• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Time to tune in to SSN for the next half an hour if the embargo is up at 11.

Betting has been suspended on a lot of sites. COME ON!

Well looks like my £15 at 4/6 was well placed. I've always had a soft spot for Solskjaer even if he did play for United, so I wish him all the best, genuinely. Really nice man.

You're welcome
I hope!

Back page of The Times

581416697.jpg

Fry

Why are ppl. so sure about this?

Their defense will be even more laughable than in the cup final vs. Dortmund since Badstuber, Alaba and Gustavo (although he was pretty bad too, lol) are missing.
They can't just attack Chelsea for 90 minutes straight. The last team that tried to do that was Barca, wasn't it?
It's probably going to be:
Neuer - Lahm, Boateng, Tymoshchuk, Contento- Kroos, Schweinsteiger - Robben, T. Müller, Ribery - Gomez

They never played like that before.
- Contento only made 5 full 90m games this season (with 4 of them being in the last league games to prep him for Kalou or Sturrige or whatever). All those games (vs. avg. to bad Bundesliga sides) were pretty bad. Notice how Heynckes didn't even care to put him on vs. Dortmund? Because he knew that he'd fuck up.

- Tymoshchuk, who is a DMF, had some of his worst games for Bayern when LvGaal fucked around with their defense and put him in as CB.

- with Kroos & Schweinsteiger they lack a DMF who would be taking care of business. Normally with that MF they'd just present the midfield on a silver platter to the opponent's team.

So they are clear favs. only because they're at home?
Ok, on the flip-side they will feel obliged to press the attack and will open themselves for some nasty counters.
If Chelsea doesn't fuck it up too bad, they should at least be able to score some goals vs. them.

I feel like it's a good opportunity to make some money, actually.

There is no such thing as favorites in a final, in my opinion (unless one team is vastly superior to the other). Anything can happen over one game. But if one team is playing at home, it clearly puts them as favorites, IMO.

kharma45

I feel like a twat for only sticking £15 on. Even at this stage I don't think I'd have the bottle to whack a grand down.

Would be funny if it was Bruce.

Ha at least you could stick that on, I can only deposit a fiver every 24 hours (why did I think that was a good idea :() so I'll have to console myself with a mighty £2.50 win.

Wish I'd bet earlier when we were told to lol.

dc89

Liverpool can want Guardiola all they want. I just couldn't see him going there, I can't see him managing the likes of Jay Spearing and Charlie Adam.

Hardly have the finesse and grace of like Xavi and Iniesta.

rodvik

Happy for the Villa lot. You guys deserve more than just Ole after suffering a season of McCleish ball.

Thanks! If he is backed with some money I am gonna be on cloud nine. Exciting times.

if Steve Bruce walks out from behind that curtain though I am rage quitting just fyi :)

PaulLFC

Put some money on Soskjaer a few minutes ago, hopefully he's confirmed as manager soon.

Since we're talking about bets, you might want to follow @ChasingProfit on Twitter, they pick out obscure bets that they think might have a good chance of winning on Betfair or Bet365 and tweet them.

I put a couple of quid on one of their recommendations this afternoon and it won. All 6 of their suggestions so far have won. Not bad. Obviously nothing is a certainty but it's a nice idea for finding more obscure bets.

kharma45

Just seen with Sky that I'll only win if Ole makes it 10 games (which I presume he will).

'Any manager in charge for 10 competitive games will be deemed permanent and settled as a winner.'

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
There is no such thing as favorites in a final, in my opinion (unless one team is vastly superior to the other). Anything can happen over one game. But if one team is playing at home, it clearly puts them as favorites, IMO.

BO3eC.jpg

fuenf

Btw. about Bayern's home advantage: It's a given that it's a huge advantage in the build up of the game but i dont think it will be an actual advantage during the game. I actually expect the Chelsea fans to "out-sing" the Bayern fans. Why? Because Bayern raffled their tickets away while only the most loyal and hardcore Chelsea fans will make the trip to Munich.

kharma45

Hope Ole does well with Villa, wouldn't mind seeing him as the next Manchester United boss as I said yesterday, seems to have done great things with Molde.

Wilbur

Banned
Holy shit this is awesome. One of my all time favourite players in charge of a side I've always had a soft spot for. I really want a top 10 finish for Villa-GAF next year!

OLE OLE OLE

You forget the most important facts: Chelsea isnt close to Dortmunds level (at least against Bayern), Barca got extremely unlucky, the 3 suspended Bayern players were the worst players on Saturday => the new defense cant be worse than them.
Nah, that's only true for Gustavo.
Alaba couldn't possibly look good vs. the "Piszczeck/Kuba symbiosis".
Badstuber was your best defender baring Lahm who always looks good against us, because we basically field 2 left backs (with Großkreutz also assuming a wb role) in games against Bayern. Badstuber also seemed like the only one who gave a fuck, which is often the case with that Bayern squad who is missing an "asshole" like vBommel or Effenberg. Schweinsteiger is not that asshole/doesn't give that much of a fuck & he's out of form too.

Boateng was directly responsible for a goal by fouling Kuba and, unlike Badstuberl, was indirectly responsible for 1 or 2 more goals.

And how is Alaba supposed to be worse than Contento
Look at Contento's grades (6 means F, 1 means A)
http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...muenchen-14/54843/spieler_contento-diego.html
And look at the teams you played at that time (all crap except for Stuttgart) - you also won all those games and he still managed to look like crap.
I don't get it, how did he even manage to get a 5 vs. Köln???

Tymo as a CB is supposed to better than Badstuber? You sure? Don't you remember the 10/11 games where he assumed that role?

As I already said Gustavo was horrid, but how is not having a defensive mindes midfielder better at all vs. Chelsea. Dunno...

I don't think your argument are in the least bit logical, sorry.

dc89

Eden Hazard to United for £45M is doing the rounds on Twitter. I want to know who starts these and how they grow haha!

Btw. about Bayern's home advantage: It's a given that it's a huge advantage in the build up of the game but i dont think it will be an actual advantage during the game. I actually expect the Chelsea fans to "out-sing" the Bayern fans. Why? Because Bayern raffled their tickets away while only the most loyal and hardcore Chelsea fans will make the trip to Munich.

Ok, maybe that's true, but that would still surprise the shit out of me, lol

first part: absolutely true
second part: I don't really think so. Having a final at home can fuck you up too. Just ask Portugal 2004.

/edit

Congrats Villa fans. Villa to win the EPL 12/13 :)

Hazard & Kagawa at United would be pretty damn impressive.

Liverpool can want Guardiola all they want. I just couldn't see him going there, I can't see him managing the likes of Jay Spearing and Charlie Adam.

Hardly have the finesse and grace of like Xavi and Iniesta.

I didn't realise he would have to keep them if he went there. Thinking is not a strong attribute for you is it?

Slizz

OT of the "Whose managing my club next season?" sagas.

This is the year that Neymar makes a move to a big club right?

Who does GAF think it'll be?

I don't think Barca will land him and RM will make one of the biggest bids I'm sure. Should be interesting.

K1LLER7

OT of the "Whose managing my club next season?" sagas.

This is the year that Neymar makes a move to a big club right?

Who does GAF think it'll be?

I don't think Barca will land him and RM will make one of the biggest bids I'm sure. Should be interesting.
I thought he agreed to move to Barca but only after the World Cup 2014. Messi or Ronaldo in the same team with Neymar just wouldn't be fair.

So what would he do?

Oh I don't know ....maybe sell players he doesn't want like Mancini did when he took over City. God gave you a brain, you should put it to use.

If he came, how much do you think would be invested in the team?

Someone with his pedigree wouldn't come unless eh knew he was going to be given the funds to build a squad. Anyway we shouldn't be having this conversation because he isn't coming.

fuenf

Nah, that's only true for Gustavo.
Alaba couldn't possibly look good vs. the "Piszczeck/Kuba symbiosis".
Badstuber was your best defender baring Lahm who always looks good against us, because we basically field 2 left backs (with Großkreutz also assuming a wb role) in games against Bayern. Badstuber also seemed like the only one who gave a fuck, which is often the case with that Bayern squad who is missing an "asshole" like vBommel or Effenberg. Schweinsteiger is not that asshole/doesn't give that much of a fuck & he's out of form too.

Boateng was directly responsible for a goal by fouling Kuba and, unlike Badstuberl, was indirectly responsible for 1 or 2 more goals.

And how is Alaba supposed to be worse than Contento
Look at Contento's grades (6 means F, 1 means A)
http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...muenchen-14/54843/spieler_contento-diego.html
And look at the teams you played at that time (all crap except for Stuttgart) - you also won all those games and he still managed to look like crap.
I don't get it, how did he even manage to get a 5 vs. Köln???

Tymo as a CB is supposed to better than Badstuber? You sure? Don't you remember the 10/11 games where he assumed that role?

As I already said Gustavo was horrid, but how is not having a defensive mindes midfielder better at all better vs. Chelsea. Dunno...

I don't think your argument are in the least bit logical, sorry.

Excellent analysis it's just that i dont expect Chelsea to play close to Dortmund's level. I mean why does Bayern always lose against Dortmund? The hustle of Dortmund's players is just unbelievable, they play physical, they got speed and they seem to run forever. I just dont think that Chelsea can match their playstyle.

Yeah Badstuber was the cornerstone of our defense but please dont underestimate Boateng, he is actually the player that corrects most of the mistakes, got speed, plays physical and wins most of his 1on1s. The thing with Boateng is, like you mentioned, that he is vulnerable to mental breakdowns; so yeah he looked bad on Saturday but against Real he already showed that he can get his act together and i just hope that he will on Saturday.

Sure i would rather play with Badstuber and Alaba. But the whole situation isnt as bad as it looks. Contento's problems are his defensive positioning and that he contributes very little on offense but i still believe that he's at least a serviceable player.

Like i said if Chelsea would play like Dortmund i'd be worried. And If Chelsea sits back the Kroos / Schweini partnership in midfield can actually work to our advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom