• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Guys I think I am in love with Misfits. I just finished season 2 episode 4. This show is so great its not even funny. Everyone needs to watch it. First season was amazing, second season has been even better.

GorillaJu

Fuck me, 10 million in a year. If I had that much money... shit, forget two chicks I'd do THREE chicks at the same time. Maybe even more.

Fuck guys, I have drawn the attention of the gods. You should try it some time. It is amazing. I wish I could have some right now. That and a can of coke, just one*

*Has not had any coca cola in 3 years as I was woefully addicted to it.

I like Coke Zero. But still, at most I only have one 20 oz (591 ml) bottle a day. Unless I'm driving to Chicago, then it is like three of those to keep me awake.

Bumhead

Banned
What he said was "that shit gets on my tits." Classy. Any other team that suffered a disaster is allowed to ask for a postponement. Liverpool aren't getting special treatment.
Edit: dp

But they do still play. Rangers don't refuse to play on the anniversary of the Ibrox disaster. Bradford don't refuse to play on the anniversary of the Bradford fire. Liverpool don't refuse to play on the anniversary of Heysal.

Alan Davis is a twat and his general horrible attitude masks his original point, but he was right in my opinion. I can't see a reason to refuse to play on the 15th. Seems like a particularly poignant date TO play but not to refuse to play.

Kyoufu

So episode 3 of Game of Thrones is out.... nom nom nom.

That will make up for no football today. And no, Blackburn vs Liverpool doesn't count :p

Yen

But they do still play. Rangers don't refuse to play on the anniversary of the Ibrox disaster. Bradford don't refuse to play on the anniversary of the Bradford fire. Liverpool don't refuse to play on the anniversary of Heysal.

Alan Davis is a twat and his general horrible attitude masks his original point, but he was right in my opinion. I can't see a reason to refuse to play on the 15th. Seems like a particularly poignant date TO play but not to refuse to play.
Why should what other teams do influence how Liverpool respect the 96?

GorillaJu

500k? Wow.

What the hell. McLeish and Dalglish get paid much more to send their teams to mid-table...

Yes, exactly - McLeish and Dalglish were paid to send their teams to mid-table. That's the reason they were hired and it's what the managers set out to do. By this bulletproof logic, surely Brendan Rogers and Paul Lambert would be paid more than Mark Hughes, right?

Actually sarcasm aside, McLeish was definitely sent in to keep Villa mid-table. I have no idea how he got the salary that he did, but it's the only one on the table that legit surprises me.

As for Pep, if Chelsea or City sprung for him, you can bet he'd beat out Mourinho. 7.5m is a SHIT ton of money considering he came through the club as a player and a coach, not bought out from another top team.

I believe Liverpool is probably 3rd-ish for highest revenue in the league, I imagine beaten by Chelsea and United, perhaps Arsenal as well, which is why we can afford to pay our manager 4 mil a year and Steven Gerrard 130,000 per week. Dalglish, Benitez, whoever, I reckon we'd pay any manager a great wage because we're a big club with means to do so. It would be expected.

We usually were the club with the higher profile management. Keegan/Dalglish/SBR must have been paid a lot back in the day. How things changed over the past decade :(

Back when Dalglish managed Newcastle, the PL was bringing in only a fraction of the money it does now. Salaries would reflect that. I'm sure Pardew will get a raise, but it won't reach Martin O'Neill's salary, because as good as Newcastle is doing, I don't think it's because of Pardew's management so much as it is the scouting and hiring.

Choc

Banned
Martin O'Neill saved sunderland from relegation

deserves every euro he gets

edit: How much you reckon Shearer was pulling at Newcastle during that stint

Kyoufu

For 9 games? Not much I'd imagine.

I believe Liverpool is probably 3rd-ish for highest revenue in the league, I imagine beaten by Chelsea and United, perhaps Arsenal as well, which is why we can afford to pay our manager 4 mil a year and Steven Gerrard 130,000 per week. Dalglish, Benitez, whoever, I reckon we'd pay any manager a great wage because we're a big club with means to do so. It would be expected.

Will you still be third-ish if you don't qualify for CL?

GorillaJu

His transfer fee to Rovers as a player was the record transfer at the time, so he'd probably been ballin both as a Rovers player and later as Newcastle manager.

Back when Dalglish managed Newcastle, the PL was bringing in only a fraction of the money it does now. Salaries would reflect that. I'm sure Pardew will get a raise, but it won't reach Martin O'Neill's salary, because as good as Newcastle is doing, I don't think it's because of Pardew's management so much as it is the scouting and hiring.
That seems to be very unfair.

For one, I'm sure Pardew is involved in the recruitment processes himself. Secondly, a lot of managers complain when they don't get to sign the players they want to, so if he is being given players that were never his choice, to then manage them so well is impressive.

And although Newcastle have some great players, they are still a team which is better than the sum of its parts. Cisse only arrived in January and Ben Arfa has only hit form in recent weeks (Ben Arfa playing for Pardew is an achievement in itself when you follow his antics in his career). He's been playing with Leon Best up front at times, Perch and Williamson at CB. Obertan on the wing. Pardew has done a remarkable job, Newcastle havent been below 7th since game week 2.

He deserves a lot of the credit.

Edit - Also worth remembering he was an unpopular appointment at the time and he did pretty well with Newcastle last year but the team changed drastically in the summer and so did their style of play...so that's a manager who has got results in 2 entirely different circumstances, under a lot of pressure. Good work.

Hixx

Barring a complete capitulation in the next 5 games, Pardew is undoubtedly the manager of the year.

Someone fetch me a bucket I'm going to be sick.

Bumhead

Banned
Why should what other teams do influence how Liverpool respect the 96?

Well, there's a case to suggest in this case their stubborn policy over it is actively inconveniencing other people. But on a more basic level even than that, I don't see how refusing to play honours or respects anybody.

I don't know, I just find that as time goes on, Liverpools attitude to the disaster becomes more and more abstract, weird and disconnected from reality. A few years ago they refused us permission to hold a minutes silence in memory of the disaster. What the fuck is that?

GorillaJu

That seems to be very unfair.

For one, I'm sure Pardew is involved in the recruitment processes himself. Secondly, a lot of managers complain when they don't get to sign the players they want to, so if he is being given players that were never his choice, to then manage them so well is impressive.

And although Newcastle have some great players, they are still a team which is better than the sum of its parts. Cisse only arrived in January and Ben Arfa has only hit form in recent weeks (Ben Arfa playing for Pardew is an achievement in itself when you follow his antics in his career). He's been playing with Leon Best up front at times, Perch and Williamson at CB. Obertan on the wing. Pardew has done a remarkable job, Newcastle havent been below 7th since game week 2.

He deserves a lot of the credit.

Don't really know in the end, it's just the impression I get from watching interviews and reading news. I guess it's also partly because I like Chris Houghton that I feel that way. I would be stoked to see Birmingham come up and give the Mags a good mauling. Would make the 12/13 season a good one instantly.

Kyoufu

Barring a complete capitulation in the next 5 games, Pardew is undoubtedly the manager of the year.

Someone fetch me a bucket I'm going to be sick.

If it makes you feel any better, I will say MON has done a traffic job at Sunderland.

Don't really know in the end, it's just the impression I get from watching interviews and reading news. I guess it's also partly because I like Chris Houghton that I feel that way. I would be stoked to see Birmingham come up and give the Mags a good mauling. Would make the 12/13 season a good one instantly.

That will happen because we play crap against fizzy pop teams.

Good post Mat, my main bone of contention is what I see as a massive disparity in the handling of the two disasters by the club in present day.

Anyway I always find its a debate that nobody comes out of any better for discussing so best avoided.

GorillaJu

Well, looking at the tables now it's definitely not looking like a foregone conclusion for Birmingham to make the jump.

Good post Mat, my main bone of contention is what I see as a massive disparity in the handling of the two disasters by the club in present day.

I think the fans feel galvanized by the horrible way the press covered the Hillsborough disaster, and more than anything, that aspect of it has carried it full strength into the modern game, and into Liverpool's identity. The fans do handle the two very differently, but the circumstances are very different between them, too.

Keio

For a Finer World
Reading Hunter's book about Barca really underlines how much Pep has done to rebuild from the Rijkaard era. And his success with Barca B before the first team also shows that he has remarkable coaching talent. Also great to read about his methodology.

He and Mou are like the current Barca and Real embodied. We are priviledged to follow that battle.

Pardew has been genius at Newcastle. He's worked to win the fans over, established a solid base and come up with great tactical victories like the Stoke game, ManU at home and the recent Swansea game. As said before, getting Ben Arfa to perform was one incredible feat too.

Choc

Banned
Rumor is chelsea for pep, 60 million over 4 years

would he take it? He said he doesn't want to overstay at Barca and i think like Jose he probably wants to prove himself in another league

I reckon if he wins the UCL, he just might.

Kyoufu

would he take it? He said he doesn't want to overstay at Barca and i think like Jose he probably wants to prove himself in another league

15 million a year? Holy shit...

Keio

For a Finer World

For me Pep at Chelsea would be a nightmare, one of my least fav teams... Then again he probably would offload Terry, Lamps & Drogba to make it manageable. Still, very different culturally to Barca... Interesting!

I can see why they don't want to play on the anniversary, there is an argument for it. There is the flip side also however and there are IMO good reasons to play on the day if need be. This weekened for example.

The problem with Hillsborough is you just can't debate it. Its a very sensitive topic and there are hardly ever any discussions about it which say clean. Usually they get to a point where, if you're not a Liverpool fan, you simply don't understand. That's fair enough I guess, but a lot of people in this country do care about Hillsborough and the effort to get the petition past 100k is testament to that. I think it's sad that people are so often told they don't understand or care when they do, at least as much as they can.

Alan Davies is silly, he had a point but he was vulgar about it. Now he's on Twitter defending himself whilst people tell him he'll get beaten up if he dares enter Liverpool. Just a stupid and sad episode all over.

Yen

Well, there's a case to suggest in this case their stubborn policy over it is actively inconveniencing other people. But on a more basic level even than that, I don't see how refusing to play honours or respects anybody.

I don't know, I just find that as time goes on, Liverpools attitude to the disaster becomes more and more abstract, weird and disconnected from reality. A few years ago they refused us permission to hold a minutes silence in memory of the disaster. What the fuck is that?
Who is it inconveniencing? Chelsea? I imagine Liverpool are slightly more concerned about a Hillsborough memorial service than Chelsea's semi final.

Choc

Banned
They'll fuck him like the others.

for 15 million a year, you'd probably take the fucking!

also

its not like AVB. He has been with one of the best european sides in history. He has the respect already and hopefully the shit AVB put up with does not happen.

The fact that th eplayers actually PLAY now that dimatteo is around says everything. Dimatteo is one of the old boys of that team and so they respect him.....

Bumhead

Banned
Anyway I always find its a debate that nobody comes out of any better for discussing so best avoided.

It shouldn't be like that, though. It is and I agree with you, but I don't like it.

Pep would be mad to go to Chelsea at the minute. If I was him I would be asking for certain assurances to be written into the contract relating to transfer policy etc. If Roman doesn't like it he doesn't get his man.

FootballFan

Reading Hunter's book about Barca really underlines how much Pep has done to rebuild from the Rijkaard era. And his success with Barca B before the first team also shows that he has remarkable coaching talent. Also great to read about his methodology.

He and Mou are like the current Barca and Real embodied. We are priviledged to follow that battle.

Yeah Pep is great. Mou is a damn good coach but I just hate him. Can't stand his bs off the field. When he poked Tito in the eye everyone was "lol"'ing. If Pep or Sir Alex poked an assistant coach in the eye...wow. We would never hear the end of it.

As always I am excited for Clasico, but I just hope that sort of shit stops, the whining, the diving, the blaming referee, the fights at half-time, the mindgames etc. Messi saved the semi-final last season with that magical goal. Twas a bad game for everyone. Everyone.
Though I have to say the last few Clasicos have been better, except for Pepe with his hand stomping, face covering, time wasting stuff.

edit
Pep to Chelsea? He would kick out Terry, Lamps, Drogba etc immediately. He had no problem at all kicking out Ronaldinho, the king of the Camp Nou. Deco, Edmilson etc but Eto'o convinced Pep to not sell him.
Plus he knows English so no translators needed.
If Abramovich lets him spend 300mil to buy Messi, Iniesta and Xavi, then yeah I could see him going.

But I doubt it, just don't see it, teams I could see him going to are Inter(please god no), Milan, ManCity or United.

I don't think it's wise to go to Chelsea but if there's one man who could fuck the prima donna seniors then it's Pep.

I don't want it to happen though because I don't want to see Chelsea dominating. Sorry Fady :(

I don't agree. He apparently hates confrontation. I was told this by Ibralol.

Kyoufu

The price tag on Messi must be huge. The buyout clause plus the Maradona genes (growth drugs lol) must cost a fair bit.

Iniesta and Xavi won't be cheap either.

The price tag on Messi must be huge. The buyout clause plus the Maradona genes (growth drugs lol) must cost a fair bit.

Even if the club accepted a bid, they wouldn't leave. They get paid as much as they would anywhere else and they're playing with their friends for the team they love in the city they grew up in all as part of the best footballing establishment in the world right now.

Empty

he totally comes across as a lad who lives in the pub in his post match interviews so i understand that, but after being fired by southampton pardew used his time out to visit a bunch of bundesliga clubs with the aim of examining their training and coaching practices and to improve his tactical understanding. his time there also exposed him to ba at hoffenheim and cisse and freiberg, and he played a significant part in making sure they were transfer targets.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
But I doubt it, just don't see it, teams I could see him going to are Inter(please god no), Milan, ManCity or United.
Inter: Dead team, deep in the red (FFP) and they have no money to rebuild it. (at least not with young WC players)

Milan:
yMnaV.png

Why leave Barca anyway? ;)

FootballFan

As Viva said above, it just would be so hard to convince any of the 3 to leave. They already get paid so damn much, they live in a City they love and have grown up in, they win titles a lot of the time, so there really is no reason or motivation for them to leave.

They would cost so much too, Messi for example is still only 24, 120mil is the minimum I would want for him.

edit
Inter: Dead team, deep in the red (FFP) and they have no money to rebuild it. (at least not with young WC players)

Milan:
yMnaV.png

:lol good points.

Both would still be big possibilities if he were to leave though(imo)

panty

I don't see Iniesta or Xavi leaving. They are Barcelona and Xavi being 32 already, why should he leave unless he plans to follow Raul's suit. Messi on the other hand might leave if Pep leaves and that's what I'd like to see.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If he leaves searching for a new challenge, why would he take Barca's best players with him? :p Might as well stay then!

I'm calling it right now! His next club is Brecia FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom