• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

There has been no update on the Clev recently so I'll assume he's still not fully fit.

He turned out for the reserves with Pog and the others, I believe.

If I pass up dinner to stand in a pub and United don't batter Fulham, I will return and vent.

Hixx

The newest edition of RedIssue is causing quite the stir on twitter for it's cover...

ri260.jpg

I think RI had some problems with the police with last months issue too. Not sure why they've done with that cover, I get it (though it seems contrary and in bad taste) but it's needlessly controversial, especially since it has nothing to do with United.

Fergie said Pog's contract talks are positive. Need him to score soon.

Salazar

The newest edition of RedIssue is causing quite the stir on twitter for it's cover...

They're a pack of knobheads. Some of the shit they were saying on twitter in the days after was immensely out of order. That cover must be their way of emphasising that they really don't give a toss.

Edit: Perhaps it was only one bloke, but it was their twitter.

GorillaJu

Henderson is a neat and tidy player but I don't think he's particularly skilful. Technically he's sound, but that's not the same as skillful in the "samba" sense of the word. He's not a great entertainer who gets the crowd on the edge of their seats and frightens opposing defences.

And that's what Liverpool need. They need players with pace who are direct and can take men on, show a few tricks (not neccesarrily but it's a nice bonus). That gives you a big edge in games and Liverpool just don't have enough players like that, just Suarez really.

Also, I do like Henderson, but mental weakness has many a time seen a good player fail to make the grade. I have no idea if that is or will be the case with him but IMO mental deficiency is a bigger worry than any technical short comings.

He's actually quite capable of doing this. Occasionally it shows up.

I don't think he has the swagger to pull it off often. He really needs that extra confidence.

I've been musing the past couple of days, and it'd be interesting to hear your, and other Chelsea fans', take.

I watched Newcastle comfortably beat West Brom and thought - this side were in the Championship 2 years ago - how have they done it? Getting relegated was the best thing that could have happened to Newcastle; staying up simply papered over the cracks - the shock of relegation woke everyone up at the club - and that drove them all, especially Mike Ashley, to push the club in right direction, in the correct way.

What about us though? For me - not qualifying for the Champions League could be the best thing to happen to the club. If we do pip Spurs for fourth, not only will it be undeserved but also it'll be another season of "yeah we managed."

It's the kick we need - not CL football will force our hand as a club - Lampard, Malouda, Essien, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Drogba, Kalou are out the door - and, I'd imagine, for a decent amount of money which we can invest in some younger faces.

But what about the Europa League? It could be a blessing in disguise - we have "fringe" players - Lukaku, McEachran, De Bruyne (next year), Bertrand, Romeu and some very promising youngsters - who aren't getting any football because we're putting faith in an old guard that don't deserve Champions League football. The Europa League allows these guys to play european football against top sides - granted not the top sides, but there are some excellent footballers in that competition. It gives them game time, experience and allows to stake a place for the PL games at the weekend.

We need to have a plan - and we need to miss out on fourth to make the club move forward as we all hope it will - we can't invest hundreds of millions every year, it's not feasible, we have to produce our own players and become self sufficient.
My brother and I were talking about this after the Spurs game at the weekend, and we came to much the same conclusion as yourself. That of course being, there are worse things than a run in the Europa League, it's about all we really deserve, and it would probably do our squad and the club a world of good.

I like your idea that we could use such a competition to field our fringe players and let them gain some much needed experience. I just don't believe it will happen. The reason for that, in my opinion, is that the vast majority of Chelsea fans have this feeling of entitlement, an attitude that I think comes from the owner. I hate this idea that because we've had success in recent years that that's the very minimum we should expect from now on. I also hate when pundits and the like sort of stand up for trigger happy Roman with the excuse of, it's a results business. With Newcastle as your example, like you said, surely they've ultimately benefited from their low points? and look how they're performing in a results business now.

Whilst I wish things were different, you'd think it would take maybe a 5th or 6th place finish and a stint in the Europa League to give this club the kick up the arse it's in dire need of. The problem is Mr. Abramovich doesn't seem to like, or respond well to kicks up the arse. So we'll probably just end up doing what we always do, hire and fire, panic buy and spunk loads of money up the wall. Somehow get to where we want to be and then be back in the same position x amount of years down the line.

KTBFFH

Throwing out the whole of old guard and playing new faces altogether is not the option.

You need to maintain the balance. If you rely on just the youngsters you will have to stay without the UCL football for more than 2 seasons till they get their act together coz Spurs will just get stronger if they make the UCL this year.

Throw out Lamps, Drogba ,Kalou and Malouda. Keep Terry, Cole and Essien to guide the youngsters.

Or just appoint Terry as the manager , coz no matter what others think, Chelsea, more importantly Abrahmovich, believe the club cannot move forward without Terry. Thats why they dumped AVB when he stood against him.
Wonderful speculation at its best that I assumed GAF posters were above. I think nearly every Chelsea fan I've spoken to, based on what we could see on the pitch and how Terry and AVB acted toward each other, which is more than what your comment is based on, was that Terry actually got on well with AVB. If it was the players that got AVB ousted it was more than likely spearheaded by Lampard, the man who lets not forget, openly spoke of their poor relationship.

Carbonox

So what are people's thoughts on the race for 5th/6th/7th? I think the top 4 could be a done deal (Spurs are going through a rough patch but I fully expect them to get back to winning ways).

Newcastle

Newcastle v Liverpool
Swansea v Newcastle
Newcastle v Bolton
Newcastle v Stoke
Wigan v Newcastle
Newcastle v Man City
Everton v Newcastle

Newcastle v Chelsea currently awaiting date

Chelsea

Aston Villa v Chelsea
Chelsea v Wigan
Fulham v Chelsea
Arsenal v Chelsea
Chelsea v QPR
Liverpool v Chelsea
Chelsea v Blackburn

Liverpool

Newcastle v Liverpool
Liverpool v Aston Villa
Blackburn v Liverpool
Liverpool v West Brom
Norwich v Liverpool
Liverpool v Chelsea
Swansea v Liverpool

Liverpool v Fulham currently awaiting date

Tough ties against top 6/7 teams

Newcastle v Liverpool
Newcastle v Man City
Newcastle v Chelsea

Chelsea v Arsenal
Chelsea v Liverpool
Chelsea v Newcastle

Liverpool v Newcastle
Liverpool v Chelsea

Potentially jammy ties

Newcastle v Swansea (at Swansea)
Newcastle v Stoke
Newcastle v Everton

Chelsea v Fulham

Liverpool v West Brom
Liverpool v Norwich
Liverpool v Swansea
Liverpool v Fulham

On paper, Chelsea have the easiest run I think, though they do have Champions League games thrown in too, but otherwise it's very tight. Newcastle need to beat Liverpool to really free ourselves up for 6th at least. Liverpool could easily get overcome by West Brom, Norwich, Swansea and Fulham, IMO. Plus they still have the FA Cup to wear themselves out, especially against Sunderland.

Wilbur

Banned
Chelsea will get fifth, their goal difference is far superior to Newcastle as well so I'd say they'll get it by three points or so. Newcastle sixth which is a fucking brilliant season for them, and while I'd love to see Sunderland and Everton finish above Liverpool I can't see the bad run going on for too long. Seventh for them.

Hey another offtopic question, who gives a shit now we're in community, but how's the weather in Italy at the moment? Will be staying in Rome next week and the weather is bloody good here in Holland. T-shirt + shorts weather surely?

pappe

Wonderful speculation at its best that I assumed GAF posters were above. I think nearly every Chelsea fan I've spoken to, based on what we could see on the pitch and how Terry and AVB acted toward each other, which is more than what your comment is based on, was that Terry actually got on well with AVB. If it was the players that got AVB ousted it was more than likely spearheaded by Lampard, the man who lets not forget, openly spoke of their poor relationship.

K maybe i am wrong about Terry having bad relationship with AVB, but it is quite obvious Terry IS the most important figure at that club. He has players who listen to him, motivates them and the fans like him a lot too and recently he has been managing the team moreso than RDM.

What would Chelsea fans feel if Terry did indeed take over as manager?

Kyoufu

Looking at Ben Arfa's stats, he's scored or assisted in 11 goals in 18 appearances in the league. That's a pretty damn good statistic for him. Really happy with that. I think he's now our top assist player. He was on another level against West Brom.

Ben Arfa was so damn impressive yesterday. Really shot into my good books.

He's that sort of talent I hope we nurture for seasons to come.

I'm actually surprised Wenger didn't snap him up.

K maybe i am wrong about Terry having bad relationship with AVB, but it is quite obvious Terry IS the most important figure at that club. He has players who listen to him, motivates them and the fans like him a lot too and recently he has been managing the team moreso than RDM.

What would Chelsea fans feel if Terry did indeed take over as manager?
That's another nonsense comment. I understand when people makes jokes about it, but if you actually believe that "he has been managing the team moreso that RDM" because he cheered on from the sideline once, then you're daft.

We wont need to worry about that because JT wont be taking over. However, if in years to come he went in to coaching and came back to manage Chelsea, I'd be fine with that.

Clegg

Red Issue is a pretty poor fanzine anyway.

Their issue in February had the KKK veil in reference to Suarez.

United We Stand is much better.

TeegsD

Just saw that if Braga win their game today, then they will go to the top of the table and lead Porto by 1 and Benfica by 2. It would be nice if Braga could pull off winning the league but I don't see them sticking too long at the top. Also they have to beat Academica today and those guys have been pretty decent this year against top teams.

Labadal

So what are people's thoughts on the race for 5th/6th/7th? I think the top 4 could be a done deal (Spurs are going through a rough patch but I fully expect them to get back to winning ways).

Bolded = Win
Underlined = Draw

Newcastle

Newcastle v Liverpool
Swansea v Newcastle
Newcastle v Bolton
Newcastle v Stoke
Wigan v Newcastle
Newcastle v Man City
Everton v Newcastle

Chelsea

Aston Villa v Chelsea
Chelsea v Wigan
Fulham v Chelsea
Arsenal v Chelsea
Chelsea v QPR
Liverpool v Chelsea
Chelsea v Blackburn

Liverpool

Newcastle v Liverpool
Liverpool v Aston Villa
Blackburn v Liverpool
Liverpool v West Brom
Norwich v Liverpool
Liverpool v Chelsea
Swansea v Liverpool

Liverpool v Fulham currently awaiting date

Tough ties against top 6/7 teams

Newcastle v Liverpool
Newcastle v Man City
Newcastle v Chelsea

Chelsea v Arsenal
Chelsea v Liverpool
Chelsea v Newcastle

Liverpool v Newcastle
Liverpool v Chelsea

Potentially jammy ties

Newcastle v Swansea (at Swansea)
Newcastle v Stoke
Newcastle v Everton

Chelsea v Fulham

Liverpool v West Brom
Liverpool v Norwich
Liverpool v Swansea
Liverpool v Fulham

On paper, Chelsea have the easiest run I think, though they do have Champions League games thrown in too, but otherwise it's very tight. Newcastle need to beat Liverpool to really free ourselves up for 6th at least. Liverpool could easily get overcome by West Brom, Norwich, Swansea and Fulham, IMO. Plus they still have the FA Cup to wear themselves out, especially against Sunderland.

I'm not very optimistic about us getting 5th or 6th. We might not even finish 7th.

Wilbur

Banned
Holy shit, Sun Supergoals's stats on the Pool - Wigan match is crazy! I didn't get round to seeing MOTD but Pool had 6 shots to 17, and only 38% possession?

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
So, I know quite a few of you are Arsenal fans, so please forgive me for once again sharing my most recent article:

A Note on Arsenal

This goes into Wenger's minor tactical changes (essentially since the Milan trouncing) that have paid dividends. Walcott features heavily.

Labadal

Holy shit, Sun Supergoals's stats on the Pool - Wigan match is crazy! I didn't get round to seeing MOTD but Pool had 6 shots to 17, and only 38% possession?

We were so bad, I wanted to punch the TV several times during the game. We're getting worse with each game. I really don't care what anyone else says, but I don't just blame the players. The tactics we are using... fuck it, I don't know how Kenny wants to play. It pains me that he's afraid of trying something new.

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
Cheers. United can neutralise him there, though, because Patrice Evra (fuck fuck FUCK) isn't really a LB.

I'm not entirely sure about that. He's essentially playing on the shoulder of the left-sided center back more often than not. It'll be interesting to see next season though.

dc89

Manchester City are set to beat title rivals United to the €30 million (£25m) signing of Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez this summer.

Goal.com understands that City boss Roberto Mancini has sent scouts to watch the former Osasuna man, who can also play at centre-back, a number of times this year as the Italian looks to shore up his squad ahead of next season’s Champions League campaign.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/0...ed-in-race-to-sign-25m-spanish-international/

Goal.com though :/

But still...

Roberot-Mancini.jpg

Clegg

I doubt Madrid would sell Ronaldo and Higuain, especially for £80m.

Thats the price they paid for Ronaldo 3 years ago, so they'd be looking for an extra £25-30m on top of that

Of course the story is a load of rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom