• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

Yes, let's

tumblr_lpj17dGOMA1qeoat7.gif

Objection!!

tumblr_ls29774R3x1r2a5cbo1_500.gif

tumblr_m3po0yp7Ri1r30r4xo1_500.gif

Fwiw I wasn't offended by anything anyone has said in here, just thought that was an interesting and IMO poorly reasoned point of view and thought it was worth fleshing out.

Anyway, as we were.

It's pretty much bottom of the agenda today but I think England omitting Ferdinand is going to go down very badly. A lot of people seem convinced it was a decision based on the Terry incident and they're pretty disappointed (that's putting it nicely) that England are backing the alleged racist.

Of course it's not as straightforward as that but that's how it looks...which is Terry should be suspended from England till he is proven innocent/guilty.

Rio favourited a tweet from a United blogger who was saying the FA have screwed him over time and time again. Think he's done now.

Messi

Which one, there are so many. Lucky 13 or something from the OC? I need to watch the OC still

Edit: lucky 13 was/is my fave house episode. Might watch it tonight

Fady K

My colleague! Unveiled at last.

<3 Best PR job evarrrrrr

Marchiiisiiiooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

tumblr_m44h6eK7Js1r30r4xo1_500.gif

Best non-ellen page gif for me (where he takes a sip haha). I love this guy. Soooooo classy :D

Fwiw I wasn't offended by anything anyone has said in here, just thought that was an interesting and IMO poorly reasoned point of view and thought it was worth fleshing out.

Anyway, as we were.

It's pretty much bottom of the agenda today but I think England omitting Ferdinand is going to go down very badly. A lot of people seem convinced it was a decision based on the Terry incident and they're pretty disappointed (that's putting it nicely) that England are backing the alleged racist.

Of course it's not as straightforward as that but that's how it looks...which is Terry should be suspended from England till he is proven innocent/guilty.

Rio favourited a tweet from a United blogger who was saying the FA have screwed him over time and time again. Think he's done now.

From one United fan to another, I think you did the right thing bro ;D I think there's a lot more to gain out of points similar to those that you brought up earlier. You are sharing info about something that others may not know about. The more people know, the better, so I say good job IMO.

And for Rio, even though I ain't a fan of his much, I was not convinced by Roy's excuses today. He says he talked to him, but I do wonder - what could he have said? Why couldn't Roy have just mentioned that he talked with Ferguson about it and that there was an agreement that he's not in the best position to play right now, rather than say he barely had an international game in ages?

Wes

venison crêpe
I believe Ron's "footballing reasons" choice. Somewhat. He couldn't pick them both because of the issues - granted. Hwoever, I would pick Terry to play alongside two of his clubmates over Ferdinand.

Fady K

Finally watched Captain America btw. Not bad, not that great though. Haley atwell was kind of pretty. One thing I really liked though? The ending. Not what I expected. Sure, it was brief, but still, cool. Tomorrow I'll check Thor out, God willing : D

TeegsD

I find other cultures extremely interesting. I really should have studied Anthropology. Although, I wish I had more time in school so I could have delved into the politics of the Middle East more.

OMG, little kids in football kits might be the most adorable thing in the world.

It totally is. I hope SoccerTriads is still around in like 10-15 years.

Finally watched Captain America btw. Not bad, not that great though. Haley atwell was kind of pretty. One thing I really liked though? The ending. Not what I expected. Sure, it was brief, but still, cool. Tomorrow I'll check Thor out, God willing : D

the current crop of Marvel movies share a lot in common with WWE programming: you're always waiting for a payoff that never quite arrives, but they give you enough to think it might arrive next time!

Messi

I thought it was an enjoyable watch and I agree that ending is thoriffic. I was all like :/ . Can't wait to see Avengers.

I thought Thor was good, hemsworth makes a great Thor. Most of the stuff he said made me crack a smile. When he is being all superpowery he is epic.

I liked captain America more which I did not expect.

defel

I believe Ron's "footballing reasons" choice. Somewhat. He couldn't pick them both because of the issues - granted. Hwoever, I would pick Terry to play alongside two of his clubmates over Ferdinand.

I think its a case of Terry being picked for "footballing reasons" and Ferdinand being omitted for "other" reasons. Roy, as the manager, has to pick the best players for the squad given the situation. Its not his responsibility to pass judgement on Terry's beliefs, all he can pass judgement on is his ability on the field. It is the FA's responsibility to suspend Terry until he is proven guilty or otherwise and the blame lies with them, not Hodgson.

choodi

Banned
So finally caught up on the thread a little...
didn't read the last few pages where ignorant people started criticising the dress sense of others

Two points to make:
  • With all the complaints from the England fans about their team selection, did any of you stop to consider that no matter who Roy picked they are not going to be anywhere near world class anyway?
  • Are any of the Liverpool fans even a little surprised or even disappointed that a manager who spent £100 million+ on complete flops and could only finish 8th got the sack?

Fady K

Have you guys seen Cabin in the Woods? Such a strange yet pretty awesome film.

I find other cultures extremely interesting. I really
should have studied Anthropology. Although, I wish I had more time in school so I could have delved into the politics of the Middle East more.

It really is interesting bro; when you know more about other cultures and form a better understanding it makes things more interesting and approachable. You're in the US right? I even find it insane how the US itself is full of soooooooo many cultures, you can spend a lifetime learning about different cultures in the US alone! The UAE is pretty crazy in that regard too; tiny country, yet full of people from all over!

the current crop of Marvel movies share a lot in common with WWE programming: you're always waiting for a payoff that never quite arrives, but they give you enough to think it might arrive next time!

I blame the Avengers bro! Ever since they had the idea everything became a "prologue" to that film. Also, is it just me or are the "final battles" in Marvel films over in a few seconds nowadays? (Iron Man 2? Captain America?)

One Marvel movie that blew the rest out of the water IMO was X-Men: First Class. One of my favorite films in fact!

I thought it was an enjoyable watch and I agree that ending is thoriffic. I was all like :/ . Can't wait to see Avengers.

I thought Thor was good, hemsworth makes a great Thor. Most of the stuff he said made me crack a smile. When he is being all superpowery he is epic.

I liked captain America more which I did not expect.

Chris Evans was pretty good huh?

You haven't seen the Avengers yet man? That makes two of us! I look forward to Thor, but I must say, based on the trailers - Cap'n America looked more interesting. Thor looked kind of "plain" outside Thor's kingdom (forgot what it was called :p).

rodvik

So finally caught up on the thread a little...
didn't read the last few pages where ignorant people started criticising the dress sense of others

Two points to make:
  • With all the complaints from the England fans about their team selection, did any of you stop to consider that no matter who Roy picked they are not going to be anywhere near world class anyway?
  • Are any of the Liverpool fans even a little surprised or even disappointed that a manager who spent £100 million+ on complete flops and could only finish 8th got the sack?

Yes but this one is particularly bad. Its not young enough to be useful for the world cup and isnt strong enough with proven players to do anything this year.

On the plus side my expectations are now that we will not make it out of our group so at least the agony will be short lived.

dc89

OMG! Southend go down the other end and score. They need one more to take it to 3-3! Are they doing a City?! 3 mins plus injury time to play.

Fady K

As7b6.jpg

OMG at Little Pirlo! Looks just like his daddy.

BTW for the Assassin's Creed fans in here who watched the live action AC2 prequel film "Lineage" - Pirlo reminds me of Ezio's father haha!

Olivia Wilde is so overrated. Just had to share that thought with everyone.

tumblr_m0qn1vNC9M1r9mt7oo8_250.gif

And great shots of the Juve celebrations. Can't help but have great admiration for that club and their football.
And no, I'm not saying that as a gloryhunting American in search for a club that actually does win silverware.

dc89

How is that Powell lad doing. What type of player is he?

Not having the best of games but has an assist to his name.

Oh, what type of player is he?! Well he scores goals :p

He can play second striker, advanced midfielder type where they drift around the box but he can also play a more deep midfield position so for a 17 year old he's pretty impressive.

Fergie wants him yeah?

I blame the Avengers bro! Ever since they had the idea everything became a "prologue" to that film. Also, is it just me or are the "final battles" in Marvel films over in a few seconds nowadays? (Iron Man 2? Captain America?)

One Marvel movie that blew the rest out of the water IMO was X-Men: First Class. One of my favorite films in fact!

Definitely! Iron Man 2 is the worst for going overboard with the Avengers stuff. As you said, the ending. Loved Mickey Rourke's character but he was over and done with in minutes. I Didn't like the way they mixed Whiplash and the Crimson Dynamo either.

I really hope Ben Kingsley's role in the third film is Mandarin.. I'm really surprised he hasn't shown up at all yet.

Oxx

I kinda want to get some Diablo 3, but I'm not sure if

a) I want to download 12GB
b) My mac will run it well
c) The servers are still messed-up

^^How old is your Mac? Mine is from March 2011, and runs it fine!

It really is interesting bro; when you know more about other cultures and form a better understanding it makes things more interesting and approachable. You're in the US right? I even find it insane how the US itself is full of soooooooo many cultures, you can spend a lifetime learning about different cultures in the US alone! The UAE is pretty crazy in that regard too; tiny country, yet full of people from all over!

I am in the U.S. and in one of the most culturally bland areas of the country :/ Perspective I suppose.

Regarding Diablo III, I'm only at Level 10 (or 11) and I'm loving it. Played with a few buds last night, and they've made a lot of touches that make it a much easier to handle game than Diablo II. Things like walking over gold to pick it up, town portal spell, etc.

My battletag is BruceWillis#1802, and realID is
tfisher21 at gmail.com
. Add me if you're playing! You too Kyoufu! (although you guys may not be playing on the US servers)

I tried running the guest pass on my 2009 Dell Inspiron a few hours ago.

Needless to say, it was on lowest everything in 4:3 and it was pretty much playable (though not very pretty at all). Lasted about 30 minutes before it crashed the laptop.

I really need to buy a desktop one of these days..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom