• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Will Ferrell is as funny as Ricky Gervais...
zD8xr.gif

With the exception of a few movies!

The decision to introduce the goal-line officials looks to be an embarrassingly bad one. The original complaint was that they would only be placed on one side of the goal but I've lost count of the amount of incidents right in front of them where they have missed.

Despite that, I can actually understand why FIFA have been reluctant with introducing cameras into the decision making. I think the controversy of refereeing mistakes stokes up passion on the terraces and generates rivalry; it adds emotion.

You're right, but I (we?) don't want these emotions in football. Frank wanted to choke me to death a few weeks ago, does that sound right to you? :p
Avoid the obvious joke please

Bumhead

Banned
QPR's chief executive has been babbling on about ground sharing and scrapping promotion/relegation from the Premier League.

He's since come out and said it was only tongue in cheek, but I've absolutely no doubt he'd be joining Phil Gartside in voting for it if it was ever in question.

Joke or not, I always shit myself when stuff like this get's suggested. There are enough people out there who are selfish, greedy and stupid enough to think it's a good idea.

Metalist seem like a dangerous team on the counter. They´ve scored on every away match except on the first play-off match against Sochaux. They were top of their group ahead of AZ, Austria Wien and Malmö FF with 14 points, drawing twice with AZ and winning the rest of the games.
They thrashed Red Bull Salzburg with a 0-4 away win and a 4-1 at home. They lost at home against Olympiacos 0-1 and were down 1-0 in Greece for most of the game but they managed to score twice in the last 8 min and went through on away goals.

sohois

QPR's chief executive has been babbling on about ground sharing and scrapping promotion/relegation from the Premier League.

He's since come out and said it was only tongue in cheek, but I've absolutely no doubt he'd be joining Phil Gartside in voting for it if it was ever in question.

Joke or not, I always shit myself when stuff like this get's suggested. There are enough people out there who are selfish, greedy and stupid enough to think it's a good idea.

I always wonder what the guys that propose this plan to do with the many other professional clubs in England; do they expect them to just close? How exactly would a premier league with no relegation work for these lower league clubs?

sneaky77

Sweet. This works for me. Probably the best option, although I bet they sell it for $20. I like the sound of expedition mode. It's too bad I don't like playing the computer.

fuck so I may need to rebuy fifa if this makes any actual changes to the engine, ahh.. I may end up skipping it anyway

Aparently UEFA asked Milan explanations for how the field was so shit yesterday.

I think unfortunately shalke is going to beat us today, the last few games we have been sloppy in our play our players are running out of gas.

So it seems next season Man United will introduce a dedicated "singing area" at Old Trafford. The away fans are being moved to the top of Tier 3 in the North Stand (not sure how good an idea that is, had problems with away fans throwing things to home fans below them in the past) and the area away fans currently occupy will be the singing area. Interesting to see how it works out.

Will also be a 50% discount for 16-17 year olds.

Bumhead

Banned
I always wonder what the guys that propose this plan to do with the many other professional clubs in England; do they expect them to just close? How exactly would a premier league with no relegation work for these lower league clubs?

That would require any sort of thought beyond the selfish self interest of the clubs suggesting it.

Phil Gartside paps himself about relegation on a regular basis because his club is built on a foundation of sand. There's a good chance that should Bolton be relegated, they'll be up shit creek without a paddle. They're riddled with Premier League debt and could be finished if they drop out of it. They're one of a few clubs to be in that exact same situation. Wigan are another and given QPR's spending this season they'll be firmly sat in the same boat. Totally unsustainable.

Incidentally, if you were to artificially create a closed Premier League with the countries 20 "best" clubs then Bolton, QPR and Wigan would be nowhere fucking near it.

Anderson

The thread had become too powerful, on OT8 in less then a year, the mods feared us

We are GAF now but by putting us out of sight, they hope to let us die naturally over time. We will rise again though

This strange March heat wave is messing with my mind

Hixx

So it seems next season Man United will introduce a dedicated "singing area" at Old Trafford. The away fans are being moved to the top of Tier 3 in the North Stand (not sure how good an idea that is, had problems with away fans throwing things to home fans below them in the past) and the area away fans currently occupy will be the singing area. Interesting to see how it works out.

So anyone older than that will want to be anywhere BUT in that section then.

SAFC are doing the same, sticking the away fans up in the gods coz its shit when 15 of the 20 teams bring less than 1k to fill a stand that holds 6k and it looks barren and awful.

Carbonox

I was gonna ask why Bayern would want someone old like Pizarro but then I just looked up his stats and he's still a prolific scorer. Plus he's used to the German league so good on him and Bayern I guess. At least he will be better than Olic, heh.

SAFC are doing the same, sticking the away fans up in the gods coz its shit when 15 of the 20 teams bring less than 1k to fill a stand that holds 6k and it looks barren and awful.

Well to be fair your own fans don't do a great job of filling the space anyway...

elseanio

Liverpool did this a few season ago, and to great success. I immediately aim for 304/5/6 whenever I buy a ticket now. The section has also became fully standing, for every game.. I don't know why the stewards still allow this, but it does enhance the atmosphere at the back of the Kop.

Bumhead

Banned

You should try being in League One mate. Yeovil bringing 60 fans in a 7,500 seater away end is a sight to behold..

Wilbur

Banned
You can't say that if you haven't watched Seinfeld!

edit: It's in my backlog with Spaced.

Seinfeld I've heard is good but it gives off vibes of Jewish Friends haha. Spaced is really good as well but I've finished the American Office now. If that's an 8, UK is a 10.

Good news on the price cut for the youngsters.

I think that offer is stadium wide.

Yep, away fans at OT take up a prime position in the stadium and often bring just a few fans. Much better off sticking them elsewhere.

Bumhead

Banned
Wont it cause bother though swapping the away stand throughout the season? Because surely SOME teams do take their allocation

Not really. We used to give teams the larger upper tier as standard but we now put them in the smaller lower tier unless they sell more.. which only 2, maybe 3 teams in the league this season have managed.

We've had that in the Championship, Wimbledon brought 39 fans in their last season before becoming MK Dons. 39.

MK Dons away following isn't a great deal better than that now, to be honest.

Elia tweeted this

RAYK8.jpg

Awesome Animals, DO SOMETHING!

You should see my facebook feed. Covered with silly instagram photos and quotes. It's pretty funny.

You can't say that if you haven't watched Seinfeld!

edit: It's in my backlog with Spaced.

Yay! <3

Seinfeld I've heard is good but it gives off vibes of Jewish Friends haha. Spaced is really good as well but I've finished the American Office now. If that's an 8, UK is a 10.

Good news on the price cut for the youngsters.

Yea, Seinfeld came before Friends, and the only similarity is the fact that they are sitcoms and happen to have a common meeting place (Monk's, Central Perk). I love both shows, but Seinfeld is top class and Friends can't compare.

Wilbur

Banned
I didn't mean it in a derogatory way, I love Friends. It just looks similar, and its a long show as well isn't it, 7 seasons or so? Think I'll watch Deadwood next.

Love Friends, I don't really find it that funny but the characters are so lovable that it's difficult to not like it.

Oh and Monica....HNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

Kyoufu

Love Friends, I don't really find it that funny but the characters are so lovable that it's difficult to not like it.

Monica is hnngg if you're into anorexia.

I hate Friends. It was fun to watch when I was 12, but now, after 900000000 repeats, I think it's dumb as hell.

Wilbur

Banned

Young Rachel > all. First few years of Friends she was incredible looking.

Barca hahaha no one got injured and you didn't lose, just fucking move on

Clegg

Why are there now 2 community threads.

This situation has gotten a bit out of hand at this stage.

I still don't know what was wrong with our sticky in Off Topic.

Carbonox

Rachel was my fav gal primarily cos she never wore bras. It takes a brave girl to do so.

What annoys me more about this stupid new board tab setup is that when I make a post, I then want to click on the Community tab at the bottom but it takes me to Gaming Community. That means I have to scroll back up to go to OT Community. SORT IT OUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom