• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

"Messi becomes first player to score 60+ goals in single season for European top flight club since Gerd Müller scored 67 for Bayern in 72-73." - Infostrada

I think he can push for 70 by the end of the season.

So Milanovic did actually break his nose today. What a great young guy to keep on playing despite that, will have to undergo surgery on Monday. Hopefully he will be back soon, he looks miles better than Munoz.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1333819609957.jpg

Zaragoza's pitch with flowers lol. Hope they descend shit team.

sneaky77

So I just read the latest Platini idea for Europe competition... and is kinda retarded.

He wants to scratch the Europe League and increase the CL to 64 teams. It guess it can be done in a March Madness style lol

Hixx

So I just read the latest Platini idea for Europe competition... and is kinda retarded.

He wants to scratch the Europe League and increase the CL to 64 teams. It guess it can be done in a March Madness style lol

EL is shit and I doubt too many people would shed a tear if it disappeared or was watered down to a pure knock out tournament again (...they should probably do that latter one).

64 team CL would just dilute it and give it the same problem the EL has now: too long before it gets interesting.

Wilbur

Banned
EL is shit and I doubt too many people would shed a tear if it disappeared or was watered down to a pure knock out tournament again (...they should probably do that latter one).

64 team CL would just dilute it and give it the same problem the EL has now: too long before it gets interesting.

Controversial - EL has been better than CL this year in my opinion, including the group stages. You don't get the giants which makes for better, more even games

TeegsD

For god sakes Braga. Stop with the long balls because you guys are terrible with them. try to keep possession and draw a foul. The only way you're going to score now is off a set piece.

Kyoufu

Controversial - EL has been better than CL this year in my opinion, including the group stages. You don't get the giants which makes for better, more even games

Would you think differently if Man United were still in the competition? To me, Chelsea being in it instead of Man United makes me feel a little "meh" about this year's CL. Probably because I know they're just fodder for a real team like Real or Barca.

sneaky77

Would you think differently if Man United were still in the competition? To me, Chelsea being in it instead of Man United makes me feel a little "meh" about this year's CL. Probably because I know they're just fodder for a real team like Real or Barca.

But that is not going to change by increasing the CL to 64 teams, it will just make more uneven and boring matchups.

elsk

Banned
It's bad already with teams like BATE and the other one from the Milan-Barcelona group playing in it. with 64 teams it would lose 'prestige', it would get interesting in semi finals or something like that.

Kyoufu

But that is not going to change by increasing the CL to 64 teams, it will just make more uneven and boring matchups.

I wasn't talking about changes to the tournaments. I would leave CL as it is.

I was talking about the difference between Man United and Chelsea, and how the former would have impacted his (and mine) interest in the tournament.

TeegsD

It's bad already with teams like BATE and the other one from the Milan-Barcelona playing in it. with 64 teams it would lose 'prestige', it would get interesting in semi finals or something like that.

Even then some small teams would make it that far only to be battered

Hixx

To each his own but until the knock out stages the EL is generally boring. One or two teams have been excellent in the tournament this year but it's not enough to change my opinion that the format needs changing again.

Does anybody truly want Europa League football? Loads of teams knock it on the head to focus on the league, especially prevalent in England.

Kyoufu

To each his own but until the knock out stages the EL is generally boring. One or two teams have been excellent in the tournament this year but it's not enough to change my opinion that the format needs changing again.

Does anybody truly want Europa League football? Loads of teams knock it on the head to focus on the league, especially prevalent in England.

I think if the money was actually good then clubs wouldn't be "meh" about it.

If I'm not mistaken, qualifying for CL grants more dosh than winning the Europa in its entirety.

That is sad.

I think at the least, there should be other rewards for taking part in Europa. Like a CL spot for getting to the quarter final or the semi-final. SOMETHING to encourage clubs to take the competition seriously.

bjaelke

It's bad already with teams like BATE and the other one from the Milan-Barcelona playing in it. with 64 teams it would lose 'prestige', it would get interesting in semi finals or something like that.

Just need to change the seeding system. Still remember the 98-99 group D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom