• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Viva, why is Martinez a better option than Deschamps, or even Brendan Rogers?

As for your other point I understand the logic, and agree to a degree, but a complete detachment might alienate some fans, fans who the club needs to keep everything rosy. If large chunks of support start falling away, specifically those who earn their money, cheer the team and attend the matches it could have a disastrous effect on the club.

I don't think it's fair to say we shouldn't replace a manager in 8th with one in 15th, the resources available to both were drastically different. However, I also don't think it's fair to use Martinez's achievements for Wigan and say he deserves an interview for the vacant Liverpool managers job.

The whole appointment reeks of Roy Hodgson.

Feorax

Liverpool fans just need to trust their owners.

I don't disagree, but I'm sure you can understand our paranoia given what the last lot did to us.

FSG would regain a lot of trust if they were more open on the stadium issue, but the radio silence and lack of action brings back all too familiar feelings of worry.

Arnie

I don't disagree, but I'm sure you can understand our paranoia given what the last lot did to us.

FSG would regain a lot of trust if they were more open on the stadium issue, but the radio silence and lack of action brings back all too familiar feelings of worry.

Exactly, it's a two way discourse.

We've just seen an act of regicide whilst hearing reports of an usurper boasting a 26% win ratio. And people wonder why we're fractured and skittish.

Why are you guys concentrating on his achievements so much? Where has he been to allow him to ever really challenge for the achievements. They're hiring a manager who can offer them a philosophy they want and agree with.

He stuck to his guns to get it across at Wigan, and sure it almost got them relegated but it clicked eventually. FSG must see something within his style of play that want to bring to Liverpool and it's fans. Plus he's young, which was another part of their mandate for recruiting a manager (unlike Rafa).

Rodgers would also have made sense, I'll agree with that - perhaps he was approached but didn't want to go (so out of respect nothing was made public). He's built up a great side at Swansea and perhaps he wants to see how far he can take it. I know I'd find it hard to leave a club I had invested so much time and effort into building into my vision.

Exactly, it's a two way discourse.

We've just seen an act of regicide
whilst hearing reports of an usurper boasting a 26% win ratio. And people wonder why we're fractured and skittish.

... oh come on, Brookside ended a long time ago, no need for the melodramatics. :p

Why do you / Liverpool fans love Dalgish so much? He didnt get the Club into the top 4, you make fun about his signing, so why should his season be considered a success?

To ask why Liverpool fans love Dalglish so much is to betray a total lack of knowledge about the history of the club.

Hint: Dalglish's connection with Liverpool goes back further than this past season.

Arnie

Isn't she from Sports Illustrated?

Chriswok, whilst I genuinely respect your opinion and you make some salient points, your team are currently residing in a pool of jizz following the successful punt on Pardew. We've still got the scent of Hodgson's decaying faeces burnt into our nostrils. We have grounds to be naturally pessimistic when it comes to managers.

elsk

Banned
Interesting article by Grant Wahl:

lahm3_298.jpg

Bayern Munich: A model franchise
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/05/17/cl.final.preview/index.html

For starters, Bayern will have plenty of incentive to attack on its home field, attempting to become the first team to win the European Cup at home since Inter in 1965. What's more, both teams will have a nearly full quiver of creative players. Of the seven players suspended on both teams for the final, all but one (Chelsea's Ramires) are defensive-minded. As long as Chelsea doesn't completely park the bus as it did against Barcelona (and I think Bayern will prevent that from happening with an early goal), this final will be a fun watch for the neutral.

A former star forward for Bayern and the German national team (he was twice named European player of the year), Rummenigge, 56, is now the chairman of Bayern Munich and the powerful European Club Association. What makes Bayern Munich special? Here are some of the things I found interesting from our 90-minute round-table conversation (in which Rummenigge spoke fluent English):

• Bayern's tradition of ex-players moving up to the board room is impressive. Bayern has a fascinating mix: It's a financially stable, smartly run SuperClub, and yet it's also led by a powerful board that has included fabulously successful former players such as Rummenigge, Uli Hoeness and Franz Beckenbauer. We've seen plenty of examples of great players who can't hack it as managers or club executives, which makes sense: The skillsets are completely different. So I asked Rummenigge how Bayern has made it work.
"We have a continuity in the club," Rummenigge says. "In the past 40 years we have had just three general directors. Uli Hoeness was nominated general director of the club in the late 1970s, and he was in the club for 30 years in a row. Thanks to him there's a football quality in the management. I never did study because football is maybe not easy to study. I played football and then I had the pleasure to be nominated as [Bayern] vice-president in the early '90s when Bayern was a members club. When we changed the structure into a shareholders company I was nominated as CEO. So I could prepare close to 10 years to do the job I'm doing today."
"I have the impression that many clubs around Europe would like to follow this kind of way, and many tried. In the end, for whatever reason they weren't successful. Maybe it's due to the continuity we always had in the club, and it was easier to do in Bayern than in other clubs."
Bayern has also gotten lucky that its star-players-turned-directors are naturally smart guys who've adapted well to the business world. Hoeness started a thriving sausage-making company, and Rummenigge shows a detailed knowledge of the economics of the sport. But he also can connect with current players due to his background as an athlete.
"I have one big advantage: I always know what the player is thinking about," Rummenigge says, "because I had these experiences in the past when I played football as well. Of course, today my main work is to care about the financial situation."
• Bayern is extremely well-positioned for the future. Bayern has reached two of the past three Champions League finals, so obviously it's competing well on the field these days, but even better fortunes may be on the way. When UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules kick in, Bayern could be one of the big winners in Europe, not least because it isn't saddled with a large debt like so many other top European clubs. "Our 340 million euro stadium, Allianz Arena, is completely privately financed by our club," Rummenigge says. "The big advance today of Bayern Munich is that our infrastructure is strong, not just our team. We invested 25 million euros here [in the team's training facility]."
"From the very beginning, we said if we follow the Italian way or the English way we will always lose, because we don't have that kind of money available. We have no sheik [like Manchester City], no Mr. Berlusconi [like Milan]. We have a completely different situation in Germany and have to find out the best way. That was a wise concept to follow, and today we are a safe club ... Bayern could be the model of the future for many other clubs."
• Bayern's stability includes a balance between smart youth development and targeted buys in the transfer market. As Rummenigge explains it, in the 1990s he and Hoeness wanted to learn how other sports teams did things in different areas. So they hit the road. They visited Ajax to see how its youth academy worked. They visited Manchester United to learn more about merchandising. And they visited the U.S., where they attended the Super Bowl and learned firsthand more about how the Chicago Bulls leveraged the success of Michael Jordan. Then they took those lessons back to Germany.
Now "we are very strong in our youth department with [academy-produced] players like Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Holger Badstuber, Thomas Müller and Diego Contento," Rummenigge says. "They didn't cost a penny in transfer fees. We always want to have a strong youth department, because supporters love when players from Bavaria are playing for Bayern Munich. They also love players you can buy, like Franck Ribéry and Arjen Robben, but you have to find opportunities. We probably never could spend 95 million euros like Real Madrid spent in the case of Cristiano Ronaldo. However, we can spend 24 million like we did for Robben."

The result is a Bayern Munich that is competing for Europe's most prestigious trophies while at the same time positioning itself economically for the future. It's a case study that more and more clubs figure to follow in the coming years.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../17/cl.final.preview/index.html#ixzz1v9YnHGHn

Empty

i hope martinez doesn't go to liverpool. it's much too toxic a club for him at the moment, he'll never get the chance to succeed with the fan bitterness over rafa and king kenny, fans feeling slighted that he's too small for them and the pressure there after the last few seasons is ridiculous.

that said i don't much like the reluctance in this country for big teams to replace to ever look down the table for managers. yes hodgson but his football is fundamentally unsuited to a big team, whereas martinez sets-up similarly to napoli and has more nous in both attacking and defensive setups, plus he's not clueless about what it means to be liverpool manager like roy. i agree with the point earlier about where did benitez or klopp or villas-boas get started, it's because big teams took a chance. look at conte, he got siena promoted the season before and now he's leading juve to an invincible season.

EXCITED!

Only downside I will have to learn how to spell Ole Gunner Soldier or whatever he calls himself.

You can just call him Ole Gunnar Sunshine, that sound way more awesome than Solskjær anyway. Hate the guy as a manager, he sells us shitty players for way too big prices.
LLShC.gif

Yen

Chriswok, whilst I genuinely respect your opinion and you make some salient points, your team are currently residing in a pool of jizz following the successful punt on Pardew. We've still got the scent of Hodgson's decaying faeces burnt into our nostrils. We have grounds to be naturally pessimistic when it comes to managers.

*He*

And lets not forget the successful punt on Chris Hughton too. Or the terrible decision to to hire a fan favourite appease the angry crowd in Alan Shearer...

Blablurn

i wanna buy some more big players in football manager but either the team dont accept my offer (even if its really high) or the player himself doesnt want to leave :( any advice?

i wanna buy some more big players in football manager but either the team dont accept my offer (even if its really high) or the player himself doesnt want to leave :( any advice?

If you talk about the players in the medias you can try and unsettle the player, making him unhappy at his club and pretty much forcing the club to sell him.

Arnie

And lets not forget the successful punt on Chris Hughton too. Or the terrible decision to to hire a fan favourite appease the angry crowd in Alan Shearer...

When I burp it usually tastes of the last thing I ate, doesn't mean I didn't eat something equally pungent the day before.

Sorry, I need to stop these ridiculous analogies. Going to go make Chilli Con Carne sans rice and stuff it in grilled pitta breads.

Hope Jeff's alright. Turbulent day for him.

Feorax

Jen Chang is a senior editor for sports illustrated covering football. In terms of knowing how to deal with the press, we could do far worse.

Good appointment IMO

rodvik

Alex McLeish statement. Fair play to him. More than we got from MON. It didnt work out but he was always a decent chap.

'When I accepted the role as manager of Aston Villa Football Club, I was acutely aware of the responsibility I had to find the best way to serve the great traditions of one of the finest clubs in professional football.

I was truly honoured to have been given the opportunity to manage the club, which plays such an important part in the fabric of the local community and to its worldwide fan base.

I relished the challenge and, together with my loyal and very capable staff, dedicated all of my efforts into moulding a successful team. My only regret in leaving now is that we weren't able to achieve more for the supporters and their high expectations.

Finally, I want to take this moment to say that I have nothing but the highest respect for the club and sincerely wish it and the fans great success in the future.'

Alex McLeish statement. Fair play to him. More than we got from MON. It didnt work out but he was always a decent chap.

'When I accepted the role as manager of Aston Villa Football Club, I was acutely aware of the responsibility I had to find the best way to serve the great traditions of one of the finest clubs in professional football.

I was truly honoured to have been given the opportunity to manage the club, which plays such an important part in the fabric of the local community and to its worldwide fan base.

I relished the challenge and, together with my loyal and very capable staff, dedicated all of my efforts into moulding a successful team. My only regret in leaving now is that we weren't able to achieve more for the supporters and their high expectations.

Finally, I want to take this moment to say that I have nothing but the highest respect for the club and sincerely wish it and the fans great success in the future.'

Now that he's gone, I do feel bad for him. He doesn't seem like a bad guy. Just someone who was in over his head. Lerner should have never made the appointment.

Stalk mode: Activate!

AtHcZ0lCQAAEy87.jpg

Lerner's plane in Norway.

Stay on it Wes!

everytime i've seen Pogba play, he looks better as a DM to me.

More like a regista than a DM, in this game at least. His best attribute is his touch on the ball - always looks comfortable. Him, Will Keane and Petrucci are the only players I see as having a chance to make it from this particular Reserve side. Brady and Tunnicliffe, I'd put down as question marks.

dc89

Shame there is no Juan Roman Angel tonight for City. He looks a promising player. Denis Suarez looks good, hopefully the likes of him and Reece Wabara (at right back) can make an appearance in the likes of the Carling Cup next season!

rodvik

Would be really stoked with OGS (that is how I will spell his demon tongue name).

I love the way Lerner has sent his jet supervillan style.

K1LLER7

Shame there is no Juan Roman Angel tonight for City. He looks a promising player. Denis Suarez looks good, hopefully the likes of him and Reece Wabara (at right back) can make an appearance in the likes of the Carling Cup next season!

Theres a player similar to Silva, has blonde hair, looks good. The player they got from Barca too.

Hopefully we can keep Pettruci and get him into the first team, probably after a loan move this season.

More like a regista than a DM, in this game at least. Him, Will Keane and Petrucci are the only players I see as having a chance to make it from this particular Reserve side. Brady and Tunnicliffe, I'd put down as question marks.

Fryers. I like him. Ideal physique already. Could be a decent squad player at least

Everyone knew it was a bad appointment, I just wonder why it was made. Thankfully Villa wasn't relegated .

I honestly think Lerner thought McLeish could shed some of the bad contracts, while keeping us midtable for a few years. He overestimated McLeish's tactics, and underestimated the fans reactions. I was fine with McLeish until about January. He wasn't what I wanted, but understood that we needed to adjust the business model before we could step back up to the plate. I think O'Neil damaged the club financially worse than we could handle.

Would be really stoked with OGS (that is how I will spell his demon tongue name).

I love the way Lerner has sent his jet supervillan style.

I'm going to need to take a month of Norwegian lessons so I can pronounce it right. Faridmon! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom