• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad-

This is a week old but it made me smile:

la_injury_league_120331.jpg

All hail Ferguson.

I know where your coming from but I don't buy it 100%.

I don't believe when we were steam rolling teams it was pure luck and a fluke.
Something, somewhere has gone wrong.

Poor rotation - fatigued your best players early and left your squad players (see: Nasri) with scant match sharpness. Overly-defensive tactics in the run-in. Poor man-management with Balotelli (except, can he actually be managed?) and Tevez. Basically, the result of a good but not unflawed manager.

Manager

Aye, the owners borrowed some money to buy the club, the goal being to raise it's value considerably and sell for a profit. They're accomplishing that, if they sold the club now they'd probably get near double what they paid.

Alright, thanks, sounds familiar. Hard to keep up with bonds, rumours of them going public stock exchange and what not.

Is Suarez the only player in the league who will be called a diver by pundits and managers? Listening to Mark Hughes talking about Young, and he's evading any language that could be interpreted as an accusation of diving

defel

Maybe City are being too hard on themselves. To build a EPL winning team and more importantly a team with the mentality to push through the difficult periods, such as the one they are in now, takes several years. They have the talent and soon enough they will have the mentality. Bottling the league in the final third of the season is the kind of experience that builds the character and mentality required to win it next time. I remember someone -somewhere- saying that Fergie always looked ahead in earnest to the next season, regardless of what happened in the season before. City need to do the same. One one hand I think they need a new manager but I also think that Mancini has done a pretty good job all things considered.

Maybe City are being too hard on themselves. To build a EPL winning team and more importantly a team with the mentality to push through the difficult periods, such as the one they are in now, takes several years. They have the talent and soon enough they will have the mentality. Bottling the league in the final third of the season is the kind of experience that builds the character and mentality required to win it next time. I remember someone -somewhere- saying that Fergie always looked ahead in earnest to the next season, regardless of what happened in the season before. City need to do the same. One one hand I think they need a new manager but I also think that Mancini has done a pretty good job all things considered.
I agree.

The important thing is to identify the mistakes this year and correct them. Can Mancini do that? Tbh, I have no idea.

Manager

Not sure what the next step is for City. Considering they all earn a lot, I find it hard to believe that anyone will really want to leave (besides from the loaned out players).

Probably Tevez. De Jong, Adam Johnson and Balotelli might. Maybe Savic.

The squad is still full though. Barry may be sold in place for a world class central midfielder, but they're hard to find. If AJ leaves there might be place for a winger like Hazard.

Players who needs to step it up next season if all stay: Balotelli, Milner, Nasri, Johnson, Kolarov and Dzeko. Can't really say the others have done much wrong, much is on Mancini.

Yen

It's because he's not a good enough manager, especially at the business end of the season.
He has to go. Some managers have specific traits that give them leeway - tactics, transfer market, philosophy - but he doesn't have anything like this to fall back on.

norinrad

Poor Mario, Mancini has finally given up on him. His biological mom moving into the neighborhood didn't help his course as well. Kid has a lot of drama that trails him around

Benitez to Man City

Honestly, I don't think Benitez is a particularly superior manager to Mancini and he would've fallen out with this City side. I also think after the football City have played this season, the brand of football Benitez would employ would bore City fans to tears.

kharma45

Following weeks and weeks of getting close to Mourinho's agent is Khaldoon going to make the call?!

No doubt City will try and throw the cheque book at him but Mourinho wants to succeed Ferguson and he'll probably stay at Madrid until he gets that chance.

dc89

No Manager. It's all over. Aguero will want out, Silva will want out. It's done.
Sheikh is selling the club.

ElyrionX

That's a fair statement but doing that requires a good manager to build on the team and the experience. Look at what Mancini has said and done all season. From "Tevez will never play for City again" to "I would punch Ballotelli" and then there is his utterly baffling tactics and poor squad management. Do you really think this manager would be able to foster the kind of discipline and command the kind of respect required from his players to win a title that is played out in 38 games over 9 months?

Rad-

Not sure what the next step is for City. Considering they all earn a lot, I find it hard to believe that anyone will really want to leave (besides from the loaned out players).

Probably Tevez. De Jong, Adam Johnson and Balotelli might. Maybe Savic.

The squad is still full though. Barry may be sold in place for a world class central midfielder, but they're hard to find. If AJ leaves there might be place for a winger like Hazard.

Players who needs to step it up next season if all stay: Balotelli, Milner, Nasri, Johnson, Kolarov and Dzeko. Can't really say the others have done much wrong, much is on Mancini.

You need to start buying more young talent, instead of ready-talent. That way they grow into the club and learn what they play for. That's how Ferguson rolls.

Scum

Honestly, I don't think Benitez is a particularly superior manager to Mancini and he would've fallen out with this City side. I also think after the football City have played this season, the brand of football Benitez would employ would bore City fans to tears.

Shhhh! Don't ruin it! :p

Yen

Honestly, I don't think Benitez is a particularly superior manager to Mancini and he would've fallen out with this City side. I also think after the football City have played this season, the rand of football Benitez would employ would bore City fans to tears.
08/09 wasn't boring at all. He'd have money to recreate that team. (09/10 was dire!!). I used 08/09 as an example as it was the most exciting season for Liverpool with the best style of play. His previous seasons were good too.

Manager

The problem is that Mancini has shown no signs of learning from previous experiences and correcting mistakes. The succesful season can be described with all the talent bought this summer and some squad gel. Tactically it has been very similar since he arrived.

ShogunX

Is Suarez the only player in the league who will be called a diver by pundits and managers? Listening to Mark Hughes talking about Young, and he's evading any language that could be interpreted as an accusation of diving

People normally avoid saying stuff like that because it normally gets you in trouble with the FA.

No doubt City will try and throw the cheque book at him but Mourinho wants to succeed Ferguson and he'll probably stay at Madrid until he gets that chance.
I think Mourinho would go there.

Anyways, job yet to be done. Wigan away on Wednesday, had the day off today so should be well rested.

Manager

You need to start buying more young talent, instead of ready-talent. That way they grow into the club and learn what they play for. That's how Ferguson rolls.

Ferguson was forced to do it with many of his players growing old. There are very few City players aged aboved 28, most at 23-26. They still have 10 years of PL football in them.

I doubt Ferguson would roll that way if he had the money Mancini has.

ElyrionX

Nope, but studying Economics and I've read extensively about LBO's and how the Glazer's took control of United. Tbh, it's not rocket-science.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, it's not rocket science. Anyway, IMO, a football club is probably one of the worst kind of business that you attempt to do a LBO on. Revenues are way too volatile and uncertain regardless of how big your club is. I have no idea what the Glazers were thinking and I'm just hoping it all plays out well for United. The good news is that United has such a strong brand and such a large fanbase that there will inevitably be many powerful people willing to bail us out if shit really hits the fan in our finances.

Wilbur

Banned
He's crackin up
He's crackin up
He's crackin
Rafa's Mario's crackin up

Say hi to Arnie, Lunchbox.

Great set of results, Arteta, Rosicky and Song were fucking brilliant all game.

Media to blame balotelli.

It should be on Mancini; his tactical decisions over the last few months have ruined things for them

How the fuck does Ferguson do it. Seriously.

I don't think we're as mediocre as made out to be, I think our style of play has been lacking since October but there's been a lot of injuries. We've got a good squad, they just need to gel together a bit more to play better

So fucking happy. I'm so proud of Fergie and this team. I've said all along since that 6-1 we were going to win, and I know you lot have too. Fucking brilliant. Well done Arsenal, totally deserved

Thing is if they sack Mancini and bring in Mourinho, I resign us to second place. Guys a fucking winner.

defel

Football Stadia (and sports venues in general) are one of the worst forms of investment I can think of. Wait until 2014 and look at the Olympics venue in London for evidence.

mancini is such a moron. if he wanted to play with a defensive left winger, why not play a defensive left winger? why tell balotelli, a striker, to stay on the left and mark sagna? what good could have come from that, other than a bunch of reckless striker-esque tackles?

Ahh, I see. Yeah, it's not rocket science. Anyway, IMO, a football club is probably one of the worst kind of business that you attempt to do a LBO on. Revenues are way too volatile and uncertain regardless of how big your club is. I have no idea what the Glazers were thinking and I'm just hoping it all plays out well for United. The good news is that United has such a strong brand and such a large fanbase that there will inevitably be many powerful people willing to bail us out if shit really hits the fan in our finances.
It's a crazy idea to invest in football. MUFC is one of the few clubs where it can reap rewards if you manage it right. As bad as the Glazers are, and I have no time for them, their business plan has played out perfectly so far (Ferguson's management has been priceless here). If the markets were healthier as the Glazer's probably expected them to be and the IPO worked out they'd be in a very good position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom