• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, half of me wishes that I didn't go to the pub and was here for the City game! What did I miss?

Congratulations Man U, City didn't play like a league winning side today. Shame, maybe next year.

Clegg

I'm slightly uneasy about everyone saying the league is over. There are still 6 matches left for each team and one of those is City/United.

I won't rest easy until United have been confirmed champions.

Kyoufu

I'm slightly uneasy about everyone saying the league is over. There are still 6 matches left for each team and one of those is City/United.

I won't rest easy until United have been confirmed champions.

8 points man.

This isn't 4 points plus a Classico, this is 8 points!

You don't think they'll get 3 points off Wigan next game? Or 3 off Villa?

Clegg

I'm worried about the Everton, Sunderland and City games.

They are all potential pitfalls. We need Newcastle to at least hold City to a draw.

Dibbz

QHdRx.gif

the old lady in the middle :lol

-----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xqK_Mjm_7oU

lol City. Look. Look at your shitty celebration as Arsenal destroyed your chances of a title.

Untied have this sealed up. Even if they lost against City it shouldn't matter. City are done, they fell apart weeks ago.

Samir Nasri and Joleon Lescott are being drawn into Twitter-beef, it's funny.

Nasri is up against Piers Morgan though so I'm on Nasri's side.

I can't stand Piers Morgan. I guess taking the piss out of a couple of footballers is a great way of taking your mind off the blood on your hands.

I'm worried about the Everton, Sunderland and City games.

They are all potential pitfalls. We need Newcastle to at least hold City to a draw.
ame here.

I am massively confident and we must win it from here but can't celebrate just yet. If we win against Wigan and then against Villa I will feel much better.

BTW, just saw the RVP 1-11 interview. RVP is awesome!!

Let's put this into perspective though, City have by far the strongest team in the league and the resources - as well as intent - to further solidify that position in the coming months. All this disappointment will ultimately be the thickest dose of experience they need to mount a greater challenge next year. When the narrative is how City have blown their chance and that surrounding United is how Ferguson managed it with this lot (weakest side for years), it is a bit silly to incite this foreboding sense of doom.

United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all have bigger problems to face this summer than City and nothing they realistically do will see them replace Manchester City as the favourites for the title next year.

LegoArmo

It's a better United side than last year.

Van Der Sar is obviously really hard to replace, but I think as a whole they strengthened over the summer.

So the worst United side in... the past 12 months.

Kyoufu

I don't think City were overhyped at all.

They put 6 past Man United AND led the league for 6 months. SIX MONTHS! That is huge!

They choked in the closing stages. Not overhyped, just inexperienced. Plus they have an incompetent Manager and one hell of a cunt player named Balotelli.

TeegsD

Tomorrow is the big day. Today has managed to calm my nerves with City shooting blanks and United sealing 3 more points. But we are the deciding factor in the portuguese league practically since we still have to face the top 3. If we lose and Benfica ends up taking the league, I'm going to be one sad panda.

Dibbz

United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all have bigger problems to face this summer than City and nothing they realistically do will see them replace Manchester City as the favourites for the title next year.

Really? United and Arsenal only need a few good signings in a couple of positions and both will be very strong contenders. Chelsea are unpredictable since they don't even know who will manage them next season so there is no way to know which way they will go and Liverpool, well.

City whilst they may look to have a strong squad, past the first 11 they are average. Of course they have the ability to spend like crazy but they've done that for a few years and what is there to show for it?

It's always been on the cards for City to have a magnificent collapse. The first time City came under the slightest bit of pressure and they buckled. Will they rectify this next year? Maybe, maybe not.

Clegg

It's a better United side than last year.

Van Der Sar is obviously really hard to replace, but I think as a whole they strenthened over the summer.

So the worst United side in... the past 12 months.

Uniteds away form has been brilliant this season.

Just compare it to last year where we only won 5 times. We've already won 10 away games this season.

We're better than last season, but still we're not ultra convincing.

Let's put this into perspective though, City have by far the strongest team in the league and the resources - as well as intent - to further solidify that position in the coming months. All this disappointment will ultimately be the thickest dose of experience they need to mount a greater challenge next year. When the narrative is how City have blown their chance and that surrounding United is how Ferguson managed it with this lot (weakest side for years), it is a bit silly to incite this foreboding sense of doom.

Our team was worse last year IMO.

City will get better. The main thing for me is that United do too. We can only control what happens at our own club, improving is all that matters going into a new season. This United team is still very young and fresh, so with Vidic back and hopefully signings in the right positions, I'll be happy and optimistic once again.

And the same is true for all the other clubs, all they will look to do is improve, and you have to say, they can't get much worse.

Also, I don't really think anybody is inciting a "foreboding sense of doom". Everybody knows City have a good team and will be strong next season again. Don't think anybody has suggested otherwise.

LegoArmo

That Chelsea side that finished second last year was a lot worse than this City side too. Plus the promoted teams are a lot better this season than last and Spurs and Newcastle are much improved. I don't get people saying the league as a whole has got weaker.

El Tigre

Tomorrow is the big day. Today has managed to calm my nerves with City shooting blanks and United sealing 3 more points. But we are the deciding factor in the portuguese league practically since we still have to face the top 3. If we lose and Benfica ends up taking the league, I'm going to be one sad panda.

I'm pulling for you guys tomorrow!

Fintan

United fans, taking into account that you're likely to win the title, how do you view this season overall? Obviously European performance and domestic cup performance wasn't good but are you happy with the season as a whole? I think that your team has improved overall over last season so I'm not sure what led to the early European exits.

United fans, taking into account that you're likely to win the title, how do you view this season overall? Obviously European performance and domestic cup performance wasn't good but are you happy with the season as a whole? I think that your team has improved overall over last season so I'm not sure what led to the early European exits.

To be honest English sides have done poorly in the UCL this year. Could be a sign of a weaker league than previous years

LegoArmo

I think underestimating opponents and the lack of Paul Scholes and Vidic is what caused the early European exit (Champions League).

Winning the title is what it's all about, it's a test of a team over a long period of games, and not just 6 (group games) or 2 (knock out ties).

Pretty certain United will make at least the quarter finals next year, anyway.

The league is the bread and butter, it's the most important competition for me so if we win it, I will be overjoyed. It's yet another title, coming back to win it against City will be so great.

Overall, the season is a success, we have won major silverware. However, I won't be carried away, we need and want a better team than this one and for me Manchester United should be battling for at least 2 trophies every season and probably even 3. We have done that for most of the last 5 seasons and it should have been the same this year. Europe was a total disaster and after such brilliant European runs over the last few seasons, it sucks we're not in the mix this year, I feel it now the CL is reaching the semi's and the fixtures are massive games.

But, there's alot for me to be happy about. It was a year in which alot changed in the team. We had a new GK which is a big change and challenge and alot of younger players were introduced and given responsibility. All of them have impressed me and I can see them improving alot over the coming years, this is a good experience for them, especially if they win the title.

Everybody will say, ahh, a rubbish United team won the title. That's fine by me, because I am certain it will only get stronger and better, hopefully with some additions in the summer. I'm happy with how it's gone, but yes, the bar needs to be raised again. Next year we have to be just as good in the league, we cannot afford to lose any home league games and we need to get to the CL semi's at least. Also, the football needs to improve.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I still think Madrid will win La Liga, but it's good that the gap has closed. 10pts was not even close to the level of both teams. To me, they are pretty much equal right now.

panty

I'm still pissed off at the draw. We should've won. Valencia was good and they had a few solid attempts but we had probably closer to 70% ball possession and were almost constantly pushing forward.

Now I'm sitting at an airport, waiting to departure. Fuckken tireeeed.

dschalter

Guys, let's not forget about UEFAs Financial Fair Play rules next year! Lol what a joke.

people act like ffp is some noble idea that is a front for doing nothing, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is implemented with some force- it's excellent for most of the established big clubs and those it hurts most (the sugar daddies) don't actually have that much clout.

Kyoufu

I'm still pissed off at the draw. We should've won. Valencia was good and they had a few solid attempts but we had probably closer to 70% ball possession and were almost constantly pushing forward.

Now I'm sitting at an airport, waiting to departure. Fuckken tireeeed.

As Swansea found out on Friday, possession means nothing without an ASSASSIN.

people act like ffp is some noble idea that is a front for doing nothing, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is implemented with some force- it's excellent for most of the established big clubs and those it hurts most (the sugar daddies) don't actually have that much clout.
All it is going to do is create a larger fissure between the big clubs and the rest of the teams. And it discourages potential buyers that would want to invest heavily in a club because they can't anymore. It isn't going to work as intended.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
shit happens, sometimes you face a team where the keeper has the game of his life and stops everything and anything thrown at him. happened to us against sevilla at the camp nou earlier in the season.

Winning the league is most important, and that too beating what was an excellent title challenge by Mancini is even better.

Europe has been a total disaster though. We got too complacent, tried playing the same way as in PL and it sucked.

The team definitely needs some work too, but winning the tile without having Vidic is a big step. I am still concerned about our continuing reliance on Scholes and Giggs. As much as I love them, we can't rely on them in every game. I do think we are winning a title with a team that any other manager would struggle to finish with in a top 3.

I am very excited for next season. It will be interesting to see how next season goes with Cleverly back, Pogba maybe used more. Add Carrick's play this season, we might get back to having a world class mid field. Still would like to get an nice creative midfieldier.

Also, time to sell Berbatov, he is being wasted in his current state at United.

Lightning

Banned
shit happens, sometimes you face a team where the keeper has the game of his life and stops everything and anything thrown at him. happened to us against sevilla at the camp nou earlier in the season.
That Sevilla keeper played the game of his career that day. He was just unbelieveable....

Salazar

I told u Scholesy should shoot from outside the box, Viva.

Seriously, though. 10 men or no, some of his passing was divine.

Salazar

Horrible bastard who has done fuck-all in the game coming out with potential career-enders.

It doesn't even have to be late in the game for him to do his violent sulky mentalist act.

Not a single fucking chance he can get in a World Cup or Euro side picked by a responsible manager.

GorillaJu

The real misconception about FFP is that it is primarily to make the playing field more even. It has nothing to do with protecting the football success of smaller clubs or bigger ones.

It's to prevent the inevitable financial crash that will happen if things continue on such an unsustainable path.

Lightning

Banned
Watching the highlights of the other games.

Everton vs Norwich was an awesome, exciting game. I thought it would be a bore... but no.

Oh man are Blackburn bad. They are so bad. They deserve relegation due to how they are playing...

I just watched the Liverpool highlights. WOW just fucking WOW at that referee. Liverpool deserved at least 1 penalty probably 2... they were fucking all over aston villa. Looking at it again now and still cant believe it WTF????

feel

So bummed out about Madrid.. Dammit DiMaria why you gotta choke like that on that great chance near the end. Just punt it in like Romario.. :(

elsk

Banned
Looks like Bayern - Manchester United and Barcelona - Ajax are the semi finals in the U17 Cup posted early. They're playing on monday 9 (today for some of you guys).

ElyrionX

I don't want to sound like I'm settling for 2nd best but I think City fans can be proud in the fact they challenged for the title this season. It's City's first title challenge since 1978. Shock horror, THEY FINISH SECOND to a well oiled machine.

They've broke all kinds of records, more than you can shake a stick at. And they've been entertaining for many months.

City should have won this title - but it's not played on paper. But if United go on to win it now theres only one from nineteen other teams that can honestly say 'we challenged for that title'

Manchester City.

How long did Chelsea take to challenge for or even win the title?

Salazar

It's weird to act like there is a continuity between clubs being bicycle-pumped into relevance by oil tycoons and pre-Premier League seasons. This shit is still abnormal.

Ashes

Banned
I don't want to sound like I'm settling for 2nd best but I think City fans can be proud in the fact they challenged for the title this season. It's City's first title challenge since 1978. Shock horror, THEY FINISH SECOND to a well oiled machine.

They've broke all kinds of records, more than you can shake a stick at. And they've been entertaining for many months.

City should have won this title - but it's not played on paper. But if United go on to win it now theres only one from nineteen other teams that can honestly say 'we challenged for that title'

Manchester City.

er, no. Pretty sure United were favourites at the beginning of the season.

Regardless, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Admittedly, she can be heard warming up in the background.

The difference is 2 wins and a draw better than United for City to win the league. And City have to play us. So basically after that United have to lose once and draw once in the remaining fixtures with City cleaning up.

Everton-City-Swansea-Sunderland. < Utd could lose and draw in any of these games...

This title race ain't over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom