• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
I thought he'd left? Was that just a rumour? Journos were saying before he'd resigned out of loyalty to Kenny.

They mentioned on SSN several times that he was still employed by the club - It wouldn't surprise me if he offered to resign but Kenny told him to stay.

PaulLFC

They mentioned on SSN several times that he was still employed by the club - It wouldn't surprise me if he offered to resign but Kenny told him to stay.
Hmm, I hope he's stayed, although he may well be replaced when the new manager's appointed if he wants to bring in his own staff.

There's conflicting reports on Twitter:

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes (6 hours ago)
Looks like Liverpool need a new assistant manager too. Hearing Steve Clarke has left out of loyalty to Dalglish.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport (5 hours ago)
Liverpool's first team coach Steve Clarke, appointed by Dalglish, has resigned in show of solidarity.

But then Sky saying he's staying according to some random "Liverpool FC News" tweet 2 hours ago. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Arnie

And anyway Steve Clarke is a quality ass man. Im glad he's staying as it stands.

He left out of loyalty to Kenny. Walked. That's what Tony Barret, Ben Smith and Tony Evans reported, who're very reliable.

I'm with Yenrot, it's AVB or Rafa for me.

Zabojnik

C_3_Media_1481451_immagine_obig.jpg

@@.gif

offshore

Is AVB back in the PL so soon a good idea? Not that Liverpool's players are as poisonous as Chelsea's lot, but they'll know that he can be easily walked over. You feel it'd probably be better if AVB spent a few more years in Europe to really build up his stature before coming back to the PL.

At least Rafa has that stature, both with Liverpool and other clubs. AVB doesn't at the mo.

operon

Would take Rafa back in a heartbeat. AVB would be a great appointment, would love him to shake up the team. Carragher has been a great servant but he's done, get him into the coaching side, and Stevie unfortunately won't be playing as much for us, which is good for the team too. We rely on him far too much a lot of the team get lazy when he's playing

elsk

Banned
Is AVB back in the PL so soon a good idea? Not that Liverpool's players are as poisonous as Chelsea's lot, but they'll know that he can be easily walked over. You feel it'd probably be better if AVB spent a few more years in Europe to really build up his stature before coming back to the PL.

It's not like the PL is full of the best coaches in the world, you know. Usually the PL coaches are very average at best.
I would take AVB as Bayern coach, he just needs a season to build a proper team.

Wilbur

Banned
dont worry alien 3 and 4 dont even exist in my mind

yes alien 3 is fucking shit anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

It's a disgrace. 4 is shite as well.

1 is incredible, 2 is very very good

Just about to say that. Just as long as it's swinging away from Martinez I'm happy.

And towards McLeish!!!!!

AVB would be great at any club. Great tactician, plays good football. Just got saddled with wankers.

He'd have a tough first season but if given the time he'd do a great job.

On Carrick - class of the man to keep it understated. Been wonderful this season.

Arnie

Villas Boas is a young, elite coach who's accomplished great things with Porto, and shown he can sign quality players. He's leaps and bounds ahead of the other serious candidates. And that's disqualifying Rafa, because as much as I love the man there's not a hope in hell of him returning.

At least Rafa has that stature, both with Liverpool and other clubs. AVB doesn't at the mo.

If Villas-Boas is given the time to build up his own squad and implement his system, I think he'd be a great move for Liverpool.

There doesn't 'seem' to be anyone on that level at Liverpool, save for Gerrard and maybe Johnson.

rodvik

Villas Boas is a young, elite coach who's accomplished great things with Porto, and shown he can sign quality players. He's leaps and bounds ahead of the other serious candidates. And that's disqualifying Rafa, because as much as I love the man there's not a hope in hell of him returning.

Why do you say that about Rafa? He seems the obvious choice to me.

caramac

I don't want Rafa back, his time has been and gone. He made his fair share of baffling substitutions and overly cautious tactical decisions, especially during his final year or so. I'll hop on the AVB bandwagon for now.

I don't see the problem, he's on a low pay-as-you-play deal, counts as homegrown, and for all we know, he could be helping Welbeck with his finishing!
Still wearing that #7 is bad enough for me.

Although Fergie was very clever in giving it to him in the first place.

Choc

Banned
I don't want Rafa back, his time has been and gone. He made his fair share of baffling substitutions and overly cautious tactical decisions, especially during his final year or so. I'll hop on the AVB bandwagon for now.

he also won the champions league

Arnie

Why do you say that about Rafa? He seems the obvious choice to me.

Because I can't see FSG replacing one manager who's had a somewhat unsuccessful second stint with yet another former manager. If Rafa failed then it'd be a PR disaster for them because it's essentially making the same mistake twice.

Secondly there's still a section of fans who're not receptive to Rafa returning, either because they don't want to look backwards again or they weren't overly impressed with him. Or they just think we can do better, which at this point seems massively unlikely.

Out of all the serious candidates that've been proposed (Martinez, AVB, Lambart, Rogers) it's the nicely styled Portugese fellow that I'm most open to.

PaulLFC

Because I can't see FSG replacing one manager who's had a somewhat unsuccessful second stint with yet another former manager. If Rafa failed then it'd be a PR disaster for them because it's essentially making the same mistake twice.

Secondly there's still a section of fans who're not receptive to Rafa returning, either because they don't want to look backwards again or they weren't overly impressed with him. Or they just think we can do better, which at this point seems massively unlikely.

Out of all the serious candidates that've been proposed (Martinez, AVB, Lambart, Rogers) it's the nicely styled Portugese fellow that I'm most open to.
Yep, this seems the most likely way FSG will think about it. I'd love Rafa back and he's my first choice by a long way, but they'd be appointing another former manager, and one that the media will have it in for from day one. Some of their recent sackings seem to point to PR and press reception being very important to them, so I don't think they'd want a manager that the press would immediately start attacking. Then again, after Chelsea got rid of AVB quickly, the press might not be too kind to him either.

PaulLFC

Well, let's just say I hope this BBC article is wrong:

Liverpool's owners are keen for the club's new manager to be in place for at least four to five years, but there is no front-runner at this stage.

Tom Werner and John W Henry have begun the search for the Reds' fourth boss in two years after sacking Kenny Dalglish and have a number of names in mind. The new boss is likely to get a transfer budget of over £30m.

Intermediaries acting for the club have spoken with Andre Villas-Boas, but he is unlikely to get the job. The Portuguese was sacked by Chelsea in March.

Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is also not thought to be in the running. The Americans are known to have been impressed by Wigan manager Roberto Martinez but no talks have taken place.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has often spoken of his admiration for the Anfield club and it is thought he would be willing to grant the Spaniard permission to discuss the post with Henry and Werner.

Liverpool's owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are keen to appoint a replacement at the earliest possible opportunity.

Dalglish left for Spain on a planned family holiday on Wednesday night. His wife Marina wrote on Twitter: "Really sad day for us a family but we all remain LFC fans. All so proud of Kenny."

On Wednesday, sources close to Henry were keen to stress the American owners do have a clear vision for the future of the club and are likely to appoint three senior directors in the coming weeks.

Meetings have been held with a number of potential directors of football, including Johan Cruyff and former Barcelona sporting director Txiki Begiristain, while they have also spoken to at least one candidate to fill the chief executive's role.

Henry and Werner are also thought to be close to appointing a new director of communications to replace Ian Cotton.

While the departure of Dalglish has left something of a power vacuum at Anfield, FSG felt they had to act given Liverpool's failure to challenge for a Champions League qualifying place, a clear target at the start of the season.

Liverpool's most recent annual report revealed that the club's prolonged absence from the competition had cost the club a minimum of £30m in revenue each year.

While the owners were encouraged by the Carling Cup victory in February, the first silverware since 2006, it could not cover up the failings of a poor Premier League campaign.

Steve Clarke, Dalglish's assistant, has stepped down out of loyalty to the 61-year-old Scot.

No sources or quotes, so I hope it's just speculation and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom