• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

If he came, how much do you think would be invested in the team?
Nobody knows. Rumours were the new manager will get £20-£30 million to spend, and then I assume that can be added to whatever is generated from any player sales. But FSG are hardly going to reveal their transfer budget to every other club, so a rumour is all it is.

Blame whoever put him on the shortlist. He's taking a sabbatical, which is something that person really should have checked.
According to the Times article, FSG have put him on the shortlist to make the list appear "more credible". For me it has the opposite effect. It just makes whoever added Guardiola look like they haven't done their research, unless they genuinely think they can convince him to return to management straight away, and at a club that isn't in the Champions League. That would be even more crazy.

dc89

Oh I don't know ....maybe sell players he doesn't want like Mancini did when he took over City. God gave you a brain, you should put it to use.

Someone with his pedigree wouldn't come unless eh knew he was going to be given the funds to build a squad. Anyway we shouldn't be having this conversation because he isn't coming.

if he came and spent £100M plus and he didn't finish in the top 4 it would probably cost him his job. It cost Kenny his. But you are right, he isn't going anywhere.

Wes

venison crêpe
Urgh the embargoed Guardian article was just the one saying Ole was linked with us.

Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow/Monday :(

K1LLER7

Wait, what? Really?

And yes, Neymar and either Ronaldo or Messi is beyond unfair.
Remember Guilemme Balague saying that a deal was agreed. He also said dani Alvez, Neymar and Messi are friends and play Fifa together. So he'd favour a move to Barca.

Slizz

Remember Guilemme Balague saying that a deal was agreed. He also said dani Alvez, Neymar and Messi are friends and play Fifa together. So he'd favour a move to Barca.

This makes me sad. 2 reasons. I'd prefer him on RM and if he's friends with Messi and Dani Alves why isn't he making an appearance at the World Soccer Masters Tour coming to Miami in June =(

Yen

if he came and spent £100M plus and he didn't finish in the top 4 it would probably cost him his job. It cost Kenny his. But you are right, he isn't going anywhere.

Haha, Pep hasn't even been given the job and you've started this.

K1LLER7

This makes me sad. 2 reasons. I'd prefer him on RM and if he's friends with Messi and Dani Alves why isn't he making an appearance at the World Soccer Masters Tour coming to Miami in June =(
Lol I'd prefer him at United :)

What's the world soccer master tour btw?

Arnie

Liverpool have to get this appointment right.

tUr7c.gif

sohois

According to the Times article, FSG have put him on the shortlist to make the list appear "more credible". For me it has the opposite effect. It just makes whoever added Guardiola look like they haven't done their research, unless they genuinely think they can convince him to return to management straight away, and at a club that isn't in the Champions League. That would be even more crazy.

Having Guardiola 'linked' by the papers would probably go some way to appeasing fans upset with talk of Martinez. Then when they hire Martinez they can claim talks with all these high-profile managers but they 'decided' on Martinez in the end.

Also, Tony Barrett was apparently suggesting that Pep Segura, current academy director, is set to be promoted, possibly to DoF or some similar role. Not really sure what to make of that, though I think it would be a pretty wise appointment.

Hmm apparently Palermo has bought Sebastian Sosa, guess Inter are taking back Viviano. :(

Silvestre leaving too after being a little bitch in the medias, Milan or Inter seems to be the most likely destination. But hey, Zamps is going to buy lots of young South Americans!

PaulLFC

Having Guardiola 'linked' by the papers would probably go some way to appeasing fans upset with talk of Martinez. Then when they hire Martinez they can claim talks with all these high-profile managers but they 'decided' on Martinez in the end.
I think that's their plan. I'm just not sure it'll work with most fans. I know forums aren't an indicator of the entire fanbase, but the general opinion seems to be "Why's Guardiola on the list? He'll never come to us / He's already said he's on a break from football / Why would he go to a team with no CL football / There's no way we could convince him even if he wanted a job somewhere / We're going to end up with Martinez aren't we?"

elsk

Banned
Why are ppl. so sure about this?

Their defense will be even more laughable than in the cup final vs. Dortmund since Badstuber, Alaba and Gustavo (although he was pretty bad too, lol) are missing.
They can't just attack Chelsea for 90 minutes straight. The last team that tried to do that was Barca, wasn't it?
It's probably going to be:
Neuer - Lahm, Boateng, Tymoshchuk, Contento- Kroos, Schweinsteiger - Robben, T. Müller, Ribery - Gomez

They never played like that before.
- Contento only made 5 full 90m games this season (with 4 of them being in the last league games to prep him for Kalou or Sturrige or whatever). All those games (vs. avg. to bad Bundesliga sides) were pretty bad. Notice how Heynckes didn't even care to put him on vs. Dortmund? Because he knew that he'd fuck up.

- Tymoshchuk, who is a DMF, had some of his worst games for Bayern when LvGaal fucked around with their defense and put him in as CB.

- with Kroos & Schweinsteiger they lack a DMF who would be taking care of business. Normally with that MF they'd just present the midfield on a silver platter to the opponent's team.

So they are clear favs. only because they're at home?
Ok, on the flip-side they will feel obliged to press the attack and will open themselves for some nasty counters.
If Chelsea doesn't fuck it up too bad, they should at least be able to score some goals vs. them.

I feel like it's a good opportunity to make some money, actually.

If our defense was so bad, how in hell did Bayern defense was the second best (behind Juve)? The melt-down against Dortmund was because of lack of concentration, not giving a fuck and awful tactics. Our defense has been very solid overall this season.

I'm only worried about the CB spot (both van Buyten or Tymo are shit as CB). Contento is a solid LB.
Chelsea won 1 match away this season in the CL.

1) Excellent analysis it's just that i dont expect Chelsea to play close to Dortmund's level. I mean why does Bayern always lose against Dortmund? The hustle of Dortmund's players is just unbelievable, they play physical, they got speed and they seem to run forever. I just dont think that Chelsea can match their playtyle.

2) Yeah Badstuber was the cornerstone of our defense but please dont underestimate Boateng, he is actually the player that corrects most of the mistakes, got speed, plays physical and wins most of his 1on1s. The thing with Boateng is, like you mentioned, that he is vulnerable to mental breakdowns; so yeah he looked bad on Saturday but against Real he already showed that he can get his act together and i just hope that he will on Saturday.

3) Sure i would rather play with Badstuber and Alaba. But the whole situation isnt as bad as it looks. Contento's problems are his defensive positioning and that he contributes very little on offense but i still believe that he's at least a serviceable player.

4) Like i said if Chelsea would play like Dortmund i'd be worried. And If Chelsea sits back the Kroos / Schweini partnership in midfield can actually work to our advantage.

1) True, but you also lost both games vs. Gladbach who don't really play like Dortmund, but more like Chelsea played vs. Barca (it sure sounded like that from the comments as I couldn't watch the game live). Some of it is true for Mainz & Hanover too.

They don't do the pressing/fore-checking like we do and they also don't actively participate in the game once they're in the lead like we do, they rather keep you coming, lure you into their counter attacks.
Most of the time we do that when you go into suicide mode...when we already lead by two goals or something. That is how I expect Chelsea to play really. Even more so because you're at home. They did that vs. Barca too and had quite a few counter attack chances (only seen the highlights).

Against those said teams you also end up having huge possession advantages (even against us). Just like Barca did vs. Chelsea.

2) I guess there is some truth to that. Let's see how it pans out.

3) Again, I feel like you're being overly optimistic, but we'll see.

4) See, but you still lost vs. those "park the bus, but have dangerous counter attacks teams". Even with Kroos/Schweine in some games (if I remember correctly).
You don't really have a proper 10er for those situations (only Ribery would really be fit for that, Kagawa and Götze as well). Neither Kroos, nor Müller posses the skill-set to break through a dense defense. You also lack a co-playing CF like Lewandowski, Gomez is miserable with passing and creativity.
In those games you often end up doing a handball passing around the goal without too many real chances.

Goddamn, I'm writing too much about Bayern. I should go to sleep, lol

Hixx

Guys, Max Payne 3 is so awesome, buy it, play it, whaevs. Do it.

Got it coming tomorrow. On the last Act of Diablo 3, wonder if I can finish it off in the morning.

Being unemployed is fucking great.

it sucks and im trying to cheer myself up :(((((((

(((((((((

Zabojnik

Last couple have days have been silly!And to top it off a guy I follow on Twitter who is known for his accurate information has said Capello to Chelsea is looking probable.

Maybe he has got it wrong this time, maybe he hasn't. Time to wait and see.

Took a glance (only that, I buy my toilet paper elsewhere) at Gazzetta at the bar yesterday and they were saying the same thing. Capello to Chelsea a done deal, even if Di Matteo manages to lift the trophy. And you Chelsea fans better hope he does, because Capello certainly won't. Overrated manager. There, I said it.

I'm 99% sure he'll play for Milan next season. Ibra, Tevez, Cassano. That only leaves Balotelli to complete the poker of cunts.
Cassano isn't really one. He's just ... Cassano.

dc89

Of course you aren't. You should worry about your own team.

What have I got to be concerned about lol?

City don't have to sell anyone. The Tevez saga has shown players that City won't tolerate rubbish, if you're not fulfilling your contract you won't be paid and you'll only be sold if the fee is righht for the club.

Say Yaya went, I think they'd buy someone else to try and fill those boots. It would be tough to do, but they wouldn't leave that pivotal role empty.
I'd worry if Aguero went cause he is class. Top, top class. But what title winning side then goes and sells their best striker after paying £38m for him just some 10/11 months before?

1) If our defense was so bad, how in hell did Bayern defense was the second best (behind Juve)? The melt-down against Dortmund was because of lack of concentration, not giving a fuck and awful tactics. Our defense has been very solid overall this season.

I'm only worried about the CB spot (both van Buyten or Tymo are shit as CB). Contento is a solid LB.

yeah, but your defense is basically embodied by Badstuber and a pretty good defensive minded midfielder (Gustavo) who does the dirty work in the MF. And Alaba helped you a great deal to get past Real. You won't have either of those vs. Chelsea. I'm comparing what will come vs. Chelsea to what was vs. Dortmund in the cup final and it can only be worse if Chelsea plays similar to how they played vs. Barca. Lack of concentration is nothing compared to being a make-shift defense and not really knowing each other.

Contento wasn't even solid in the Bundesliga vs. crappy team in games that you dominated. But keep believing that, maybe it comes true, hehe.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think Bayern are favourites simply because Chelsea are missing many key players. Ramires, Terry and Ivanovic are massive losses.

Is Gary Cahill even fit?

What have I got to be concerned about lol?

City don't have to sell anyone. The Tevez saga has shown players that City won't tolerate rubbish, if you're not fulfilling your contract you won't be paid and you'll only be sold if the fee is righht for the club.

Say Yaya went, I think they'd buy someone else to try and fill those boots. It would be tough to do, but they wouldn't leave that pivotal role empty.
I'd worry if Aguero went cause he is class. Top, top class. But what title winning side then goes and sells their best striker after paying £38m for him just some 10/11 months before?

Like I said worry about your own team, chap.

Dibbz

Guys, Max Payne 3 is so awesome, buy it, play it, whaevs. Do it.

Waiting for the PC version but is it still like the first two? By that I mean the general atmosphere and tone of the game. I've seen bits and pieces but it looked like a lot of sun, dancing girls and bald max looked crap, almost a complete 180 on the originals.

Wessiej

Waiting for the PC version but is it still like the first two? By that I mean the general atmosphere and tone of the game. I've seen bits and pieces but it looked like a lot of sun, dancing girls and bald max looked crap, almost a complete 180 on the originals.

Tone is kinda different but still good. Max is getting crazy and you are for 65% of the game in a sunny place, but that's not a bad thing. And bald Max, yeah that's what you do when you are getting crazy as fuck.

I enjoyed MP1/2 a lot and this is one of my favorite games so far, goddamn. Narration and story are still awesome.

elsk

Banned
yeah, but your defense is basically embodied by Badstuber and a pretty good defensive minded midfielder (Gustavo) who does the dirty work in the MF. And Alaba helped you a great deal to get past Real. You won't have either of those vs. Chelsea. I'm comparing what will come vs. Chelsea to what was vs. Dortmund in the cup final and it can only be worse if Chelsea plays similar to how they played vs. Barca. Lack of concentration is nothing compared to being a make-shift defense and not really knowing each other.

Contento wasn't even solid in the Bundesliga vs. crappy team in games that you dominated. But keep believing that, maybe it comes true, hehe.

Gustavo was a benchwarmer for like half season. Alaba started to play recently. Our good defense is a mix of amazing defensive tactics by Jupp and Badstuber being awesome. I think Contento will do fine, Ribéry also helps a lot in defense.

You can't compare the cup match vs. Dortmund. That was like our worst game in the whole season. We were defending with only our 2 CBs.

Chelsea won 1 away match this season in the CL. We won all our home matches this season in the CL.

fuenf

1) True, but you also lost both games vs. Gladbach who don't really play like Dortmund, but more like Chelsea played vs. Barca (it sure sounded like that from the comments as I couldn't watch the game live). Some of it is true for Mainz & Hanover too.

They don't do the pressing/fore-checking like we do and they also don't actively participate in the game once they're in the lead like we do, they rather keep you coming, lure you into their counter attacks.
Most of the time we do that when you go into suicide mode...when we already lead by two goals or something. That is how I expect Chelsea to play really. Even more so because you're at home. They did that vs. Barca too and had quite a few counter attack chances (only seen the highlights).

Against those said teams you also end up having huge possession advantages (even against us). Just like Barca did vs. Chelsea.

2) I guess there is some truth to that. Let's see how it pans out.

3) Again, I feel like you're being overly optimistic, but we'll see.

4) See, but you still lost vs. those "park the bus, but have dangerous counter attacks teams". Even with Kroos/Schweine in some games (if I remember correctly).
You don't really have a proper 10er for those situations (only Ribery would really be fit for that, Kagawa and Götze as well). Neither Kroos, nor Müller posses the skill-set to break through a dense defense. You also lack a co-playing CF like Lewandowski, Gomez is miserable with passing and creativity.
In those games you often end up doing a handball passing around the goal without too many real chances.

Goddamn, I'm writing too much about Bayern. I should go to sleep, lol

1) That's a valid point, but let's not forget that those 2 loses against Gladbach were facilitated by individual errors. Against those park-the-bus teams it's kinda hit or miss for Bayern; usually if Bayern manages to score early they'll continue to tear the opponent apart but if they cant score in the first half they tend to get desperate and forget to defend.

3) I know but i have to believe. I think that a defeat would rival the 99 CL-Final and the 2006, 2010 World Cup semis as the most disappointing football matches i ever witnessed (depends on how the game plays out). If your team somehow lucks its way into the final (like the Euro 2008, CL 2010) it isnt as bad but being the favorite (even if it's 51-49) makes things far worse. Not to mention that a Bayern win would really help our Euro 2012 chances!
WE JUST HAVE TO WIN BOTH! GERMANY!!!!!

4) You found the major weakness. I think Kroos playing the 10 was essential to Bayern's recent streak of success. I just hope that Müller can show of his "national team" / World Cup form.

If it makes you feel any better, it was really painful for me to write all those things about how great Dortmund plays :(. For a moment i even thought that you just wanted to trick me into admitting all those things about your BVB.

edit: I cant share you admiration for Chelsea's defending against Barca. Sure they fought great but in the end it was pure luck, Barca missed like 5 or 7 sitters, hit the post / cross bar, missed a penalty and Chelsea scored on 3 of the 4 chances they had (welp, that last part sounds awfully similar to our games against Dortmund ;( ).

K1LLER7

http://theworldmastersofsoccer.com/news.php?lang=en

An exhibition thing happening this Summer headed by Messi and a bunch of other stars touring.

Sounds too amazing for me to pass up since it is coming to my neck of the woods.

EDIT: I also think that the PL is not the place for Neymar to start his European career. La Liga is much better suited for him.
Ah thanks, hope you enjoy it, would definitely go if I was there. About Neymar, i agree would prefer he go Madrid over Barca.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think Bayern are favourites simply because Chelsea are missing many key players. Ramires, Terry and Ivanovic are massive losses.

Is Gary Cahill even fit?

Bayern are missing people too. One of Luiz or Cahill has to play.

Dibbz

Tone is kinda different but still good. Max is getting crazy and you are for 65% of the game in a sunny place, but that's not a bad thing. And bald Max, yeah that's what you do when you are getting crazy as fuck.

I enjoyed MP1/2 a lot and this is one of my favorite games so far, goddamn. Narration and story are still awesome.

ok that's kinda good. What's the online like?

TrueBlue

The only important one is Badstuber, mainly because we don't have a backup CB :p
But I think Chelsea is going to miss Ramirez BIG TIME.

Aye that we will. Personally hope that Essien/Mikel have it in them to fill his boots. I'm feeling amazingly calm ahead of the final, I don't think there's that much pressure on Chelsea to win, which might suit us.

fuenf

Aye that we will. Personally hope that Essien/Mikel have it in them to fill his boots. I'm feeling amazingly calm ahead of the final, I don't think there's that much pressure on Chelsea to win, which might suit us.

But do you believe your players will feel they same? I mean for most of them it'll be the last chance to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom