• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

banghead.gif

And now we're stuck with a giant that can't finish and a small one that is just too inexperienced...

AHHHHHH!

I think Klose would fit a lot more than Gómez in the style of play we played this season.
Yup.
Honest question: Is Gomez the problem or Ribery / Robben and Bayern's playstale?
This Barcelona-lite just doesnt seem work. I can see Robben fitting well into a fast pace counter-attacking team like Dortmund but even then he couldnt shoot as much from of the outside the area as he does now. On the other hand i dont think that Lewandowski playing for Bayern would change that much, as he would basically be in the same position as Gomez: Inside the area without any /few quality crosses or passes.
With strikers like Drogba, Ibra and Lewandowski (getting there) you don't really have to serve them their opportunities on a platter and don't have to service them all that much, you can basically shoot the ball in their general direction and they'll keep possession and forward it to a player in a better position or create a chance on their own. Gomez will never ever be able to do that, his technical ability is that limited.
People should divorce themselves from the notion that he is anywhere of being a great striker.

And you're right about Robbery. None of them is a team player at heart (Ribery totally left Contento in the cold today and often ran full steam into 2-3 Chelsea players).

Maybe it's due to the fact that they're too far apart and lack a strong fast-paced dribbler, passer in the midst (a real 10er, neither Müller nor Kroos) and since they can't really operate with Gomez in that fashion either, they're just isolated.
It doesn't help either that they never change positions/wings and don't seem to have any "rehearsed" attacking patterns.

Also your wingbacks don't do as much offensively anymore. Alaba is getting there, but Lahm is too angsty these days (when Lahm did try something vs. us in the cup final he instantly created a chance). The winning goal in Madrid was initiated by Lahm too.
It's probably due to the fact that he has to play babysitter for Robben. I bet he'd do way more with Müller on the right wing.

The team really lacked players like van Bommel or Lucio today, or even Badstuber.

Boateng, Kroos, Robben, etc. are a bunch of pussies.

That too, Schweine was (un)surprisingly spineless & quite (not just because of the early yellow). He's just no leader material.

I thought Kroos was pretty terrible. All I remember him doing was taking shots from distance.
He seems out of place in modern football. He'd be ok in 95-2005 as German "Zidane" (fairly slow, CM playmaker). He should really be schooled to become Schweinsteiger's apprentice on the 6 (and not play besides him) or forever be a lackluster 10er. His passes can be good at times, but he's just soo damn slow (mentally and physically) and obviously not a great dribbler or finisher.

jtb

Banned
So engrossed with the Spurs rivalry that they'd rather Chelsea be the first London team to win the European Cup/Champions League.
*smh*

We had our chance. We've had a chance for the past seven years. And, of course, Wayne fucking Bridge. That time too. Wenger disbanded the Invincibles before they had a chance to win the European cup... Chelsea haven't disbanded this spine, and it pains me to say this, but they have earned it. :'(

edit: Attacking trio of Hazard-Mata-Marin, with maybe a new striker up front (or, who knows, a rejuvenated Torres)? That'd be one hell of a lineup.

spidye

Also your wingbacks don't do as much offensively anymore. Alaba is getting there, but Lahm is too angsty these days (when Lahm did try something vs. us in the cup final he instantly created a chance). The winning goal in Madrid was initiated by Lahm too.
It's probably due to the fact that he has to play babysitter for Robben. I bet he'd do way more with Müller on the right wing.
agreed. we played our best games when robben was injured and müller played with lahm on the right side.

elsk

Banned
I don't really see Robben recovering from this. He even said not so long ago that when he was injured this last time he was about to retire. I think he's going to lose the starting spot RW against Shaqiri next season.

He seems out of place in modern football. He'd be ok in 95-2005 as German "Zidane" (fairly slow, CM playmaker). He should really be schooled to become Schweinsteiger's apprentice on the 6 (and not play besides him) or forever be a lackluster 10er. His passes can be good at times, but he's just soo damn slow (mentally and physically) and obviously not a great dribbler or finisher.

I think he is very much like Xavi. We played very well using him as CM and Gustavo as DM, but when Schweini came back he was again pushed to AM (or even as CM alongside Schweini like today). His vision and passing are world class.

Sell Diaby, Walcott, RVP, TV, Santos, Fabianski? Have people gone insane? There's no way we bring in 10 new players if we sell all the ones people have mentioned.

Kazzy

Hazard is becoming the perennial gold at the end of the rainbow at this point, I refuse to believe anyone will actually be able to sign him!

fuenf

I don't know whether you will understand what I mean when I say this, but ask yourselves, is this Bayern side at it's peak, at it's very top level? Or could it get better. I think it can get much better. You have a core of young players and some clear weaknesses which I assume your management will amend. When a team is at it's peak and loses it's chance at glory that has to be really hard to take. Not saying this isn't a tough loss, it really is...but Bayern will be back and IMO, back stronger than they were tonight.

They can come back stronger but you shouldnt forget that Lahm, Kroos, Contento, Schweinsteiger, Müller, Badstuber and Alaba all came from Bayern's youth. Add fellow Germans Neuer, Boateng and Gomez and you have the most homegrown / hometown team you could possibly imagine. Ribery is a legend and Robben will forever be loved for what he did in 2010. This wasnt a squad of mercenaries like City, this was our team, our FC Bayern, our family and this team had the opportunity to win the most prestigious cup at their homeground.

Could Bayern get stronger? Sure. Would a strenghtened squad be able to win the Champions League next year? Sure, but everyone would just say "typical Bayern bullshit, they lost and couldnt take it => bought the competitions best players and therefore bought the title".

I don't really see Robben recovering from this. He even said not so long ago that when he was injured this last time he was about to retire. I think he's going to lose the starting spot RW against Shaqiri next season.

I think he is very much like Xavi. We played very well using him as CM and Gustavo as DM, but when Schweini came back he was again pushed to AM (or even as CM alongside Schweini like today). His vision and passing are world class.

He played fine at AM when Robben was out, mostly because he would drop back and let Schweinsteiger make his runs. Or he and Schweini would over load the middle of the pitch as soon as the ball went wide.

It all comes back to Schweinsteiger being complete shit after he got back from injury.

spidye

wouldn't bother me. not in the slightest.

Sell Diaby, Walcott, RVP, TV, Santos, Fabianski? Have people gone insane? There's no way we bring in 10 new players if we sell all the ones people have mentioned.

Sell list(least damaging to our strength as a team)

Fabianski
Squillaci
Park
Chamakh
Vela
Arshavin
Mannone
Bendtner
Denilson
Lansbury

Lightning

Banned
What can we possibly achieve from selling Fabianski? He's as good a back up goal keeper that we're ever going to get. Great keepers don't like the back up role, especially to a very young keeper like Szczesny. It would be a waste of time, imo. We've got more important things to worry about in the transfer market than a back up goal keeper.

elsk

Banned
He played fine at AM when Robben was out, mostly because he would drop back and let Schweinsteiger make his runs. Or he and Schweini would over load the middle of the pitch as soon as the ball went wide.

It all comes back to Schweinsteiger being complete shit after he got back from injury.

When Kroos plays as CAM we actually play a 4-3-3 like when we faced Real Madrid, and it works well when we have to defend.

But when we have to attack, like today (4-2-3-1), he just doesn't work, because he can't change positions with the winger or make a run, etc like a true CAM. Mueller does it, but he's a second striker.

K1LLER7

Is he even that good? I hear his name thrown about but never actually hear about him setting Ligue 1 on fire or anything.

He got Ligue 1 player of the season 2 years in a row iirc.

looks a good player, but would take Barca's Sanchez personally. still disappointed we never went for him.

jtb

Banned

We wouldn't need 10 new players. We need... a CM (defensive minded, in the Arteta/Song mold... M'Vila would be perfect), a striker (Dzeko/RVP swap please :D), a solid center half, and a back up full back (Gibbs/Sagna are both injury prone and we don't have a back up right back). I'd imagine the bill being anywhere from 20-40 million pounds, depending on whether or not RVP goes. Diaby doesn't play anyways, we've got more then enough young wingers (Ox, Miyachi, Gervinho, Podolski can play on the wing too).

Keep TV, he's unreliable but far better than any cheap center halves we'll get for the price of selling him. As for the other ones, they're either already leaving, have one year left, are injury prone, or are simply shit. Yes, that includes RVP (but, let's face it, whether or not he leaves isn't up to whether or not we want him anyways).

Again, I only included Fabianski because I thought he wanted to leave! I think he's a decent back-up and a hell of a lot better than Almunia lol. For once, Arsenal actually has a the keeper situation under control. Shame about the rest of the team...

fuenf

Yup.

With strikers like Drogba, Ibra and Lewandowski (getting there) you don't really have to serve them their opportunities on a platter and don't have to service them all that much, you can basically shoot the ball in their general direction and they'll keep possession and forward it to a player in a better position or create a chance on their own. Gomez will never ever be able to do that, his technical ability is that limited.
People should divorce themselves from the notion that he is anywhere of being a great striker.

I know what you mean but how often does Bayern shoot the ball in the general direction of the striker? Not very often, i get it that we could really use a striker that can do these type of things against teams like Dortmund. But i dont think it would've helped much today as Chelsea had at least like 6 guys in the box and Bayern played their handball-style football. If anything they need a guy like Messi or Aguero who operates from midfield most of the time and can beat a guy 1on1, to bad that those two arent growing on trees. :( But that is what happens when you try to play like a Barcelona-lite without a Messi.

What can we possibly achieve from selling Fabianski? He's as good a back up goal keeper that we're ever going to get. Great keepers don't like the back up role, especially to a very young keeper like Szczesny. It would be a waste of time, imo. We've got more important things to worry about in the transfer market than a back up goal keeper.

He's too sloppy, he's has had enough chances already, I think if he had a big run of games he would come good but I don't think he'll get it now.
We need an older goalie who doesn't expect to play much but knows the game and makes the right calls 99% of the time.

Salvadora

I really hope Wenger doesn't play Podolski on the wing. Even if RVP stays we need to buy more than one striker. Bendtner and Chamakh can go.

If Bayern had a strong-willed manager, someone with a great reputation whom those divas would listen to & obey (e.g. Pep or Mou), he could try to mold your players into better positions.
Assuming such a manager also would have to keep the current Bayern player (& play them for them not to get distressed), he'd probably try to put Robben on the left wing (he's left-footed after all). Ribery on the 10 and keep Müller on the team as right winger.

Robben(Mr. X) - Ribery (Mr. X/Kroos) - Müller (Shaqira)

This would probably work really great. Robben would have to lose his selfishness and stop doing his dumb trick (try to get towards the middle, near the box and shoot at the goal) and play more crosses. Ribery could easily fulfill the 10er role while Müller would do his Müller stuff.

I know what you mean but how often does Bayern shoot the ball in the general direction of the striker? Not very often, i get it that we could really use a striker that can do these type of things against teams like Dortmund. But i dont think it would've helped much today as Chelsea had at least like 6 guys in the box and Bayern played their handball-style football. If anything they need a guy like Messi or Aguero who operates from midfield most of the time and can beat a guy 1on1, to bad that those two arent growing on trees. :( But that is what happens when you try to play like a Barcelona-lite without a Messi.

What about counterattacks? You do play counterattacks too, you know? It's just that they never end up in goals.
How often does Milan do it? It's still better to have a striker capable of the things I described and having some tech. ability never hurts either.
There are more than enough (non-50m) strikers with better tech & dribblings than Gomez'.

Clegg

Hazard is asking for an awful lot considering he's only 21. If City and United opt of of the transfer then you couldn't really blame them.

Of course, if City don't get Hazard then they'll be in the market for someone else. Stay away from Shinji, you bastards.

Salazar

Man Utd.com said:
Ji-sung Park has reiterated his desire to end his career with United, despite not playing as much as he would have liked this season.

The Korean winger made 28 appearances in 2011/12, but was limited to a substitute role for much of the second half of the campaign.

Nevertheless, the 31-year-old told reporters in his homeland that he wants to see out his playing days at Old Trafford and help the Reds recover from this year's title heartache.

"It was a disappointing end to the season, both for the team and me personally," said Park, whose contract expires at the end of next season.

"But the past is the past and we must look forward. I'll focus on what to do from now on. It's true that I want to retire at United, but it does not depend on me.

"The season is over now; I just want to take a rest and not think about anything."

His Running Man appearance will be so hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom