• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

ilT5krvMAIgpP.jpg

MRqPF.gif

Kyoufu

I would laugh if Spurs don't qualify for Europe.

I would laugh if Chelsea don't qualify for Europe.

^^^ both possible, but it's either one or the other.

I would cry if both qualified for Europe

So he IS being made a scapegoat. From what i gather it was his job to suggest players and negotiate their contracts, but the ultimate and final call was that of the manager.

I'm not sure it's a clear cut situation like you suggest. You have Liverpool and Dalglish taking full ownership of all those questionable transfers - a blatant scapegoat would have them laying all that at Commolli's feet. To me it seems like Liverpool's executives/owners took a good look at the season and decided that the Commolli/Dalglish partnership was misfiring. I don't think they believe Commolli was the sole culprit.

Looking back at all those questionable transfers, I don't mind any of them by themselves. Taken as a whole though, I don't really see how Commolli/Dalglish expected the signings to gel and become a consistently effective force.

Kyoufu

I just want Chelsea to drop out of Europe so that we can snag up Torres. :)

How much is he even worth now? I can't imagine him going for more than 10 million considering he has scored fuck all goals and isn't in the Euro 2012 squad (I think).

Saying that, I would be drenched in my own cum if he put on a Newcastle shirt and fed Cisse. :)

GorillaJu

I'm not sure it's a clear cut situation like you suggest. You have Liverpool and Dalglish taking full ownership of all those questionable transfers - a blatant scapegoat would have them laying all that at Commolli's feet. To me it seems like Liverpool's executives/owners took a good look at the season and decided that the Commolli/Dalglish partnership was misfiring. I don't think they believe Commolli was the sole culprit.

Looking back at all those questionable transfers, I don't mind any of them by themselves. Taken as a whole though, I don't really see how Commolli/Dalglish expected the signings to gel and become a consistently effective force.

I guess we can expect a different direction with the transfers this summer. Whoever's in charge, I just hope they have a good look at talent all over the globe, not just at home, for a striker.

How much is he even worth now? I can't imagine him going for more than 10 million considering he has scored fuck all goals and isn't in the Euro 2012 squad (I think).

Saying that, I would be drenched in my own cum if he put on a Newcastle shirt and fed Cisse. :)

I'd say probably still in the 20-25 million range in a competitive market, especially if Chelsea decide to sell within the PL. Maybe a little less if he goes abroad, probably hovering around 20. He's still world class. He just suffers from being part of a really mediocre Chelsea team, I'm afraid.

But Torres + Pirlo + Vidal and Marchisio giving him space = 25 goal season

offshore

I still get flashbacks to the game away at Young Boys. Only Spurs could make such a meal of a tie like that.

You got nothing on Newcastle. I still have nightmares about how we went crashing out of the CL qualifiers years ago to Partizan Belgrade.

I wouldn't put it past us to balls up the qualifiers again, should we get fourth.

Hixx

Such an odd player. Complete and utter shit for most of his career and now suddenly learned how to play football.

Not really. Apart from his time at Chelsea he has been a fine footballer. He always looked decent for the Mags, not particularly sure why some see those years as a blot on his career. Apart from them being with the Mags, ofc.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Linking us with Vidic makes no sense whatsoever for many reasons!

Buffon why so crazy
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

To be honest, that form guide does nothing to change the fact that everything is more or less even in terms of schedules we face. If they lost to Fiorentina, Milan can lose to Genoa. And the form of our opponents is, again, more or less the same.

Milan is winning games but they aren't a team in form. Chievo dominated them. They've just been fortunate. The guide is deceptive. They're still more likely to drop points against teams that can really challenge them, teams like Siena and Atalanta.

You're absolutely right, form means nothing in the end.

Well, it means something, but not always! Kinda like statistics :p

Yen

You got nothing on Newcastle. I still have nightmares about how we went crashing out of the CL qualifiers years ago to Partizan Belgrade.

I wouldn't put it past us to balls up the qualifiers again, should we get fourth.
And you have nothing on Everton. Lost to Villarreal, then got knocked out of the UEFA Cup at the first round, losing 5-1 to Bucharest.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Such an odd player. Complete and utter shit for most of his career and now suddenly learned how to play football.

I'm not even sure he's that good at football. He holds onto the ball too long while doing a Jenas-style pirouette move before just managing to pass it sideways. What he does do is get stuck into the opposition and cleans up others' mess. In terms of goals and contribution to our attacking game, he's been pretty gash. If only we could fuse Parker, Sandro and Huddlestone together to form the perfect midfield player.

Needs Milan battleship on Juve's tail

Antonio Conte said:
“Milan are a super power, a battleship that was created for the grand slam. Up until three weeks ago there was talk of them winning everything. They have 35 players of the highest level and despite many absences can play well in many formations and from this point of view, we take them as an example.”

bjaelke

The referees in the Premier League get a lot of bad press - and rightfully so - but they also deserve credit for this:
18 - There have been 18 yellow cards for simulation in the Premier League this season, 10 more than in the whole of 2010-11. Theatrics.

I'd say probably still in the 20-25 million range in a competitive market, especially if Chelsea decide to sell within the PL. Maybe a little less if he goes abroad, probably hovering around 20. He's still world class. He just suffers from being part of a really mediocre Chelsea team, I'm afraid.

But Torres + Pirlo + Vidal and Marchisio giving him space = 25 goal season

I'd say this is a more accurate number. He may not have scored many goals, but he has as many assists as Mata, which should stand for something. Plus he still has a (tiny) bit of a reputation for scoring and has has some glimmers that he could return to that.

What he does do is get stuck into the opposition and cleans up others' mess.

Fucking this - when he was at West Ham, Parker was so invaluable to us precisely because he was constantly running his socks off, getting back to help out the defence, driving the team forwards and making those daring, no-nonsense tackles the fans loved to see. The fact that Kevin Nolan can't do all that is one of the biggest problems we've faced with our midfield this season, although he's more handy in front of goal than Parker ever was.

Zabojnik

To be honest, that form guide does nothing to change the fact that everything is more or less even in terms of schedules we face. If they lost to Fiorentina, Milan can lose to Genoa. And the form of our opponents is, again, more or less the same.

Milan is winning games but they aren't a team in form. Chievo dominated them. They've just been fortunate. The guide is deceptive. They're still more likely to drop points against teams that can really challenge them, teams like Siena and Atalanta.

It's really difficult to predict anything at this point. Take our match against Cesena, for example. Last team on the table, so you would think 3 sure points. And yet it's one the matches I fear the most. If they lose, they're mathematically relegated to Serie B. They're playing in front of their fans, so they'll be even more motivated to hang on to Serie A for another weekend at least. It's gonna be catenaccio all the way, I presume, and we all know the difficulties we have scoring against teams that park the bus. And as shit as they are, there's Mutu ...

On the other hand, there's Milan - Genoa. Milan can lose to Genoa? I really don't think so. Preziosi is already bent over. God forbid Genoa should annoy Milan or Inter in any way. It would get in the way of him making money with future transfers and money is all he cares about.

In other news, Bonucci is out for Cesena, because of the nose job. Sooo ... Licht - Barza - Chiello - Ashton Kutcher.

Hixx

And Everton have nothing on Sunderland.

Never been in European competition.

just kidding Hixx

I hope you were kidding.

It is well documented we played TWO (four technically, phwoar) games in Europe. Sporting Lisbon knocked us out 3-2 on aggregate ;_;

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's really difficult to predict anything at this point. Take our match against Cesena, for example. Last team on the table, so you would think 3 sure points. And yet it's one the matches I fear the most. If they lose, they're mathematically relegated to Serie B. They're playing in front of their fans, so they'll be even more motivated to hang on to Serie A for another weekend at least. It's gonna be catenaccio all the way, I presume, and we all know the difficulties we have scoring against teams that park the bus. And as shit as they are, there's Mutu ...

On the other hand, there's Milan - Genoa. Milan can lose to Genoa? I really don't think so. Preziosi is already bent over. God forbid Genoa should annoy Milan or Inter in any way. It would get in the way of him making money with future transfers and money is all he cares about.

In other news, Bonucci is out for Cesena, because of the nose job. Sooo ... Licht - Barza - Chiello - Ashton Kutcher.

Caceres is definitely playing in place of Licht! He looked dead yesterday lol

Iaquinta handball + red card. Believe.

edit: Wait, please tell me he is not injured again?

elsk

Banned
What exactly have they done? Subotic called out Robben for diving which was well deserved and about time, and Großkreutz had a few words with Asamoah, who's done the same over the last ten years or so.

As for those banners, yes they were stupid, but they don't represent what all Dortmund fans are thinking but one Ultra group that nobody gives a shit about. Big deal.

Großkreutz dived like an idiot at the start of the game.

offshore

The fact that Kevin Nolan can't do all that is one of the biggest problems we've faced with our midfield this season, although he's more handy in front of goal than Parker ever was.

lol, this sums up Nolan at Newcastle. He couldn't really do anything, but he was up alongside Carroll as our top scorer.

Zabojnik

Caceres is definitely playing in place of Licht! He looked dead yesterday lol

Iaquinta handball + red card. Believe

Actually, I think Iaquinta is injured and probably won't make it. Shocking, I know. Anyway, I'm in full final rush paranoia at this point. I'm even worried because we'll be playing in the afternoon and fear the primavera's heat may somehow hinder our work-rate. :D

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Actually, I think Iaquinta is injured and probably won't make it. Shocking, I know. Anyway, I'm in full final rush paranoia at this point. I'm even worried because we'll be playing in the afternoon and fear the primavera's heat may somehow hinder our work-rate. :D

Figured :(

Don't worry, we own half their team in co-ownership deals! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom