• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Happy with the Sunderland/Spurs result.

That match against Chelsea at the Emirates is going to be a very big game for both clubs. I was hoping we would have a large enough gap so the result of that game wouldn't matter but that doesn't look like it will be the case.

Maybe Fulham can do us a favor but I doubt it.

elsk

Banned
Does anybody truly want Europa League football? Loads of teams knock it on the head to focus on the league, especially prevalent in England.

Spanish, Portuguese and German teams do care about the EL.
And I care too, competition is more equal there. And a lot of teams use the competition as a way to gain experience and money to compete in the CL later.

rodvik

Spanish, Portuguese and German teams do care about the EL.
And I care too, competition is more equal there. And a lot of teams use the competition as a way to gain experience and money to compete in the CL later.

I like the EL too.

If you are going to change the tourneys I would say add the two finalists of the EL to the following years CL.

Champions League format is fine. It's the qualification rounds that need adjusting.

For the Europa League they need to get rid of the 3rd place Champions League team dropping in and at least give a Champions League place to the winner.

elsk

Banned
Yes, the EL winner should win a spot for next season CL!

I think if the money was actually good then clubs wouldn't be "meh" about it.

If I'm not mistaken, qualifying for CL grants more dosh than winning the Europa in its entirety.

That is sad.

I think at the least, there should be other rewards for taking part in Europa. Like a CL spot for getting to the quarter final or the semi-final. SOMETHING to encourage clubs to take the competition seriously.

I believe the winner of the EL gets as much money as a team playing in quarter finals in CL.

Wilbur

Banned
Would you think differently if Man United were still in the competition? To me, Chelsea being in it instead of Man United makes me feel a little "meh" about this year's CL. Probably because I know they're just fodder for a real team like Real or Barca.

Probably not; I've enjoyed the group stages of the Europa League more than I did the group stages with us in it, despite our results. The only great match in the knockouts so far was the first leg of Napoli - Chelsea. There's been tons in the EL

Yeah EL winner should get a CL spot. I think this season has done a good job of raising the profile for the EL though, I think so far I've enjoyed it abit more. I fully expect that to change when the CL semis hit though.

elsk

Banned
Probably not; I've enjoyed the group stages of the Europa League more than I did the group stages with us in it, despite our results. The only great match in the knockouts so far was the first leg of Napoli - Chelsea. There's been tons in the EL

The Bayern - Napoli - Man City - Villareal group of CL was amazing, I don't know what are you talking about.
If anything we need LESS teams in CL

WJD

It has been pretty lacklustre hasn't it?

(not just cause we're not in it either)

Wilbur

Banned
The Bayern - Napoli - Man City - Villareal group of CL was amazing, I don't know what are you talking about.
If anything we need LESS teams in CL

One group out of 8 isn't a great ratio. I also liked the Milan - Barca games, but regardless the EL has been more enjoyable for me this year. Anyway personal preference.

Yes Juve! Brilliant result, rooting for you guys :)
Roma ugh, abysmal defending. Kjaer needs to be sent back.
Dortmund woo
Liverpool lol
Chelsea ugh
Wolves lol
Fulham yay
Barca meh

Edit: Milan Barca group games obviously

Has anyone else had trouble getting iPlayer to work on their Xbox. Downloaded it today and I'm getting the not available message every single time :/

Feeling antsy about the 2 games tomorrow.

Smother me with warm platitudes United-GAF.
What's there to be worried about.

We're in control now. It's in our own hands. We should batter QPR 5-0. Arsenal will beat City 1-0 and we'll be 8 points clear and +5 on the GD.

I'm nervous :( Though tbf it's a nervous excitement more than anything.

TeegsD

Lol. You really hate Moutinho. That's the second time i see you hating on him after he got hit with a hard challenge. This time it was a freaking elbow to the back of the head. It's actually amazing how no card was given.

I've been hit with an elbow in the back of the head. It doesn't mean I have to roll on the ground and whine about it on the verge of tears like he does after every damn challenge.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

I knew we'd win.
Y'know, whilst it's obviously important for us to win tmrw, the City result will be the big one for me. If they win, even if we've won comfortably earlier on, it can reinvigorate their title challenge and get them going again.

Will be a big afternoon for them. We just need to make sure we get our job done and put the pressure on.

Kyoufu

Just to put these into perspective, each place in the Premier League is worth £800k bonus.

Also, just how good were the Jam. Hnnnrgh.

Premier league teams also get a massive amount of money this season just from TV broadcast money. The bottom club guaranteed at least £37 million and the champions earning more than £57 million.

Insane.

Carbonox

Premier league teams also get a massive amount of money this season just from TV broadcast money. The bottom club guaranteed at least £37 million and the champions earning more than £57 million.

Insane.

Wolves guaranteed £37m this season? wat

Insane.
£37m. Dayum. Bottom league in La Liga got 2m Euro last year.

Kyoufu

On Adebayor's current wages, he earns something like 8.8 million a year ASSUMING he gets paid every week of the year (which I assume he doesn't due to summer break). So that's really where all that money from the league/tv goes. Into the players' wages.

Then there's also ticket sales revenue. St. James's Park has a capacity of 52k or so. You can add that one up :p

Fady K

Messsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <3!! Sunhi where have you been :D That first goal of his today needs to be giffed :D

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I'm so fucking happy! YEAHHHHH!

Congrats bro :D Happy for you guys. A vital win at a tough place.

Maybe Fulham can do us a favor but I doubt it.

Fulham are doing really well now, they could have easily equalized with United at Old Trafford recently, so I think Chelsea will have to be VERY good to beat them at Craven Cottage. Plus, the Chelsea team seemed so tired today, I can't imagine what they'll be like after tomorrow :(

I've been hit with an elbow in the back of the head. It doesn't mean I have to roll on the ground and whine about it on the verge of tears like he does after every damn challenge.

I got hit with a ball in the face and fell unconscious for 1 minute so... Just because you say you can take an elbow to the back of the head and act like nothing happened doesn't mean he can. And again you say every damn challenge, he got more in this game yet you saw just that. Same as the previous hard challenge u complained about. He left sporting 2 years ago, just let it go. Lol

rodvik

Liverpoop should focus on trying to win some games instead. Out of all the "massive clubs" in the PL they are currently the biggest joke.

But , but as Kenny has sagely noted its because the referees are against Liverpool. Thats the only possible reason :)

Snark aside, Liverpool fans were classy today joining in some 19th min applause for Petrov, also best wishes to them on the Hillsborough anniversary, truly a terrible tragic day. Kenny is rightfully held in very high regard for his actions back then.

dc89

I got the new iPad and I was showing my GF it and she was comparing the screen to her iPad 2. So on the main page where it shows you who is online I was saying 'look how crisper the text is' etc.

She zoomed in, and the name which appeared in huge font on the screen?

Fady K

Surely it means something?

Fady K

I love these two, they have been effective for the team in so many ways recently.

0,,10268~10700177,00.jpg

I got the new iPad and I was showing my GF it and she was comparing the screen to her iPad 2. So on the main page where it shows you who is online I was saying 'look how crisper the text is' etc.

She zoomed in, and the name which appeared in huge font on the screen?

Fady K

Surely it means something?

Dc! Does Aguero return tomorrow? Why has Silva been a shadow of his former self recently :'(?? Can they do it at the Emirates you think?

Congrats on your iPad man! What a coincidence though lol :p!

Mastadon

Banned
Liverpoop should focus on trying to win some games instead. Out of all the "massive clubs" in the PL they are currently the biggest joke.

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion. King Kenny is helping Liverpool fans relive past glories by bringing in trophies like the league cup (which some pundits are calling the new champions league) and the FA Cup (which we've pretty much got in the bag - Kenny is an expert at cups).

Kenny complaining about decisions today, yeah they had a couple go against them. Clearest one of the day though...stone wall penalty for Villa late in the game and the player was booked for diving! Crazy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom