• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

1-1 Dempsey

untitled-6jexyq.gif

untitled-75ozee.gif

THE DEUCE! Dude is having one helluva season.. one for the ages for us Yanks.

Hughes! That was close.

*goal gifs by SunhiLegend

My brother is loving those, he's at work but he can watch those gifs, both of us thank you for them. :)

No problem, that's what they're there for :)

Was it Terry who shot Torres with the ball?

It looked like "stop messing up!"

I thought that was funny, he lost the ball, ran back to retrieve it and the ball is booted straight back at him.

untitled-5nvbmi.gif

Nice.
Still, I hope he keeps both out of the starting 11.
Großkreutz has been awful in the last match, but he's probably our best option defensively (if not for his co-play with Schmelzer). While the new & improved Kuba together with Piszczek will give Ribbery hell (hopefully).
I'd sub Götze if we were facing defeat, even if Großkreutz is worse off than vs. Wolfsburg, Perisic could still be the better option.
I'm not so sure about the midfield though. Bender & Kehl is our standard option vs. offensive-minded teams, but Bender is still far from 100% while Gündogan is in beast-mode atm. So even with his occasional def. mistakes he's probably the better option next to Kehl.

Schmelzer is (almost) only half the player without Großkreutz. Großkreutz is a must for me, otherwise Robben could totally fuck us.

I didn't really like Kehl in the last few matches that much, he seemed a bit shaky. A fit Bender would be very important. Bender + Gündogan for me, but I totally trust Klopp to choose the best two because I don't have training impressions and can't say who is in the better form.

Götze will be the super sub, I can see him getting in for Kagawa after about 60 minutes if Shinji's not having his best day and the match is still undecided. Or later for Kuba or Großkreutz when they are tired.

Slizz

Announcers were just saying that Dempsey's goal might go down as an OG. I don't get it, I know it deflected of Cahill's back and went in, but like what can Cahill do when a ball rolls off your back on a corner? Is it an OG because without the deflection the ball might have been wide?

Hixx

Announcers were just saying that Dempsey's goal might go down as an OG. I don't get it, I know it deflected of Cahill's back and went in, but like what can Cahill do when a ball rolls off your back on a corner? Is it an OG because without the deflection the ball might have been wide?

Yep. It did look like it was going wide, would like to see it again.

Kyoufu

The ref said the guy on the left (don't know his name) clipped Kalou down, not Murphy.

Very lucky for Chelsea. Too bad you're 6th though lol

dschalter

The ref said the guy on the left (don't know his name) clipped Kalou down, not Murphy.

Very lucky for Chelsea. Too bad you're 6th though with Arsenal still to play hahaha

kelly, but that's actually just hearsay as of now, so shouldn't just be accepted as true.

Slizz

Kalou looks like he fell over the ball there. Murphy made clear contact with the ball from that angle

Murphy got a lot of the ball, but the referee was basically right below that camera angle and I'm assuming its the jerky 2 footed lunge in that got it. If that second foot didn't hit the ground it could have been an ugly tackle, I don't know why he didn't jus slide in if hes gonna go to ground.

EDIT: he could make a more effective tackle just doing a Mortal Kombat leg sweep from that distance.

Kyoufu

I agree it was a stupid decision for Murphy to go in 2 footed. Looked like a penalty to me in real time.

Shame refs don't have replay tech.

Hahaha I was wrong. Happy to be wrong as Chelsea drop points and with any luck we will bury their dream of 4th in our match!!!!!

You better.

Fady K

Chelsea....how many times did you lead this season and then concede due to pathetic defending in the last 10 minutes? You're killing me here, I swear.

Acidote

Málaga C.F. will sleep at least for two nights in the third position of La Liga. Quite a difference from last year's performance. Those petrodollars.

Kyoufu

Chelsea....how many times did you lead this season and then concede due to pathetic defending in the last 10 minutes? You're killing me here, I swear.

As much as I love you Fady, I'm really happy they dropped points here. What would you think of not making it into Europe next season?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Thank you based Dempsey. We cling to fourth for another week. Going to be an interesting semi-final on Sunday, both Chelsea and Spurs will likely be missing players due to inury/suspension/looming Barcelona game.

We have some tough fixtures coming up. Wolves, Stoke away before Chelsea at home. It could go down to the last game of the season deciding 3rd place

Tim Krul said 'Hatem Messi Ben Arfa' on twitter. hehe

Kieran Colton on Twitter: "Said it before and I'll say it again. people need to stop comparing Ben Arfa with Messi. He's good, but he's no Ben Arfa."

Fady K

As much as I love you Fady, I'm really happy they dropped points here. What would you think of not making it into Europe next season?

It's understandable bro, you need your team to get as many points as possible, natural and fair. I think Chelsea will not make it, and honestly, will not deserve to with performances like these. I'm just really hurt at how they keep conceding after leading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom