• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
City didn't fancy it today. You can't place blame on individuals like Mancini or Mario (who it should be noted had the best chances for his side). The problem wasn't the forward line, but the midfield; they didn't create enough.

dc89

There are none on GAF but these City fans calling for Mancini to go need to take a step back.

4 years ago City were on the verge of going bankrupt. They have come a long way and there is still a distance to go.

4 years ago if you asked me would you take 2nd place I'd have bit your hand off. I supported City when they were in the 3rd tier and I still support them now.

Wilbur

Banned
He has made it pretty clear he wants to manage United though. United wouldn't take him if he joined City.

I don't know if I'd want him in the first place. Maybe, but for no more than a season or two. I don't buy the poor football argument though, Madrid have been brilliant this season.

I think if we got him in for a year or two for stability after SAF goes and then a younger manager to stay for years, that would be great.

Manager

I would tell you the real story but because you're making me laugh, I'll let you continue.

You'll feel really stupid when you find out how LBO's work though.

Nope, but studying Economics and I've read extensively about LBO's and how the Glazer's took control of United. Tbh, it's not rocket-science.

I study economics myself, master of science in engineering. I read a lot about United's status back when it happened, unfortunately it has slipped my mind (and I often tend to write shit in here without thinking what I'm saying).

I take it you've read Swiss Ramble? Great site to keep up with those situations.

Yen

Wasn't that the season where Torres and Gerrard just went on a beasting spree? Because if so that's not really a strategy.
Think they played a combined 12 games. The midfield three was perfect, we had a strong defence and the best striker it the world. It was not boring football.

I study economics myself, master of science in engineering. I read a lot about United's status back when it happened, unfortunately it has slipped my mind (and I often tend to write shit in here without thinking what I'm saying).

I take it you've read Swiss Ramble? Great site to keep up with those situations.
Cool! Sorry, I was a bit cold earlier :-/

Yep Swiss Ramble and also the andersred blog.

I'm not even happy about City losing. I wanted an epic title race that goes the distance with United nicking it at the very last. Not City epically shitting the bed and us just being there to pick up what they dropped. Sure, Fergie and the boys are to be commended for keeping pace early in the season when City was on fire and half of the squad was in the infirmary, and the team seems to be rounding into their best form of the season at the moment. Still, it feels cheap somehow.

But if this is truly the end (I mean there is still football to be played, and United needs to show the resolve of a proper champion by finishing the season strong and getting the results), I'll take it. I'll definitely take it.

And good on Arsenal for getting the result. Earlier in the season it looked like they would finish closer to tenth than to first on the table, but to see them (probably) playing CL football next year is a credit to their huge bounce back.

As for where City goes from here, I don't know. I don't put all of the blame on the manager, or the players, or the execs. Somewhere in the middle of the season, they all failed as a collective unit and were never able to recover. I don't think that sacking Mancini will bring an immediate remedy to the situation either. Mancini, in a relatively short amount of time, took City from the cellar of Manchester to right at the forefront of English football, winning the FA cup (while knocking us out in the process), finishing solo second in the league twice, and securing yet another year of CL football. With the massive amounts of cash at his disposal, he's assembled a squad that could rival any in the world bar the Spanish superpowers, but it was their first year together and his first year with them. I think giving Mancini the support to go it at least another year could do City some good.

Manager

mancini is such a moron. if he wanted to play with a defensive left winger, why not play a defensive left winger? why tell balotelli, a striker, to stay on the left and mark sagna? what good could have come from that, other than a bunch of reckless striker-esque tackles?

City didn't fancy it today. You can't place blame on individuals like Mancini or Mario (who it should be noted had the best chances for his side). The problem wasn't the forward line, but the midfield; they didn't create enough.

Both are examples of exactly what Mancini has done tactically wrong this season. Playing Milner and Barry in a central pairing is never wise. There's too little creativity between them.

Playing Balotelli wide hasn't really worked all season, but on the other hand he really hasn't worked in any position.

Arnie

Wasn't that the season where Torres and Gerrard just went on a beasting spree? Because if so that's not really a strategy.

That's a simplistic view on the season. We had Alonso in his absolute prime for a start. I'd say he was just as influential as the other two, even more so when you consider what happened the season after.

sneaky77

we have missed so many chances to put this game away and let Sevilla stay in the match.. ahhh.. this is happening too often this season

ElyrionX

I don't think we're as mediocre as made out to be, I think our style of play has been lacking since October but there's been a lot of injuries. We've got a good squad, they just need to gel together a bit more to play better

So fucking happy. I'm so proud of Fergie and this team. I've said all along since that 6-1 we were going to win, and I know you lot have too. Fucking brilliant. Well done Arsenal, totally deserved

Thing is if they sack Mancini and bring in Mourinho, I resign us to second place. Guys a fucking winner.

Oh, we've been mediocre, most definitely. Our squad is generally fine but quite clearly, we are lacking in some areas and obviously, central midfield is the biggest gaping hole. Not sure if Scholes is going to stay another season though looking at the way he's played since coming back, that appears more likely than not. We'll get another season out of Giggs as well but at this point, I'd rather we use both Giggs and Scholes as fringe players while letting the likes of Cleverly, Pogba and Anderson develop. Evans is growing into the central defender role so that'll be helpful. Hopefully, Evra gets benched more next season. I'd also rather see someone else lead the team. I've never liked Evra much as a captain.

Manager

Cool! Sorry, I was a bit cold earlier :-/

Yep Swiss Ramble and also the andersred blog.

No worries, it was a troll bait and it failed. It often ends bad when you're pissed off.

Thanks for andersred, gonna visit that in the future. It's sad that stuff like this gets pushed away from newspapers, being replaced with Ronaldo's latest girlfriend or Balotelli tales.

Benitez would do well at City if given authority. He'd have to clear out a few players.

I don't think his style of football is particularly exciting and in general it's not one that I like (not enough pace IMO), but it's not exactly rubbish either. But he is a pragmatic manager after all so it's not that surprising. His football wouldn't be horrid though. His Liverpool team played with a certain style but they had swagger too, as I said, not IMO exhilarating or to my taste but a high tempo for sure.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
There are none on GAF but these City fans calling for Mancini to go need to take a step back.

4 years ago City were on the verge of going bankrupt. They have come a long way and there is still a distance to go.

4 years ago if you asked me would you take 2nd place I'd have bit your hand off. I supported City when they were in the 3rd tier and I still support them now.

I only listen to you dc!

Your current team is capable of so much more than this. They (you) deserve a better manager!

Lunchbox

Banned

4 years ago there was no arab sugar daddy dumping 450 million

Manager

It's noble to think this way but it doesn't really push the club forward. People said exactly this when Mark Hughes was about to be fired. Do you think City would be where they are today with Hughes?

Can somebody explain to me where this idea that mourinho is busting his balls to manage United comes from? I always hear people talking about it.

dc89

4 years ago there was no arab sugar daddy dumping 450 million

Exactly. We were in the care of a Thaksin who had his funds frozen.
That's why I'm grateful. Who knows where city would be now if the Sheikh didn't buy them.

Thanks Yurt! <3

Slizz

Can somebody explain to me where this idea that mourinho is busting his balls to manage United comes from? I always hear people talking about it.

I could be mistaken but I think Mo said he'd love to coach United at some point or something to that degree. Then I'm assuming people took that and ran with it.

IMO Mancini's error has been the lack of a Plan B. With the players he has he should have managed to work one out.

That for me is one of United's biggest strengths. Whilst we have our desired style of play the team can play in several different ways effectively enough to get results and when some players are out injured, it can cope. Obv. we have stacked up on wingers as that's key for us.

Other than that, Ferguson has the complete trust of his players, and in turn he puts complete faith in them. That is a very strong bond and it gets your players playing the way the United players do for Fergie. It takes masterful man management obv and I guess, you just have to be right more often than not so they believe in you. Ferguson is at a luxury also, everyone knows he is the man, he's been there and done it. Mancini has a tough job convincing his players he can lead them to glory...

I really don't know. He has said he would want the job I think, pretty sure he's said that. But I don't think he wants it so bad that he wouldn't take another very good job just to hold out for it. City will pay him loads and give him an unlimited budget, makes sense really.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh, we've been mediocre, most definitely. Our squad is generally fine but quite clearly, we are lacking in some areas and obviously, central midfield is the biggest gaping hole. Not sure if Scholes is going to stay another season though looking at the way he's played since coming back, that appears more likely than not. We'll get another season out of Giggs as well but at this point, I'd rather we use both Giggs and Scholes as fringe players while letting the likes of Cleverly, Pogba and Anderson develop. Evans is growing into the central defender role so that'll be helpful. Hopefully, Evra gets benched more next season. I'd also rather see someone else lead the team. I've never liked Evra much as a captain.

If we start the season with a fully fit Vidic permanently alongside Evans or Smalling with Ferdinand for cover, I'd be very happy. Apart from LB the rest of our defense is fine - Jones and Raf have great potential - and out wide and up front we're good. We could perhaps do with more of a brute force, lump it into the box striker because Rooney, Chicha, Welbeck and Owen tick other departments (going on the assumption Berba is leaving). Anyone from the reserves fit that mould?

It would be great to have Scholes around if used much more luxuriously than he has been this half season. The retirement done him the world of good, so if he was around for experience and the odd game that would be lovely; he'd be great in Europe against slower teams as well. Carrick should be a mainstay but we definitely need at least one centre mid signing; an improved Fletcher would be brilliant, one that battles for every ball and runs all day. Then I think we either have to let Clev/Pog grow into a role with lots of minutes or buy a creative midfielder.

dc89

It's noble to think this way but it doesn't really push the club forward. People said exactly this when Mark Hughes was about to be fired. Do you think City would be where they are today with Hughes?

No. We'd have finished 7th that season instead of 5th as we did under Mancini.

I'm just saying, if you've recently started supporting City (post-Mansour) then you don't appreciate it the same as your lifetime City fan.

I could be mistaken but I think Mo said he'd love to coach United at some point or something to that degree. Then I'm assuming people took that and ran with it.
I see. I wonder if there's any decent reports of it. It's not that I think people are talking shit, but so many speak about it as if it's nailed on, and I've genuinely never come across any evidence myself.

Manager

United legends have gone out and stated their support of Mourinho, Ferguson has also said nice things about him. Mourinho has also confirmed that he wants to return to England. The rest is probably paper talk.

edit
He said this in 2009
In July 2009, while manager of Inter, Mourinho said: "I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson. If they do, then of course."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16333382

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Wonder what Kermit's thoughts on the game are. :lol

3rbdQ.jpg

yes, man city should get pep :D

clash of ideas and culture would be hilarious

Pep would be great for City!

Mou for United. Pep for City

Slizz

United legends have gone out and stated their support of Mourinho, Ferguson has also said nice things about him. Mourinho has also confirmed that he wants to return to England. The rest is probably paper talk.

This is correct. A LOT of former United players have spoken up about him.

Lightning

Banned
I would really love Wenger to explain why Chamberlain is not getting much game time? The only possible reason could be his age and Wenger doubts he's mature enough to handle the business end of the season.

I also noticed that Gervinho was not on the bench. Is he injured?

Empty

i guess it's that someone with mou's ego would love rising to the challenge of the "impossible job" of succeeding sir alex.

kharma45

I dunno if this carries any weight but SAF has said "Jose is a great friend of mine. We’ve spoken many times about his future and I understand his wish to return to England" and I can't see him at City as Mou himself said “I say it is impossible.”

If they're as close as SAF says I can't see anyone else but him managing United. Whilst it's not "busting his balls" it does seem likely he'll be next for United. Pretty sure he's said in the past too he'd want the job.

Edit - re Manager's quote in his post.

Arnie

I'm equally bemused by it also.

There's nothing to achieve at United that hasn't already been done, except perhaps winning the Champions League, which means entering yet another rivalry with Barca, something he's already got, and is better equipped to handle at Real.

He could arrive and win the FA Cup and United fans wouldn't really give a shit, if they didn't win the league, simply because of how easily SAF made winning the title look. He'd have immense standards to live up to, and even if he met them, they'd be achievements more or less expected, rather than adored.

In fact, that's being hyperbolic, it's not that United fans wouldn't care (I'm sure they would), it's that his achievements wouldn't have a huge impact within football. He'd be taking over an already colossal team achievement wise, and maintaining their status. I don't think Mourinho is someone who pines to maintain standards.

It's not like winning the Premier League with Chelsea. Or winning the Champions League with Inter. Or winning La Liga with Real.

Or winning the Premier League with Liverpool.

This is correct. A LOT of former United players have spoken up about him.
I think it's something Mourinho tells journalists off the record. A lot of them say he wants the job and would love the challenge to succeed Ferguson etc, I am assuming he has suggested that.

ElyrionX

If we start the season with a fully fit Vidic permanently alongside Evans or Smalling with Ferdinand for cover, I'd be very happy. Apart from LB the rest of our defense is fine - Jones and Raf have great potential - and out wide and up front we're good. We could perhaps do with more of a brute force, lump it into the box striker because Rooney, Chicha, Welbeck and Owen tick other departments (going on the assumption Berba is leaving). Anyone from the reserves fit that mould?

It would be great to have Scholes around if used much more luxuriously than he has been this half season. The retirement done him the world of good, so if he was around for experience and the odd game that would be lovely; he'd be great in Europe against slower teams as well. Carrick should be a mainstay but we definitely need at least one centre mid signing; an improved Fletcher would be brilliant, one that battles for every ball and runs all day. Then I think we either have to let Clev/Pog grow into a role with lots of minutes or buy a creative midfielder.

The question is then, can you see such a United team beating the likes of Barca or Real or even Bayern? Not so sure there.

Carrick has been great since the start of the year but he was incredibly useless in the first half of the season and I really don't think he should be first-team if we want to challenge for the CL trophy. That doesn't leave us with very many options. Pogba and Cleverley are easily our two biggest hopes right now but we need at least one more world-class midfielder to hold the fort while those two grow into the team.

There's nothing to achieve at United that hasn't already been done, except perhaps winning the Champions League, which means entering yet another rivalry with Barca, something he's already got, and is better equipped to handle at Real.

He could arrive and win the FA Cup and United fans wouldn't really give a shit, if they didn't win the league, simply because of how easily SAF made winning the title look. He'd have immense standards to live up to, and even if he met them, they'd be achievements more or less expected, rather than adored.

In fact, that's being hyperbolic, it's not that United fans wouldn't care (I'm sure they would), it's that his achievements wouldn't have a huge impact within football. He'd be taking over an already colossal team achievement wise, and maintaining their status. I don't think Mourinho is someone who pines to maintain standards.

It's not like winning the Premier League with Chelsea. Or winning the Champions League with Inter. Or winning La Liga with Real.

Know where you're going with that, BUT, I do think that if somebody comes in and takes over from Fergie and maintains the level of success, they are going to earn ALOT of plaudits.

(Rightfully so IMO, close to an impossible job.)

Edit - Personally I don't really want Jose as manager but I am shit scared we are doomed after Fergie leaves so I'd have Jose just because he knows how to win.

ElyrionX

Hmm, my thinking is that he's done so much at so many clubs that he wants to "settle down" with one club and build his legacy. Given United's history of sticking with Ferguson, maybe he thinks that's the perfect place to do it. Maybe he wants a stand at Old Trafford named after him as well? lol

elsk

Banned
Im mad at Juve yo! Stop buying our youngsters!

Also, a good eastern tournament is being held right now in Amsterdam. Its for the B-teams.

Poule A:
Ajax 2-6 (5-0)
Manchester United 2-3 (2-1)
Desportivo Brasil 2-3 (4-2)
Besiktas 2-0 (0-8)

Poule B:
Ajax Cape Town 1-3 (2-1)
FC Barcelona 1-1 (0-0)
FC Bayern München 1-1 (0-0)
AC Milan 1-0 (1-2)

BAYEEEEEERN. Ac Milan-Barcelona is on right now, 1-0.

Is there a website to see the players in each squad? Thanks!

Arnie

I understand that argument also. Just matching Ferguson is an almost impossible task, so if he manages it then he'll be revered by both the fans and the media. He's on the cusp of being considered the best manager in the world, and I think only Ferguson is holding him back from that. Successfully managing United is one way of taking the top spot from a global perspective.

I'm not sure I see the legacy argument. I can't conceivably see anyone managing United for as long as Ferguson has in todays game, not even Mourinho. And if I see Mourinho settling down anywhere it's back in London with Chelsea. He did have a very special bond with Chelsea and I think it's something he'd like to revisit one day.

Kyoufu

If Guardiola leaves Barca for an English club I sure hope the Triforce doesn't leave with him.

Messi/Iniesta/Xavi Triforce is too OP for one club in England.

MPW

so did galatasaray win the league in turkey? wtf is this playoff crap? someone explain this shit to me!

Manager

Holy shit. PR mastermind strikes again.

Premier League HD: Mancini: "I'll be looking to sell Balotelli this summer." (in an interview given to written press)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom