• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

elseanio

I generally don't care about the English National Team, though do want Liverpool players to do well when they play for England.

I'm from Liverpool

The-Kop.jpg

I'm not English, so I may be missing some key things that I may not notice or understand, but, I think, as you've already mentioned, that the old guard needs to go. John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole all need to retire. Welbeck, Baines, Richards, Sturridge, Walker, and Wilshere need to be getting more consistent playing time for the team. Only a few of the players who are between 25-30 should be consistently there. Rooney, and Barry are two names that come to mind.

Actually, looking at the recent squad and call-ups it looks like the only players with any significant number of caps are all old. It just seems like Capello did little to prepare the team for posterity. Also, Walcott is only 23, my mind explodes at that.

EDIT: I may just load up FM2012 and lead the England squad to a new era.

I agree. I linked some stats a while back comparing the squad from the 90s and early 00s that I generally considered to be entertaining and somewhat decent to the one we've had over the last 10 years.

Back in the 90s there was a good mixture of experience and young players, with caps shared out equally. Whereas now the caps are top heavy on the late 20s/30 year olds. That might sound like common sense since older players will have played more games, but when you compare the 'supporting' players the squad now have players with a lot of single caps, whereas back in the 90s they still had several caps to their names and you could see the younger guys being integrated into the squad.

That's just not happening now. Its the same faces in the same horrible formation playing the same dull football every competition. Its been the 'Golden Generation' far too long.

that's true of a lot of sides though. as for my perspective, an outsider i'd say that the problem is that people in england have inflated expectations and thus it's pretty much inevitable that they'll be "disappointed" very often and end up by talking about what horrible underachievers the players are and they'll then sink into the anti-hype silliness where they talk about how bad and stupid english players are compared to those of other countries.

penalties though, that's a different story.

I've personally never understood the media hype and expectation that always builds up over the England squad. I guess to a point I can understand it - Papers want to sell their papers. What sells better than building up a Nation's hopes... and then joining in the despair and burning the 'Heroes' with the rest of the villagers when we fail.

Our footballers are very average. It should be plainly clear for all to see. Look at the teams that have a predominately English core to them. Where are they in the table? Mid-table to bottom. Yes, I'm including Liverpool in this. I suppose Man U could be the exception to the rule in this case, but even then their English players aren't really the 'Stars' (though I personally don't believe Rooney is amazing as everyone else in football believes he is).

Yeah. We had quality midfielders back then though. Batty, Lee, Scholes, Beckham... Damn, what a fine generation that was.

It's all shit now.

I wouldn't say that selection was fantastic, but those players complimented each other well (and also had team connections to work with). I'm not sure looking at our current crop of midfielders the same could be said.

Gerrard
Lampard
Barry
Milner
Downing
Johnson

Scholes

Lightning

Banned
Ivanovic appeal dismissed.
That means he misses the match against us. Excellent.

Koscielny will be back for our Chelsea game. Excellent, barring no injuries happen against Wigan we will have our best players available for match where we can put Chelsea's European hopes to bed. I want us to win all our games but I really really REALLY want us to beat Chelsea.

WJD

Would you take Scholes to Euro 2012?

Hes probably playing as well as any English CM right now.

Like Carrick he's perfect for European and International football and yeah, he's been the best English midfielder in the league since his return.

Probably won't go though.

Would you take Scholes to Euro 2012?

Hes probably playing as well as any English CM right now.

Of course you do. Will he? I don't know. I know he retired from internationals due to fitness and health, so he might not have been available as much as he should have been. Even then I'm not sure he'd have been selected as much. He wasn't really first name down when he was available before his retirement.

If Tom Huddlestone makes it into the England squad, I'm not sure what the hell is going on. He's like an impersonator trying to be Carrick/Scholes rolled into one. People think he's amazing and always remember the 1 completed wonderpass out of 20 and the 1 wonder goal out of 50 he tries.

LegoArmo

I'd take him, but I don't think he will go, and I don't want him to.

I want him to have another year at United, which will involve a lot of rest over the summer.

Clegg

If Scholes were to play for England again, his best midfield partner would be Carrick.

Of course, Carrick isn't even getting a look in for England anymore.

Bumhead

Banned
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the English national side, either.

I'm just disconnected from it. It's a commercial vehicle as much as it is any symbol of national pride, to me. I have nothing in common with anything the England team represents and I have nothing in common with the vast majority of people who support it. It's largely a collection of individual players I don't even like supported by fans of clubs I have nothing to do with.

Our footballers are very average. It should be plainly clear for all to see. Look at the teams that have a predominately English core to them. Where are they in the table? Mid-table to bottom. Yes, I'm including Liverpool in this. I suppose Man U could be the exception to the rule in this case, but even then their English players aren't really the 'Stars' (though I personally don't believe Rooney is amazing as everyone else in football believes he is).

I think the best part of Rooney's game is his work rate, and that is certainly an admirable quality and one to build around. I think the same of Parker, and Ashley Young. They will run until you take them off. Milner and Barry I think can be included in this group as well. I think that is something to build around personally.

I think the best part of Rooney's game is his work rate, and that is certainly an admirable quality and one to build around. I think the same of Parker, and Ashley Young. They will run until you take them off. Milner and Barry I think can be included in this group as well. I think that is something to build around personally.

That's English players summed up, at least stereotypically. That's the qualities we've always looked for, praised and accepted.

Work Rate.
Stamina.
Aggression.

It needs to change. Its changing, to a point, at grassroot and development level (though relies far too much on the coach's ideas and philosophies) where technique and mastery are being encouraged and sought after. Remains to be seen if this is the latest fad attempt or not.

James Milner will run all day for you. He's great at it, but I think he's very middle of the road when it comes his ability. I'm not saying he's terrible, but take away that amazing stamina and work rate he has and he'd be a Championship player. His crossing is hit and miss. His passing is hit and miss (and that's taking into account his safe passing style due to lack of vision). His shooting his hit and miss. His technique is so distinctly average.
Yet he'll consistently work hard for you. He'll do his role.

Feorax

Looks like our Goalkeeping coach is on his way out too. Not a massive surprise, Reina has been way off his best this season.

Our last keeper coach used to work with the strikers as well, to help them get inside the heads of opposing keepers. We could do with that type of system again.

EDIT: and our in-house lawyer might be gone too! Again, no surprise after the Suarez incident.

Kyoufu

Looks like our Goalkeeping coach is on his way out too. Not a massive surprise, Reina has been way off his best this season.

Our last keeper coach used to work with the strikers as well, to help them get inside the heads of opposing keepers. We could do with that type of system again.

Now you just need to sack Kenny to complete the cleansing.

That's English players summed up, at least stereotypically. That's the qualities we've always looked for, praised and accepted.

Work Rate.
Stamina.
Aggression.

It needs to change. Its changing, to a point, at grassroot and development level (though relies far too much on the coach's ideas and philosophies) where technique and mastery are being encouraged and sought after. Remains to be seen if this is the latest fad attempt or not.

James Milner will run all day for you. He's great at it, but I think he's very middle of the road when it comes his ability. I'm not saying he's terrible, but take away that amazing stamina and work rate he has and he'd be a Championship player. His crossing is hit and miss. His passing is hit and miss (and that's taking into account his safe passing style due to lack of vision). His shooting his hit and miss. His technique is so distinctly average.
Yet he'll consistently work hard for you. He'll do his role.

Yea, that always has certainly been Milner's best quality, especially when he was at Aston Villa. But, until some players with better technique start coming of age, it is something the ENT needs to go with. And, even when you have players with the technique to play against Spain, it is still important to find some with work rate.

I do hope that it gets sorted out because it will improve the quality of the Premier League as well.

TrueBlue

That means he misses the match against us. Excellent.

Koscielny will be back for our Chelsea game. Excellent, barring no injuries happen against Wigan we will have our best players available for match where we can put Chelsea's European hopes to bed. I want us to win all our games but I really really REALLY want us to beat Chelsea.

BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg

But seriously, not really feeling our game against you lot at all. I mean, I think a back four of Luiz, Cahill, Terry and Cole can do a job for us on the day, but you've been on absolute fire recently.

Kyoufu

This is what I like about the upcoming Arsenal vs Chelsea game:

whoever wins, Newcastle wins.

Arsenal win, that's dropped points for Chelsea, keeping our position secure.

Chelsea win, that's dropped points for Arsenal. 3rd place back in contention.

Both teams draw, that's dropped points for both teams!

Wayne Rooney
Steven Gerrard
John Terry

All hugely dislikable, all play for different clubs. Its no wonder people struggle to cheer for a team containing so many players they can't stand every time its someone other than England play
I don't think Gerrard is particularly dislikeable. I can see why people would dislike him but he's not as crass as Rooney or a complete and utter twat like JT.

Agree though, it's tough to support England. The biggest problem for me personally is the football, it's so dull and boring, just can't get up for it or be bothered to care/watch.

You can have technique with work rate, aggression and stamina. Just needs more adventurous and intelligent coaching. I've seen a whole host of grassroots coaching over the last 2 years and some of it has been interesting, some of it has been appalling and some of it I've taken for myself.

There's still a whole host of 'Dads' coaching at grassroots, and that's great, I'm not going to criticise that. We need those guys helping out, otherwise no-one else will do it. However, I feel like its a lot of time, money and effort on their part to educate and improve their ability as a coach.

The County FA I'm a part of is actually good for offering free courses to Charter Standard clubs to help get their coaches up to speed and scratch, and the club I work for puts on free/cheap coaching clinics for anyone to attend. However, I still feel there's enough 'free' information for Dad coaches to get their hands on.
Are they aware of what these courses are for? Do they know what they're looking for? Or are they just content to be managing their Son's/Daughter's Mini-Soccer team to a point that they win.

Which in itself is another challenge altogether.

How do you shift coaches away from wanting to 'win' at a youth/grassroots level, rather than encouraging and developing younger players. At one point do you become scared of failure and fall back to something comfortable (more than likely kick to the best player ASAP/Hoof it and chase it).

I had a bit of an argument with parents in my first ever year as a grassroots coach. They wanted their Son's team to be winning (the kids didn't care they just wanted to play football with their mates). They weren't happy that we weren't winning.

Why are you trying to pass the ball out from the back? Why don't you just kick it forward to 'Best player'?

I stuck by my guns and told them it was about teach the kids football, and that even when they were playing a game they were still learning. If I teach them how to hoof it forward all the time now, that's all they'll be doing in 10/20 years time and it won't work for them. What will they gain from that? Do I want that to be my reputation as a coach too? No I don't.
So I stuck with it. Playing out from the back. We got caught out plenty of times trying it and lost because of it. Some parents took their kids elsewhere, others remained and new parents came in (who were great btw).

We still play out from the back. They know how to do it. We win some and lose some. Its the way it should be. However, the players know how to stand to receive the ball. They know how to use their first touch. The know how to pass. They wouldn't have picked these skills up if it was just hoof and chase. We might have won more games, but does anyone really look at who the champions of an U8/U9 league are? I don't think so.

Could probably work on shooting mind!

TrueBlue

But what if Newcastle don't win?

Carbonox

I don't care about Arsenal now. I just care about finishing in the top 5 and for that, Chelsea must lose to Arsenal.

Hixx

"If he had done the equivalent of this in school. Kicked the ginger kid with glasses as he was getting up". Oh my... Is this mofo serious?

It's his job to be a dick to get people to phone in and tell him he's a dick.

Some of the stuff they spout is borderline slanderous at times.

TrueBlue

Form is temporary man, it can change at any moment one way or another. But I'm sure you know that anyway. In any case, Newcastle have to win otherwise the Arsenal v Chelsea result is detrimental to their cause one way or another.

Wilbur

Banned
Chris how did you get into coaching? All of that post sounds brilliant; it's something I've become increasingly attracted to recently. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? Did you start young or whatever??

You can have technique with work rate, aggression and stamina. Just needs more adventurous and intelligent coaching. I've seen a whole host of grassroots coaching over the last 2 years and some of it has been interesting, some of it has been appalling and some of it I've taken for myself.

There's still a whole host of 'Dads' coaching at grassroots, and that's great, I'm not going to criticise that. We need those guys helping out, otherwise no-one else will do it. However, I feel like its a lot of time, money and effort on their part to educate and improve their ability as a coach.

The County FA I'm a part of is actually good for offering free courses to Charter Standard clubs to help get their coaches up to speed and scratch, and the club I work for puts on free/cheap coaching clinics for anyone to attend. However, I still feel there's enough 'free' information for Dad coaches to get their hands on.
Are they aware of what these courses are for? Do they know what they're looking for? Or are they just content to be managing their Son's/Daughter's Mini-Soccer team to a point that they win.

Which in itself is another challenge altogether.

How do you shift coaches away from wanting to 'win' at a youth/grassroots level, rather than encouraging and developing younger players. At one point do you become scared of failure and fall back to something comfortable (more than likely kick to the best player ASAP/Hoof it and chase it).

I had a bit of an argument with parents in my first ever year as a grassroots coach. They wanted their Son's team to be winning (the kids didn't care they just wanted to play football with their mates). They weren't happy that we weren't winning.

Why are you trying to pass the ball out from the back? Why don't you just kick it forward to 'Best player'?

I stuck by my guns and told them it was about teach the kids football, and that even when they were playing a game they were still learning. If I teach them how to hoof it forward all the time now, that's all they'll be doing in 10/20 years time and it won't work for them. What will they gain from that? Do I want that to be my reputation as a coach too? No I don't.
So I stuck with it. Playing out from the back. We got caught out plenty of times trying it and lost because of it. Some parents took their kids elsewhere, others remained and new parents came in (who were great btw).

We still play out from the back. They know how to do it. We win some and lose some. Its the way it should be. However, the players know how to stand to receive the ball. They know how to use their first touch. The know how to pass. They wouldn't have picked these skills up if it was just hoof and chase. We might have won more games, but does anyone really look at who the champions of an U8/U9 league are? I don't think so.

Could probably work on shooting mind!

Parents (and I don't necessarily mean parent coaches) are some of the worst things about athletics at the youth level. There is so much politicking amongst them and the program directors. And then, as you noted, they get upset because they aren't winning or because their child isn't progressing close enough to get a scholarship or whatever and they fail to realize what it really is about; Improving your child's play, and watching them enjoy the damn sport. This is my second season coaching lacrosse, and I finished my first season of hockey, and the parents can be the worst part of it.

I've seen amazing parent coaches, and terrible parent coaches and I honestly think that the kids are better off not having their Dad's coaching. Unfortunately, if the Dad's can't coach their kid, they won't coach at all (which I suppose is fair) and most youth athletic programs can't afford that.

I've only been formally taught about coaching Hockey, because Lacrosse still isn't quite large enough in the country to be organized to that degree, but the USA Hockey Association is doing a pretty good job of making sure youth coaches have the tools and knowledge to coach. I love doing it and know I will be for a very long time.

EDIT: The hockey team I coached was pretty bad, but the amount of improvement we saw from the beginning of the season to the end of the season was so dramatic it was considered a pretty successful season.

Kyoufu

I don't care about Arsenal now. I just care about finishing in the top 5 and for that, Chelsea must lose to Arsenal.

I'd rather get top 4. The CL money is absolutely crucial to building our squad.

Form is temporary man, it can change at any moment one way or another. But I'm sure you know that anyway. In any case, Newcastle have to win otherwise the Arsenal v Chelsea result is detrimental to their cause one way or another.

Indeed. The form comes from finding our feet though. We've been top 6 all season but it's only since the past 5 games that we've found our best formations/tactics/players.

Alan Hansen said it best on Match of the Day: "Right now Newcastle could beat anybody" and it's true.

Heck, we may even have had better luck against Arsenal if Cisse played instead of Ameobi.

Wilbur

Banned
Chris how did you get into coaching? All of that post sounds brilliant; it's something I've become increasingly attracted to recently. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? Did you start young or whatever??

I'd rather get top 4. The CL money is absolutely crucial to building our squad.

Indeed. The form comes from finding our feet though. We've been top 6 all season but it's only since the past 5 games that we've found our best formations/tactics/players.

Alan Hansen said it best on Match of the Day: "Right now Newcastle could beat anybody" and it's true.

Heck, we may even have had better luck against Arsenal if Cisse played instead of Ameobi.

Don't forget....WE DREW AGANST WOLVES! (That should be your tag btw).
I think we'd all rather get top 4, the Arsenal - Chelsea game will be crucial to either of our ambitions though. It's pointless to say at this point to say who we want to win seeing as we don't know what our position will be then.

Find a community club in your local area. Promise to stay with them and coach one of their teams for a few years. If you're lucky they might agree to fund, or part fund, you're FA Level 1 License (which you NEED now). I've been extremely fortunate that my local community club was one that I played for as a kid, and they've paid for most of that course I've went to (Level 2, Youth Module 1,2,3 & GK Level 1).
I'm 27. Been coaching for 2 years. It was something I always wanted to do, but never really got around to doing it. I feel like I've started late, as there are a lot of people coaching as soon as their playing careers are over now. There's a fantastic coach at the Academy who's been coaching for 10 years and he's only 26!

FA website will help you:

http://www.thefa.com/GetIntoFootball/parentsandvolunteers/CoachingVolunteering/Get Into Coaching

As will your County FA. Keep in touch with your County FA, the one I'm with have a bunch of great guys and they will help you out. Its also good for networking.

Parents (and I don't necessarily mean parent coaches) are some of the worst things about athletics at the youth level. There is so much politicking amongst them and the program directors. And then, as you noted, they get upset because they aren't winning or because their child isn't progressing close enough to get a scholarship or whatever and they fail to realize what it really is about; Improving your child's play, and watching them enjoy the damn sport. This is my second season coaching lacrosse, and I finished my first season of hockey, and the parents can be the worst part of it.

I've seen amazing parent coaches, and terrible parent coaches and I honestly think that the kids are better off not having their Dad's coaching. Unfortunately, if the Dad's can't coach their kid, they won't coach at all (which I suppose is fair) and most youth athletic programs can't afford that.

I've only been formally taught about coaching Hockey, because Lacrosse still isn't quite large enough in the country to be organized to that degree, but the USA Hockey Association is doing a pretty good job of making sure youth coaches have the tools and knowledge to coach. I love doing it and know I will be for a very long time.

EDIT: The hockey team I coached was pretty bad, but the amount of improvement we saw from the beginning of the season to the end of the season was so dramatic it was considered a pretty successful season.

This is how you should measure success as a youth/development coach. This is what I tell the kids I coach and their parents (very lucky now to have a great bunch of parents who are all on board and happy their child has a team to play for).
You're 100% correct about parents, they can make and break a team, and it surprised me how selfish they could be. I mean, I understand they believe they're acting in their child's best interest (Who doesn't want to win right?), but you ask a child 'Why do you play football (or any sport)?' and they'll say: 1. Friends. 2. I enjoy it. Very rarely will they say 'Winning' first.

I've watched a few NCAA Lacrosse games on ESPN America now and then. Seems like a real frantic game!

Kyoufu

Don't forget....WE DREW AGANST WOLVES! (That should be your tag btw).
I think we'd all rather get top 4, the Arsenal - Chelsea game will be crucial to either of our ambitions though. It's pointless to say at this point to say who we want to win seeing as we don't know what our position will be then.

Don't do this to me...

I'm trying to forget that ever happened. Can't believe we drew with Wolves. Feck!

Find a community club in your local area. Promise to stay with them and coach one of their teams for a few years. If you're lucky they might agree to fund, or part fund, you're FA Level 1 License (which you NEED now). I've been extremely fortunate that my local community club was one that I played for as a kid, and they've paid for most of that course I've went to (Level 2, Youth Module 1,2,3 & GK Level 1).

FA website will help you:

http://www.thefa.com/GetIntoFootball/parentsandvolunteers/CoachingVolunteering/Get Into Coaching

As will your County FA. Keep in touch with your County FA, the one I'm with have a bunch of great guys and they will help you out. Its also good for networking.

This is how you should measure success as a youth/development coach. This is what I tell the kids I coach and their parents (very lucky now to have a great bunch of parents who are all on board and happy their child has a team to play for).
You're 100% correct about parents, they can make and break a team, and it surprised me how selfish they could be. I mean, I understand they believe they're acting in their child's best interest (Who doesn't want to win right?), but you ask a child 'Why do you play football (or any sport)?' and they'll say: 1. Friends. 2. I enjoy it. Very rarely will they say 'Winning' first.

I've watched a few NCAA Lacrosse games on ESPN America now and then. Seems like a real frantic game!

Lacrosse is the greatest game in the world. Once you understand the rules, you'll realize how slow it can be and how intricate the plays can be. I want the sport to grow so much because it takes all the best parts of Hockey, Basketball, and Football. I can't talk enough about it and it makes me sad that for the most part I can't.

I'm really happy to see USA Hockey begin to implement a similar system to what the FA seems to have with regards to coaching levels and youth modules. They actually require every active coach within the USA Hockey systems to be Level One certified as well.

Lacrosse is the greatest game in the world. Once you understand the rules, you'll realize how slow it can be and how intricate the plays can be. I want the sport to grow so much because it takes all the best parts of Hockey, Basketball, and Football. I can't talk enough about it and it makes me sad that for the most part I can't.

I'm really happy to see USA Hockey begin to implement a similar system to what the FA seems to have with regards to coaching levels and youth modules. They actually require every active coach within the USA Hockey systems to be Level One certified as well.

To be fair the changes the FA have made to the coaching pathway have been very recent. The Youth Modules have only been in place the last 18 months or so. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who is going to coach children, regardless of what level (grassroot/development/academy). Its a fun and interesting course and looks more into learning behaviours and how to engaged and capture a young person's imagination and attention.

I understand your feeling towards Lacrosse, I feel the same way about youth football and, in a way, coaching. I like coaching, almost to the point where I'm starting to look at Level 1's in other sports. Was tempted to take the Basketball course, but its price range (and the unknown) deterred me for now.
There really is something great about seeing a young person develop as a footballer, and a person I guess. Seeing that kid who turned up, who had never played football before, who couldn't get into a team improve is such a rewarding feeling. Seeing his confidence grow.
I think its important as a coach to be aware of what each person's potential is/could be. Not everyone is going to be a world beater, some might not even be good enough to make it to 11-a-side. But if you're aware of that, and if you can coach what is needed to help that player reach their potential - you're a real coach.
Some kids might just want to play for a team. If you're brave enough to give them that chance, knowing they've never kicked a ball before, you've done the right thing. Teaching them the basics of football and you've helped a player fulfil their potential.

Some players will challenge you, they'll be good, perhaps better than you have the knowledge to share with them to improve them. So you have to improve yourself all the time, even as a coach. Network with other coaches, ask to watch their sessions. Any good coach should be more than comfortable to share their knowledge with you.

Raul is off to Qatar according to Bild.

Finally Gelsenkirchen lost the only player I respect/appreciate..

/edit
Oh, seems like they're just quoting Spanish newspapers.

Clegg

I hope you don't mind me going off topic with this coaching stuff.

I'll be coaching kids this summer in how to play tag rugby. Obviously its non contact because they're only kids but I'm still quite nervous. I'm being asked to become an influence to these kids in the hope that they stick with the sport.

Its quite daunting when you think of it that way.

I hope you don't mind me going off topic with this coaching stuff.

I'll be coaching kids this summer in how to play tag rugby. Obviously its non contact because they're only kids but I'm still quite nervous. I'm being asked to become an influence to these kids in the hope that they stick with the sport.

Its quite daunting when you think of it that way.

Just make sure they have fun and encourage the more exciting elements while making sure they stay disciplined and learn to appreciate the game.

EDIT: Share with them what you love about the game.

sneaky77

So I think I just broke some high school's chick outlook on life lol.. she knocked on the door and told me they have some kind of thing at the park saturday which is cool, and then she was like, we are also giving this book out to people with the story of the bible and I was honest and was like I think you should give that to someone else because I am never going to actually read it, I felt like I ran over her puppy or something, is nothing against religion or anything but oh well I fully expect my house to be set on fire as soon as I leave now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom