• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

The bastion of solid transfer news that is the Mail says we want to sign Pienaar for £5m and because Everton are paupers they won't be able to afford it.

But whenever Everton and Sunderland compete in something, they win. It's fucking shit and I hate them.

I see(Comolli)! Good for you that your top brass is at least not blind.

I feel like Liverpool should look for talent outside of the typical "hot spots", just like we did when we couldn't compete with the Bundesliga top3 in monetary terms (Poland, Japan). We will still have to resort to that policy, but now that we became, sort of a, graduate school for top talent, some players even take wage hits to play for us (like Reus). I guess Arsenal already took that place in the EPL, so you should do what, for instance, Utd. did with Chincharito.
I guess signing a new team manager who'd introduce modern tactics/system would help a great deal too. But that would take time (took Klopp 2-3 years really) and I guess a big name like Liverpool has no time to spare.
Still, I hope you can improve next season.

dc89

I've decided I'll go see that Prometheus everyone is going on about!

Can't go on release date sadly, 4th June it is.

PaulLFC

I'm not sure that's fair on FSG to be honest. I don't think it's just the results, it's more the fact that, to my mind at least, Kenny doesn't have a clear plan on how to take the club forward. We've all commented on his strange tactics, or his reticence to make subs at key times, or the fact that he doesn't seem to know his best 11 throughout the season. That, alongside his at times embarrassing media handling throughout the season made it the right decision in my eyes.
I have no idea where our club's going at the moment to be honest, I just hope FSG do. There were rumours a couple of days ago that Xavi Valero was offered a contract to return as goalkeeping coach - Pepe seemed to rate him very highly when he was here when Rafa was manager, so it seemed like it'd be a great appointment. But that contract was probably considered on the basis of working with Kenny, and as now that obviously won't be the case, where does that leave Valero?

Same for players - however badly-handled the whole situation was, Kenny backed Suarez 100%. Now Kenny's gone - will Suarez consider his future, or even worse, will FSG look to move him on if they're as concerned with the PR and public image of the club as it seems they are with the sackings of Kenny and primarily Ian Cotton?

So many questions, none of which we'll know the answer to for a long while. I hate times like this.

Lakitu

st5fu
I have no idea where our club's going at the moment to be honest, I just hope FSG do. There were rumours a couple of days ago that Xavi Valero was offered a contract to return as goalkeeping coach - Pepe seemed to rate him very highly when he was here when Rafa was manager, so it seemed like it'd be a great appointment. But that contract was probably considered on the basis of working with Kenny, and as now that obviously won't be the case, where does that leave Valero?

Same for players - however badly-handled the whole situation was, Kenny backed Suarez 100%. Now Kenny's gone - will Suarez consider his future, or even worse, will FSG look to move him on if they're as concerned with the PR and public image of the club as it seems they are with the sackings of Kenny and primarily Ian Cotton?

So many questions, none of which we'll know the answer to for a long while. I hate times like this.

Sounds like a Liverpool fan's typical summer to me :(

Mastadon

Banned

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. The uncertainty is a killer. I'm quite optimistic at the moment though. FSG haven't really done anything that would make me question their motives, and John Henry has always come across as very competent and switched on. Like I said earlier, I find it difficult to believe that they haven't got candidates lined up for the vacant executive jobs, but even if they haven't, most of the roles aren't business critical. It sounds like they're looking to move quite quickly to appoint a replacement, so it shouldn't be too long.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dani Alves fractured his collarbone. Damn, what's happening with all the injuries just right now?

He will miss Copa del Rey final and the Brazil friendlies.

Yen

I see(Comolli)! Good for you that your top brass is at least not blind.

I feel like Liverpool should look for talent outside of the typical "hot spots", just like we did when we couldn't compete with the Bundesliga top3 in monetary terms (Poland, Japan). We will still have to resort to that policy, but now that we became, sort of a, graduate school for top talent, some players even take wage hits to play for us (like Reus). I guess Arsenal already took that place in the EPL, so you should do what, for instance, Utd. did with Chincharito.
I guess signing a new team manager who'd introduce modern tactics/system would help a great deal too. But that would take time (took Klopp 2-3 years really) and I guess a big name like Liverpool has no time to spare.
Still, I hope you can improve next season.

It's no surprise then that Liverpool are linked with the likes of Jackson Martinez and various players from the Dutch and French leagues.

At least one good thing from these purges is that FSG value the youth setup and Borrell (inb4 snide comments). One of the few positives of the club is the few players looking like they'll come through, plus the scouting for 14-17 year olds seemed good.

Arnie

Sorry Rodvik, now Kenny's gone I don't think the Bent deal's still on.

:(

I want Kenny, and Rafa, and Pako. I want a healthy club.

Well in all fairness, this season aside, he has been pretty wank for the past few years.
He had a poor 15 months after the Barca final in 09. The next season he was poor and the one after that he struggled to get to form. For the rest of his time here he's been good-brilliant.

Anyway England have not appreciated a player like him for ages now. His style of play isn't rated here and it doesn't fit in win the rest of the team who are happy to lump it and give it away.

AVB has overtaken Martinez as favourite with nigh on every bookie.

iWwwXqLwOijYm.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
In case you guys haven't heard, the Daily Mail have an exclusive on their website... apparently Dalglish has been sacked.

Clegg

It's been mentioned here already that if AVB comes in then he'll probably want to revamp the team. I know a lot of Liverpool fans would be happy if that meant less Carragher on the pitch but would he also attempt to phase Gerrard out of the side?

I'm not saying that Gerrard should be taken out completely but it's possible that AVB would attempt to build for the future. And Gerrard is definitely not a part of that.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's been mentioned here already that if AVB comes in then he'll probably want to start revamping the team. I know a lot of Liverpool fans would be happy if that meant less Carragher on the pitch but would he also attempt to phase Gerrard out of the side?

I'm not saying that Gerrard should be taken out completely but it's possible that AVB would attempt to build for the future. And Gerrard is definitely not a part of that.

He's injured 75% of the season anyway.

PaulLFC

I don't think it's likely, but I hope we can bring Pako back one day. He was brilliant, the players seemed to love him and as Mastadon said the effect of him leaving was huge.

I'd love Rafa to come back too, he'd be my first choice at the moment by a mile. I just don't think FSG will do it, although I hope I'm wrong. If not though, AVB certainly wouldn't be a bad second option.

AVB has overtaken Martinez as favourite with nigh on every bookie.

Hope rising.
Good, there seems to be two categories of managers we've been linked with - on one hand you have Rafa, AVB, Klopp, and on the other hand you have Martinez, Lambert, Rodgers. And no, I'm not counting that dickhead Brian Woolnough going on Twitter saying O'Neill would be good for us. While Martinez and co aren't bad managers, one of the first trio would be a much better appointment IMO.

Feorax

It's been mentioned here already that if AVB comes in then he'll probably want to revamp the team. I know a lot of Liverpool fans would be happy if that meant less Carragher on the pitch but would he also attempt to phase Gerrard out of the side?

It's healthy for sure. We need solid central midfielders and a solid "number 10" style player. Gerrard isn't capable of being both anymore, like he used to be, and as such we need to treat him as a luxury, rather than the spine of the team.

Yen

Sorry Rodvik, now Kenny's gone I don't think the Bent deal's still on.

:(

I don't think it's likely, but I hope we can bring Pako back one day. He was brilliant, the players seemed to love him and as Mastadon said the effect of him leaving was huge.

I'd love Rafa to come back too, he'd be my first choice at the moment by a mile. I just don't think FSG will do it, although I hope I'm wrong. If not though, AVB certainly wouldn't be a bad second option.

Pako and Rafa don't get on anymore. Fell out in 2007 because Pako was getting too close to Mourinho and it seemed Chelsea were going to sign him.

I think AVB and Rafa are the managers I want the most. Two excellent tacticians which is something I've must this season.

rodvik

Good, there seems to be two categories of managers we've been linked with - on one hand you have Rafa, AVB, Klopp, and on the other hand you have Martinez, Lambert, Rodgers. And no, I'm not counting that dickhead Brian Woolnough going on Twitter saying O'Neill would be good for us. While Martinez and co aren't bad managers, one of the first trio would be a much better appointment IMO.

I think this is right. I dont want to run down my own club but what Villa need is a young hungry manager who can dramatically remold a team over a few seasons. What Liverpool need is a top flight manager who can win things / qualify for the CL in his first season.

The likes of Rodgers, Lambert & Martinez would be very risky for Liverpool, but just what Villa need.

I still think you lot will get Rafa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom