• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why the comparisons are made seeing as Dalglish took over from Hodgson but not only does this get posted quite a lot here on FootyGaf (how strange..) it's a pointless comparison because the reason Roy was disliked goes deeper than points gained and goals scored.

Hodgson had us in the bottom half of the table and playing a dire brand of football with the likes of Daniel Agger and Lucas on the verge of being shipped out for low fees because they were not rated by Roy (Poulsen and Konchesky were though). Then we had the multiple press conferences were Hodgson would make an absolute fool of himself and fail to back the players - Lot of people remember Hodgson being happy with a defeat at Goodison and that shit quite simply doesn't fly here in Merseyside. The tipping point came when we lost to Wolves at Anfield and looked genuinely clueless for 90% of the game.

Hodgson is a good manager for the smaller clubs (Insert joke about Liverpool being a mid table team here) and that's where he should of stayed. We all know Dalglish hasn't been the success we had hoped in the league but any one of us would take him over Hodgson every single day of the week.

We have Rafa to thank for that.

I realise your defence is much improved under Dalglish (possibly due to Clarke), but can you really say you're happy with the style of football you're playing going forward?

I know my opinion doesn't count because I support the enemy and thus I'm clearly trolling, but I find Liverpool hard to watch because they have a very direct brand of football at the moment. Little happening in open play bar a spark from Suarez. Are you happy for that style of play to continue?

Yen

I realise your defence is much improved under Dalglish (possibly due to Clarke), but can you really say you're happy with the style of football you're playing going forward?

I know my opinion doesn't count because I support the enemy and thus I'm clearly trolling, but I find Liverpool hard to watch because they have a very direct brand of football at the moment. Little happening in open play bar a spark from Suarez. Are you happy for that style of play to continue?
Hogdson had Liverpool playing the worst I'd ever seen Liverpool play, you must remember. That's saying something as Houllier played a 442 with Heskey and Diouf on the wings.
Last season our play was fantastic, this year it's been okay, but anything is a massive step above Woy.

Slizz

Hogdson had Liverpool playing the worst I'd ever seen Liverpool play, you must remember. Last season our play was fantastic, this year it's been okay, but anything is a massive step above Woy.

Yea I'll agree with that. Hogdson ball was unwatchable and last season Kenny had them playing some good ball near the end of the season.

Hogdson had Liverpool playing the worst I'd ever seen Liverpool play, you must remember. Last season our play was fantastic, this year it's been okay, but anything is a massive step above Woy.

I definitely agree your boys were playing some good football at the end of last season - lots of movement from midfield, loads of energy, always closing down. Just all round hard to play against. I wonder what happened to that fluidity though, and that energy. It feels like there's the wrong personnel in place for that style of football you were playing these days, with the loss of Miereles, for example.

It can be very good, or very shite. There's little consistency in our style, one game we'll be moving it at pace around the box, the next we'll be lumping it up to Suarez with nobody within 30 yards of him. Either way we can't score. One things fr sure though, it was much better before Kenny had a chance to make signings who had an influence on our football.

The Sunderland and Bolton matches are probably our most inexcusably poor attacking performances this season.

Carroll/Suarez

Gerrard Henderson

Spearing
Enrique Johnson
Agger Skrtel

Reina

* Choose between Bellamy, Maxi, Suarez, Kuyt and Downing

Cut down on the long balls, get them moving off-the-ball, and that has the makings of a very good attacking team with a very good platform from which to venture forward. Its not brilliant, but its what I'd like to see from the options at our disposal. Replace Spearing with Lucas, and it improves drastically as well

Why doesn't the frmation come out properly?

neoanarch

I wish you Liverpool fans would stop ragging on Hodgson. He has West Brom playing decent football and is in much better form than Liverpool. He was in a similar situation that Kenny is in minus the League Cup and with much less support.

I wish you Liverpool fans would stop ragging on Hodgson. He has West Brom playing decent football and is in much better form than Liverpool. He was in a similar situation that Kenny is in minus the League Cup and with much less support.

I'll rag on him til I die, no matter how well he's doing at West Brom

sixghost

Did anyone watch the Wigan/Norwich game yesterday?

I really wonder why more teams don't acquire the personnel to play 352, or some form of it, against certain teams in the prem. I don't know if there's just some kind of stigma in England that the playing 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks sucks, or is too defensive, or what. Or maybe there just aren't enough CBs that can carry the ball forward and distribute well enough. 352 is pretty much tailor made to beat 442, and considering how many mid-bottom of the table teams still play it, you'd think there'd be at least a few teams trying to exploit that.

Norwich seemed like they played a diamond 442, and scored pretty early on, but after the 20-25 minute mark, Wigan dominated Norwich and probably should have scored a couple more than they did. Wigan's two wingbacks had acres of space just about every time won the ball in there half, and a couple times they just pushed the ball out wide and the WB literally dribbled the ball all the way to the attacking third without being challenged because of how narrow Norwich was.

It kills me that David Moyes hasn't once tried a 352 against teams like Stoke or Wolves since they have 2 great wingbacks Baines and Coleman. Jagielka, Distin and Heitinga seem like they would make a good back three with the speed of Jags and Distin, and the skill of Heitinga.

I know Liverpool have done this a few times this year, but those games(against City I think? And against Chelsea last year) both seemed like that was done to sure up the defense rather than exploit a tactical advantage.

Clubs really wouldn't even have to buy that many additional players, since most fullbacks these days can attack fairly well, and it's not like a ball playing defending can't slot into a back 4.

ShogunX

There is no need for this part of your post. You asked a genuine question so no need to assume people would think you are trolling.

I see others have already answered the question but - For me our football is very inconsistent and it appears the players themselves are not always sure what game plan and style of play we are meant to be using. At times we have played some great pass and move stuff that should of seen us win a lot more games at home, But then we have games like the one against Bolton were we look like shit and start hoofing it up the pitch.

The biggest problem is that last year when Dalglish first came in he restored the simple pass and move game and the likes of Maxi looked a reborn player. Fast forward a few months to the summer and its clear that instead of buying players who fit the pass and move system we are instead trying to impose that system on players who are just not up to it.

It feels like there's the wrong personnel in place for that style of football you were playing these days, with the loss of Miereles, for example.

Bingo.

Kyoufu

Still infuriates me that dropped points vs Wolves and (to a lesser extent) Sunderland have stopped us from taking that sweet 4th spot.

Arsenal are lucky.

Feorax

I think the problem with Liverpool is that the personnel change has happened has all been in one area. If you look at the 6 players that make up our primary defensive unit (Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Lucas), 5 out of the 6 have been playing together for 2 or 3 years. Spearing too has been around for a while, and can slot right in when needed.

Upfront, on the other hand, we have Downing, Adam, Henderson, Suarez, Carroll, Bellamy, Downing, Maxi, Kuyt and Stevie. Only 3 of those 10 have been here longer than 14 months (if you assume Bellamy is essentially coming into a new team), and Carroll & Suarez have both had lengthy bans/injuries.

We need to stop rotating these players an figure out our best 11. We need to stop playing Suarez as our main striker and get him back into a free role where he plays best, and we need to give Carroll much more game time if he is ever to form a partnership with Downing or Suarez, which seemed to be the plan.

Also, no more Hendo on RW plz. He is wasted there.

edit:

Zamparini (Palermo) regrets sacking Pioli: "I'm eating my second testicle, I've already eaten my first..."

Oh my, just read that.
KuGsj.gif

7x3dP.jpg

sixghost

There is no need for this part of your post. You asked a genuine question so no need to assume people would think you are trolling.

I see others have already answered our question but - For me our football is very inconsistent and it appears the players themselves are not always sure what game plan and style of play we are meant to be using. At times we have played some great pass and move stuff that should of seen us win a lot more games at home, But then we have games like the one against Bolton were we look like shit and start hoofing it up the pitch.

The biggest problem is that last year when Dalglish first came in he restored the simple pass and move game and the likes of Maxi looked a reborn player. Fast forward a few months to the summer and its clear that instead of buying players who fit the pass and move system we are instead trying to impose that system on players who are just not up to it.

Bingo.

I don't watch a lot of Liverpool games, but what's happened to all your pace? At the end of last year, and the first month or two of the season, your team was fucking terrifying because of how fast they would move the ball from back to front after winning it in their half. They would make maybe 2-3 quick, controlled passes to get the ball to the middle of the field and everyone wearing red would be in a dead sprint up the field.

It was really impressive to watch but it seems to have left them. It was like watching a bunch of u14s play against a team they knew they were going to crush, literally every player on the field looked like he felt he could score.

immy

Banned
Reading tickets come out today, if Radiohead do headline I'll post a picture of my nipples.

Doubt it though, looks like Foos (meh) Kasabian (yay) and The Cure (depends on what they play). I missed the 8-2 last year, I haven't heard so many people laugh at one time when they announced it.

Missing the game tonight as well, arse friends felt compelled to invite me to Nandos.

Radiohead won't headline

Wilbur

Banned
Radiohead won't headline

I'm pretty sure of that yeah, like I say I'm expecting Cure/Foos/Kasabian. Always a lot of smaller acts to see that are better. Only Pulp and Arcade Fire have lived up to headline billing the last few years.

elseanio

I don't watch a lot of Liverpool games, but what's happened to all your pace? At the end of last year, and the first month or two of the season, your team was fucking terrifying because of how fast they would move the ball from back to front after winning it in their half. They would make maybe 2-3 quick, controlled passes to get the ball to the middle of the field and everyone wearing red would be in a dead sprint up the field.

It was really impressive to watch but it seems to have left them. It was like watching a bunch of u14s play against a team they knew they were going to crush, literally every player on the field looked like he felt he could score.

Lucas was very influential in the middle of the field. If he wasn't breaking up play, he was ALWAYS available for the CBs to pass it out to. He'd play the simple, intelligent ball and we'd be off. Now we have Charlie Adam who has trouble passing it 5 yards let alone his wasteful 40 yarders.

Our whole play has been sluggish lately though. We hardly ever have players steaming into the box anymore. Sometimes none at all. No urgency until the last minutes is frustrating too.

Lucas was very influential in the middle of the field. If he wasn't breaking up play, he was ALWAYS available for the CBs to pass it out to. He'd play the simple, intelligent ball and we'd be off. Now we have Charlie Adam who has trouble passing it 5 yards let alone his wasteful 40 yarders.

Our whole play has been sluggish lately though. We hardly ever have players steaming into the box anymore. Sometimes none at all. No urgency until the last minutes is frustrating too.

If Adam starts tomorrow, it'll confirm that he's Kenny's blindspot, a bit like Kuyt was at points under Rafa

Clegg

I'm pretty sure of that yeah, like I say I'm expecting Cure/Foos/Kasabian. Always a lot of smaller acts to see that are better. Only Pulp and Arcade Fire have lived up to headline billing the last few years.
Kasabian are the perfect festival band imo.

Still not a very good album band though. Great singles but can't sustain the quality over the whole record.

ShogunX

Well a few of the players have been changed and we now no longer seem to support our attacking players. Not sure why this has happened but I can only assume it's because we no longer have much goal threat from midfield and with Lucas being out injured it's forced both Gerrard and Adam into a deeper role were they are not very effective.

Last year the players seemed to be enjoying their football as there was no pressure when Dalglish took over because we were pretty much out of any Champions League race. Watching us now can be painful when somebody like Suarez creates havoc in the opposition box only to have the rest of the players supposedly supporting him watching from outside the box.

We as football fans always think we know best but this one seems so very simple - get more players in the box = A bigger goal threat.

WJD

I went to Leeds 09 with Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon and Radiohead and that was pretty special. Looking to get tickets again tonight and if the rumours of Black Keys supporting Foo's are correct then I'll be pretty chuffed.

dschalter

Well a few of the players have been changed and we now no longer seem to support our attacking players. Not sure why this has happened but I can only assume it's because we no longer have much goal threat from midfield and with Lucas being out injured it's forced both Gerrard and Adam into a deeper role were they are not very effective.

Last year the players seemed to be enjoying their football as there was no pressure when Dalglish took over because we were pretty much out of any Champions League race. Watching us now can be painful when somebody like Suarez creates havoc in the opposition box only to have the rest of the players supposedly supporting him watching from outside the box.

We as football fans always think we know best but this one seems so very simple - get more players in the box = A bigger goal threat.

Getting more players in the box also means also means more goals allowed though. People don't talk about this so much (partly because Dalglish was seen a move in a much more 'positive' direction after Hodgson), but there's a very clear connection between Liverpool's woeful goals for total and their fantastic goals against number- ponderous build-up play and keeping lots of players back is good way to stop both teams from putting the ball in the net.

I went to Leeds 09 with Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon and Radiohead and that was pretty special. Looking to get tickets again tonight and if the rumours of Black Keys supporting Foo's are correct then I'll be pretty chuffed.

I'm seeing Black Keys next week, I'm worried about how they're going to be.

Hixx

City will win the league on goal difference; Blackburn, QPR, Wolves will go down. I have foreseen it.

On the BBC football predictor thing.

sixghost

Does Adam ever play as the regista in your middle 3? If there's any place for him in Liverpool's 11, that's it(at least with Lucas gone). I don't think he's quick or skilled enough to contribute in the final 3rd, and if Liverpool keep playing that 4-1-2-3 they need a different type of player playing in the 2 more advanced CM spots.
Getting more players in the box also means also means more goals allowed though. People don't talk about this so much (partly because Dalglish was seen a move in a much more 'positive' direction after Hodgson), but there's a very clear connection between Liverpool's woeful goals for total and their fantastic goals against number- ponderous build-up play and keeping lots of players back is good way to stop both teams from putting the ball in the net.
Fun fact, Everton and Liverpool are tied for the least total goals per game, both scored and allowed. Both at 56. I think the next closest is like 67 or something.

Wilbur

Banned
Kasabian are the perfect festival band imo.

Still not a very good album band though. Great singles but can't sustain the quality over the whole record.

Completely agree. They're like Muse, I can't stand listening to their stuff on my iPod but I've never seen anyone better live. Seen them 3 times.

Edit: Black Keys are brilliant, El Camino was a great album. I missed out on 09 tickets but have been the last few years and seen Radiohead before so wasn't too fussed. On my list of people I really want to see before I die, I have Dylan, Radiohead, Pulp, Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem scratched off. Blur, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen are ones I have to, bunch of others I want to, and got tickets for ASAP Rocky and SBTRKT this summer.

Erm, football. Six, think it was you who posted about 3-5-2, I love formations with 3 at the back, always a shame to leave out too many midfielders and strikers. Napoli's 3-4-2-1 is so exciting.

Does Adam ever play as the regista in your middle 3? If there's any place for him in Liverpool's 11, that's it(at least with Lucas gone). I don't think he's quick or skilled enough to contribute in the final 3rd, and if Liverpool keep playing that 4-1-2-3 they need a different type of player playing in the 2 more advanced CM spots.

Adam cannot tackle, cannot track, cannot mark, cannot anticipate danger, cannot intellifently find himself a couple of yards of space, cannot help himself from going forward and cannot cover the fullbacks. He's utterly unsuited to the role Lucas plays.

elseanio

Adam is always in a 2 man midfield, with Gerrard or Spearing. He is absolutely terrible at tackling, and lately been very wasteful in possession. I think we are trying to use him as a play-maker, but he just needs to keep it simple. Henderson is the far better advanced midfielder. He is quick and moves the ball much better. I think he'd actually be a great pairing with Lucas once he returns.

I went to a Black Keys gig last year and it was brilliant. At was in a smallish venue so everything was loud and in your face.

All you've done is accentuated my worries. They're playing at an arena venue, and I wasn't a huge fan of their most recent release. I'm only going because my sister really wanted to go, and needed someone to go with. Plus they're originally from this area. I much prefer some of their older stuff to their newer stuff (cliched, I know).

sixghost

Adam cannot tackle, cannot track, cannot mark, cannot anticipate danger, cannot intellifently find himself a couple of yards of space, cannot help himself from going forward and cannot cover the fullbacks. He's utterly unsuited to the role Lucas plays.

They are two different roles that occupy a similar position on the field. I'm talking about a regista like Pirlo, not a ball winner like Lucas. If Adam's strongest attributes are long passes and long shots, it seems like the obvious place to stick him.
Adam is always in a 2 man midfield, with Gerrard or Spearing. He is absolutely terrible at tackling, and lately been very wasteful in possession. I think we are trying to use him as a play-maker, but he just needs to keep it simple. Henderson is the far better advanced midfielder. He is quick and moves the ball much better. I think he'd actually be a great pairing with Lucas once he returns.
Are you sure? Every breakdown I read of Liverpool lately has them playing 4-1-4-1. 3 in the middle with a holding player, two wingers, one forward.

If Liverpool's problem is they can't score, but rarely concede, it would make sense to try and sacrifice some security to be more threatening, especially against the weaker teams.

Feorax

They are two different roles that occupy a similar position on the field. I'm talking about a regista like Pirlo, not a ball winner like Lucas. If Adam's strongest attributes are long passes and long shots, it seems like the obvious place to stick him.

Not that Adam Is anywhere near his level, but sort of like how Xabi Alonso was for us when he played alongside Mascherano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom