• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
Barca advancing is a good omen for us tomorrow. Still not entirely comfortable, but you know the powers that be can't wait for this clash in the semi's. I can see a 1-1 finish tomorrow with us going through.

Mata giving tickets away on Twitter. What a guy!
scaled.php

FuturusX

Sorry Chelsea fans, but your team are pretty average this season. I can't get behind an average team in the CL final, they'll just provide easy fodder for Bayern or Real.

Barca vs Real / Bayern is the final we need.

Bayern have the tools (Robbery) to do it.

Carbonox

Would love to see Bayern v Barca in the final. Definitely be rooting for Bayern then. Well, I'd be rooting for anyone other than Barca in the final. :p I want to see someone new win the trophy.

FootballFan

*sigh* onto the semi's lol more of the same.
Chelsea should be tough but I expect to make it past them.
I don't know if I will visit this thread during the Chelsea games lol. Probably will get crazy in here.

Madrid 6 - 0 APOEL
Chelsea 2 - 0 Benfica.

Semis should be damn good.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Just for the record, there's been absolutely no compelling argument against it. I'm actually interested in hearing one. The referee clearly thought the ball was in play when a foul was committed.

Not sure why Nesta decided to hold his man in the box, always leaving himself open for the call, with that one.

Nesta put his team on the back foot there.

why do you ignore the fact that puyol was fouling nesta at the exact same time? just curious.

FootballFan

Just woke up from my op and I'm feeling groggy as fuck. How was the football, fellas?

Same shit. Barca getting every call and winning 3-1. 2 Messi Penalties and 1 lucky bounce to Iniesta. Was average game. This thread was much more exciting than the game.
edit: so if you can bother go back and read

okay i have cooled down. thoughts:

we need to stop playing with nesta, ambro, and seedorf. they are too slow and can't keep up at this level anymore. seedorf is invisible, nesta and ambro commit way too many reckless tackles because they can't keep up. we can play with maybe ONE of them (nesta) if we compensate with speed (thiago silva.) but today was just a disaster with mexes+nesta with ambro in front of them. probably the slowest defense/midfield in the entire CL.

we are never going to compete with barca/madrid if we play these old slow guys. all of their contracts are up this summer, we should either keep them in a backup/mentor role or just let them go. starting the game with three 35 year olds against a team comprised of extremely quick midgets was always going to be a disaster. hopefully berlusconi/galliani realize this. however, knowing berlu, he will blame max for subbing off seedorf.

also, pato is ridiculous. if he is broken, we should get rid of him, sorry to say. he can't play more than a game without getting injured this season, it is absurd. and robinho is simply not good enough for this level. hopefully with cassano back next week our strike partnership will begin to click again.

barca is superior to us, i wouldn't have minded losing fairly without referee help. oh well, it is what it is. hopefully now we can focus on the scudetto.
The sad thing is that we won't let go so many players this summer: if we're lucky, we won't see Nesta and Seedorf (please God), and maybe even Van Bommel. But, knowing our recent history with transfers, Galliani and Berlusconi will try to get a new Nocerino, paying the lowest price for some guy who should play in a mediocre team (just like Mesbah), and keep our midifield as it is right now, with Ambro, Seedorf and Gattuso. And we won't probably have Van Bommel for the next season.

I'm still thinking about the Tevez-Pato thing back in January. We could have sold Pato, a totally useless player, and have Tevez ready for the Serie A and the next season CL. But that midget decided to keep Pato, because he's dating his daughter. A fucking joke.

Ray Wilkins talking how Chelsea will/must "bypass" the midfield and play route one football against Barcelona. Shit is embarrassing. I hope Barca cook them

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Unbiased thoughts:

-No Silva, MVB, Cassano and a fit Pato was a massive massive loss.
-Allegri is a mediocre coach, he got it all wrong tonight. Milan deserve better.
-Soft penalties or non penalties, one shot on target does not equal 'robbed'.
-Ibra confirms his Europe-Heskey status again. His assist was sublime but your team needed more than that.

Now Milan can focus on the league title and seal it officially. The CL was a losing battle with Madrid, Bayern and Barca.

WJD

Ahh cheers boys, I'll try and catch some highlights when I get home.

I'm kind of in that 'perfectly tispy' feeling right now. Shit's good.

Wilbur

Banned
Ray Wilkins talking how Chelsea will/must "bypass" the midfield and play route one football against Barcelona. Shit is embarrassing. I hope Barca cook them

Nah fuck that, if it works it works. If Chelsea can ignore Xavi bawling about 'anti-football' winning in between sipping gallons of Drogba's semen from inside the European Cup, then by all means they should go for it.

Unbiased thoughts:

-Allegri is a mediocre coach, he got it all wrong tonight. Milan deserve better.
-Ibra confirms his Europe-Heskety status again. His assist was sublime but your team needed more than that.

Now Milan can focus on the league title and seal it officially. The CL was a losing battle with Madrid, Bayern and Barca.

only point i disagree with is ibra. he had very little help today, he can't get the midfield to have better possession and distribution. robinho is useless lately, ibra had too much responsibility on his shoulders yet he still got an assist and should have won a penalty in the second half.

i'm really starting to doubt allegri. he has the right ideas as far as football tactics in the abstract, and he has created a good system. but his man management skills are terrible, he picks the wrong players to start, makes the wrong substitutions, and constantly risks players to injury when they aren't healed properly.

i really don't understand why the hell robinho still starts over maxi lopez and el-sharaawy. the latter two have both been MUCH more dangerous when they come on. does maxi need to score a hattrick in the 10 minutes he plays to earn a start? i just don't get the robinho love from max.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
only point i disagree with is ibra. he had very little help today, he can't get the midfield to have better possession and distribution. robinho is useless lately, ibra had too much responsibility on his shoulders yet he still got an assist and should have won a penalty in the second half.

i'm really starting to doubt allegri. he has the right ideas as far as football tactics in the abstract, and he has created a good system. but his man management skills are terrible, he picks the wrong players to start, makes the wrong substitutions, and constantly risks players to injury when they aren't healed properly.

I'm beginning to think it's his fitness team doing something wrong.

Ibra is a curse in disguise. He's so good, that you rest all your hopes on his shoulders in big games.

rodvik

He is probably right though. Only a handful of teams realistically have a chance at going toe to toe with barca in terms of passing and tonight one of them lost. Chelseas strengths are just not in that style of play. They would have to bully their way through Barcelona, but I am by no means convinced they will get past Benfica so lets count our chickens after that game :)

I'm beginning to think it's his fitness team doing something wrong.

wouldn't surprise me either . . . the head of milan lab is a chiropractor :(

we should steal some of juve's fitness people . . . your team's fitness is admirable. if i was in a trolling mood i would say that that is the only admirable thing about your team, but i'm not. ;)

keit4

Banned
Bayern vs Real Madrid will be an amazing match to watch, but doesn't come close to a Bayern vs Barça final! Already excited!

See you tomorrow guys, time to go back to the ME3 multi :)

FuturusX

why do you ignore the fact that puyol was fouling nesta at the exact same time? just curious.

Maybe the ref didn't see his involvement in the tangle as a foul, or felt it didn't warrant a foul. I don't know. I'll watch the replay again and let you know.

Are you suggesting the call should have gone the other way?

I'm no referee, maybe we can find one on GAF. A lot guys in here seem to "know" the rules pretty well.

Unbiased thoughts:

-Ibra confirms his Europe-Heskey status again. His assist was sublime but your team needed more than that.

Allegri got everything wrong in his first two CLs. Like, everything. But if our alternative is, say, Ranieri, I think I'll stick with Allegri.

I agree about Silva and MVB, not that much about Cassano and Pato: we got to the quarter finals in CL and we reached the first spot in Serie A while they were injured.

How is that embarrassing? How did "total football" work out for you guys against them? You know; high line, slick passing etc?

We beat 2-1 in the first leg and lost the other. We lost to the better team. It doesn't matter how you play, Barca will always be favourites. But at least we deserved our victory rather by the way we played. Ultimately, I'm a football fan who follows a football team. I want that football team to play football, it's mindblowing logic, I know, but that's how I feel.

Trying to use the long ball and park the coach bus in front of the goal for two legs, which is what Chelsea will do, is an embarrassment to the sport because you indirectly admit you will not compete against your opponent by playing the ball on the grass (which is what the sport is about), so you'll try to score with one pass from the back.

At least try to play first for crying out loud. Don't sell yourself short

Maybe the ref didn't see his involvement in the tangle as a foul, or felt it didn't warrant a foul. I don't know. I'll watch the replay again and let you know.

Are you suggesting the call should have gone the other way?

I'm no referee, maybe we can find one on GAF. A lot guys in here seem to "know" the rules pretty well.

well, i am a referee lol. when i ref, if two people are fouling each other i don't call a foul either way. that is what should have been done, OR telling them to stop before the ball is kicked is the standard thing to do.

this ref just got it wrong, you can't just arbitrarily give a penalty to one side if two players are fouling each other. he must have not seen it correctly; but then why make the call? he was just wrong.

Hixx

Thinking football must be played a certain way is ridiculous. What makes football great is the variety in playing styles. The best way to beat Barca is to be direct, who gives a shit what the 'purists' think.

dschalter

okay i have cooled down. thoughts:

we need to stop playing with nesta, ambro, and seedorf. they are too slow and can't keep up at this level anymore. seedorf is invisible, nesta and ambro commit way too many reckless tackles because they can't keep up. we can play with maybe ONE of them (nesta) if we compensate with speed (thiago silva.) but today was just a disaster with mexes+nesta with ambro in front of them. probably the slowest defense/midfield in the entire CL.

we are never going to compete with barca/madrid if we play these old slow guys. all of their contracts are up this summer, we should either keep them in a backup/mentor role or just let them go. starting the game with three 35 year olds against a team comprised of extremely quick midgets was always going to be a disaster. hopefully berlusconi/galliani realize this. however, knowing berlu, he will blame max for subbing off seedorf.

also, pato is ridiculous. if he is broken, we should get rid of him, sorry to say. he can't play more than a game without getting injured this season, it is absurd. and robinho is simply not good enough for this level. hopefully with cassano back next week our strike partnership will begin to click again.

barca is superior to us, i wouldn't have minded losing fairly without referee help. oh well, it is what it is. hopefully now we can focus on the scudetto.

from what i saw, robinho was fine tonight. he got into good positions and played some nice passes; i think his game is a lot more refined than el-shaarawy's and maxi lopez seems pretty meh. 10000% agreed on the age thing though; it works in serie a because the pace of the game is relatively slow and we got through against arsenal because of epl defending, but having a bunch of 33+ year olds in midfield isn't a winning strategy.

as for allegri, the one that really irritates me is starting thiago silva against roma. having one of the best defenders in the world instead of mexes at the camp nou (and in the first leg too, though barca didn't score) would have been... somewhat nice .

tbh, i don't think over the tie the decisions favored barcelona that much, though the second penalty decision today was certainly the worst by a long shot.

Wilbur

Banned
We beat 2-1 in the first leg and lost the other. We lost to the better team. It doesn't matter how you play, Barca will always be favourites. But at least we deserved our victory rather by the way we played. Ultimately, I'm a football fan who follows a football team. I want that football team to play football, it's mindblowing logic, I know, but that's how I feel.

Trying to use the long ball and park the coach bus in front of the goal for two legs, which is what Chelsea will do, is an embarrassment to the sport because you indirectly admit you will not compete against your opponent by playing the ball on the grass (which is what the sport is about), so you'll try to score with one pass from the back.

At least try to play first for crying out loud. Don't sell yourself short

This is all bollocks. Arsenal were lucky to win and caught Barca on the counter attack twice. It was a great tactic, but they didn't play like they normally do. They defended deep, passed the ball quick onto the wings and made a lot of long clearances out of the box.

Why should football be played only on grass? Why is the notion of playing long balls and taking advantages of your team's strength a bad one?

Slizz

Got a feeling that Barca might just take this CL title again now.... Bayern Madrid will be such a dogfight that the winning team might be a bit weaker.

On top of that Barca has played SHIT in the last few CL games and still gotten by. It's inevitable that their CL form changes for the better.

iD3sMzg2refap.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
wouldn't surprise me either . . . the head of milan lab is a chiropractor :(

we should steal some of juve's fitness people . . . your team's fitness is admirable. if i was in a trolling mood i would say that that is the only admirable thing about your team, but i'm not. ;)

Paolo Bertelli is godly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom