• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

I've got a question to the neutrals that watched the game: what did you think was Bayern's biggest weakness? finishing or creating quality chances?

You have to point the finger at finishing. Gomez was the biggest offender. Unlike him but there you go.

Sappy113

I'm sad because Lahm really deserved to win a CL trophy. All the other core players are very young and still likely to win one.

The dude is 28. Bayern has been in like 4 finals within the last 13 years. He's likely to get at least another shot.

TeegsD

And now onto tomorrow for Sporting - Academica in the Taca de Portugal final. This one will surely be a very entertaining game. Sa Pinto want this and Sa Pinto gets what Sa Pinto wants.

Kazzy

Aye, absolutely, Bayern failed to show the huge nuts it requires to withstand the pressure they had to endure. But on an individual level, Neuer can walk away with his chin held high, so Ramos can probably keep off on his scorn. Kinda makes him come off as an asshole.

There was no surprise in that, Ramos is already an established asshole!

jtb

Banned
He's a full-back (wing-back) so he is very likely to start dropping his level in a year or two.

eh, like you say, the spine of this Bayern team is young. Already been in two finals in three years, can't see Bayern falling off significantly in the near future. I mean, Drogba's 34, Cole's 31, and, besides the odd defensive mishap here and there, they're still strong as ever. Especially in the big games.

He'll get another shot.

fuenf

Finishing, for sure. They had no problem creating opportunities, even had a few gigantic chances. Gomez with a free shot in the box in the 1st. Just poor finishing, always - ALWAYS - comes back to haunt a team that can't put a game away.

You have to point the finger at finishing. Gomez was the biggest offender. Unlike him but there you go.

I've got the feeling that while they had their fair share of chances most of them were pretty crappy. I dont think any of the Gomez chances were "most score opportunities", i think the Olic / DVB one was the only sitter in the game (immediately had flashback to the 1996 Euro semifinal against England, when Gascoine missed (or created?) that you huge chance in overtime and knew that luck wasnt on our side).

rodvik

I've got the feeling that while they had their fair share of chances most of them were pretty crappy. I dont think any of the Gomez chances were "most score opportunities", i think the Olic / DVB one was the only sitter in the game (immediately had flashback to the 1996 Euro semifinal against England, when Gascoine missed (or created?) that you huge chance in overtime and knew that luck wasnt on our side).

True. I dunno Chelsea this season have been able to crush the spirit of some great teams.

What I found odd was Bayern found how to get into Chelsea, they would go out wide then not cross or go to the center but attack right at the hinge of the Chelsea defence. It worked like a treat and gave them chances but still they couldnt put Chelsea down.

Kazzy

Classy Wilshere, classy. Its nice to see the upcoming English talent developing that all important conceitedness, way before they've achieved anything of note.

jtb

Banned
another failure of the match: inverted wingers. Once Bertrand had been named in the starting XI, Ribery and Robben should've at least switched it up once in a while, because the midfield was just so clogged that Robben or Ribery would never get enough space to put in a long range volley... and everyone cutting in probably made it far more difficult for Gomez to take his chances.

fuenf

What I found odd was Bayern found how to get into Chelsea, they would go out wide then not cross or go to the center but attack right at the hinge of the Chelsea defence. It worked like a treat and gave them chances but still they couldnt put Chelsea down.

That's "Robbery" for you, both like to go inside and then it's see what happens. Usually it works out, sometimes it doesnt. :(

Wes

venison crêpe
another failure of the match: inverted wingers. Once Bertrand had been named in the starting XI, Ribery and Robben should've at least switched it up once in a while, because the midfield was just so clogged that Robben or Ribery would never get enough space to put in a long range volley... and everyone cutting in probably made it far more difficult for Gomez to take his chances.

Apart from the goal where Cole didn't defend Muller and just tried to put off Gomez, he had a sotrming game against Robben. Bertrand did his job well too.

jtb

Banned
He's going to contribute a great deal to sports science over the course of his career.

:lol :lol. seriously though, he didn't fuck anyone's wife or anything... it's fucking Twitter

Apart from the goal where Cole didn't defend Muller and just tried to put off Gomez, he had a sotrming game against Robben. Bertrand did his job well too.

As much as it pains me to say it, the c
ole
had a fantastic game. By far Chelsea's best player over the 120 + pens.

Kazzy

Does promise not count for anything these days?
lol
Tottenham have only themselves to blame.

Spurs titanic failure is amusing, but its hardly like Arsenal covered themselves in glory either. I shudder to think how they would (will) fare without RVP.

WTF? The guardian gave robben a 9 for a player rating

all he does is cut in and waste a cross. i don't think he had a decent deal ball all night, either

Hm, Gomez got a 5, which makes me wonder what you have to do to earn a lower rating.

Unusually wasteful and strangely off the pace.

...but that's the Mario we all know and love!

defel

WTF? The guardian gave robben a 9 for a player rating

all he does is cut in and waste a cross. i don't think he had a decent deal ball all night, either

I understand Bayern fans find him frustrating but Im sure every time Robben got on the ball and started running at the defense Chelsea's hearts were in their mouths.

jtb

Banned
Spurs titanic failure is amusing, but its hardly like Arsenal covered themselves in glory either. I shudder to think how they would (will) fare without RVP.

Probably the same as we did with him. See: Fabregas/Nasri (wait, we actually finished a place higher than last season! shame about the qualifying rounds... again. ugh) If anything, RVP going might actually force Wenger to spend some fuckin' money! :D

Great goal, great player.

Congrats, Eva!
pa-12760702.jpg

Probably the same as we did with him. See: Fabregas/Nasri (wait, we actually finished a place higher than last season! shame about the qualifying rounds... again. ugh) If anything, RVP going might actually force Wenger to spend some fuckin' money! :D

We're in the group stage proper btw regardless.

Blackhead

Redarse
5TMyY.png

:/ I really shouldn't feel bad for Spurs—their collapse this season was even worse than Man Utd's—but damn they don't have a sugar daddy like Chelsea (or Man City) and not every player is sailing off to Madrid or Barca.

Salvadora

iirc we don't have qualifying rounds.

jtb

Banned
We're in the group stage proper btw regardless.

Really? I've heard conflicting reports about this.... I really really hope this is true.

on second thought tho, the 8-2 was probably the best thing that happened to Arsenal this season, so I could do with another one of those.
Slightly less humiliating plz.

Actually, Bayern didn't have too many 100% chances (I think Barca had more). And Gomez didn't miss anything like that:

gomezzzzzzhvemx.gif

(notice the godly Klose)

But he still missed a great deal.
And he is the wrong striker for Robbery & without a good 10er. You either have him and two servicing wingers (like Müller), or have someone capable of participating in vertical attacks (like Lewandowski or pretty much any other top striker).

Kazzy

Gomez had enough clear opportunities to finish off the game in fairness, it was over indulgent play on his part, so many unnecessary touches.

5TMyY.png

:/ I really shouldn't feel bad for Spurs—their collapse this season was even worse than Man Utd's—but damn they don't have a sugar daddy like Chelsea (or Man City) and not every player is sailing off to Madrid or Barca.

There is a reason Arsenal and Tottenham aren't going to win anything in the next few years, because both are very well run. As much as I dislike Arsenal, I like them because they are well run and play attractive football.

Pointless being a well run club though when you have oil rich people wanting a hobby.

FFP won't change a damn thing either.

TrueBlue

Wanna firstly send my commiserations to Bayern-GAF and to a lesser extent, Spurs-GAF. Horrible to lose everything on penalties.

But hey, I am a Chelsea fan. To say I'm happy is a massive understatement. The perfect denouement to the last seven years as well as putting the spectre of Moscow to bed. In a daze if I'm honest, ain't sunk in.

spidye

Actually, Bayern didn't have too many 100% chances (I think Barca had more). And Gomez didn't miss anything like that:

gomezzzzzzhvemx.gif

(notice the godly Klose)

But he still missed a great deal.
And he is the wrong striker for Robbery & without a good 10er. You either have him and two servicing wingers (like Müller), or have someone capable of participating in vertical attacks (like Lewandowski or pretty much any other top striker).

GODLY KLOSE

Really? I've heard conflicting reports about this.... I really really hope this is true.

on second thought tho, the 8-2 was probably the best thing that happened to Arsenal this season, so I could do with another one of those.
Slightly less humiliating plz.

Same here, even Arsenal were unsure themselves up to the 15th.

I think it's all based on the Coefficients, so i think two teams in the playoffs get put back into the qualifying rounds and Anderlecht FC now go into the playoff stage, instead of getting into the group stage proper.

Typical Uefa fuckery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom