• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Watching Villa. Heard the words 'Stephen Ireland'. Who remembers when he was good?

Who remembers when he played for Newcastle?

It's how I would have comforted myself ;)
Yeah they are, shame about Ba though...apparently in the BBC report he 'stormed' off when he was subbed. I hope he doesn't let his head drop but it's been about 8 games for him without a goal now, he doesn't get the chances playing on the left but why would Pardew change what is clearly a winning formula?

I hope Pardew lets Ba know why he's playing a bit out of position. This is working and it's for a good cause so while I understand Ba's frustration, he needs to realise that this is for the success the team deserves. Next season Ba can probably look at playing in his normal position up front with Cisse as it should be.

I wonder if Newcastle would be in this position had Barton stayed?

If Barton stayed then he would still be RM and Ben Arfa would probably be benched most of the time, thus we would not be seeing his godly talent.

Carbonox

The question is if we'll lose anything by selling Ba in the summer and who would we replace him with...

Ba said he wants to stay not that long ago. He and his family are happy in Newcastle. He's just going through a rough patch and understandably is showing his frustration. He's still a first-teamer in terms of his contributions to the play, despite not scoring. He's too good to go.

dc89

Man City sure have a talent for producing half season wonderkids in midfield (who are mental).

Joey Barton
Stephen Ireland
Michael Johnson

The next Colin Bell. That's what City fans used to call him.

His talent was there for everyone to see. Remember this and this. Two very different but equally brilliant goals. More potential than Tom Cleverley in my eyes.

God damn it.

Ba said he wants to stay not that long ago. He and his family are happy in Newcastle. He's just going through a rough patch and understandably is showing his frustration. He's still a first-teamer in terms of his contributions to the play, despite not scoring. He's too good to go.

He needs a rest, but he wants to play every game.

The next Colin Bell. That's what City fans used to call him.

His talent was there for everyone to see. Remember this and this.

God damn it.

Last time I saw him he was 15 stone. Granted he was injured and had other problems. Think he's been out on loan since. Certainly seems a case where a player was given money and not looked after on how to spend it.

dc89

Yes. He was at Leicester until January, made 9 appearances. He made his return to action for City reserves in March and apparently scored a brilliant chipped shot.

Last time I saw him play was against Scunthorpe. He scored a brilliant goal.

homekit_JOHNSON.ashx

He has lost a bit of weight but, I don't think we will ever see him fulfill his potential.

0,,10274~9877526,00.jpg

Kyoufu

I don't know what Pardew did but Ben Arfa is a changed player. Remember earlier in the season? I was so pissed off at him when he didn't pass or defend. Now he's our own Ginola (except Ben Arfa defends and Ginola doesn't lol).

I don't know what Pardew did but Ben Arfa is a changed player. Remember earlier in the season? I was so pissed off at him when he didn't pass or defend. Now he's our own Ginola (except Ben Arfa defends and Ginola doesn't lol).

Yeah I remember, what he did was leave him out a couple of times (presumably to make him work on being less selfish) so that he had to work his way back into the squad by making him more of a team player. Looked like it worked.

Carbonox

Aye he was a frustrating player. I guess after Ben Arfa declared himself to have matured (probably from a Pardew bollocking), he changed how he plays on the pitch. Now he's a bona fide first-teamer for the club and I wouldn't drop him for anyone. His performance against West Brom was sublime and just shows how he can score and set up goals.

elseanio

When do you mean? Didn't he surfer a leg break last season? Would expect any player to take a few games to get back to their potential after a serious injury.

Everyone at Villa Park just stood up and clapped while the big board displayed a 'Support Stan #19" display at the 19th minute.

He got a round of applause for the whole 19th minute at Anfield on Saturday too. (Not sure if it came across on TV)

Kyoufu

When do you mean? Didn't he surfer a leg break last season? Would expect any player to take a few games to get back to their potential after a serious injury.

He wasn't fully fit but he was still frustrating to watch. He didn't defend, pass the ball, or do anything worthwhile.

This is the rational belief. Have to give player time to come back from that injury. Not just to get their legs back into action, but their belief too.

Carbonox

Yeah but before he stepped up to the plate during the last couple of months, he could no longer use that leg break as an excuse for his poor performances and lack of help for his team - he was too greedy, made the wrong decisions because of this and was too lazy to help track back. For the first couple of months of this season, I could understand him being below par though, especially after getting another injury in the summer, but around autumn/winter time, he started to get more time (albeit from the bench) and still did nowt to help the team.

Now, he's doing everything and more, and is now one of the first names on the team sheet. He's improved in every manner. He's a true team player and can still go on dazzling runs.

Man, how can West Ham do everything right one match, only to undo all that good work the next? We actually were set up to play positive, attacking football with lots of neat passing and using our wing players effectively earlier in the week. Now we're back to strikers playing out of position and no movement on the wings, being punished for lazy possession and lackadaisical defending. How many more times is Allardyce going to watch one of his negative home sides crumble and concede before he realises that we need to take it to the visitors more.

Man, how can West Ham do everything right one match, only to undo all that good work the next? We actually were set up to play positive, attacking football with lots of neat passing and using our wing players effectively earlier in the week. Now we're back to strikers playing out of position and no movement on the wings, being punished for lazy possession and lackadaisical defending. How many more times is Allardyce going to watch one of his negative home sides crumble and concede before he realises that we need to take it to the visitors more.

The classic banter that you'll hear about Big Sam's time at Newcastle is when he was preparing the team for a game. He spent 20 minutes going into fine detail where everyone should stand to close down certain players and force the play.
They knew who to mark tight, who to stand off, who to press. Who tackle and who to show. Players knew the ins and outs of the opposition and how they'd attack. They even knew which player to isolate and to win the ball from.

One player spoke out: "What do we do when we have the ball."

"Hit it forward." said Big Sam.

Carbonox

The classic banter that you'll hear about Big Sam's time at Newcastle is when he was preparing the team for a game. He spent 20 minutes going into fine detail where everyone should stand to close down certain players and force the play.
They knew who to mark tight, who to stand off, who to press. Who tackle and who to show. Players knew the ins and outs of the opposition and how they'd attack. They even knew which player to isolate and to win the ball from.

I forgot we had that useless lump in charge of us. Thanks for reminding me. :(

The classic banter that you'll hear about Tony Pulis' time at Stoke is when he was preparing the team for a game. He spent 0 minutes going into fine detail where everyone should stand to close down certain players and force the play.
They knew who to mark tight, who to stand off, who to press. Who tackle and just how hard. Players knew the ins and outs of the opposition and how they'd attack. They even knew which player to isolate and who to pry the ball out of their cold dead hands from.

"Hit it forward." said Pulis.

Fixed for Stoke

ElyrionX

Add me if you want to play against NUFC for a change. Aren't you from Singapore or something? Our connection should be Lag free.

What's your gamertag? Mine is ElyrionX. Add me.

And yes, I am from Singapore. Not sure if you remember this but I used to be from that local forum Gamersquare. I know you were called Sion-something there, right?

scarybore

Damn, that's a cracker.

Jesus, at least we didn't keep him around for long. Feel bad for the West Ham fans having him forced upon them, he encourages the most dire football. Good to see Chris Hughton and Birmingham doing a solid job considering the amount of games they have had to play this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom