• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

See guys? Even Fady thinks you are being morons.

Haha :p I don't think he's being a moron, but I don't think its'a nice thing to say. Maybe it's easier for me to have an open mind about it because I live in the same country as these Sheikhs.

Keep in mind that Mancini is visiting Dubai for the meeting. Sheikh Mansour and Mubarak are wearing their local dress as is fitting with their customs. When they are in England, they wear clothing more in line with that local custom. Makes sense to me. I think for everyone involved the subject should be dropped though (as recommended by Fry).

Don't get me wrong Meier, not trying to start up a fire here; just felt like bringing in a fair point in the hopes that Phantas2k would look at it differently.

Why should it be dropped. It's worth discussing. What is a "normal investor" anyway. There are plenty of reasons you could dislike those Arab men, I can think of quite a few, but the way they dress is not a problem at all and I can't see why it would be for anybody.

Especially when you consider the cultural (and religious) roots and significance of that dress.

Fady K

Why should it be dropped. It's worth discussing. What is a "normal investor" anyway. There are plenty of reasons you could dislike those Arab men, I can think of quite a few, but the way they dress is not a problem at all and I can't see why it would be for anybody.

Especially when you consider the cultural (and religious) roots and significance of that dress.

I was thinking along those lines too.

See, honestly, as FootyGAF is very multicultural, I feel one of the best things about is many of us can teach one another about other cultures in case of any misconceptions or exaggerated POVs.

This is FootyGAF after all, we are united, and always will be <3

Meier

Why should it be dropped.

I think it should be dropped because the ban hammer comes down hard on subjects like this and if a mod saw the post, it would probably happen. I think the point raised was pretty ignorant (and has been pointed as such) and it's best for everyone involved to drop the subject and move on to avoid anyone getting in trouble. Just my $0.02.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Tevez "It seems like Ferguson is the President of England. Because every time he speaks badly of a player or when he always talked rubbish about me, I never went out to say he had to apologise. When you mess up you should go out and apologise, but I do not apologise.&#8221;

flyover

The more I think about it, the more I'm warming to the idea of AVB. He plays a style our players should be used to, adept in Europe, and seems ideal for a long term project (at least, he would get longer than he did at Chelsea).

His transfers were also nailed-on (Mata and Cahill have both been great for Chelsea), and I suspect he would be more open to the idea of working with a DOF.

Yeah, I'm totally on-board with it, too. I'm sure he learned a lot from his experience at Chelsea. He was just hired there a year or two too soon. Liverpool's in the right situation for him to rebuild them.

Klopp would be great, but that's not happening. AVB's a fine alternative.

I think it should be dropped because the ban hammer comes down hard on subjects like this and if a mod saw the post, it would probably happen. I think the point raised was pretty ignorant (and has been pointed as such) and it's best for everyone involved to drop the subject and move on to avoid anyone getting in trouble. Just my $0.02.
Fair enough.

Just think its worth pointing out that that dress is common in the region because:
1) The heat means that type of dress is most comfortable.
2) Religiously its a representation of modesty and that people are equal in front of God, that type of dress is simple and affordable for most everyone to wear.

Of course within both of these arguments there are some "flaws" but that is the simple basis on why that dress is popular and common over there.

Last i'll say on it.

/this is going the ot route...but I since I started it I have to respond (without resorting to multi-quotes)

As to what makes me want to throw up - a couple of arguments:

- The is no doubt (or at least I hope so) about most of the gulf region being shit hole in term of universal human rights. Treatment of women, gays, apostates, dissidents; widespread abuse/rape of foreign staff etc. Now if I come in contact with someone from that region (like I did during my semester abroad in the US) I don't expect them to as fucked up as the people in charge in the said country, but if that certain someone is a part of the royal family and resorts to dressing in the "old way" (even if there is no need for it) then I will have certain prejudices again that person.

- All of these "fun states" (with Dubai being the most famous one) are built around a bunch of real estate bubbles with only a fraction of it being backed by real economic value. Crap like this is bound to collapse and I personally can't wait for it.

- "Royals" are inbred degenerates for the most part and I have zero respect towards them and pity the people in countries that still cling to their former oppressors.
Even countries that have marginalized their royals (UK, Japan, NL, Spain) are still awkward to me (or at least the ppl. who support them).

- If you take over a club and you are completely and don't want to alienate the fan base it's best not try to depict yourself as being completely different from the avg. fan....good thing City barely had any fans before that oil money injection so I guess they don't really mind.

GQman2121

Banned
It's just an ignorant way of thinking. And to bookend it as a reason to boycott the World Cup is telling of his character.

Less we not forget that City fans wearing keffiyeh's was all the rage a few years ago at the Middle Eastlands.

fuenf

/this is going the ot route...but I since I started it I have to respond (without resorting to multi-quotes)

- The is no doubt (or at least I hope so) about most of the gulf region being shit hole in term of universal human rights. Treatment of women, gays, apostates, dissidents; widespread abuse/rape of foreign staff etc. Now if I come in contact with someone from that region (like I did during my semester abroad in the US) I don't expect them to as fucked up as the people in charge in the said country, but if that certain someone is a part of the royal family and resorts to dressing in the "old way" (even if there is no need for it) then I will have certain prejudices again that person.

- All of these "fun states" (with Dubai being the most famous one) are built around a bunch of real estate bubbles with only a fraction of it being backed by real economic value. Crap like this is bound to collapse and I personally can't wait for it.

- "Royals" are inbred degenerates for the most part and I have zero respect towards them and pity the people in countries that still cling to their former oppressors.
Even countries that have marginalized their royals (UK, Japan, NL, Spain) are still awkward to me (or at least the ppl. who support them).

- If you take over a club and you are completely and don't want to alienate the fan base it's best not try to depict yourself as being completely different from the avg. fan....good thing City barely had any fans before that oil money injection so I guess they don't really mind.

just stop it. you arent making things any better!

dc89

C'mon bro. How would you feel if you were an investor who went to a foreign land dressed in your cultural clothing only to have people look at you and want to throw up? Hasan Ismaik chose to dress however he chose to, that's fine. Doesn't mean that it's the only normal way.

And you hate it to the point where you would consider, even jokingly, ignoring a whole world cup in Qatar?

Haha :p I don't think he's being a moron, but I don't think its'a nice thing to say. Maybe it's easier for me to have an open mind about it because I live in the same country as these Sheikhs.

Don't get me wrong Meier, not trying to start up a fire here; just felt like bringing in a fair point in the hopes that Phantas2k would look at it differently.

Fady is right. It's their customs, it's how they dress. Would you ask President Obama, David Cameron etc to dress any different when in their own country. The answer to that is no.

Guys how reliable is Marca paper?
Least reliable in the world.

@ Phantast2k - I thought that was your thinking. I agree with ALOT of what you say just I don't think their dress is indicative of all those things that are, I agree with you, counts on which they should be criticised. Everyone over there dresses like that, almost everyone anyway, even the very poor.

Wilbur

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I'm warming to the idea of AVB. He plays a style our players should be used to, adept in Europe, and seems ideal for a long term project (at least, he would get longer than he did at Chelsea).

His transfers were also nailed-on (Mata and Cahill have both been great for Chelsea), and I suspect he would be more open to the idea of working with a DOF.

Only problem will be Gerrard and Carragher, although I would hope the former would be gracious enough to give the guy a chance, and the latter will be retiring shortly.

Still pisses me off how he was dealt with at Chelsea. I think he was nervous and reacted defensively to getting the oldies out there, tried to assert superiority. He'll learn from his mistakes, and would be a fantastic appointment. I'd be happy to see him at Liverpool.

Tevez "It seems like Ferguson is the President of England. Because every time he speaks badly of a player or when he always talked rubbish about me, I never went out to say he had to apologise. When you mess up you should go out and apologise, but I do not apologise.”

I don't understand what goes on in this fucking turd's mind. It's just a bunch of rusty clogs and old broken piano chords.

;(

Thanks for letting me know guys :)
Why what are they saying?

They've just launched an English website so were gonna here a lot of crap from them now. I read today they did an iview with Suarez in which he said he wants to play in Spain one day so you can expect a summer full of rumours from that alone.

elsk

Banned
It's just an ignorant way of thinking. And to bookend it as a reason to boycott the World Cup is telling of his character.

I think a lot of other countries (México, Costa Rica, USA) deserved to host the WC more than Qatar. It would make sense if they invest all the money they have in making their leagues worth it, but instead they choose to buy teams all around Europe because they don't give a shit about their country football.

They are creating a bubble in the football market, also. They are fucking football over with their oil money. I do dislike them (Sheikhs and so, not the arab people) and I hope their WC is a complete failure.

Fady K

Fair enough.

Just think its worth pointing out that that dress is common in the region because:
1) The heat means that type of dress is most comfortable.
2) Religiously its a representation of modesty and that people are equal in front of God, that type of dress is simple and affordable for most everyone to wear.

Of course within both of these arguments there are some "flaws" but that is the simple basis on why that dress is popular and common over there.

Last i'll say on it.

I know you're done here, but hats off to you bro. Always civil and informative.

There's some understandable points here, but a lot of it comes off as a little extreme IMO. As I don't want to drag you into a discussion (feel free to PM me if you wanted to talk more about your views and such), I just want to tell you as a person who has lived in the UAE for almost all my life (even though I am not from here) - it is very different than what most people make it out to be.

elsk

Banned

Btw:

Lewandowski respects Dortmund's decision not to sell despite Manchester United interest, says agent
http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...pects-dortmunds-decision-not-to-sell-despite#

"We acknowledge the interest of Manchester United in Lewandowski. I cannot confirm discussions about the financial terms," he told Goal.com.

"We respect the decision of BVB not to sell Robert."

Lewandowski has become a coveted player among Europe's top teams this season, having scored 30 goals and supplied 12 assists in all competitions. And when asked about Bayern Munich's interest in his services, the player cast doubt over his future at Dortmund.

"Yes, of course I've heard [about Bayern's interest]," Lewandowski told Sport-Bild. "I do not know what will happen in two months. I've also thought, 'What more can I accomplish with Dortmund?' Difficult."

fuenf

I think a lot of other countries (México, Costa Rica, USA) deserved to host the WC more than Qatar. It would make sense if they invest all the money they have in making their leagues worth it, but instead they choose to buy teams all around Europe because they don't give a shit about their country football.

They are creating a bubble in the football market, also. They are fucking football over with their oil money. I do dislike them (Sheikhs and so, not the arab people) and I hope their WC is a complete failure.

The 2022 World Cup should have gone to the USA. I watched parts of the ESPN "The 2 Escobars" docoumentary yesterday and evertytime they showed scenes from the 1994 World Cup i was amazed by the crowd and the atmosphere. I think a WC in 2022 could really have pushed things over the edge soccer-wise and would've helped to establish football as a major sport.

Still find it hard to believe that there will be no World Cup outside of Brazil, Russia and Quatar until 2026. :(

Fady K

Hey Fady!!! Thanks for the Congrats! It was an immense feeling.

Yeah, Mancini gets really frustrated too easily. I hope he's calmer next season and he cuts out the card waving. But saying that, I think he has already. Not seen that for a few weeks. :p

You're most welcome bro :) Mancini did improve in my eyes, towards the end. It was also awesome how you went to the parade :D!!

Fady is right. It's their customs, it's how they dress. Would you ask President Obama, David Cameron etc to dress any different when in their own country. The answer to that is no.

Exactly bro, it's about respecting other cultures as long as they don't offend others.

I know too little about the Qatar deal to be honest, what I will tell you is a lot of these guys are way more passionate about football than others think. Personally I'm happy Qatar had the chance to host it, and I wish them the best. This is a dream for them, to have an event of such magnitude, so why wish for it to collapse? The way I see it, they want to make their mark in the world and host wonderful things in the same way London will be hosting the Olympics or Munich will be hosting the CL final, etc. It's Football bro, one language, one nation ;D

just stop it. you arent making things any better!
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here? lol I didn't say anything racist or even anything against the terms of use here. So no need to like, save me from myself...or whatever.
I did go the OT route, for which I am sorry. But the thread regularly slides into OT for crap like games, women or movies so I don't see how this is suddenly a problem.
Nowadays it seems like a thread for a group of people interested in football to discuss all sorts of things, but primarily football.

Least reliable in the world.

@ Phantast2k - I thought that was your thinking. I agree with ALOT of what you say just I don't think their dress is indicative of all those things that are, I agree with you, counts on which they should be criticised. Everyone over there dresses like that, almost everyone anyway, even the very poor.
I understand that the dress like that, but I maintain that there is no reason to do so outside of their countries unless they are trying to make a statement out of it. None of the gulf ppl. I met were dressed like that, but then they also hated their countries, lol
But yeah whatever. I don't really follow those City sheiks anyways and wouldn't even know how they look like if that City PR guys didn't plastering them all over this thread.
But it does seem like I'm projecting prejudices onto them.

rodvik

Guys how reliable is Marca paper?

It is this reliable.

LiQDn.jpg

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here? lol I didn't say anything racist or even anything against the terms of use here. So no need to like, save me from myself...or whatever.
I did go the OT route, for which I am sorry. But the thread regularly slides into OT for crap like games, women or movies so I don't see how this is suddenly a problem.
Nowadays it seems like a thread for a group of people interested in football to discuss all sorts of things, but primarily football.

I understand that the dress like that, but I maintain that there is no reason to do so outside of their countries unless they are trying to make a statement out of it. None of the gulf ppl. I met were dressed like that, but then they also hated their countries, lol
But yeah whatever. I don't really follow those City sheiks anyways and wouldn't even know how they look like if that City PR guys didn't plastering them all over this thread.
But it does seem like I'm projecting prejudices onto them.

Just going to throw this out there, but I believe those pictures took place in the UAE.

flyover

I think he [AVB] was nervous and reacted defensively to getting the oldies out there, tried to assert superiority.

I think so, too. His efforts to establish dominance with that locker room backfired, and he didn't respond well. He's young enough and bright enough that I don't think he'd make the same mistakes, twice. At Chelsea, he thought he'd been brought in on a long-term project. At Liverpool, I'm guessing it actually would be one.

Obviously, it's still an insanely high-pressure job. But, unlike with Chelsea, he wouldn't be coming in to simultaneously rebuild and maintain a Champions League team that was only a year away from having won the PL.

fuenf

Did it ever come to your mind that some people might find your post offensive? You don't even admit that you were wrong / went out of line. We all know that you were just trying to make a joke but why cant you atleast admit that it was a bad joke? Instead you are just trying to rationalize your comments (by listing even more prejudices).

Facism

yay we won the Turkish cup against Bursaspor by 4 goals to nil.

Doesn't make up for the league, but it's nice for the tema to have won the cup after 20 something years or however long it was.

Just going to throw this out there, but I believe those pictures took place in the UAE.
What about the ones with the disgusting blue food? Righter after City's championship.
(just a recent example)

/edit
Did it ever come to your mind that some people might find your post offensive? You don't even admit that you were wrong / went out of line. We all know that you were just trying to make a joke but why cant you atleast admit that it was a bad joke? Instead you are just trying to rationalize your comments (by listing even more prejudices).
I certainly don't think that any sheik will ever read my post, lol
You're over-interpreting here. It wasn't a joke...only an exaggeration maybe...as it doesn't make me puke but rather makes me uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom