• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
ApwCqVyCQAAfRCi.jpg

Wat.

Drake supports teams with cash. I'm not surprised.
Drake, United fan since 2007.

In 'The Presentation';

Drake said:
Me and my boy Rich, United like Van Nistelrooy

Slizz

K, so kit's aren't cheap and neither is personalization.... What a douche.

Lol at the thought though. Like Ronaldo would muck up his resumé by going to City?

EDIT: Drake is garbage what a bad Nistelrooy line.

Action Bronson does it better "kick shit like a young Ruud van Nistelrooy" as soon as I heard that line I had to rewind the track and re-listen. So awesome that an artist in 2012 from NY can drop a fucking RvN reference in a song. Even cooler that theres probably a very small minority of people who listen to Action Bronson that understand the line. I explained it to my friends and was met with WTF stares.

K, so kit's aren't cheap and neither is personalization.... What a douche.

Lol at the thought though. Like Ronaldo would muck up his resumé by going to City?

EDIT: Drake is garbage what a bad Nistelrooy line.

Action Bronson does it better "kick shit like a young Ruud van Nistelrooy" as soon as I heard that line I had to rewind the track and re-listen. So awesome that an artist in 2012 from NY can drop a fucking RvN reference in a song. Even cooler that theres probably a small minority of people who listen to Action Bronson that understand the line.

Maybe his time at Madrid has given him a penchant for coming second?

Salazar

Ruh roh said:
A Manchester City youth team star has been forced to apologise for celebrating rivals United's win over Blackburn on Monday night.
Sam Jones took to Twitter praising the late goals by Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young which sent the Premier League leaders five points clear at the top.
The Welsh defender wrote: 'Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh united united united', before adding, 'yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a goal!!!!!

lol

Messi

Seen a guy in work today with the current White Liverpool kit with dalglish on the back of it in White print.

Bet he is regretting that now.

rififi

I remember when people were saying that outside Madrid and Barca, La Liga was shit, so what does that make all the other leagues now that Liga teams are dominating Europe?

Salazar

I remember when people were saying that outside Madrid and Barca, La Liga was shit, so what does that make all the other leagues now that Liga teams are dominating Europe?

You would almost think that European games are an awful barometer of league form.

Teams are good, no doubt. But "HA - LOOK AT EUROPE !" is a dippy argument.

They should change the name of the Europa League to Iberic Cup. Atlético Madrid won the first edition, the second edition had 3 portuguese teams and 1 spanish team in the semi-finals and now the third edition has 3 spanish teams and 1 portuguese team in the semi-finals.

Kyoufu

La Liga is shit in terms of competition, but there are some excellent teams playing in that league right now.

I don't know what it is. Real and Barca having too much money that other teams can't compete?

Fintan

La Liga is shit in terms of competition, but there are some excellent teams playing in that league right now.

I don't know what it is. Real and Barca having too much money that other teams can't compete?

TV revenue is not split evenly, a huge proportion goes to Barca/Real, and as far as I know this affects the levels of competition hugely.

elsk

Banned

La Liga would be more fun without Real Madrid and Barcelona. They have some awesome teams, but also: they're on huge debt. They have to buy very expensive players to keep them competitive, and that translates in debt. Like Valencia, having to sell Mata.

When the financial fair play kicks in, it will be interesting to see how the English and Spanish leagues do. I understand the german and holland leagues are doing ok on the financial stuff.

The strange thing is, that when you take the relative "battles" in the league, it's actually not too dissimilar to the PL.

United lead City by 5, Real Madrid lead Barcelona by 6 points.

There are 4 teams within 5 points fighting for the CL spots in England, in Spain there are 4 teams within 5 points fighting for the CL spots (and 6 team within 6).

The relegation battle is tighter in the PL with more teams involved, in La Liga 3 seem to be cut off already, but the mid table is equally tight in both.

I do feel that La Liga is less competitive, the games don't seem to have the same thrill in terms of how tight they are...but really, I'm not sure if that's just how people can learnt to perceive the PL because the relative battles in each league are fairly similar.

Real Madrid and Barca are well ahead of third (30 points between 1st and 3rd) but when United are 18 ahead of Arsenal....I dunno, it hardly matters, it's an insurmountable lead. The money distribution in La Liga is a joke though, IMO UEFA and FIFA both should outlaw it because it's not only unfair domestically it is grossly unfair across European Competition also as two clubs have basically monopolized a league and are milking the revenue from it which allows them to spend a massive amount of money that other clubs simply cannot match. Because of this La Liga is the most unhealthy league in the world in financial terms, it is teetering on the brink of numerous clubs going out of existence.

rififi

La Liga would be more fun without Real Madrid and Barcelona. They have some awesome teams, but also: they're on huge debt. They have to buy very expensive players to keep them competitive, and that translates in debt. Like Valencia, having to sell Mata.

When the financial fair play kicks in, it will be interesting to see how the English and Spanish leagues do. I understand the german and holland leagues are doing ok on the financial stuff.

I agree, I was only semi-serious with my comment because a lot of people ignore the strength of other teams in Spain.
Although I am a Madrid fan, I hate the monetary disparity in La Liga and wish it wasn't just Barca vs Madrid for the title, but also Athletic, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, even Deportivo used to be a very tough team, now they are playing in Segunda.

Valencia's financial situation is mainly due to their now abandoned construction site of a new stadium; Bilbao also put a lot of money in a new stadium.

Lightning

Banned
Real Madrid and Barca are well ahead of third 3, (30 points between 1st and 3rd) but when United are 18 ahead of Arsenal....I dunno, it hardly matters, it's an insurmountable lead. The money distribution in La Liga is a joke though, IMO UEFA and FIFA both should outlaw it because it's not only unfair domestically it is grossly unfair across European Competition also as two clubs have basically monopolized a league and are milking the revenue from it which allows them to spend a massive amount of money that other clubs simply cannot match.A Because of this also La Liga is the most unhealthy league in the world in financial terms, it is teetering on the brink of numerous clubs going out of existence.
That is how things turned out this season, yes, but the problem is that Barcelona or Real Madrid will always win the league and it will take a miracle for anyone else in La Liga to have a look in. In the PL it is not the case. Despite the points gap in the table, there is not that much difference between the top sides whereas a few correct transfers Arsenal are right back in the hunt for the title next season, same with Chelsea and even Spurs so the competition is always there.

That is how things turned out this season, yes, but the problem is that Barcelona or Real Madrid will always win the league and it will take a miracle for anyone else in La Liga to have a look in. In the PL it is not the case. Despite the points gap in the table, there is not that much difference between the top sides whereas a few correct transfers Arsenal are right back in the hunt for the title next season, same with Chelsea and even Spurs so the competition is always there.
I guess so...but, when you consider in the 19 seasons of the PL, only 4 different teams have won the title...it's not really that competitive is it. One club has won it 12/19 times.

The competition is always there...it's there in one off games, it's not really there in the title race. In England the title race is almost always contested between two clubs, usually Man United + another.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm being arrogant, but it really is like that (and Chelsea and City are only relevant in the title picture because of their owners, okay, they're there, fair enough...but it is entirely down to money that they can compete or they'd be down the table too).

Kyoufu

What I like about the Premiership is a club can get promoted to it then finish in the top 6 two seasons later, spending barely anything.

What I hate about the Premiership is that every time I follow it, Man United end up winning it. :shakes fist:

edit: I agree with Viva. Premiership is dominated by a few clubs too. This season seems like bizarro season to me because of how poor Arsenal and Chelsea have done.

dschalter

Because it's their only realistic chance of winning a trophy.

(Not trolling)

but that's true in plenty of other leagues as well. plenty of italian clubs that have no chance of winning anything flame out of the EL regularly for one. the main difference between the premier league and other leagues is that you have a few more 'elite' teams- by which I roughly mean teams that could go deep into the CL without surprising anyone (6, which is more than any other league right now).

What I like about the Premiership is a club can get promoted to it then finish in the top 6 two seasons later, spending barely anything.

newcastle are a big club, albeit one that fucked up horribly enough to get relegated.

Messi

He's still a legend at the club from his playing days tho, right?

Oh very much so, its just having him on that jersey is a bit cringy. It was more to do with the white print on a white jersey also. Still a club legend regardless of what happens with him as a manager.

I wanted to get Guardiola 4 on the back of the last seasons kit after the CL final. But I pussed out in the Nou Camp super store and asked for Abidal (<3) but they were sold out of his name, so I went with :

carles-puyol3.jpg

Legend :p

but that's true in plenty of other leagues as well. plenty of italian clubs that have no chance of winning anything flame out of the EL regularly for one. the main difference between the premier league and other leagues is that you have a few more 'elite' teams- by which I roughly mean teams that could go deep into the CL without surprising anyone (6, which is more than any other league right now).

newcastle are a big club, albeit one that fucked up horribly enough to get relegated.
I like Newcastle but they couldn't compete in the CL at the moment.

Hi Kenny.

128803826644607904.jpg

Lightning

Banned
I guess so...but, when you consider in the 19 seasons of the PL, only 4 different teams have won the title...it's not really that competitive is it. One club has won it 12/19 times.

The competition is always there...it's there in one off games, it's not really there in the title race. In England the title race is almost always contested between two clubs, usually Man United + another.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm being arrogant, but it really is like that (and Chelsea and City are only relevant in the title picture because of their owners, okay, they're there, fair enough...but it is entirely down to money that they can compete or they'd be down the table too).
Yeah, but the competition is always there was what I was getting at. Man U are always challenging, most of the time winning, but they are not clear cut in most of them making it still compeitive. Chelsea and Man City are there because of their owners of course but they are there, adding to the competition. With Arsenal already basically sealing the Podolski deal seems to direct that Arsene Wenger is intent on building a more competitive complete side for next season but we'll see how that pans out. Same with Chelsea, rebuilding needs to be done there and we'll see how that goes.

But lets not kid ourselves, this Man U squad is not that great. Next season it's all on again. In the La Liga you don't really have this, it's only Barcelona and Real Madrid with the rest making up numbers.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

What I hate about the Premiership is that every time I follow it, Man United end up winning it. :shakes fist:

edit: I agree with Viva. Premiership is dominated by a few clubs too. This season seems like bizarro season to me because of how poor Arsenal and Chelsea have done.

chelsea is just a club of spoiled brats these days. Huge egos, huge wages, and low turn out.

And whats bizarro is Manited gettin their 20th cup most likely this season with lackluster plays, "sprise bech" goals from out of nowhere, frequently injured players like Ando, and outplayed by Iberian/swiss clubs euro competitions.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

IMO, Napoli, Lazio and Udinese are only a few players away from competing seriously for the title.

Napoli could've easily won the league this season if they ignored the CL and Coppa!

Kyoufu

chelsea is just a club of spoiled brats these days. Huge egos, huge wages, and low turn out.

And whats bizarro is Manited gettin their 20th cup most likely this season with lackluster plays, "sprise bech" goals from out of nowhere, frequently injured players like Ando, and outplayed by Iberian/swiss clubs euro competitions.

So true. This is the weakest Man Utd team I've seen and yet they're still top.. wtf!

Must be Fergie's magic powers.

Yeah, but the competition is always there was what I was getting at. Man U are always challenging, most of the time winning, but they are not clear cut in most of them making it still compeitive. Chelsea and Man City are there because of their owners of course but they are there, adding to the competition. With Arsenal already basically sealing the Podolski deal seems to direct that Arsene Wenger is intent on building a more competitive complete side for next season but we'll see how that pans out. Same with Chelsea, rebuilding needs to be done there and we'll see how that goes.

But lets not kid ourselves, this Man U squad is not that great. Next season it's all on again. In the La Liga you don't really have this, it's only Barcelona and Real Madrid with the rest making up numbers.
I suppose you are right. Just I get the feeling now that every off season you sit and think "hmm, this season could be really tight" and then it never is. As you say, if Arsenal go and get the right players, if Chelsea spend big, if Spurs keep their better players and add a couple more quality ones...then you're looking at 5 potentially really good teams.

But it won't happen. I really hope it does. I look at the Dutch league for example and the title race there is damn epic (6 teams within 4 points). Even in France and Portugal where any of 3 teams could very easily win it. I don't know if my heart could handle it but a title race like that is what makes a league really competitive.

As it stands I think City are going to spend alot of money again and United will go and buy in the couple of areas where they're weaker (maybe this is more hope than anything) and those two sides will again be well ahead of the rest. City have a good team and will be better next year, I think United's team isn't far off from being very strong...the others will have to do alot of work to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom