• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
Good call. The way the press in this country works though, if you're not getting the results, and quick, they'll be on your back. Even Wenger has had it at Arsenal.

why would harry leave spurs who could be in the CL for Liverpool who are in Europa :p

GorillaJu

Rory Smith said:
On Kenny and #LFC: the legacy he did so much to build as a player, then, initially, as a manager determined he couldn't stay.

Liverpool, for too long, have existed with their only identity being their history. FSG right to identify need for total revolution.

But-and this is crucial-the lesson from Rafa must be learned. Kenny leaving is pointless if he's just replaced, rather than upgraded. #lfc

Names I'd heard mentioned: Lambert, Rodgers, AVB, Martinez, Emery (rule him out). I'd take number three from that, but no idea.

Good take.

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has insisted the club are yet to draw up a shortlist of potential successors to Kenny Dalglish as the club's manager.

Dalglish was dismissed from his position on Wednesday, after a season that saw victory in the Carling Cup tempered by a disappointing eighth place finish in the Premier League.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has immediately been installed as the hot favourite for the Anfield post, but Ayre denied the Spaniard was already on the club's shortlist.

"Not at the moment, no," Ayre told Sky Sports, when asked if the club had already identified any candidates for the job. "We come back tomorrow and look for a new appointment, that's when we start on that."

Ayre revealed that league form was the primary reason why Reds owner John W Henry decided to remove Dalglish from his position, one the Scot took up - originally on a temporary basis - after Roy Hodgson was fired in the early weeks of 2011.

"Results, perhaps, were not where we wanted them to be and that drives the decision," Ayre noted. "We feel it's the right decision and one we have to move forward with, but there's lots of praise and admiration for him.

"We have a big long-term plan for this football club, we've always talked about progress and moving forward. We've made a lot of progress off the pitch, creating a lot of foundations to build the business on and improve revenues, and the next important thing to move forward is football."

Ayre was evasive when asked whether Dalglish could be set for a quick return to Anfield in an ambassadorial or boardroom role, saying "that's a discussion for the future", but was quick to reject reports that he is set to be the next high-profile figure to lose his job at the club.

"Absolutely not," he said. "No question from my point of view [that I will leave], and certainly no indication of that from upstairs."

I wonder if Kyoufu feels like Elmer Fudd, chasing Bugs Bunny with fury, and when he shoots him and realizes what he's done he breaks down and cries.

x730c.jpg

Really? Zzz thought RDM was embarrassing him. Looks almost identical.

GorillaJu

The north-americans choose who is going to be the Liverpool coach? Good Lord.

Liverpool is owned by Americans (by the way, the proper English term for a person from the US is "American"). They, Ian Ayre, and the Liverpool board will select the next manager.

Personally I'd rather they bring in a DOF first – Txiki if you don't mind. :)

PaulLFC

Liverpool is owned by Americans (by the way, the proper English term for a person from the US is "American"). They, Ian Ayre, and the Liverpool board will select the next manager.

Txiki would be a great appointment. I think there were rumours FSG had approached him or were at least interested, so we'll see.

I wonder if Kyoufu feels like Elmer Fudd, chasing Bugs Bunny with fury, and when he shoots him and realizes what he's done he breaks down and cries.

x730c.jpg

Really? Zzz thought RDM was embarrassing him. Looks almost identical.

It's silly just to look at the league stats. The league was completely lost when he got Chelsea and he did extremely well to completely turn around the Napoli tie, knock out Barca and he even got the FA cup. The priority has clearly not been the league.

Fintan

It's silly just to look at the league stats. The league was completely lost when he got Chelsea and he did extremely well to completely turn around the Napoli tie, knock out Barca and he even got the FA cup. The priority has clearly not been the league.

Yeah, a lot of the leagues we were playing a weakened team. One of those losses came against City and another with a second string side against Liverpool.

Sloosha

I've not heard that type of language used to compare RDM and AVB anyway. It's clear that AVB was tasked with changing the team style and philosophy whereas RDM's job has been to salvage the season using a more pragmatic approach. Sort of an unfair comparison.

elsk

Banned

For us, american=anyone from any country of the American continent. We use north american (norteamericano) or gringo (yank) to call the people from USA.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For us, american=anyone from any country of the American continent. We use north american (norteamericano) or gringo (yank) to call the people from USA.
The difference here stems from the fact that English-speaking countries teach South America and North America as different continents, whereas most of the Spanish-speaking world lumps them together.

In Mexico we call them estadounidenses or gabachos.

choodi

Banned

Some people just use the word "cunt".

I hope people get that this is meant as a joke...if not then it probably applies to you

elsk

Banned
^haha

The difference here stems from the fact that English-speaking countries teach South America and North America as different continents, whereas most of the Spanish-speaking world lumps them together.

Yep, I realized that last year. I was very surprised.

neoanarch

Why is Liverpool chasing Cruyff for a board spot. He is already knee deep in both Ajax and Chivas. I doubt FSG would be happy with a similar arrangement.

Crazy week in Mexico. I love the off season.

^haha

Yep, I realized that last year. I was very surprised.

More of an European thing than anything. You'd have to ask S Americans on a per country basis. Clearly its six continents, Eurasia being one. Anything else is wrong and Eurocentric.

choodi

Banned
I had that argument with my GF a while ago.

She was was born and did most of her primary school education in El Salvador and was adamant that it was one continent.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just the usual version of musical chairs with managers. At least Hugo Sanchez is back in Mexico. But so is La Volpe. God that going to be such a fantastic match day.
At least we are getting new people with Jon Van Schip. And there are rumours floating around that Cruz Azul is looking for U. de Chile's San Paoli.

BREAKING FUCKING NEWS:
Düsseldorf vs. Hertha Berlin will be played again!

Where the hell is this coming from? I must admit I'm a bit drunk but there's no way that's true for now. All that happened is that Hertha wants it to get played again (of course!) but DFB will decide on Friday I think.

But we did beat Spain...?

Lol. England got battered. You can't use games like that as a banner.

In Mexico we call them estadounidenses or gabachos.

Heh, I was always taught to call it the Americas

Lol. England got battered. You can't use games like that as a banner.
Why not? We played them and beat them fair and square. They missed some good players but so did we. Also the match was at Wembley so you could say England had home advantage but at the tournaments England usually have amazing support, better than all the other countries and you can expect that we will have a similar adv in support should we play Spain in the tournament and so that Wembley support could quite easily be replicated at the Euros.

If England face Spain that match showed we have nothing to fear. Sure they might win on possession, but we can beat them on goals. I'd love to see them handle Andy Carroll for example, not sure they can.

GorillaJu

You're talking about speaking Spanish vs speaking English, though. Every language has their own words to denote nationality or ethnicity.

Why not? We played them and beat them fair and square. They missed some good players but so did we. Also the match was at Wembley so you could say England had home advantage but at the tournaments England usually have amazing support, better than all the other countries and you can expect that we will have a similar adv in support should we play Spain in the tournament and so that Wembley support could quite easily be replicated at the Euros.

If England face Spain that match showed we have nothing to fear. Sure they might win on possession, but we can beat them on goals. I'd love to see them handle Andy Carroll for example, not sure they can.

It's one thing to say we beat Spain, its another to use that victory as premise to validate confidence if we were to play them again. To do that, you need to expand your perspective to more than just the score line and review the game as a whole.

20120517-q954kdbr9bs91wk4ruw1fq1j8s.jpg

Spain had enough chances in the second half to not only draw the game but to win it by a margin. When you play sides that keep the ball for the majority of the game, you need to ask yourself whether your defence can handle them. Can England's defenders be confident against Spain? I don't see how. England would need to be at their best and hope luck is on their side. To suggest that result in November act as evidence to a strength is just something beyond comprehension IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom