• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

It's likely they would as they are setup to play against opposition who do not pass it around for 90 minutes. It's why Swansea are a breath of fresh air this season with their almost La Liga style of playing. Wasn't long ago that Bilbao played the long ball game but Bielsa has come in and changed they way they play for the better.

I hope City go through and get drawn against Bilbao. That would be a great tie.

i completely forgot about swansea! yes, i agree with you. they're a really wonderful side.

Can't give enough credit to Bilbao, they're superb.

Can we stop talking about which league has better teams now? It's a really boring meaningless conversation with a really obvious answer.

Wilbur

Banned
Think if I ever start to properly put effort in to watching La Liga I might give Bilbao my time, purely because of the enjoyment they're giving me tonight.

I'd love to say bad luck UTD but they just haven't shown up.

You really should; been watching them all season. Give them a season or two with the same coach and players and they should be consistently top 4.

I don't begrudge them the victory at all. They're the most impressive team I've watched in ages. We got played off the park for two matches. I don't really have much to say, I'm just gonna take all the shit you guys say and know its mostly deserved. Need to take stock and look at our approach next season. I sincerely hope Bilbao win it, I'm very proud of them.

kharma45

Hopefully City win now, give them a few extra games.

Bilbao deserved to win that by a far bigger margin, outclassed us by a huge margin.

LegoArmo

Apart from the fact we didn't play against a technically superior team until the final.

That could be it, but the other teams technical ability on the ball shouldn't stop United from creating when they have possesion, can they just not handle being pressed? And if that's the case, why don't the other 19 Premier League teams give that a try?

Defense was a lot more solid last season too, Vidic is a big miss, I guess.

Rad-

Great games by Bilbao. Like I said, I hope they win the competition. It obviously would mean a lot to them and it's always awesome to see such teams win stuff.

This was absolutely not the most painful night in this season's European competitions for us. Awful commentating.

Yeah that was pretty funny.

ElyrionX

Hopefully Ferguson learns something from this. Evidently, nothing was learned from getting outclassed by Barca two seasons in a row.

Moobabe

Conversely how would Spanish teams do in the EPL? Home to City one week, away at Stoke the next, Monday nights at Anfield etc - it's a moot point, and a really strange argument.

sneaky77

1331752874_extras_portada_2.jpg

Also the Bilbao fans are applauding the Man Utd fans. the whole stadium turned in their direction and applauded and chanted United United.

ShogunX

Think that match only magnified the Man Utd midfield problem. Might be good enough to be top of the premiership but it certainly isn't good enough to deal with then different styles in Europe.

I remember Ferguson wanting to close the gap on Barcelona this year but the gap has only grown. No doubt injuries have played some part but even with a full squad I doubt many teams on the continent look at that Midfield and worry.

Ah that's a shame. I'm really not sure what has gone wrong for this side in Europe. Last year's side was very similar but it coped just fine in Europe. Of course we didn't come up against any top opposition (I don't actually think there were any great sides in Europe last year apart from Barca/Real) but this year we've struggled against everybody we've faced. Sides as good as/worse than those we faced comfortably last season.

It's strange and I can't put my finger on quite what's changed. Certainly missing the stability and confidence of VDS and Vidic has been a factor.

I stil don't think our team is quite as bad as many people seem to think it is but we definitely need to invest in CM. That area of our team is just too weak, when pressured it collapses and exposes other areas of the side. In modern football CM is so vital in all aspects of the game and ours isn't good enough.

Edit - As for Bilbao, wow, what a team and what a club. Props.

Clegg

Sack Fergie
Sell Giggs
Buy Bilbao

Seriously though, we need a new approach for European games. The midfield gets broken down and overrun very easily.

The 2 man midfield that we use has been horribly exposed in Europe.

Salazar

I remember Ferguson wanting to close the gap on Barcelona this year but the gap has only grown. No doubt injuries have played some part but even with a full squad I doubt many teams on the continent look at that Midfield and worry.

Yeah. Nani and Valencia wouldn't have hurt, but we would still have been spanked.

There's no way we won't hit the market. Just no chance.

Stubo

Reporting in.

Not much can be said, really...didn't deserve to progress, hat tip to Bilbao. I hope they do well, they seem a much more likeable team than most in Europe.

K1LLER7

That could be it, but the other teams technical ability on the ball shouldn't stop United from creating when they have possesion, can they just not handle being pressed? And if that's the case, why don't the other 19 Premier League teams give that a try?

Defense was a lot more solid last season too, Vidic is a big miss, I guess.

We tend to struggle in general when we play against teams who press, Liverpool tend to press often against united at anfield. Plus most teams in Europe have followed barcas style in pressing higher up and look to keep possession, haven't seen teams in England try to follow suit. United need to change their style, especially if they want to win the CL

confuziz

Banned
You guys know what's funny? If Trabzonspor didn't get pulled out of the Europa League, Bilbao probably wouldn't even be in it, let alone in the quarter final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom