• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

I think that all depends on Friday's game against Reading, though, right?

Reading will go level on points with you with a game in hand, but you're 6 points clear of 3rd place, so even if Reading beat you you're still in automatic promotion position. Just depends on how the remainder of the season goes but Southampton are pretty much set on dominating the fizzy pop league.

Carbonox

um... that's me you're teaching, lol

Shit, sorry, haha. Your post was so close to your previous one as I was breezing through comments that I didn't realise. :lol

But yes, you'll need to learn the rule of expectations at some point! :p Especially when results don't go your way when they should do. D:

AqEqGrSCAAE5PFT.jpg

expectations will be back where they belong soon

It blows my mind, in fact, that Dalglish actually and repeatedly uses the word "conspiracy".

To paraphrase: if they don't want anybody to think there's conspiracy/corruption, they should apologise for and explain the reasons for the decisions that they get wrong.

Is there a problem with saying that? Anyone with a brain has been saying for years that referees should be made more accountable for poor decisions, and the circumstances that lead to these poor decisions should be made clear.

FootballFan

Yeah it's pretty messed up bro! Look at my post above to Woodenlung for another amazing referee blunder at the Premier League. BTW what did you think of last night's game? HATS OFF TO VALENCIA - and DAT KEEPER!!!! Can't believe he was able to not fall for any of the diving. They are lucky they did not get carded even - when Messi dove last he got a yellow.

Awesome game. The amount of chances was insane, to think that it ended scoreless is quite incredible. I wish Tino Costa scored that long ranger(hit the cross bar), he is one of my fav players in La Liga(outside of Barca players).
Guaita was amazing in goal for Valencia, not as good as Varas'(Sevilla GK) performance against us though, but still fantastic.
Messi dive? What is this nonsense you speak of Fady.

Dat Hatem Ben Messi goal.

Salazar

If Everton beat Liverpool in the semi final then I REALLY REALLY wouldn't be surprised if he got sacked lol.

At which point the howls for Rafa rise to a deafening pitch and go on for weeks.

Alternatively, they install a caretaker who manages to scratch a couple of results, and when they boot him in the summer for some other bloke, he will go down in the club's folk history as (Another) Man Who Could But Was Never Given The Chance.

Arnie

At which point the howls for Rafa rise to a deafening pitch and go on for weeks.

Alternatively, they install a caretaker who manages to scratch a couple of results, and when they boot him in the summer for some other bloke, he will go down in the club's folk history as (Another) Man Who Could But Was Never Given The Chance.

Don't really understand the bolded, could you clarify?

Even if we get beaten by Everton and finish 9th, I still want to see Kenny given another season. If we sacked him who would we bring in? Rafa won't be coming back, that's just a pipe dream spouted by sentimental fools like myself.

And you wouldn't believe it but under Kenny we have played nice football; we just had a Summer of intense restructuring that's stopped us from continuing that. Sell Carroll, buy a proper goalscorer to partner Suarez and get a creative midfielder to link the attack and defence.

Football's too reactionary nowadays. Kenny deserves another season in charge, even if he doesn't get us the FA Cup. Let's see how his signings do in their second season and if things really haven't come together then agree to part ways.

Kenny has to go. He just has to.
Honestly I disagree. This sums up my feelings pretty well.

Sloosha

Can't see it myself. Aw well, every team has there down points, granted ours consists of FA Cup and ECL semi finals, but how we got there is beyond me. Onward and upward.

Then backwards and downwards again - seems to be in keeping with our sinusoidal trajectory this season. What do you think our best starting 11 is Kyle? Form seems to be all over the place this season.

If you're referring to Rafa with that, I think its pretty obvious to everyone that he was guven a chance, the problem we have is that 6 years of good service was made null and void because of one poor season, and we went straight to a manager who is a joke by comparison

GorillaJu

Even if we get beaten by Everton and finish 9th, I still want to see Kenny given another season. If we sacked him who would we bring in? Rafa won't be coming back, that's just a pipe dream spouted by sentimental fools like myself.

And you wouldn't believe it but under Kenny we have played nice football; we just had a Summer of intense restructuring that's stopped us from continuing that. Sell Carroll, buy a proper goalscorer to partner Suarez and get a creative midfielder to link the attack and defence.

Football's too reactionary nowadays. Kenny deserves another season in charge, even if he doesn't get us the FA Cup. Let's see how his signings do in their second season and if things really haven't come together then agree to part ways.

You admit that football is reactionary yet you want to sell Carroll? We're building a squad here, we need the players with potential and Andy is one of them. He should be third choice and be a cup starter and a league sub while he finds his form, and a real strike partner for Suarez is brought in, Carroll being another option, not the primary one.

But he's cheap to keep, and we wouldn't get jack shit for him in a transfer, so why would we sell him?

When we send off Maxi, Kuyt and Joe Cole, we'll have recovered a lot of wage money. We can use that for a new striker.

And Kenny doesn't have to go. Where do people go thinking that after every run of bad results, the proper decision is to rage sack your manager? We aren't fucking Chelsea. Once again, Kenny may leave this summer but he's not going to be sacked mid season.

Bo-Locks

Hillsborough nonsense rears its ugly head once again. Alan Davies said in his podcast that he believes the Liverpool-Everton semi-final should be played on Sun April 15th, and they should not be allowed to change the date. He's now got Liverpool fans giving him shit on Twitter.

I suppose if he reports them to the Police half of Mersyside is about to get locked up.

The Podcast
Twitter

Arnie

You admit that football is reactionary yet you want to sell Carroll? We're building a squad here, we need the players with potential and Andy is one of them. He should be third choice and be a cup starter and a league sub while he finds his form, and a real strike partner for Suarez is brought in, Carroll being another option, not the primary one.

But he's cheap to keep, and we wouldn't get jack shit for him in a transfer, so why would we sell him?

When we send off Maxi, Kuyt and Joe Cole, we'll have recovered a lot of wage money. We can use that for a new striker.

I don't believe Carroll has potential. Honestly. The lad's completely uncomfortable playing in the style we want to play, and that isn't going to change in a season. He's grown up playing in a certain way, and it isn't down on the ground and into feet. The only reason people are confused about whether we should keep him is because of the price we paid rather than the talent he's got. And I think it's time to accept he was a huge mistake and that we'll make a big loss on him. Which should come out of Comolli's wage (joking).

If Carroll cost £5 million everyone would be happy to sell him to a team like Norwich, or Aston Villa. Ask yourself the question, is Carroll any better than David N'Gog? Because I'd wager that we saw as much from N'Gog as we have from Carroll, and everyone was happy to sell N'Gog to Bolton.

It's probably that he's not that great a footballer.
See this just isn't true.

Maxi was shipping goals for fun last season, and when he's played this year he's looked head and shoulders better than say, Kuyt, or Henderson on the right. And he's come up with important goals, again, like the one against Chelsea in the Carling Cup.

To answer your question Hitcher, yes, I think perhaps there's been some sour words because when we've been on a run as barren as our's it's hard to understand why a player of Maxi's goal scoring fortune isn't getting any minutes.

Kyoufu

And Kenny doesn't have to go. Where do people go thinking that after every run of bad results, the proper decision is to rage sack your manager? We aren't fucking Chelsea. Once again, Kenny may leave this summer but he's not going to be sacked mid season.

I would normally agree with this. I don't like to see managers getting sacked after just one poor season, but this is Kenny Dalglish we're talking about here. He was shit at Newcastle and he's shit at Liverpool too. Really hated him when he was managing us. Ugh.

It's in your best interests to get rid of him.

GorillaJu

I don't believe Carroll has potential. Honestly. The lad's completely uncomfortable playing in the style we want to play, and that isn't going to change in a season. He's grown up playing in a certain way, and it isn't down on the ground and into feet. The only reason people are confused about whether we should keep him is because of the price we paid rather than the talent he's got. And I think it's time to accept he was a huge mistake and that we'll make a big loss on him. Which should come out of Comolli's wage (joking).

If Carroll cost £5 million everyone would be happy to sell him to a team like Norwich, or Aston Villa. Ask yourself the question, is Carroll any better than David N'Gog? Because I'd wager that we saw as much from N'Gog as we have from Carroll, and everyone was happy to sell N'Gog to Bolton.

Carroll is quite a bit better than N'Gog. I don't see a reason to sell him. I like having the battering ram option if all else fails.

Hillsborough nonsense rears its ugly head once again. Alan Davies said in his podcast that he believes the Liverpool-Everton semi-final should be played on Sun April 15th, and they should not be allowed to change the date. He's now got Liverpool fans giving him shit on Twitter.

I suppose if he reports them to the Police half of Mersyside is about to get locked up.

The Podcast
Twitter

Burn him at the stake!

Or something like that, I think his point is entirely fair if that's what he has said but I haven't listened to it. The problem is people are jumped upon so quickly for anything regarding Hillborough which is why I tend to keep quiet on it.

Messi

How do you guys feel about cold pizza? As in letting it cool off and then eating it the next morning?

I love to do this (I dont get to do it anymore with my weight :( ) but a "Friend" of mine is horrified by the idea of it.

I venture that it may even be nicer than hot pizza.

Kyoufu

How do you guys feel about cold pizza? As in letting it cool off and then eating it the next morning?

I love to do this (I dont get to do it anymore with my weight :( ) but a "Friend" of mine is horrified by the idea of it.

It's absolutely nasty.

Though down here in Watford, Pizza of any temperature is nasty :(

Cold pasta is awesome though.

sneaky77

cold of the fridge no, cold of just leaving it out sometimes, I usually heat it at least 15 secs on the microwave though.

Messi

I expected more from you guys :(

I will only except true answers from Yurt (He is Italian right? you would think so)

cold of the fridge no, cold of just leaving it out sometimes, I usually heat it at least 15 secs on the microwave though.

Being left out in a box on the counter, no fridge.

Sloosha

Cold pizza when I'm feeling lazy. Reheated is never the same.

Crushed red pepper on pizza is a must for me.

Arnie

Burn him at the stake!

Or something like that, I think his point is entirely fair if that's what he has said but I haven't listened to it. The problem is people are jumped upon so quickly for anything regarding Hillborough which is why I tend to keep quiet on it.

The thing with that video is(and I've listened to it) it's akin to somebody spending 8 minutes taking the piss out of one of your family members. Even if he's making some sense beneath the vitriol, which he is, I still just want to headbutt him.

Now that's me; I'd like to think I'm quite a well mannered person, generally, at least when the football's not on. I can't imagine the sort of shit he's been getting from LFC fans less inclined to stop and take a breather.

GorillaJu

I would normally agree with this. I don't like to see managers getting sacked after just one poor season, but this is Kenny Dalglish we're talking about here. He was shit at Newcastle and he's shit at Liverpool too. Really hated him when he was managing us. Ugh.

It's in your best interests to get rid of him.

Newcastle fans may (understandably) not like him but Liverpool fans idolize him. He was a wildly successful player and player-manager for us and is one of the most revered figures at the club. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that he's lost the dressing room and it's likely that the owners are understanding of his plight. We don't care what Newcastle fans think or want – if Kenny is the best option for Liverpool FC then we really don't have a choice!

There's also the fact that everyone seems to overlook which is that he isn't the only one to blame for our bad results. What goes on behind closed doors is unknown to the rest of us. Kenny has always, always defended the players and used himself as a shield to deflect the criticism. This has put him first in the firing line for shit slinging and blame – commendable, especially when Mancini shows how easy it is to lay all your problems at your underperforming striker's feet.

I don't agree with a lot of his decisions over the season: the Suarez t-shirts, the ornery, nippy press conferences, some player choices and substitutes. But I'm not there at Melwood or in the dressing room so I don't think I'm one to judge.

And I don't really care about finding someone to blame. I'll keep supporting, whether we're a shower of shit of a shower of diarrhea.

And Maxi really isn't that good. He hit a good run of form when our team was playing creatively and dynamically. I wouldn't mind seeing him get more minutes but I do think you're overrating him, Arnie.

YES. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS IN THE WORLD.

Also, do not sell Carroll to Aston Villa. We still have standards. Or aspire to.

Kyoufu

Newcastle fans may (understandably) not like him but Liverpool fans idolize him. He was a wildly successful player and player-manager for us and is one of the most revered figures at the club. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that he's lost the dressing room and it's likely that the owners are understanding of his plight. We don't care what Newcastle fans think or want – if Kenny is the best option for Liverpool FC then we really don't have a choice!

There's also the fact that everyone seems to overlook which is that he isn't the only one to blame for our bad results. What goes on behind closed doors is unknown to the rest of us. Kenny has always, always defended the players and used himself as a shield to deflect the criticism. This has put him first in the firing line for shit slinging and blame – commendable, especially when Mancini shows how easy it is to lay all your problems at your underperforming striker's feet.

I don't agree with a lot of his decisions over the season: the Suarez t-shirts, the ornery, nippy press conferences, some player choices and substitutes. But I'm not there at Melwood or in the dressing room so I don't think I'm one to judge.

And I don't really care about finding someone to blame. I'll keep supporting, whether we're a shower of shit of a shower of diarrhea.

And Maxi really isn't that good. He hit a good run of form when our team was playing creatively and dynamically. I wouldn't mind seeing him get more minutes but I do think you're overrating him, Arnie.

Then I hope Dalglish can get some good signings next season because the current crop aren't good enough.

Time will tell if Dalglish can handle modern football. I admire your support for him and the club, so I wish you guys good luck! :)

I would never reheat a pizza.

It ruins the pizza crust. :(

If you reheat it in a pan on the stove then it'll be just as good as you got it originally :)

Lightning

Banned
I am rooting for Spurs to win the FA cup. Everton would be okay as we'll. I will be pissed if either Liverpool or especially Chelsea won it.

Kyoufu

I am rooting for Spurs to win the FA cup. Everton would be okay as we'll. I will be pissed if either Liverpool or especially Chelsea won it.

Why would you root for a London club to win it? That'd mean Spurs would have won more silverware than you this season. Silly!

Arnie

I probably am, that's the situation we're in currently I suppose. I'm looking to Jonjo Shelvey for a glimmer of hope, for example. I want to see the season end sooner rather than later. JONGOD will save us.

*Kpop gif

GorillaJu

Messi, reheating pizza is sacrilege. Opening your refrigerator on a lazy Saturday morning to find 2-3 slices of pizza is the only thing better than finding money in the pockets of your laundry. Cold pizza is what god made on the 8th day.

dschalter

So Kenny shouldn't be blamed as much... because Liverpool spent a ton during the summer? That's an explanation that I don't think I can get behind. As for being a legend of the club and such, that is certainly true, but times changes and Liverpool can always just pay him millions to be somewhere upstairs if there is a sense of needing to pay what is owed.

Lightning

Banned
Why would you root for a London club to win it? That'd mean Spurs would have won more silverware than you this season. Silly!
Because I don't have any animosity towards Spurs. I support Arsenal, yes, but we weren't good enough and are now out so why not back Spurs?

The only reason I am happy when they lose in the league is to make things easier for us incase we happen to lose as well. In the FA cup we are out so it's fair game.

feel

IMO cold pizza is terrible. But if you're gonna be lazy and ruin it by heating it up in the microwave you might as well eat it cold I guess.

Arnie

So Kenny shouldn't be blamed as much... because Liverpool spent a ton during the summer? That's an explanation that I don't think I can get behind. As for being a legend of the club and such, that is certainly true, but times changes and Liverpool can always just pay him millions to be somewhere upstairs if there is a sense of needing to pay what is owed.

Not at all. I'm not arguing that the spending is helping Kenny's cause, I'm saying that Kenny has earned the right to see his investment through past a single season.

We restructured majorly last summer, and whilst some of it looks to have been a mistake (Carroll, Downing), there have been moments where the rest of it has come together. Liverpool haven't been shit all season, we've shown signs of quality, but a lot of our momentum has been lost through specifically poor results, bad runs and, without sounding like Doicare, losing our best player and lynchpin in November.

It's easy to forget context, forget moments in history that have shown why giving a manager time can reap rewards, forget mitigating factors and specific circumstance. When you look at this recent run it's really easy for the modern football fan to just say, "scrap it, sack him, get a better manager". But I want to see a different approach. I'm tired of constant change.

AqEqGrSCAAE5PFT.jpg

expectations will be back where they belong soon
Harry would do well to coach more and talk less.

Then backwards and downwards again - seems to be in keeping with our sinusoidal trajectory this season. What do you think our best starting 11 is Kyle? Form seems to be all over the place this season.
I honestly couldn't pick a best 11. It seems like the same starting line-up never works two games in a row.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I think our club has so many players of different styles that it's hardto put together a team that think and operate as one.

What 11 do you have in mind yourself? I'll think on it and get back to you.

Cold pizza is great, especially home-made cold pizza. I'm going to make pizza tomorrow now.

Cold pasta is also fantastic. And cold quiche, cold spanish omelette, cold pie.

Microwaves are the work of the devil, absolutely awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom