• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught Offside
Marouane Chamakh and Nicklas Bendtner could be two of 10 players who might leave Arsenal this summer as Arsene Wenger revamps his squad.

Please be true.This plus the no playoffs clarification is great news.

fuenf

And he is the wrong striker for Robbery & without a good 10er. You either have him and two servicing wingers (like Müller), or have someone capable of participating in vertical attacks (like Lewandowski or pretty much any other top striker).

Honest question: Is Gomez the problem or Ribery / Robben and Bayern's playstale?
This Barcelona-lite just doesnt seem work. I can see Robben fitting well into a fast pace counter-attacking team like Dortmund but even then he couldnt shoot as much from of the outside the area as he does now. On the other hand i dont think that Lewandowski playing for Bayern would change that much, as he would basically be in the same position as Gomez: Inside the area without any /few quality crosses or passes.

fuenf

Wanna firstly send my commiserations to Bayern-GAF and to a lesser extent, Spurs-GAF. Horrible to lose everything on penalties.

But hey, I am a Chelsea fan. To say I'm happy is a massive understatement. The perfect denouement to the last seven years as well as putting the spectre of Moscow to bed. In a daze if I'm honest, ain't sunk in.

Congrats, winning the thing the way you guys did (totally undeserved ;) ) must feel like the greatest thing in the world.

I just hope that Roman now loses his interest in football and starts a Formula 1 team or something like that ;)

jtb

Banned
There is a reason Arsenal and Tottenham aren't going to win anything in the next few years, because both are very well run. As much as I dislike Arsenal, I like them because they are well run and play attractive football.

Pointless being a well run club though when you have oil rich people wanting a hobby.

FFP won't change a damn thing either.

See, as an Arsenal fan, I really find Abramovich rather appealing as an owner. You can just see the child-like glee on his face when his team wins shit; it really is just an expensive toy to him. He just wants to have the best team in the world, and will buy (and ruin... though Torres has been looking excellent lately) vanity signings just for the hell of it.

By comparison, Shiek Monsour is just dull. city buys Arsenal players, Arsenal targets, and, on occasion, an extra player that they don't need, just to give their transfer rivals the middle finger. tevez, bridge, santa cruz lolol, there's no regard for... anything. there's no personality. just money money money.

also YES YES YES @ Chamakh/Bendtner news. I actually like Chamakh (Wenger ruined him, he should've been next Adebayor), but this will force Wenger to buy a half decent striker. Park should be on his way out too... unless he's forgotten he's still on the payroll.

Wes

venison crêpe
Some interesting news coming out of Norway, translated by a Villa fan:

OGS is not happy with Molde director Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen for leaking the Q&A between him and Molde owner Røkke tonight.
THESE ARE SOLSKJÆR'S THREE ANSWERS, SUPPOSEDLY

(AP) Tonight Molde director Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen has revealed Ole Gunnar Solskjær's responses to Kjell Inge Røkke three questions.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær received three questions from Aker owner Kjell Inge Røkke before he traveled to Birmingham on Friday.

When it was announced that Aston Villa wanted to talk to Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Aker owner and one of Molde's most important partners Røkke, asked three questions. The answers supposedly weren't received well, and eventually was one of the factors that Aker is now pulling out of Molde after this season.

- This is perceived as incompatible with the MFK community we are both a part of, Røkke, Aker ASA's chairman and principal owner, said in a statement Friday.

- I thought we were going to look ahead

Saturday night Solskjær learned that VG press publiciced the responses to the three questions that Røkke wanted answered.

- So those were these answers I "did not produce," grins Ole Gunnar Solskjær - with reference to Akers press release Friday that said that "the questions were not answered by Solskjær."

- I thought we agreed that we should call it quits and look ahead after the press conference in Molde, he says when he calls VG during extra time in the Champions League final.

- Now we see what game is really played here.

Solskjær is a bit distraught to learn that his three answers to Røkke and Molde leadership has come to VG.

- It was a confidential conversation between us, says the manager.

- I had hoped that I did not have to comment on this any more now.

- Will travel as soon as I can

According to Molde director Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen, which reproduces the responses to VG, Solskjær said the following on the three questions from Røkke:

1. Will you lead Molde of the season?
- It's a hypothetical question, but if the job is offered to me, I will travel as soon as I can - probably after the game against Hønefoss (next Friday).

2. If / when you go from MFK, will you take with you some of the support in MFK?
- I want to bring Mark (Dempsey) and Richard (Hartis) (the two coaches that Solskjær took to Molde).

3. If / when you go from MFK, will you take with you some of MFKs players?
- Yes, I want to make an offer to Magnus Wolff Eikrem.

Solskjær's comment:

- It's hard to remember everything I said, but this renders the truth, "roughly," he says, but he would like to emphasize several things about his answer to the first question:

- My answer was that if Aston Villa will have a new manager and they want me, and I agree, they can not wait until after the season. It will naturally take place in the Norwegian holiday. Most likely with Hønefoss as the last match. A new manager must be in place when preparation for the new season starts. It is the natural point of time.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær expresses consternation that the matter continues to roll:

- We had good internal talks Saturday and agreed to look ahead. We were supposed to end this with the press conference after the training, because we have work to do.

The fact that this comes out benefits no one in the club, says boss Solskjær.

- What do you think about this?

- Who's acting honestly and decently, is up to everyone to consider thoroughly.

- What do you say to Tarje N. Jacobsen characterization as "refusal to follow orders" that you went to Aston Villa?

- He never refused me to go, but he said there could be consequences if I left.

elsk

Banned
So? Klose at Bayern was not the Klose we know and love.
Also yt comments: "Close... but not Klose enough"

I think Klose would fit a lot more than Gómez in the style of play we played this season.

And yeah, obviously Gómez sucks. I've been saying it all season long... I can't believe our replacement for Ribéry was putting Olic as LW haha, I don't even know how we managed to get this far.

Blackhead

Redarse
Our wing players are all about pace.

Your wing players (Robbery), yes, but your fullbacks not so much. I'm saying Lahm is a very skilled player who can get by without pace. Giggs reinvented himself when he lost pace and I'm sure Lahm can do the same.

I think Lahm deserved to win today and his career should have been rewarded with an international title by now but let's not say the eulogies just yet.

FC Bayern fans - Chin. Up. That's all that you can say really. A season of heart-breaks for you guys, coming 2nd is all the competitions but you guys should be real proud of your team. It's done really well this season and been unlucky, also played great football whenever I've watched them and for the most part behaved in a good spirit.

The team and players couldn't bring you guys silverware this year but the club remains a great one and the foundations for success are there. I'm sure you guys will get it. The sad times makes the good ones all that much sweeter.

Chelsea-GAF - I was rooting for Bayern but I am genuinley happy for you guys and for pretty much all your players apart from Terry. They've performed so well in the CL over the years and it would have been a shame if they never managed to win it. They've done that now. It was lucky, sure. But you need some luck, it was written more like.

Spurs fans - Well...sorry, all you can say really.

Dibbz

also YES YES YES @ Chamakh/Bendtner news. I actually like Chamakh (Wenger ruined him, he should've been next Adebayor), but this will force Wenger to buy a half decent striker. Park should be on his way out too... unless he's forgotten he's still on the payroll.

lol please. Chamakhs problem was he was competing with RVP for a spot. If he wasn't so shit then yeah maybe he would get a few subs and starts.

elsk

Banned
The team really lacked players like van Bommel or Lucio today, or even Badstuber.

Boateng, Kroos, Robben, etc. are a bunch of pussies.

Kazzy

There is a reason Arsenal and Tottenham aren't going to win anything in the next few years, because both are very well run. As much as I dislike Arsenal, I like them because they are well run and play attractive football.

I know fans wouldn't wish for financial woes, but their constant referral to being a well run club is like trying to win a prize that no one else is competing for. I'm sure some would welcome a little more excitement.

lol please. Chamakhs problem was he was competing with RVP for a spot. If he wasn't so shit then yeah maybe he would get a few subs and starts.

We don't cross the ball, Chamakh never had a chance anyway, if we stuck Carrol in the Arsenal team he'd be even worse than he is at Liverpool.

Yet he'd be pretty good at Stoke.

spidye

The team really lacked players like van Bommel or Lucio today, or even Badstuber.

we neded alaba for the penalties. not olic
kid has more balls than arjen 'the flying dutchman, diva, glass man' robben

Soi-Fong

The only one that had balls in your team was Neuer pretty much. United really missed on an amazing keeper (though De Gea is getting better).

jtb

Banned
10 players that should fuck off/that have been ruined by Wenger:

• Chamakh
  • Bendtner
  • Squillaci (!!!!!)
  • Fabianksi
  • Arshavin
  • Vela
... those either are already on their way out or HAVE to go.

optional ones:
  • RVP (time to cash out folks!)
  • Theo (please.)
  • Diaby (!!!!!!!)
  • Santos

He's not a finisher. He's a target man. He holds the ball up, and should have been partnered in a 4-4-2. Adebayor rarely played as a lone striker at Arsenal, and Chamakh shouldn't have had to either. PArtner him with Bendtner. Partner him with RVP. Partner him with fucking theo. RVP staying fit ruined him, sadly, but they should've been able to coexist if it were not for Wenger's idiotic insistence on playing 4-3-3 (which is really a 4-5-1 since there's zero goal threat from the wings AND the wingers are almost always shit crossers.)

Dibbz

We don't cross the ball, Chamakh never had a chance anyway, if we stuck Carrol in the Arsenal team he'd be even worse than he is at Liverpool.

Yet he'd be pretty good at Stoke.

Well that's Chamakh's problem. Can't play with his feet but wants to play at Arsenal. Plz go

Tbf he did have some good games but he looks like he doesn't give a shit 100% of the time which is fucking annoying. He is like Arshavin with less talent.

• Chamakh
  • Bendtner
  • Squillaci (!!!!!)
  • Fabianksi
  • Arshavin
  • Vela

Denilson too.I'd rather keep Fabianski and offload Almunia or bring in a new GK and get rid of both.

fuenf

FC Bayern fans - Chin. Up. That's all that you can say really. A season of heart-breaks for you guys, coming 2nd is all the competitions but you guys should be real proud of your team. It's done really well this season and been unlucky, also played great football whenever I've watched them and for the most part behaved in a good spirit.

The team and players couldn't bring you guys silverware this year but the club remains a great one and the foundations for success are there. I'm sure you guys will get it. The sad times makes the good ones all that much sweeter.

Thanks for the kind words, you are 100% right but this final is something the players or the club will never be able to replicate. :( In the interviews after the game you could see, that most players just felt dead on the inside. I guess for most Bayern executives, players and fans it would've been special to win this thing with a great albeight flawed squad.

elsk

Banned
I thought Kroos was pretty terrible. All I remember him doing was taking shots from distance.

Kroos was creating chances all over the pitch, he assisted the goal. You don't really notice him but he's all over the place. And he scored long distance shoots against Manchester City and a other teams in the CL this season.

Still, he really lacks confidence. a critical free kicker taker as him should've took the second penalty.

elsk

Banned
Thanks for the kind words, you are 100% right but this final is something the players or the club will never be able to replicate. :( In the interviews after the game you could see, that most players just felt dead on the inside. I guess for most Bayern executives, players and fans it would've been special to win this thing with a great albeight flawed squad.

Maybe the board gets that we need a proper bench. 90% of our bench was reserve team quality.

The only one that had balls in your team was Neuer pretty much. United really missed on an amazing keeper (though De Gea is getting better).

Lahm was a true captain for the first time. (IMO) He was very solid today, and took the first penalty despite missing the penalty in the RM match.

• Chamakh
  • Bendtner
  • Squillaci (!!!!!)
  • Fabianksi
  • Arshavin
  • Vela

optional ones:
  • Theo (please.)
  • Diaby (!!!!!!!)
  • Santos

He's not a finisher. He's a target man. He holds the ball up, and should have been partnered in a 4-4-2. Adebayor rarely played as a lone striker at Arsenal, and Chamakh shouldn't have had to either. PArtner him with Bendtner. Partner him with RVP. Partner him with fucking theo. RVP staying fit ruined him, sadly, but they should've been able to coexist if it were not for Wenger's idiotic insistence on playing 4-3-3 (which is really a 4-5-1 since there's zero goal threat from the wings)

I think now would be a good time to sell Vermaelen to be honest, he has be terrible for the most part this season.

Personally I think Theo should be given a chance upfront, when he is in a goal scorer position he wants to score, on the wing it is average at best.

Salvadora

I'm torn on Theo, At times he is the most frustrating player you will ever watch yet at others he will have moments of brilliance. I do wish Wenger would play him in a more central role so we could see how he plays in his preferred position.

rodvik

Molde have a match tomorrow, Thursday and the following Monday. It'll be the days directly after the games where we'll see any action.

Strange how excited I am about this. I would honestly prefer OGS to AVB right now. Silly I know but thats how I feel.

spidye

Chelsea-GAF - I was rooting for Bayern but I am genuinley happy for you guys and for pretty much all your players apart from Terry. They've performed so well in the CL over the years and it would have been a shame if they never managed to win it. They've done that now. It was lucky, sure. But you need some luck, it was written more like.

Spurs fans - Well...sorry, all you can say really.
thanks. we will get over it somehow but it will haunt us for a very long time

Dibbz

optional ones:
  • Theo (please.)
  • Diaby (!!!!!!!)
  • Santos

Walcott yes, the rest no. RVP should stay one more year even if we have to let him on a free. It's not like the money will go towards anyone if we do sell him. Diaby just needs one season free of injuries. I see huge, fucking gigantic waves of potential in him and for that I'd keep him on.

Oh and how did you miss out Almunia lol

Edit:- Sell TV? Jesus Christ chill out lol

Kazzy

No it is just reassuring knowing that we won't do a Leeds ;)

Well I suppose that's true! I can't help but feel like it is accepting that the team has reached its limit though, although the shuffle at the top kind of makes it impossible to circumvent that, well without the necessary sugar-daddy.

I'm torn on Theo, At times he is the most frustrating player you will ever watch yet at others he will have moments of brilliance. I do wish Wenger would play him in a more central role so we could see how he plays in his preferred position.

I agree. Wenger will never sell him though lol

jtb

Banned
Denilson too.I'd rather keep Fabianski and offload Almunia or bring in a new GK and get rid of both.

christ. I forgot Denilson was even still on our books... dear god, please get rid of him too.

Edit: Oh yeah, Almunia too lolol. No summer clearout is big enough for this Arsenal squad.

jtb

Banned
I listed Fabianski because I believe he said he didn't want to be second choice keeper to scezney for both club and country.

Well I suppose that's true! I can't help but feel like it is accepting that the team has reached its limit though, although the shuffle at the top kind of makes it impossible to circumvent that, well without the necessary sugar-daddy.

I think we (Tottenham) have reached our limited. I can't see us challenging for the title the way we tried back in January, which would've been the perfect time to dip into some reserved funds and push on and most likely have finished third. As it stands we are now going into the season without CL football and the likes of Bale and Modric are going to be linked on a daily basis to City/United/Madrid/Barcelona. We could've built upon a 3rd place this season and attracted that special type of player that could potentially win us the title.~

Now we are faced with Europa League again, a competition which we won't take seriously and we could end up not only losing our best players but also fail to attract our transfer targets.

Tonight really did hit us hard and will do for a long time I fear, this could set us back several years.

thanks. we will get over it somehow but it will haunt us for a very long time
It will forever be a regret. A chance to win the European Cup at your home ground...it's just a dream. But then Bayern have come back from this before, 1999 for example.

It's two losses in 3 years in the final, that's tough. But it's the great clubs that come back from that and redeem themselves.

I don't know whether you will understand what I mean when I say this, but ask yourselves, is this Bayern side at it's peak, at it's very top level? Or could it get better. I think it can get much better. You have a core of young players and some clear weaknesses which I assume your management will amend. When a team is at it's peak and loses it's chance at glory that has to be really hard to take. Not saying this isn't a tough loss, it really is...but Bayern will be back and IMO, back stronger than they were tonight.

fuenf

Feel gutted for him. He did everything right and would've become a club legend after saving and scoring that penalty. It's impossible to understand if you didnt follow the whole Neuer-saga at Bayern but if you had asked the die hard / ultra fan in the summer what Neuer would have to do to be loved by the fans, most of them wouldve laughed and said "well maybe i'll like him if he saves and scores a pentaly in the CL final." Seeing him really do it, elevated him to instant-legend status in my mind, only to have it all thrown away. :(

It's fair to say that he had the most pressure riding on hist penalty and he handled it perfectly. I just hope that even last Ultra will now realize that eventhough he's a "Schalker", he's one of the few players that really embodies the "Bayern-magic" of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom