• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
1) No idea, you never comment on BL so I assume you don't care.
2) I'm not saying it's his fault, he probably operated to the best of his abilities at this age. The fact that he's the keeper at a semi-top team is embracing though.

I never said I was, however I am probably more able to compare both of them them then you are. Same goes for elsk and he supports my assumption. Sveitadurgur supports the wrong team so his opinion should be disregarded.

Neuer also had some fine saves in that game. He became inconsistent when he went to Bayern. Dunno why.
So it could just be inconsistency in that one goalkeeper? That's just an odd thing to say that 9 goalkeepers in your league would make arch better fist of saving that shot. It disregards any goals that they've let in because I could easily say Paddy Kenny would save any one of them

If Spurs had tried to play it on the ground in the final third, they miht have done better.

Lumping it to Ade and Saha was an ok plan, but it failed.

Pretty much every time we knocked it long we retained the ball. A bit naive to say it failed just because we lost.

Salazar

Pretty much every time we knocked it long we retained the ball. A bit naive to say it failed just because we lost.

You definitely retained the ball. Did an splendid job of that. But then what. Players at a standing start, in a ruck that has formed while the ball was travelling. Lennon did a number on Evra and Young a few times, and BAE did over Jones. But the focus remained on the thing that wasn't working.

Kyoufu

AnKVPEoCEAMnlSA.jpg

elsk

Banned
So it could just be inconsistency in that one goalkeeper? That's just an odd thing to say that 9 goalkeepers in your league would make arch better fist of saving that shot. It disregards any goals that they've let in because I could easily say Paddy Kenny would save any one of them

There are too many great german GK right now. Neuer, Leno, ter Stegen, Trapp, Zieler, Ulreich... anyone of them could play in any top team or in the German NT. Leverkusen is even selling Adler (Manchester was interested, before he got injured) to HSV, because Leno is doing so great.

Leno is 19 years old, and already better than De Gea.

I said they'd probably, likely make the save. But anyways, there's no way to settle this so who cares.
It's just weird to see people mesmerized by some of those distance goals, because if you regularly follow BL you basically go: meh, that'd never be let in here..

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We played so well today but as I feared, we got complacent again and switched off. A top team should not concede goals like the first two we conceded today, it was shameful stuff from Walker and Modric. Still, a bad result I can accept if the performance is good, and it was. United were terrible in the first half and barely any better in the second, they were there for the taking today. We left the door open and they barged their way through, fair play to them, that's what title-winners do. I hope they win the title and I hope we can finish 3rd and try to win the cup.

One thing Spurs have to do is improve our corners/free kicks. They are the worst in the league, we never do anything with them and that is potential chances being thrown away.

ShogunX

Thought you played well today in patches but as usual with Spurs a lapse of concentration at the back ends up costing you. Don't think anyone can deny how well you have done this season but it always seem like Spurs are a goal or two away from a collapse. Really strange and its something you will have to cut out if you want to go far in the CL again.

United won today because we switched off defensively three times. Admittedly the third was a great strike by Young, but he shouldn't be allowed to shoot from there. What actual chances were there apart from those?

There was very little of the game that we didn't control. Those three moments were key.

The fact that we can control the game without three of our best midfielders is encouraging though.

Wilbur

Banned
There are too many great german GK right now. Neuer, Leno, ter Stegen, Trapp, Zieler, Ulreich... anyone of them could play in any top team or in the German NT. Leverkusen is even selling Adler (Manchester was interested, before he got injured) to HSV, because Leno is doing so great.

Leno is 19 years old, and already better than De Gea.

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of great goalkeepers, but to go 'oh well half the keepers in this league would have saved every long range shot' is just odd.

I said they'd probably, likely make the save. But anyways, there's no way to settle this so who cares.
It's just weird to see people mesmerized by some of those distance goals, because if you regularly follow BL you basically go: meh, that'd never be let in here..

Yeah that's true, looking at Neuer's goalkeeping yesterday I understand what goals do go in.

rodvik

Thought you played well today in patches but as usual with Spurs a lapse of concentration at the back ends up costing you. Don't think anyone can deny how well you have done this season but it always seem like Spurs are a goal or two away from a collapse. Really strange and its something you will have to cut out if you want to go far in the CL again.

Yeah its odd. For a team that can play so well Spurs morale seems very brittle. You could see the teams just deflate after the second goal.

Strange because they were bossing it in the first half.

You definitely retained the ball. Did an splendid job of that. But then what. Players at a standing start, in a ruck that has formed while the ball was travelling. Lennon did a number on Evra and Young a few times, and BAE did over Jones. But the focus remained on the thing that wasn't working.

That wasn't 'the plan' anyway. There were a lot more short passes than long ones. Whenever we played it long we kept the ball. There was no reason not to when they could drop into that space between the defence and the midfield and pick up the ball pretty easily. It was an outlet, not a plan of attack.

elsk

Banned
I'm not saying there isn't a lot of great goalkeepers, but to go 'oh well half the keepers in this league would have saved every long range shot' is just odd.

Well yeah, you can't be sure about that but for example: Robben. You all know how great his long shots are, you can watch the past 3-4 matches of Bayern and see how many shots he got that were 99% goal but the keepers always make an incredible stop.

He usually make awesome long shots in CL, not in the Bundesliga. Maybe is related to the GK quality, who knows.

Salazar

That wasn't 'the plan' anyway. There were a lot more short passes than long ones. Whenever we played it long we kept the ball. There was no reason not to when they could drop into that space between the defence and the midfield and pick up the ball pretty easily. It was an outlet, not a plan of attack.

There are always more short passes, unless you are a Pulis team. I agree that it was an efficient way to get the ball into that area, but the defence sets up against it - against what happens next. Even one as nervous as ours. Whereas getting at our sides on the ground is deadly.

Because Young is not good at covering, Evra retreats to no mans land, Jones can be got around without too much hassle.

Yeah its odd. For a team that can play so well Spurs morale seems very brittle. You could see the teams just deflate after the second goal.

Strange because they were bossing it in the first half.

I didn't see that at all. We controlled it at 0-0, 1-0 and 2-0. It was after the third goal went in that United has a lot more of the ball.

I don't think it's anything to do with morale either. It's a very selective memory that looks at our last two games and makes that conclusion. Arsenal was just a poor performance, and today defensive errors cost us the game.

Wilbur

Banned

Like Neuer's goalkeeping LOL
also 95% of PL goalkeepers, i love you really

Well yeah, you can't be sure about that but for example: Robben. You all know how great his long shots are, you can watch the past 3-4 matches or Bayern and see how many shots he got that were 99% goal but the keepers always make an incredible stop.

He usually make awesome long shots in CL, not in the Bundesliga. Maybe is related to the GK quality, who knows.

Maybe he doesn't strike them hard enough because when he kicks it he can feel the toothpick holding his shin together wobble

There are always more short passes, unless you are a Pulis team. I agree that it was an efficient way to get the ball into that area, but the defence sets up against it - against what happens next. Even one as nervous as ours. Whereas getting at our sides on the ground is deadly.

I disagree. We didn't lose possession too often that way, which suggests you weren't set up for what happened next. It wasn't a method of creating chances anyway. It was an easy way of getting possession further up the pitch.

rodvik

I didn't see that at all. We controlled it at 0-0, 1-0 and 2-0. It was after the third goal went in that United has a lot more of the ball.

I don't think it's anything to do with morale either. It's a very selective memory that looks at our last two games and makes that conclusion. Arsenal was just a poor performance, and today defensive errors cost us the game.

I think you are being too hard on your defence. After Youngs second goal Young at the the other end gifted (lennon?) an exact same opportunity and yet didnt pull the trigger.

What I saw was a team who had that same sinking feeling many of us watching did that ManU were going to win a game they were laying second best in. They lost their flow right after the second.

I think you are being too hard on your defence. After Youngs second goal Young at the the other end gifted (lennon?) an exact same opportunity and yet didnt pull the trigger.

What I saw was a team who had that same sinking feeling many of us watching did that ManU were going to win a game they were laying second best in. They lost their flow right after the second.

That's more on United than us. Too hard on our defence? Maybe. They played really well outside of those moments. I don't remember the moment with Lennon, but if he didn't pull the trigger from that range it's because he can't score goals from that far out.

Interesting the Neville thought we were unlucky not to be given the first goal. I'm not going to complain about the letter of the law, but it's yet another big decision we don't get against United.

Salazar

I disagree. We didn't lose possession too often that way, which suggests you weren't set up for what happened next. It wasn't a method of creating chances anyway. It was an easy way of getting possession further up the pitch.

I know you didn't lose possession. It just seemed to sacrifice a preferable means of getting at us. I think Spurs played alright, and we were pretty awful, but going forward Spurs didn't actually threaten anywhere near as much as all that possession warranted.

Rio and Evans were alright, considering Ade is a handful and Saha wasn't crap.

Wilbur

Banned
Wait, I've just caught up. Roman thinks Pep will go Chelsea?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't think he'll leave. At all. But if he did, I can't see him working under Abramovich.

Like Neuer's goalkeeping LOL
also 95% of PL goalkeepers, i love you really

Maybe he doesn't strike them hard enough because when he kicks it he can feel the toothpick holding his shin together wobble
Neuer is just one keeper of some 9 other I named here, but since you don't follow the BL and probably only saw him in CL game when he played for a pos team with a shitty defense and maybe also after he transfered to Bayern and lost his form, you simply wouldn't know..
He's not even top tier in the Bundesliga at the moment:
(Kicker.de - best keeper of the season ranking)
yCOxO.png

I know you didn't lose possession. It just seemed to sacrifice a preferable means of getting at us. I think Spurs played alright, and we were pretty awful, but going forward Spurs didn't actually threaten anywhere near as much as all that possession warranted.

Because there was only one real attacking player in our midfield. VDV and Bale create chances. Sandro and Livermore don't.

Kyoufu

KuGsj.gif

Is that the best you have? Even Pardew has admitted he is embarrassed by it.

Best what? I think it's nice to see a manager put emotion into a derby. MON and AP probably had drinks after the game.

Though 2 red cards and a million yellows for both sides is shite. I don't want to see any of that.

Wait, I've just caught up. Roman thinks Pep will go Chelsea?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't think he'll leave. At all. But if he did, I can't see him working under Abramovich.

Really, why would any top level manager even want to work for Chelsea? It certainly won't be about the money or severance for the ones that Abramovich is looking for. You'll come into the same whirlpool that AVB got consumed by, unless you demand that you get to offload ALL of the old guard in the summer transfer window and declare the current season as a wash. Which I don't think Abra would agree to at all -- that guy probably thinks they can still win the Champs League at this point.

Also, double-serious LOL at the fact that Abra is even dreaming of Guardiola coming to Chelsea. I think Pep would rather retire or go to Qatar than come to Chelsea to be humiliated and shit all over his winning legacy at Barca.

Wilbur

Banned
Neuer is just one keeper of some 9 other I named here, but since you don't follow the BL and probably only saw him in CL game when he played for a pos team with a shitty defense and maybe also after he transfered to Bayern and lost his form, you simply wouldn't know..
He's not even top tier in the Bundesliga at the moment:
(Kicker.de - best keeper of the season ranking)
yCOxO.png
Okay erm.

A) I was joking hence the LOL
B) I've watched plenty of BL matches this season to know there is a lot of good goalkeepers
C) my problem was with you saying that those shots never go in and Premier League goalkeepers suck. Goals that BL keepers let in aren't exclusive to them, they don't just suck because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom