• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

damien-comolli-007.jpg

I did, but I usually just interpret it the way I like the most :p

When I first read it, I skipped over the word 'probably'.

I stand corrected, but his 2nd statement does actually lead people to believe otherwise.

and the full quote for the second part

I need to be sure that I have always 11 players on the pitch. With Mario, it's always a big risk. Every time we risk one [man] being sent off, even if he can also score in the last minute."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/08/mario-balotelli-manchester-city-mancini

Now not saying Mancini isn't lacking some balls and should just have rejected a man like Tevez coming back but... He really wasn't setting anything in stone with that interview regarding Balotelli.

These are awesome:

wbE2H.gif
bNcuJ.gif

Götze, Reus and Zidan. A player, a future one and a former one. Just shows how awesome the team is.

And secret agent Zidan is gonna score against Bayern on saturday :)

and the full quote for the second part

Now not saying Mancini isn't lacking some balls and should just have rejected a man like Tevez coming back but... He really wasn't setting anything in stone with that interview regarding Balotelli.

Fair play mate.

I guess he learned his lesson with Tevez and not dealing with absolutes. tbh, I'm not blaming him, I'd be playing Balotelli every single match I could. The guy scores goals as much as he's also being a liability.

I would definitely smack him on the head every day too, though :p

GorillaJu

I'm being serious.

RAWK rushing to criticize the owners on this but I trust them more than anyone to have carefully weighed the options and made the right decision at the right time.

Interesting now to see our direction with transfers and interesting that nothing pointing towards this came up. No rumors or anything. They're really keeping it behind closed doors

article-1334156224426-128D022E000005DC-342652_636x300.jpg

Mancini likes Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles?

I forgive him for everything he says then. The man does know good candy, I'll give him that much!!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not really a shock, and a strong indication that Kenny will stick around next season.

Is it? Could be that they are preparing to clean house a la Spurs circa 2008. Commolli and Ramos got shown the door and the whole management structure changed.

sohois

Is it? Could be that they are preparing to clean house a la Spurs circa 2008. Commolli and Ramos got shown the door and the whole management structure changed.

Part of the reason for bringing Comolli in was apparently to maintain some kind of identity between manager changes rather than have wholesale changes for every new manager; so if Kenny were to have been fired in the summer they would presumably have wanted comolli to stick around to guide the new man in. Plus Comolli serves as a fallguy for Liverpool's recent poor form by being got rid of now rather than in the summer, if they wanted rid of both they both would have gone at the same time.

To me it seemed like Comolli was doing well in his role, Downing seemed like it was largely pushed by Kenny to support Carroll, whilst Carroll himself also seemed like more of a Kenny purchase, though that transfer was a failure by all involved at the club. Without knowing what Comolli's role was fully we can never tell how well he did and whether his sacking is just.

Yen

It was different owners when Rafa got sacked. Also he has many times said that he love Liverpool and would come back to manage the team if given a chance again.

And the "divorce" was as amicable as it could get. The man was ensured a £16m pay-off but took £3m for the best of the club. Unlike Roy, 6 months later.

bjaelke

lol i doubt it. That wasn't the most amicable of divorces

H&G were made scapegoats by the fans. Rafa is still remembered for all the good things he did at the club. With that said, I don't see him coming back. I expect there's something else to this "mutual" resignation. Maybe's Comolli was blocking the Bent transfer.

And the "divorce" was as amicable as it could get. The man was ensured a £16m pay-off but took £3m for the best of the club. Unlike Roy, 6 months later.
That's not really Hodgson's fault or wrong doing.

Yeah, not convinced by him at all.

That said, I was pretty unconvinced by Valencia.
Even if he's a great player, we don't need him, we need a CM or two. Shouldn't be spending so much on somebody who isn't urgently needed.

Anyway just a rumour for now.

Mastadon

Banned
Are you happy that Kenny might be around for another season?
Not really. He's severely underperformed in pretty much every area imaginable, from tactics to media handling. He's not equipped to take this club forward from what I've seen.

On the other hand, you don't want your club to turn in to a Chelsea and change managers each season. I don't begrudge Kenny another year, but he has a lot to prove.

sohois

I just realised that Kenny was a Director of Football at Celtic for a short while, I wonder whether they are clearing room for Kenny to move upstairs and bring in a new man, it would be a good way to avoid the acrimony that would arise from sacking Kenny with the players and the fans

neoanarch

I just realised that Kenny was a Director of Football at Celtic for a short while, I wonder whether they are clearing room for Kenny to move upstairs and bring in a new man, it would be a good way to avoid the acrimony that would arise from sacking Kenny with the players and the fans

More likely they want to get someone new in before the summer transfer window.

I do think this is strange timing from Liverpool. It's going to invite maximum pressure and attention on the club and the signings since Comolli arrived in the days before the biggest game of the season yet.

Also, I have no idea what Comolli actually does but it would be harsh if the axe fell solely on him because it seems Daglish played a key role in all the signings himself.

Anyhow I don't believe in this DoF business so I don't think he should have been there in the first place.

Choc

Banned
Can someone tell me what the fuck a DOF does? really? beside cause problems for the manager?

we've had arnesen at Chelsea, sacked

Commoli, sacked

a few other sacked

Surely they should realise whatever it is, isnt going to work.

DoF only works when he is given almost complete charge of transfers and the coach is okay with it. He'll consult with the coach and those two need to have a good relationship.

In English football the manager has always had the power. This half way house routine we have with DoF's is pointless. Either tell him he's the manager and let him make the decisions or tell him he's the coach who makes use of what he's given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom