• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

lol Does Man City even have a youth league for reserves or they see no point in that as they can just buy any player?

City withdrew their squad from the reserve league in favour of the Next-Gen series. Well we got our arses handed to us in that. I don't think we picked up one point.

But like Manager says, we have a development squad that basically play cup games and that Next-Gen series. Then of course we have the academy and various U18's,17's ETC.

---

Been playing PES this morning.

Champions League alternative theme

I now have that music in my head. I think it's better than the actual official Champions League theme!

elseanio

Cities Academy is top of the district league.

UP6V1.png

Fady K

A Fady post has appeared!

Congrats to the ManU fans here. City have way too many tough games ahead in comparison to United's, game over this season I say - even if City manage to beat United.

I'm all for City beating United for any trophy but let's face it, United are fighting harder for it, and will deserve it in the end obviously. City were so good AFTER they conceded to Swansea. Why? They should have started with a full-on attack from the very first minute. Also, Savic is City's gamebreaker. He literally ruined City's chances of getting a point yesterday.

The Premier League is getting dull these days when United gets yet another trophy, and it is for this reason why I hope to see either a) far stronger opposition in the league who can actually challenge United for a TITLE, and not for three points in one game (like Blackburn) or b) a weaker United in the post-Ferguson era where other teams will have a chance.

Of course if Chelsea was in United's place I would not complain, but obviously as I am not a United fan i'd rather a DIFFERENT team win the league every season than to see the same old, same old. Not to take away from United's achievements year in, year out of course - will always be incredible.

And it's not the just the Premier League that's gone to shit - look at the serie A - what's up JUVENTUS??? Another draw :[!?????? You must feel sorry for these guys when the refs will not even allow them to win THREE points (not giving them an onside goal), ridiculous!

I hope City can fight hard and leave football fans with a surprise in the Premier League for a change.

no I missed it, only caught updates on gamecast. hopefully I can catch a replay later today on FSC. I like what RDM is doing so far though, changing tactics, not afraid to shake the lineups around (Mata on the bench was a bit of a shock). From your description though, us being able to put on an attacking display against a team like Stoke, and their style of play, is a good thing.

It was great for most of the time bro. Ironic that we're attacking more after AVB left, no? He was talking about pushing for attacking football all the time, odd that it happens when he leaves. I wonder if they can keep it up like this under Di Matteo though, would be interesting to end the season on a high note.

Hello you

Where have you been :D I'm already pissing my pants over the next match :[!!

Yup. And so have United. Both teams lost games they should have won. It's going to be a exciting finish.

City HAVE to win against Chelsea, bottom line. Sorry Fady. ;(

All I'll tell you dc is that if you guys beat Chelsea you better go on to win the cup :mad:! I really, reaaally, want to see you guys get it this season - but honestly the team needs to step it up - and so does Mancini with some of his tactics :/ !!

1-0 Messi

untitled-15w6y2w.gif

Sunhi I noticed you watch your matches on Al Jazeera as well, are you Arab by any chance (if you don't mind me asking of course)? I ask because I watch it on Jazeera as well and some of the Arabic commentary is insannnnnnne :D

I love you.

Now I'm going to cheer for Chelsea against Napoli! :p

Yes! Chelsea praise from Yurt :D We are rooting for you too Yurt, just quit drawing already :mad:

Does anybody really think it's over?

All that's changed is United are now favourites where City were beforehand. Both sides will drop a few points yet. What matters quite often is when and how they are dropped.

Looking back on today's game Ashley Young did play well. He's very frustrating but he does create chances and danger when on song. I wish Welbeck would have scored because he played well today, he's going to be a great player for us when he manages to nail down his decision making. It's really useful he can play out wide too, the wings are so so important for us. Nani, Young, Valencia and Giggs have 10, 9, 9,9 assists each to their name from there in the league this season.

Honestly bro I think it is very likely over because City have cooled down and United have heated up in their performances, plus City's upcoming games will be very difficult. United only has two difficult games IMO - and they can definitely win both of them in my eyes. They are simply deadlier, and that is why they will deserve it if they get it. Deadliest teams are where it's at.

City withdrew their squad from the reserve league in favour of the Next-Gen series. Well we got our arses handed to us in that. I don't think we picked up one point.

But like Manager says, we have a development squad that basically play cup games and that Next-Gen series. Then of course we have the academy and various U18's,17's ETC.

It's a shame we had to pull out of that. Only got to watch two of the games, but I enjoyed doing so. They need to relax these regulations a little if they want to make the competition a success. Also, some consistency wouldn't go amiss. Villa broke the rules and I don't think anything was said about that.

Should have received a straight red for going in two-footed. Poor refereeing.

dc89

elsk

Banned
Rutte fired from PSV, crazy competition is crazy, although this was to be expected.

Don't think this will happen.
van Bommel said he would love to retun to PSV, but not if van Gaal is in charge.

I believe the manager is more important than one player, tbh.

Babbel is an asshole and should be banned from manager jobs & instead wipe Ulli Hoeneß' ass..

I think he already wants to leave Hoffenheim, and he's trying to get the Bayern manager job haha. He's very stupid, isn't he?

elsk

Banned
It's a clusterfuck. They have an "Elite Dev Squad" which basically is the U18. Then they also have some kind of reserve team that play some tournaments and an U18 that play other tournaments, which basically consist of the same players.

I'm guessing that Elite Dev Squad are a bunch of young players Man City bought from smaller clubs around the world?

elsk

Banned
That sounds like any major club in the world?

Usually big teams fill their reserves squads with their own young players from the youth academies, you know a process from U-10, U-13, U-15, U-17, etc. And then get 1-3 talented outsiders to join the reserves.

Arjen

I believe the manager is more important than one player, tbh.

I think he already wants to leave Hoffenheim, and he's trying to get the Bayern manager job haha. He's very stupid, isn't he?

Maybe but i think the fans will want van Bommel instead of van Gaal, i imagine they will be pretty pissed of if PSV wil go for van Gaal.

Manager

Manager while you're here, what did you think of Balotelli/Parker?

I've said it before, he has no impulse control on the pitch. It's like he can't stop himself from going mad. I don't think it's something you can train away, that will stay with him forever. Or maybe maturing/finding peace can help, it did to Zlatan (got married & kids).

It's the shit he's doing off-pitch that he can and must stop. On the other hand, most of it seems to be blown out of proportion going by that interview.

I don't think he tried to kill Parker though, I doubt he had any idea how Parker was positioned. But he obviously tried to stomp on him somewhere.

It's a shame we had to pull out of that. Only got to watch two of the games, but I enjoyed doing so. They need to relax these regulations a little if they want to make the competition a success. Also, some consistency wouldn't go amiss. Villa broke the rules and I don't think anything was said about that.

What rule did we break? I didn't follow the Next-Gen that closely, so I'm not sure as to what happened.

Manager

Usually big teams fill their reserves squads with their own young players from the youth academies, you know a process from U-10, U-13, U-15, U-17, etc. And then get 1-3 talented outsiders to join the reserves.

I'm sorry, what? English clubs has stolen Championship/League 1 talents for ages. Leeds has been completely raped since going down. The only difference now from before is that clubs tries to go abroad for talents.

United has done it at least as long as City (Pogba, Macheda, Rafael twins plus many more), Chelsea and obviously Arsenal as well.

What rule did we break? I didn't follow the Next-Gen that closely, so I'm not sure as to what happened.

It's a ridiculous rule, but it's something along the lines of a club being allowed to to field 3 older players born before a certain date (making them 20) but only being allowed to have 2 of them on the pitch at any one time.

I'm sorry, what? English clubs has stolen Championship/League 1 talents for ages. Leeds has been completely raped since going down. The only difference now from before is that clubs tries to go abroad for talents.

United has done it at least as long as City (Pogba, Macheda, Rafael twins plus many more), Chelsea and obviously Arsenal as well.

I wouldn't say Leeds have been raped. They got around £5 million for letting two of their best youth team players go to Chelsea (who failed). They sold Delph for ridiculous money as well.

Kyoufu

I think it'll be a tight nervy game for us

Why do you say that? If you can put 3 past Milan I'm sure you won't fear Newcastle in the slightest. If it was at St. James' Park then sure, but you guys have that home advantage.

edit: lol @ gunnersaurus

edit 2: RVP is just a beast. Nothing can stop that guy.

WJD

Incoming news about le Pog makes me very happy. I reckon he'll really start getting some game time next season; don't think Fergie fancies sending him on loan either though it'd probably do him some good I guess.

All hope for the future is not lost!

Wilbur

Banned
Why do you say that? If you can put 3 past Milan I'm sure you won't fear Newcastle in the slightest. If it was at St. James' Park then sure, but you guys have that home advantage.

But we lost 3-2 to Blackburn, who lost 7-1 to Arsenal, who lost 8-2 to us. Football doesn't work like that haha. I'll go for a narrow arsenal win.

dc89

Ok. Time to play some ME2. I was thinking before, I miss the whole "The Commanding office is ashore, XO Pressly has the deck" from the original game. I dunno, it just made it feel right!

Sunhi I noticed you watch your matches on Al Jazeera as well, are you Arab by any chance (if you don't mind me asking of course)? I ask because I watch it on Jazeera as well and some of the Arabic commentary is insannnnnnne :D

Al Jazeera usually has the best quality and most stable streams most of the time for La liga matches, that and the insane commentary is the main reason I've watched a few matches on that channel.

To answer you question, I'm Indian as you can probably tell from my name :) My family's Hindu, but I don't actually believe in religion so I wouldn't call myself a Hindu.

Incoming news about le Pog makes me very happy. I reckon he'll really start getting some game time next season; don't think Fergie fancies sending him on loan either though it'd probably do him some good I guess.

All hope for the future is not lost!

It's not yet official that he's signed is it? I'll wait for the official confirmation before I believe if.

If he stays he needs to go on loan IMO. Very few players break though at United without that spell away from the club gaining experience. He's fitted in well when he's come on though, passing was very accurate once again yesterday.

In 72 games in the PL against Newcastle at home, we've won 35, drawn 15 and lost 22. In fact the last time we beat you at home was January 2008 and Flamini was amongst the scorers. We have a better record against Spurs than Newcastle

Here's the website I used for fixture history by the way, it's really cool

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/arsenal-fc/newcastle-united/11/

iEZILHTtdYgKW.gif

Nice move from United yesterday. Carrick and Evra's runs at the end are almost identical. Playing football like this is so hard, what Barcelona do is just ridiculous. I wish Evra was more precise with his final ball, he gets into some amazing positions but then never seems to know what to do.

GorillaJu

Phoenix I admire Suso's ability and I think we have one of the best youth set ups in the country, but fast-tracking 17 and 18 year olds to the first team can harm their potential. At that age you're more likely to pick up injuries and they could be debilitating in the long term.

Players like Michael Owen and Cesc Fabregas were immense talents for their respective ages, but they're now riddled with constant injuries because of it. I do not want to see that happen to Suso, Sterling, Morgan, Pelosi, Silva, Nacho, Coady, etc. (we really do have a good handful of promising younguns)

Kyoufu

In 72 games in the PL against Newcastle at home, we've won 35, drawn 15 and lost 22. In fact the last time we beat you at home was January 2008 and Flamini was amongst the scorers. We have a better record against Spurs than Newcastle

Here's the website I used for fixture history by the way, it's really cool

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/arsenal-fc/newcastle-united/11/

Interesting stat. I don't think Arsenal's defence is good enough to keep a clean sheet against the likes of Ba or Cisse but I don't think we have the defence good enough to keep the likes of RVP at bay on their own turf, and sadly I can see RVP tearing us apart very early, much like what Spurs did to us.

Remember this post in 6 hours time

Newcastle 1 (Ben Afra) - Arsenal 0

I really won't be remembering this post in 6 hours time :p

Fuck, why am I so pessimistic? At this point I'm not even a fan.

Kyoufu

Ben Arfa is shit. He has his moments (was good at Sunderland) but he's such a horrible, selfish player that I just facepalm when he takes 900 touches to do something that should have been done 895 touches ago.

I'll be a lot less pessimistic (realistic?) when we get into the Europa cup next season. If we don't even get into that then I'm leaving football for another 10 years.

ShogunX

Just listened to the radio whilst out in the car and they had a dude from Opta on.

City:

Last 11 PL games they have scored 16 goals.
Previous 11 PL Games they scored 34 goals.

Liverpool:

Kenny V Roy - I think this is over a similar period of time, obviously Kenny at Liverpool and Roy at the Baggies.

King Kenny - 54 Points
Roy - 51 points
Baggies have scored more goals.

Obviously the big difference here is Kenny has spent £100m.

I understand why the comparisons are made seeing as Dalglish took over from Hodgson but not only does this get posted quite a lot here on FootyGaf (how strange..) it's a pointless comparison because the reason Roy was disliked goes deeper than points gained and goals scored.

Hodgson had us in the bottom half of the table and playing a dire brand of football with the likes of Daniel Agger and Lucas on the verge of being shipped out for low fees because they were not rated by Roy (Poulsen and Konchesky were though). Then we had the multiple press conferences were Hodgson would make an absolute fool of himself and fail to back the players - Lot of people remember Hodgson being happy with a defeat at Goodison and that shit quite simply doesn't fly here in Merseyside. The tipping point came when we lost to Wolves at Anfield and looked genuinely clueless for 90% of the game.

Hodgson is a good manager for the smaller clubs (Insert joke about Liverpool being a mid table team here) and that's where he should of stayed. We all know Dalglish hasn't been the success we had hoped in the league but any one of us would take him over Hodgson every single day of the week.

Phoenix I admire Suso's ability and I think we have one of the best youth set ups in the country.

We have Rafa to thank for that.

Nice move from United yesterday. Carrick and Evra's runs at the end are almost identical. Playing football like this is so hard, what Barcelona do is just ridiculous. I wish Evra was more precise with his final ball, he gets into some amazing positions but then never seems to know what to do.

We have had an issue with the final ball from Young too. A lot of his attempts get blocked or just are not accurate enough.

Giggs still remains our best final ball guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom