• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBlue

But do you believe your players will feel they same? I mean for most of them it'll be the last chance to win it.

I don't doubt their excitement or motivation. This is the biggest game in our history, the denouement to the last seven years of our club. However, externally I don't think there's as much pressure, if you get what I'm saying.

rififi

So the bank that OWNS Ronaldo has lost 20% of their worth. Real to go bankrupt? Would be good for Football.

Of course that bank is only one of 16 banks that have been downgraded, and other clubs in Spain have far more severe debt (and far less revenue, name recognition, brand value, etc) than Madrid. In the unlikely event that Madrid do go bankrupt, that would most likely mean that the majority of clubs in La Liga would already be bankrupt as well.
Is the destruction of La Liga a good thing for football (I'm sure some would agree if that means Madrid and Barca go down).

Anyways, due to Madrid's estimated brand value and having one of (if not the highest) turnover rates in football, no matter what happens to the banks in Spain, Madrid would never go bankrupt (but other clubs in Spain could very well go bankrupt).

Wessiej

Of course that bank is only one of 16 banks that have been downgraded, and other clubs in Spain have far more severe debt (and far less revenue, name recognition, brand value, etc) than Madrid. In the unlikely event that Madrid do go bankrupt, that would most likely mean that the majority of clubs in La Liga would already be bankrupt as well.
Is the destruction of La Liga a good thing for football (I'm sure some would agree if that means Madrid and Barca go down).

Anyways, due to Madrid's estimated brand value and having one of (if not the highest) turnover rates in football, no matter what happens to the banks in Spain, Madrid would never go bankrupt (but other clubs in Spain could very well go bankrupt).

The bubble that is called La Lige is about to burst. I for one find that good. Block alle the teams with debt from the Champions League/Europa League and I'm glad.

dantehemi

Does anyone know where I can find a fan site or blog on Lazio soccer club? Preferably English, but italian will also do. Thanks alot guys, I want to follow my favorite team through the offseason.

Zabojnik

Mourino wants to keep him. -_-

Or you know, pay the 150M.

I'm sure he does, but if Higuain (more or less) decided to leave ... Eh, I still think we'll end up buying Damiao or someone like that, but let me dream. :)

Frankly, if Marotta & co. manage to sign Verratti, Pogba, Asamoah and a better Pepe (Dzsudzsák, maybe?) and sell most of our dead weights, I think I'd be fine with a less stellar CF.

The bubble that is called La Lige is about to burst. I for one found that good. Block alle the teams with debt from the Champions League/Europa League and I'm glad.

lol yeah that isn't going to happen. Just the thought of Real, Barca and United being blocked from european competitions.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Does anyone know where I can find a fan site or blog on Lazio soccer club? Preferably English, but italian will also do. Thanks alot guys, I want to follow my favorite team through the offseason.

Hmm, Twitter is the best for getting latest news imo.

That's one of many channels. (you can find more if you search twitter)

I'm sure he does, but if he (more or less) decided to leave ... Eh, I still think we'll end up buying Damiao or someone like that, but let me dream. :)

kid+praying.jpg

Frankly, if Marotta & co. manage to sign Verratti, Pogba, Asamoah and a better Pepe (Dzsudzsák, maybe?) and sell most of our dead weights, I think I'd be fine with a less stellar CF.

Who's on your mind? I'd be really disappointed if we don't end up with WC striker after waiting for two years :(

Wessiej

lol yeah that isn't going to happen. Just the thought of Real, Barca and United being blocked from european competitions.

Would be fair. In Holland, a club can't have a debt for more than a couple of years. If they are in debt they need to report everytime they're going to do something with money. Also, they are not allowed to buy any other player.

A club in the second division got points reducted because they didn't pay 3000€ back on time.

Every club here in The Netherlands are working their ass off to make sure that they don't have a debt, and we see clubs as United en Real dominating in Europe because they can do whatever the fuck they want. Done with that shit.

Zabojnik

Some sources are also saying that Paratici went to Spain to meet with Pere Guardiola, Pep's brother and Suarez' agent. Interesting, if true.

rififi

Would be fair. In Holland, a club can't have a debt for more than a couple of years. If they are in debt they need to report everytime they're going to do something with money. Also, they are not allowed to buy any other player.

A club in the second division got points reducted because they didn't pay 3000€ back on time.

Every club here in The Netherlands are working their ass off to make sure that they don't have a debt, and we see clubs as United en Real dominating in Europe because they can do whatever the fuck they want. Done with that shit.

I completely agree. I would love for a system like this to be implemented in Spain (if not in all leagues) even at the detriment of Madrid, but unfortunately that is not going to happen.

However, Madrid already managed to get rid of their €270m debt once several years ago by selling property (of course they gained it all back by buying Zidane, Beckham, Ronaldo, and Figo to name a few). With the amount of revenue they receive each year, I am sure if they really wanted to, Madrid could dramatically reduce their debt - but they should probably start by making better decisions than spending €30m on someone like Coentrao.

Though the fact still stands - they don't have to make wiser financial decisions and can spend ridiculous amounts of transfer money because of how powerful they are as a brand, and the major problem is that there is no one willing to stand in their way.

Scum

Hi, guys.
So all this talk of Martinez to Liverpool is shaping up somewhat, eh? I thought it was going to be AVB?

GorillaJu

Hi, guys.
So all this talk of Martinez to Liverpool is shaping up somewhat, eh? I thought it was going to be AVB?

Not really sure, but it seems like Martinez is just one of the many managers being interviewed for the job. I think it's mostly just Dave Whelan making noise in the media.

I'm more curious to see how the whole structure will work. Our prior DoF's role is being splintered into two jobs and those two are supposed to be coming in soon. Rumors of Frank de Boer and Txiki Berigistain.

The manager will probably come after that. Of all the available managers, I think AVB would be the surest bet, still. He'd be the easiest to convince. I'd still like to see Fabio Capello, Jürgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola approached – you never know what they may be thinking if you don't try and sound them out.

Scum

Not really sure, but it seems like Martinez is just one of the many managers being interviewed for the job. I think it's mostly just Dave Whelan making noise in the media.

I'm more curious to see how the whole structure will work. Our prior DoF's role is being splintered into two jobs and those two are supposed to be coming in soon. Rumors of Frank de Boer and Txiki Berigistain.

The manager will probably come after that. Of all the available managers, I think AVB would be the surest bet, still. He'd be the easiest to convince. I'd still like to see Fabio Capello, Jürgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola approached – you never know what they may be thinking if you don't try and sound them out.

Ohhh. All nice choices. Completely forgot about Capello. Would be fun to see the youngsters given the chance to uproot the old guard. Here's hoping that whoever Liverpool end up with, Carragher is first on the chopping block.

Zabojnik

Who's on your mind? I'd be really disappointed if we don't end up with a WC striker after waiting for two years :(

The usual suspects, really. Although I would love nothing more than for Marotta & Paratici to discover a crack in some forgotten club in the middle of nowhere. Just for fucking once. I have no such hopes, though. Man, I don't know. On paper, everything seems to be in our favour. We just won the scudetto with a renewed and promising team, we'll be playing in the CL next season and have (some) money to spend. But if you look at every single player we seem to be courting ...

Higuain - Mourinho doesn't want to let him go, PSG could easily double our bid, if they really wanted to snatch him; if the rumors are true, he'd prefer to go to Juve, but then again - are we sure he's the kind of CF we really need?

Dzeko - His wage is way too high. It's not that we couldn't match what City is paying, it's that we don't want to. And I agree, kinda. The last thing I want is for us to sign a primadonna that makes double what our best players currently make. Also, I'm not sure Dzeko is what we need up front.

Van Persie - costs a lot, huge salary, 29 years old, injury prone, not tested in Serie A ... do I need to go on? Fantastic player to be sure, but he just doesn't make sense for us. Not right now. I'm convined he'll stay at Arsenal.

Cavani - Mission impossibile? I think so. If Napoli are set to sell Lavezzi to Inter, which seems more than likey at this point, there's no way they'll be selling Cavani as well. Well, unless Cavani is determined to go. Doesn't seem to be the case, though. His salary wouldn't be a problem, since he's making about 2mil€/year now, the transfer money on the other hand ... De Laurentis would be crazy to let him go for less than 40mil€. We could tempt them with Giovinco and Matri, but that's still a lot of money. There's also the whole Napoli -> Juve factor. I'm still not sure why Napoli fans seem to hate us so much, but they do and Cavani probably doesn't want to leave as a 'traitor'. Seems like too nice a guy.

Suarez - A few months back I was convinced he was going to be our no. 1 target for the summer, but things seem to have calmed down lately, haven't they? As I understand it he definitely wants to stay at Liverpool and the club isn't eager to sell. So ... not likely, I guess?

Damiao - We've been saying for two years now that what we need is a consecrated WC striker, a guaranteed goleador. Diamiao isn't that and they're asking way too much anyway, 25-30mil€. He's also brazilian and given our track record ... yeah. Pass.

Jovetić - I like Jojo, but a move from Fiorentina to Juventus is ... risky to say the very least. :)) Stevan has gone on record saying that he wants to stay in Firenze and there are doubts about his athletic integrity. Another knee injury could prove to be fatal. :/

So there you have it. No idea who we're buying and no idea who the 'less than stellar' WC would be in case we decide to invest in other areas. P...Pazzini? God, no, please. I take it back. MAROTTA, COMPRACI STO CAZZO DI CAMPIONE!!!

Kyoufu would kill for half a kebab and a thigh-rub from some Bela Lugosi-alike Uruguayan striker.

Clegg, cheer up. Shinji likes us, and has no reason to like Arsenal. Nobody does. Meus doesn't even watch football for anything but possession and fanciness.

If you're not there to watch it for enjoyment, then what are you watching it for?

Clegg

Just had a very strange experience on FM. It got the top 4 right but 1s and 2nd were switched.

Finished the season in 1st as United. City 2nd, Arse 3rd, Spurs 4th.

Micah Richards was left out of the England squad for the Euro's. Liverpool finished 9th in the league and Dalglish was sacked only to be replaced by Rafa.

And Redknapp is talking about 10 different strikers. Spurs are just after offering £40m for Suarez.

It might just be because I'm tired but I really think this game has become sentient.

Salazar

If you're not there to watch it for enjoyment, then what are you watching it for?

I dint mean nuffin by it.

I think I'm capable of enjoying all football in its way. Except for matches continually interrupted by fouls, or stifled by caution, or played on long-ball theory.

Centrally, I suppose I watch football in large part because of the continual 'up for grabs' frisson most matches supply. Tennis, for example, yields that sensation in machine-gunned doses. Football can drag it out wonderfully.

Wilbur

Banned
I've only seen the first one or two episodes of Game Of Thrones, but there's a little featurette on Sky Atlantic at the moment; that blonde girl is like the most gorgeous creature ever. Why is she so hot?!?!

Eugh, Pogba looked great tonight once more. So clearly a level above all the others on the pitch. Not quite ready for PL football in the first team but he's clearly far too good for reserve football.

Reminded me again why I'm so gutted we'll lose him.

Salazar

I've only seen the first one or two episodes of Game Of Thrones, but there's a little featurette on Sky Atlantic at the moment; that blonde girl is like the most gorgeous creature ever. Why is she so hot?!?!

I'll take Ygritte over Dany.

And Petrucci over the Pogtrayer.

Wilbur

Banned
Eugh, Pogba looked great tonight once more. So clearly a level above all the others on the pitch. Not quite ready for PL football in the first team but he's clearly far too good for reserve football.

Reminded me again why I'm so gutted we'll lose him.

I wonder why he hasn't gone out on loan.

I'll take Ygritte over Dany.

And Petrucci over the Pogtrayer.

I have no idea who Ygritte is. I watched the first two episodes of the first series and fell behind, and the girl who plays blondie just popped up with dark hair and she looks incredible. So I looked her up and she's naked all the time.

Time to watch Game Of Thrones.

Fry

Guys, Max Payne 3 is so awesome, buy it, play it, whaevs. Do it.

Ugh, I can't wait to play this game.

Since I have to wait, I'll try getting Max 1 and 2. Been some good years since I've played them, don't remember anything, only that it's awesome.

Clegg

How long is Max Paynes single player?

I want the game but I can't really be bothered getting it if it's only a 6 hour run through.

Fry

How long is Max Paynes single player?

I want the game but I can't really be bothered getting it if it's only a 6 hour run through.

IGN says it lasts no more than 12 hours, I got a friend who finished in 9. So yeah, around that.

Plus, apparently it's pretty hard. And that makes it last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom