• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoanarch

Why doesn't the EPL play more matches on Friday? Its a good day for football. The lower profile matches are especially good for fridays.

Also US based Mexican league fans are getting screwed starting this weekend if you don't have Dish Network. The Clasico Regio is on the new Univision Deportes Network only.

Pato had a medical check-up this morning, unsurprisingly he has a muscular problem. He won't be available at least for two weeeks, then he'll do another check-up.

He probably finished his season this week and Galliani will have to go after another striker this summer. Thanks once again, Berlusconi.

GorillaJu

My fantasy team this week is so hard to choose. The most difficult line up I've had to pick this year.

Viva you're near (on?) the top, shed some wisdom for me. I just noticed I have 107m team value and 2.3 in the bank. I think I may have the most "valuable" team in the league.

9KuRm.png

I really hate to leave two Swansea players on the bench while they play at home - their defensive record is incredible at the Liberty stadium, but Newcastle is on fire. Sigurdsson has been the absolute best contributor to my team over the last few weeks, particularly because my friends were too slow to pick him up, so I got tons of points while they slept on it.

Ugh. Considering taking out Young for either Taylor or Sig. Sig scores most of his goals away, so I'd think maybe Taylor would be better - but again, any defenders vs Newcastle is a risky proposition.

Does QPR concede goals from wingers or down the middle more? I could easily see Young playing as a sub for 10-15 minutes and getting nothing done. Then again, when he's on, he's on.

Kyoufu

Does 6th not get a Europa spot?

Probably not this year. Depends on the FA I think. Liverpool are guaranteed a spot for winning the Carling cup and then whoever wins the FA Cup too I think.

Hopefully the FA give Newcastle a spot instead of Cardiff or whoever...

pappe

My fantasy team this week is so hard to choose. The most difficult line up I've had to pick this year.

Viva you're near (on?) the top, shed some wisdom for me. I just noticed I have 107m team value and 2.3 in the bank. I think I may have the most "valuable" team in the league.

9KuRm.png

I really hate to leave two Swansea players on the bench while they play at home - their defensive record is incredible at the Liberty stadium, but Newcastle is on fire. Sigurdsson has been the absolute best contributor to my team over the last few weeks, particularly because my friends were too slow to pick him up, so I got tons of points while they slept on it.

Ugh. Considering taking out Young for either Taylor or Sig. Sig scores most of his goals away, so I'd think maybe Taylor would be better - but again, any defenders vs Newcastle is a risky proposition.

Does QPR concede goals from wingers or down the middle more? I could easily see Young playing as a sub for 10-15 minutes and getting nothing done. Then again, when he's on, he's on.
Young wont start if Nani and Valencia are both fit. i would pick Cisse instead of Bendtner.

GorillaJu

Young wont start if Nani and Valencia are both fit. i would pick Cisse instead of Bendtner.

Yeah, that's essentially my worry. I was going to buy Cisse, but I don't see him scoring against Swansea on Friday. Swansea pretty much doesn't concede at home. I'd rather hold off on Newcastle transfers until after they play away at the Liberty.

Bendtner is playing almost as good as Cisse, and is at home to a somewhat leaky defense.

The question is, next week do I get rid of Young for Valencia or Ben Arfa, and do I get rid of Bendtner for Cisse or keep him and hope his form continues and Cisse's declines.

Carbonox

Probably not this year. Depends on the FA I think. Liverpool are guaranteed a spot for winning the Carling cup and then whoever wins the FA Cup too I think.

Hopefully the FA give Newcastle a spot instead of Cardiff or whoever...

6th place gets Europa League if the two FA cup finalists are already in Europe (which is why you want to hope that Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham get to the final).

Dunno what's gwaning with Cardiff though. Maybe they get it as runners up to the Carling Cup if Liverpool are in the final of the FA Cup (they can't obviously have two Europa League spots so one of them would get bumped down as it's only fair as a Carling Cup runner up).

Most confusing shite in football.

Kyoufu

Met someone last night who supports Real Madrid and Barcelona

yesitis2.gif

6th place gets Europa League if the two FA cup finalists are already in Europe (which is why you want to hope that Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham get to the final).

Dunno what's gwaning with Cardiff though. Maybe they get it as runners up to the Carling Cup if Liverpool are in the final of the FA Cup (they can't obviously have two Europa League spots so one of them would get bumped down as it's only fair as a Carling Cup runner up).

Most confusing shite in football.

Cardiff can F off tbh. Playing a 38 game league is far more deserving than a silly little tournament that you didn't even win.

Also, I want Everton to win. :lol

Wilbur

Banned
Effenberg was an absolute boss. I loved Deisler, it's a shame how things went for him.

Bayern were awesome, still are really, just when I was a kid they were this mythical team who were just so tough to beat. Juve were the same.

I remember watching the final at a Wetherspoons at an airport waiting for the flight to Ireland and at like the 88th minute had to leave to get the plane. I get out in Dublin and we're European champions haha

Messi

Want to know the saddest thing about this thread?

Fady has only posted once. :''''(

tumblr_lkez9vCvhR1qg3jxao1_500.gif

Stop please, Fady has not forsaken us. He is working on the most epic of multi quote post, covering the entire thread.

:/ please, ill trade Yurt for Fady, sorry Yurt but prioritys.

GorillaJu

I met someone who is a fan of both teams - I think he likes Barça better, but probably just because they're playing nicer looking football right now.I assume anyone who would call themselves a fan of both teams isn't really a "supporter" per se, just a casual fan.

Cardiff can F off tbh. Playing a 38 game league is far more deserving than a silly little tournament that you didn't even win.

Also, I want Everton to win. :lol

Yeah I want Everton to win too. Man I'm so conflicted. Oh well, we're going to finish in the top 4 anyway so it doesn't matter ;)

Kyoufu

Yeah I want Everton to win too. Man I'm so conflicted. Oh well, we're going to finish in the top 4 anyway so it doesn't matter ;)

If we finished in the top 4 it'd be SO MASSIVE. The amount of money we'd get would be incredible for the club. God dammit. :( Europa doesn't pay squat.

Carbonox

Danny Simpson is statistically the best right back in the league apparently.

Only Patrice Evra, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Ashley Cole and Leighton Baines have racked up more points for tackles, crosses, interceptions, clearances and ground coverage. Simpson is actually ranked at 23 in the entire Premier League index table – a list that includes 609 top flight players.

Statistically he is the number one right-back in the Premier League, according to the index.

Simpson is ahead of so-called star-name defenders in the Premier League such as John Terry, Joleon Lescott, ex-team-mate Jose Enrique and even his own captain, Fabricio Coloccini.

But he is king of the right-backs in the top flight.

Notably, Simpson has made SEVEN goal-line clearances this season.

Anybody who accuses Simpson of bottling it when it comes to tackling may be interested to know that the right-back has an 83% success rate of coming away with the ball – and he has lost out in just nine tackles.

He has completed 159 defensive duties including completed tackles, clearances, interceptions and blocks – 43 more than Spurs’ Kyle Walker.

He has made more clearances than any other player this season with 39. Branislav Ivanovic of Chelsea is his nearest rival on 30.

And in terms of being a hard worker, Simpson has racked up an impressive 173.9 miles – Walker of Spurs is his nearest rival but is eight miles off the pace.

LegoArmo

As defined in UEFA's club competition regulations, three places in the UEFA Europa League automatically go to the three best-placed national associations in the Respect Fair Play rankings, provided they attained an average of 8.0 points or more.

Anyone have this years rankings? I can't find them on Google.

Edit: Oh, England was in 9th at the turn of the year. Doubt it will have got much better.

If we finished in the top 4 it'd be SO MASSIVE. The amount of money we'd get would be incredible for the club. God dammit. :( Europa doesn't pay squat.

It would be, it's really not outside the realms of possibility now. Chelsea have a shit ton of games to play where as we just have the 7 league games. Spurs have the FA cup to think about aswell.

It would be huge for the club, then again I'm more than happy with a Europa spot...it's just a shame the system is so fucked up we might end up getting screwed and get nothing for the fantastic season we've had.

Hixx

What are people on about with Cardiff getting into Europa League? Only the FA Cup runners up get a spot if the winner is already in Champions League/Europa League, Carling Cup runners up get fuck all...

Keio

For a Finer World
Tiote is probably the reason Newcastle is down there. He gets his yellow every match :p

Looking forward to Swanselona-Newcelona. Both teams have a talented midfield. And Ben Arfa is the new Messi according to Pardew. Then again maybe they just cancel each other out and grind a 0-0, but somehow I doubt that... My wish/prediction: 2-3, it'll be a free scoring game.

Hixx

Since start of 2012:

i2gxZk4sNzUnt.jpg

Villa are in the shit. 3 of the 5 below them are in considerably better form. This weekend could be massive for them, they could be pulled right into it as Bolton and Blackburn have winnable games. Tho I wouldn't write Villa off at Anfield, I suppose.

Kyoufu

Tiote is probably the reason Newcastle is down there. He gets his yellow every match :p

Looking forward to Swanselona-Newcelona. Both teams have a talented midfield. And Ben Arfa is the new Messi according to Pardew. Then again maybe they just cancel each other out and grind a 0-0, but somehow I doubt that... My wish/prediction: 2-3, it'll be a free scoring game.

Best names ever.

pappe

Yeah, that's essentially my worry. I was going to buy Cisse, but I don't see him scoring against Swansea on Friday. Swansea pretty much doesn't concede at home. I'd rather hold off on Newcastle transfers until after they play away at the Liberty.

Bendtner is playing almost as good as Cisse, and is at home to a somewhat leaky defense.

The question is, next week do I get rid of Young for Valencia or Ben Arfa, and do I get rid of Bendtner for Cisse or keep him and hope his form continues and Cisse's declines.

Off the top of my head i think Newcastle has an easier run in as compared to Sunderland so Cisse might do better. Between Valencia and Ben Arfa i think Arfa is a better option since he is cheaper and they both are right now on equally good form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom