• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keio

For a Finer World
Xavi put him through, great pass and clinical finish. Messi would've lobbed the keeper though. #newcelona

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cisse is a god. He started a bit slow on my FM2012 restart, but for some reason he started scoring 2 goals a match and assisting like a mofo.

Hixx

It's astonishing how many times Swansea play themselves into trouble.

Pressure from the front, reap the rewards.

20120406-w19tjtpew7ci52edpr1sn6gjb.jpg

dschalter

Not at all, Britton has around 25% fewer misses than Busquets as a percentage.

using percentages at that scale is misleading when talking about this kind of stat. you could say that someone with a 99% pass completion rate has "100% fewer misses as a percentage" than someone with a 98% completion rate when the actual difference is trivial. A 1.5% difference in passing accuracy is not very significant.

using percentages at that scale is misleading when talking about this kind of stat. you could say that someone with a 99% pass completion rate has "100% fewer misses as a percentage" than someone with a 98% completion rate when the actual difference is trivial.
It's not at all trivial, there is a massive difference between 98% and 99%. It's a factor of two in how many missed passes.

Curious to see where United are on that graph. Dortmund and Newcelona as well.
Opta tweeted after Mondays game that before Scholes came back we had the 6th highest passing % in the league at about 80%.

Since Scholes has returned United have the top passing % in the league at about 87%.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
80% possession. One decent attempt apart from a timid free kick.

Yep, it's obvious that these are mostly Championship players. They don't have the confidence/skill to play any kind of risky forward pass, nor do they want to turn with the ball. It's all backwards or sideways and it gives the opposition all the time in the world to get into position. That's OK if it's 0-0, but at 0-1 it's utterly useless. Only Sigurdsson is showing any kind of attacking quality.

dschalter

It's not at all trivial, there is a massive difference between 98% and 99%. It's a factor of two in how many missed passes.

but in practical terms the difference is not very important. this is a pretty common error, attributing excessive significance to percentage changes in very small quantities. in terms of the actual number of missed passes, there's no difference between 98% and 99% and, say, 57% and 58%, yet they way you are looking at it there's a huge difference between the former and a trivial one for the latter.

dc89

Nani's first one vs City. Community Shield. If you'll accept it.

Sliced to fucking pieces. So godlike.

The brilliant thing about that game and the attacking play we saw from United is they've not been able to replicate it all season.

It's like when they scored and played like that it rubbed off on City. City played like that until 1-6 day and since then City lost it!

Excuse me Yurt, City is a massive club.

/parody.

Today's practice.

http://i.imgur.com/qe6Yu.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/CuKsa.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ErUWO.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Are you pulling these images from the RM site? I love your daily RM Training Dump :D

[quote="Maklershed, post: 36706094"]Pape Cisse - he scores when he wants[/QUOTE]

He gets it!!

[quote="dschalter, post: 36706538"]the differences are so small that it's sort of pointless to have that much vertical space on the graph.[/QUOTE]

lol, I love the graph critiquing!

but in practical terms the difference is not very important. this is a pretty common error, attributing excessive significance to percentage changes in very small quantities. in terms of the actual number of missed passes, there's no difference between 98% and 99% and, say, 57% and 58%, yet they way you are looking at it there's a huge difference between the former and a trivial one for the latter.
In terms of how impressive the statistic is rather than the value to the team then certainly 98 to 99 is a far bigger difference than 57 to 58.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom