• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobano

Neo Member
WTF is going on in this thread.

Looking forward to the game tonight, although as an Arsenal fan I have 0 faith in a comeback I still hope for one and that at least we'll win the game tonight. I just hope the guys give it everything they've got, mad pressure and a mad offensive. Cause if they don't we might as well just put a reserve team on that pitch. Just show some heart and the fans will be happy.

Arnie

Most people from Leyland look like that.

Going to play a 6 a side footy tournament for a Christian Union. I'm an atheist myself but I can't say no to a free pitch for me and my mates. Might score an own goal to spite god.

K1LLER7

Most people from Leyland look like that.

Going to play a 6 a side footy tournament for a Christian Union. I'm an atheist myself but I can't say no to a free pitch for me and my mates. Might score an own goal to spite god.

and then celebrate like this...

ist4rqKD1WXnr.gif

dc89

This years Champions League round of 16 has been a joke. Has it been played over something stupid like 8 weeks?

Totally waters down the competition and by the time you've factored the time between the ties it's like 2 different teams lining up with injuries and form.

Edit: well not 8. 5 actually. But you see my point.

This years Champions League round of 16 has been a joke. Has it been played over something stupid like 8 weeks?

Totally waters down the competition and by the time you've factored the time between the ties it's like 2 different teams lining up with injuries and form.

Edit: well not 8. 5 actually. But you see my point.

Exactly.

Should be like the EUROPA League. Competition of true champions.

bjaelke

"I think they will probably keep with the policy of staying foreign, I really do," Glenn Hoddle said.

"If they were prepared to look for an English manager, I would love to go back there. I really must say that.

A guy that actually wants to manage Chelsea? They can't say no to that.

Carbonox

Hughton has proven to be a bit of a bogey man for Chelsea it seems. While he was in charge at Newcastle, we beat them 4-3 in the cup and drew 1-1 in the league (IIRC). Then Pardew took over for the 2-2 at the end of last season.

A 1-1 in the cup this season while he's at Birmingham too, and I think Birmingham are in with a shot of going through.

I still miss the guy. :(

K1LLER7

"I think they will probably keep with the policy of staying foreign, I really do," Glenn Hoddle said.

"If they were prepared to look for an English manager, I would love to go back there. I really must say that.

A guy that actually wants to manage Chelsea? They can't say no to that.

work 7 months get paid £9m, why not? he's not been on sky for a while, maybe he needs the money.

Well like I said the only people I know who rate Nani are United fans that I deal with, whether they are friends, family or clients. No one else is really impressed by him whether they are Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa or whatever other team they are a fan of. Also I wasn't around Football Gaf a couple of years ago.
That's fine, but then you probably shouldn't base the opinion you opinion of a whole fanbase simply on who you know. I know Liverpool fans who think Charlie Adam is brilliant...that's not the same as saying "Liverpool fans think Charlie Adam is amazing" (which I know you would never agree with haha). Plus, as I said, on here at least, we have a go at enough of our players. You don't got to like or be nice to United fans...but at least be fair. It's obviously just stupid to say United fans big up all of their players.

Anyway, FWIW, I'm disappointed in Nani this season. Last season he was so good, something like 15 goals and 20 assists, easily our best player. He's still on a good return so far this season, 10 goals/10 assists or something until now. Should be doing better though. He's definitely the most technically gifted player at United, great pace, control and two great feet. He's gone off the boil lately and being shifted out to the left doesn't help because he is far far better on the right side. However, we're lucky to have a few good wide options and as Valencia is solely a right sided player, Nani is a victim of his own versatility. It definitely impacts upon on his performance significantly. Long term I wonder how we will deal with it. Either Nani will need to try and improve on that left side (where he is still better than Young IMO) or we will never be able to get the best out of Nani and Valencia both at the same time. Which is a shame. Nani and Valencia on form together would be bad news for any defence.

IMO the best winger in the league is Valencia. Bale and Nani are better players on their day but are still a little inconsistent.

Manager

Tevez will start tonight - MCFC.co.uk

Worlds greatest website or worlds greatest website?

Can't wait to see more of Rekik, next season I guess. What a promising player.

Sad to see so little of Suarez though. I remember talks of him being promised chances in the senior team this year, the reason why he chose City according to press. He has been nowhere close except for a cup game. Still young, I just hope he isn't angry. Said to be one of the most promising talents in the world, now he's 18 and nowhere near.

Nani has been inconsistent this season mainly through injury disrupting his form. It's easy to forget how good he was last season, providing the most assists (18) in the PL. Look at how long it took for Valencia to get fully revitalized after breaking his leg; after a tepid return at the tail-end of last season, he was pretty impressive again in recent months. They'd always be first choice as starting wingers if fit and in decent form.

However, I do harbour some growing, begrudging respect for Ashley Young. He's appeared nervous on the ball and prone to one dimensional decision-making - instead of grooming the unpredictability of both beating his man on the outside and cutting inside, he's forever doing the latter or dallying until Evra comes by. (I know, Valencia is almost entirely one dimensional, too, except he's super effective at it.) But, on the other hand, he's been decent tracking back, shown scraps of intelligence in his movement, got a good shot in him, and been valuable with his set-piece taking. That last point, especially, has merit: more and more, games are being cancelled out by defences, and set pieces are increasingly vital. It'll be interesting to see if his form continues to improve.

Nani has been inconsistent this season mainly through injury disrupting his form. It's easy to forget how good he was last season, providing the most assists (18) in the PL. Look at how long it took for Valencia to get fully revitalized after breaking his leg; after a tepid return at the tail-end of last season, he was pretty impressive again in recent months. They'd always be first choice as starting wingers if fit and in decent form.

However, I do harbour some growing, begrudging respect for Ashley Young. He's appeared nervous on the ball and prone to one dimensional decision-making - instead of grooming the unpredictability of both beating his man on the outside and cutting inside, he's forever doing the latter or dallying until Evra comes by. (I know, Valencia is almost entirely one dimensional, too, except he's super effective at it.) But, on the other hand, he's been decent tracking back, shown scraps of intelligence in his movement, got a good shot in him, and been valuable with his set-piece taking. That last point, especially, has merit: more and more, games are being cancelled out by defences, and set pieces are increasingly vital. It'll be interesting to see if his form continues to improve.

Interestingly enough, that was something he did last year with Villa that we hated. He was terrible at set-pieces. Never on target. It is nice to see that he got the proper guidance, most likely someone telling him to fix his shit, once he got a red kit.

Bo-Locks

I still find it funny that two of Young's assists this season have been literally putting his foot on the ball to stop it for Rooney.

The one criticism I have of Valencia is that he doesn't get enough goals. Ashley young does get them, however. I think all of United's wingers have their minor faults, but collectively Young, Valencia and Nani (with Welbeck, Park and Giggs able to play there) give us the best group of wingers in the league.

I'm predicting a Chelsea 3-0 win where the players all of a sudden start to play again and it honestly has nothing to do with the fact they were under performing for their old manager.

Although supposedly the players don't care much for RDM either... great.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Arsenal line up released yet?

Wenger says he's going to play 4 strikers because they have hardly and CMs available. If RVP gets injured in this game it's going to be hilarious. You'd have thought Wenger would have learned from playing Santos in that dead rubber against Olypmiakos only to have him do his ankle for 5 months.

Scum

So, Arsenal might line up in a 4-2-4 tonight then, huh. Good luck. I wish 'em all the best. Oh, and Pep, you'd be a fool to take the job at Chelsea. Don't do it.

Bo-Locks

Abramovic should just buy Hiddink out of Anzhi. He's the only manager since Mourinho that the players have any semblance of respect for.

Chelsea players should be banned from the England squad until further notice.

Sleepy

So, Arsenal might line up in a 4-2-4 tonight then, huh. Good luck. I wish 'em all the best. Oh, and Pep, you'd be a fool to take the job at Chelsea. Don't do it.

Probably the only thing he can do. Go for broke...
and lose anyway

Manager

Well in actual fact he's an incredible striker. Just not at the moment.

How long can this be said? A popular theory is that his knees have given up on him, starting to believe that more.

He's been bad for 1½ year now right? Half a year in Liverpool and one year in Chelsea?

edit
Wrong of me, 9 goals in 22 for Liverpool that fall. Not as good as his 18 in 20 season before though.

Feorax

How long can this be said? A popular theory is that his knees have given up on him, starting to believe that more.

He's been bad for 1½ year now right? Half a year in Liverpool and one year in Chelsea?

There were rumours around the time he signed for Chelsea that our backroom staff were stunned he managed to pass his medical there.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"Teams due in 30 mins. I'm told Rosický and Gibbs fit. Chamberlain will play central in 4-1-2-3"

This is going to be one of the funniest games of the season. I expect Arsenal will score a few but Ibra has been in full-on troll mode recently, I expect he will make them look stupid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom