Downing still getting picked? Not only is he an embarrassingly ordinary footballer, he has a complete lack of balls as well. At least players like Jones and Carroll have a bit of English bottle about them.

Very disappointing overall by Roy I must say. Many odd decisions.

faridmon

Man, this thread is boring when football is not on.

I forgot to congratulate on Messi on his birthday. Happy D... I mean D-day Messi, hope that Unicef have worked wonders for you as they alwasy did.

I think you guys are giving up on McCoy a little too soon, I thought he was improving, is not like he had much help last yr

Eh...He made some bad decision, but he did have zero help last year. I don't think he is our QB down the line, but I don't think Weeden is either. I have more faith in Weeden to be an average or above average QB than McCoy. Colt is small and has a weak arm, I think that ultimately hurts him.

I'm glad we picked up Richardson, and our defense is improving, but the injury to Taylor hurt. This season will be interesting, but it doesn't help that we have two of the best six teams in the league in our division. We will see I guess.

EDIT: All things considered, my love for the NFL waned as soon as I started closely following Villa, and the EPL.

Arnie

Feel sad and relieved at the same time. Very strange sensation. Didn't feel we were progressing and I genuinely feared another summer of equally inept spending, but at the same time I think Kenny deserved the whole clubs backing.

If we get a top manager in and make some positive signings I'm sure the sadness will disappear; if we get Martinez that sadness will quickly turn to anger.

WJD

Tevez:

"It seems like Ferguson is the President of England."
"Every time he speaks badly about a player or says terrible things about me, nobody demands that he apologise."

Just fuck off into a cave and never come back you idiot.

rodvik

Feel sad and relieved at the same time. Very strange sensation. Didn't feel we were progressing and I genuinely feared another summer of equally inept spending, but at the same time I think Kenny deserved the whole clubs backing.

If we get a top manager in and make some positive signings I'm sure the sadness will disappear; if we get Martinez that sadness will quickly turn to anger.

Interesting. Agreed on Martinez. he really is the media love of the moment. He just isnt that that good when you look at what he has achieved versus Bruce at Wigan.

dc89

I don't know where dc is but I sent him a PM. He deserves this more than anyone.

And it was a nice PM too! Thanks Yurt, I have a lot of respect for Juve and what they have achieved this season! I hope City and Juve clash in the CL!

Guys, how have you been? It's been an incredible end to the season in so many leagues this year hasn't it? The way City ended their season has to be the most epic thing ever . I could not believe my eyes; I wonder how great the true City fans must have felt. Especially those in tears watching it live knowing that their team may have very well screwed up in the most spectacular fashion. What. an. ending. Very fitting it was by Aguero too.

So happy for you bro, especially in the way it ended. For once it is the blue side of Manchester that were "the comeback kings". Even if you were to win so many trophies for years to come, you will surely never forget the way you win this one. Insane.

I cannot imagine what the fans must have felt like, or the players. Painful! Though United did inflict this kind of torture on Bayern fans in 1999 and Chelsea fans in 2008. It all flows around I guess.

Glad you liked it ;D I also knew that City would respond quickly to that Tevez sign-holding issue, when they have a PR practitioner such as yourself, you expect the job to be done right in a timely fashion ;D

He's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere :D Saw this on TV earlier, they all looked so happy :D I hope he succeeds at City. He just needs to calm down more, poor guy gets frustrated too quickly :[

Hey Fady!!! Thanks for the Congrats! It was an immense feeling.

Yeah, Mancini gets really frustrated too easily. I hope he's calmer next season and he cuts out the card waving. But saying that, I think he has already. Not seen that for a few weeks. :p

Fry

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

Btw, who's soultron? :p

dc89

I like transfer window speculation etc, but only when it comes to buying! I shit myself when I hear Aguero to Real and Yaya to anywhere stories :p

City coach Fausto Salsano:
We will reinforce in midfield & further in front, with a few wingers who have different characteristics.

"The objective is 3-4 important players to add to a strong side."

Salsano also seemed to rule out a move for Ezequiel Lavezzi but regarding Edison Cavani said only: "It's too early to talk about Cavani."

3/4 players. I was expecting 1/2. Must have one hell of a clear out planned. I hear if you buy Adebayor you can get Weiss free and Santa Cruz half price!

Even if it's bull it's still interesting to talk about.

elsk

Banned
Looks like we're interested in Yaya (according to rumors). Would be amazing! a midfield of Schweinsteiger, Yaya and Kroos.

Arnie

Interesting. Agreed on Martinez. he really is the media love of the moment. He just isnt that that good when you look at what he has achieved versus Bruce at Wigan.
Exactly. Just like Hodgson was before him. Sure, you can argue that Martinez' style is slightly more suited to the aspirations of a more successful club, but I still don't think that's enough. Liverpool can't afford another failed punt. We can't afford another Hodgson. We need a manager who's going to take us through the next decade, not the next season.

And that doesn't mean they have to be young. I've seen that floating around and it's bullshit.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

Btw, who's soultron? :p

He's someone who's prominent in OT and the picture thread, surprised you haven't seen him. You both look very similar, which is a good thing. Soultron's a baller.

dc89

I sold Weiss to Man U for $40 million in FM 12 Handheld. He was only valued at $16 million but I guess they really wanted him. :lol

Haha! I think he's off on a permanent move in summer. The way he disrespected City and the fans when he was at Rangers was just a silly move on his part. He's a rebel.

Meier

Looks like we're interested in Yaya (according to rumors). Would be amazing! a midfield of Schweinsteiger, Yaya and Kroos.

A Yahoo! writer said to me that Yaya makes £330,000 per week which works out to about &#8364;410,000. Would Bayern be willing to pay that (or more) to a player? I don't really know the typical salary structure for your players but even if he "only" makes in the £200-250,000 range that is usually reported, I figure that must be quite high for Bayern since you guys make such major profits.

elsk

Banned
A Yahoo! writer said to me that Yaya makes £330,000 per week which works out to about &#8364;410,000. Would Bayern be willing to pay that (or more) to a player? I don't really know the typical salary structure for your players but even if he "only" makes in the £200-250,000 range that is usually reported, I figure that must be quite high for Bayern since you guys make such major profits.

If he really wants to leave, either to Barcelona or Bayern I'm pretty sure he knows he has to take a salary cut. And half our XI salaries are around 200-250,000 I believe (not real sure, we only get info of how much they earn per season, not per week).

Meier

If he really wants to leave, either to Barcelona or Bayern I'm pretty sure he knows he has to take a salary cut. And half our XI salaries are around 200-250,000 I believe (not real sure, we only get info of how much they earn per season, not per week).

Well this guy claimed that Yaya was making $25 million per year which works out to about £15.5 million/&#8364;19.4 million. Again, that's a lot higher than most places are reporting it but who knows. He said his wages are on par with Messi's.

dc89

jjfTz.png

QixRh.png

Mancini meets the Sheikh.

---

:O City V United in the Manchester Senior Cup final tomorrow at the Etihad. It's the reserves but it could be a good game.

If I wasn't full of a cold I'd probably go for £5.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The napoletani are convinced they've totally got this, so if there'll be tears, it will be over Cavani's hattrick. You know this to be true. We are already dead.

I was discussing this with a couple of bianconeri friends over a glass of fine slovenian wine the other day. We ended up agreeing that it will indeed take a special kind of CF to take advantage of our style of playing. An old-school striker like Trezeguet or Toni would be useless for us. What we need is someone that'll be a) willing to participate in the ball retaking phase, a tireless runner, especially when we're playing with 4-3-3, because you can't expect the three midfielders to do all the dirty work b) able to hold and defend the ball up front for more than a couple of seconds, giving our midfielders time to run past him and into the box c) a clinical finisher, someone with an outstanding shots taken / goals scored ratio.

Basically, we need Mourinho's Eto'o. :)

Juve is being linked with both Van Persie and Cavani. But it seems like if it's going to be possible, it'll be either one or the other of course (but imagine both!).

I'm torn. I think both strikers have their advantages. I think Van Persie is, frankly, a better striker, and I know he'll immediately benefit from playing in front of our midfield. I think once he hits his stride in Serie A, he'll be able to easily hit 20-25 goals. But that's the problem: I'm afraid he'll take a long time to adjust. See: Huntelaar for a prolific Dutch striker who could not adjust in Serie A. Goal.com is saying Juve is out of the race because of RVP's wage demands, but if today's Arsenal talks don't go as planned, then it's game on. The guy is 28. If he's going to try another European league it might be now or never. But that's why Cavani is, in some ways, a better option. He's already a Serie A veteran with a proven goal scoring record. He's Conte's type of player, coming back to help the defence, a tireless runner, creative on and off the ball. On the other hand, Juventus has a sordid recent history of prolific strikers who come to Juve and after a year of amazing football decide that their time is best spent cleaning the hot tubs rather than scoring goals. But, we'll also have to pay out of our ass because De Laurentiis hates us.

I think, all told, we'll probably end up with Cavani and hope things work out. He's younger, he's got a national teammate in our ranks in Caceres (Elia doesn't count as a national teammate of RVP :lol) and he'll slot in perfectly into our system. But I hope we don't come to regret not going for RVP. He's just so clinical.

I agree with you both really.

Lavezzi kinda ruined everything for us, didn't he? Not only did he show Cavani how the fans turned on him in a day, I also don't expect ADL to sell TWO of his stars in one season.

If he chooses to play for Barca/Madrid/Man City he certainly won't be the *main star* of the team, unlike say Juve. A team with, let's face it, no consistent striker. :(

RVP would be delicious, but I hear he wants 7.5m? Fuck that! Paying a huge sum for a player + low wages > lesser fee + insanely high wages. We'll end up paying way more for RVP and he's older, inexperienced in Serie A, and injury prone!

Let's use our wildcard on Cavani and get this over with!

m7RtDm.jpg

And yes we're going to lose in the Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom