• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

I don't miss anyone from that team really, I sure as hell wouldn't have any of them (Nolan, Barton etc) in the starting 11!

I'll always love Nolan for that hat-trick in the derby though.

I'd have kept Jose Enrique as he was on great form and would have carried on had he stayed.

I'd also have kept Barton but thanks to him leaving, Ben Arfa stepped up over time. Still, Barton would have made a quality squad player on the bench, though I doubt he would have liked that.

Kyoufu

Pardew was looking at Taraabt with interest. If QPR get relegated I could see us getting him.

Though Ben Arfa is a better player.

Not even Enrique?

I'd have kept Jose Enrique as he was on great form and would have carried on had he stayed.

I'd also have kept Barton but thanks to him leaving, Ben Arfa stepped up over time. Still, Barton would have made a quality squad player on the bench, though I doubt he would have liked that.

Yeah Enrique I probably would have kept, forgot about him there. Then again it's difficult to 'miss' anyone when we've came so far. Wouldn't mind a couple on the bench though, our squad is still quite thin.

kottila

Just read on twitter from a media guy that Solbakken, unsurprisingly, has been fired from Köln

it's on bild.de as well now and confirmed by him in a Norwegian newspaper

Kyoufu

Yeah Enrique I probably would have kept, forgot about him there. Then again it's difficult to 'miss' anyone when we've came so far. Wouldn't mind a couple on the bench though, our squad is still quite thin.

I'm very excited to see who we get in the summer. Pardew says we'll be strengthening the squad definitely.

I know that Erik Pieters is all but confirmed to join. Possibly Douglas from FC Twente too.

edit: Oh and we're interested in M. Davies from Bolton too.

Carbonox

Pardew was looking at Taraabt with interest. If QPR get relegated I could see us getting him.

Though Ben Arfa is a better player.

Taraabt can jog on. Horrifically overrated, lazy and otherwise dickheadish player. I'm sure Ben Arfa was a challenge for Pardew but Taraabt is just shite and can't play in the Premier League to save his life.

I'm very excited to see who we get in the summer. Pardew says we'll be strengthening the squad definitely.

I know that Erik Pieters is all but confirmed to join. Possibly Douglas from FC Twente too.

Yeah, Pieters and Douglas are all but done. Same with Amalfitano from Reims. Though he'll be more of a reserves player I guess due to his age. We'll probably get another defender, another midfielder or two and maybe ditch Lovenkrands and Best and get a decent third choice striker (though will technically be 4th due to Pardew's hard on for Ameobi).

Dwells on the ball far too often. He usually gets away with it, but wish he'd just clear the ball sometimes.

His decision making is a bit appalling at times. His stand up defending is first class when he's showing down the line, very rarely if every get beat. However, he often gets beat when a defender cuts inside as he never expects it. He's so focused and determined to show down the line and use his strength that he's not set to turn.

His marking used to be pretty poor too though I think its improved.

His forward play still looks like his biggest weakness.

elsk

Banned
Köln sacked Stale Solbakken.

edit:

AqSvcbwCIAA6_ci.jpg

:(

Wilbur

Banned
I'm interested to know.

English people.

Do you care about the England National Team?
What part of the country do you live in?

South London, and not really. I'll watch them in the Euros and I obviously want them to win, but not fussed if they don't. Haven't watched an England match since the world cup

WJD

I'm interested to know.

English people.

I think you already know that the more Northern people are going to be less infatuated with the National Team.

I don't mind them myself and generally like to see England doing well, though it's not the end of the world if we don't. But there are some insufferable cunts in there and we play pretty god awful football most of the time.

Clegg

Maybe the idea's to make him play a central role? I've heard he has in the past. He doesn't look speedy/tricky enough to be a PL winger anyways.

He can play centrally, behind the striker but not in CM like Carrick or Scholes.

That would mean he plays in a similar position to Rooney. Gaitan is a good player but we already have one of the worlds best players in a similar position. It just seems like a redundant signing to make.

Kyoufu

I'm interested to know.

English people.

I'm in Watford and I don't care about England at all. Probably because the golden generation is over. No Shearer, Beckham, Owen etc.

If the English NT played in the PL, would they get relegated? trollface.jpg

Premier League has been on decline for a while now. I'll not say the last decade, but you get the idea. I think its a mixture of ageing superstars remaining in the picture as its safe and familiar for managers to use them, and more 'negative' managers appearing over the years.

English people.

Essex here, and I couldn't care less about the national team. I think that happened right about the time Wright-Phillips shattered Dean Ashton's ankle in a training match for a pointless international friendly, costing Ashton his career and costing West Ham our most promising striker in years. Also, it helps that the national side are in such an abject state, because if they actually started to look competent I might be lured into giving a damn again.

I'm interested to know.

English people.

Newcastle, not really. I think I'd care more if I got the feeling the squad gave a shit. If the players look like they don't care then I find it hard to care.

I'm looking forward to the Euros though!

Some Portuguese papers are saying it's done/close to done at €25m + 2 players.

Hope it's bullshit like last time.

I could see us wanting to offload Bebe and Macheda this summer. The deal itself sounds like bullshit, though. Gaitan just doesn't strike me as being worth that much, in terms of potential or current ability, even if we're after a Mata/Silva-type winger that can float inwards and create. The press are likely picking at the Jorge Mendes connection; although, you have to admit, the rumours have been persistent.

More solid is our interest in Hazard, it seems. Rene Meulensteen confirmed Fergie went to see that Lille match for a chance to eye the world's greatest self-promoter himself. No sign of a sure thing, mind. Rene said much the same about us following Stekelenburg and Sneijder. Pretty sure Chelsea or City will bid hard for Hazard regardless.

On the whole, I agree that we should be focussed on targeting both a midfielder and a fullback, but with Park a chance to be moved on and given certain comments about wanting more speed in the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fergie buy a winger.

Premier League has been on decline for a while now. I'll not say the last decade, but you get the idea. I think its a mixture of ageing superstars remaining in the picture as its safe and familiar for managers to use them, and more 'negative' managers appearing over the years.

You can say his name. Alex McLeish.

Essex here, and I couldn't care less about the national team. I think that happened right about the time Wright-Phillips shattered Dean Ashton's ankle in a training match for a pointless international friendly, costing Ashton his career and costing West Ham our most promising striker in years. Also, it helps that the national side are in such an abject state, because if they actually started to look competent I might be lured into giving a damn again.

Wouldn't West Ham have declared him fit to travel?

Seems that people share the same attitude towards the England squad and for the same reasons. I'd like for one of the supporter groups to do a real survey into it though, to see if it was the same on a larger scale.

So much needs to be done to correct the England squad's image and reputation. Sadly, it looks as though Harry Redknapp will become England manager, which for me is that last thing it needs to start that process of 'cleansing'.

Wayne Rooney
Steven Gerrard
John Terry

All hugely dislikable, all play for different clubs. Its no wonder people struggle to cheer for a team containing so many players they can't stand every time its someone other than England play

Clegg

I could see us wanting to offload Bebe and Macheda this summer. The deal itself sounds like bullshit, though. Gaitan just doesn't strike me as being worth that much, in terms of potential or current ability, even if we're after a Mata/Silva-type winger that can float inwards and create. The press are likely picking at the Jorge Mendes connection; although, you have to admit, the rumours have been persistent.

More solid is our interest in Hazard, it seems. Rene Meulensteen confirmed Fergie went to see that Lille match for a chance to eye the world's greatest self-promoter himself. No sign of a sure thing, mind. Rene said much the same about us following Stekelenburg and Sneijder. Pretty sure Chelsea or City will bid hard for Hazard regardless.

On the whole, I agree that we should be focussed on targeting both a midfielder and a fullback, but with Park a chance to be moved on and given certain comments about wanting more speed in the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fergie buy a winger.

I wouldn't listen too much to Meulensteen. He talks an awful lot of rubbish.

In that same interview he also dismissed any possible transfer move for Kevin Strootman.

I genuinely think United will sign a CM this summer. Ando is always injured, Clev is inexperienced, Pogba could be leaving, and Giggs is a bad CM. Carrick and Scholes are our only quality CM's.

Seems that people share the same attitude towards the England squad and for the same reasons. I'd like for one of the supporter groups to do a real survey into it though, to see if it was the same on a larger scale.

So much needs to be done to correct the England squad's image and reputation. Sadly, it looks as though Harry Redknapp will become England manager, which for me is that last thing it needs to start that process of 'cleansing'.

I'm not English, so I may be missing some key things that I may not notice or understand, but, I think, as you've already mentioned, that the old guard needs to go. John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole all need to retire. Welbeck, Baines, Richards, Sturridge, Walker, and Wilshere need to be getting more consistent playing time for the team. Only a few of the players who are between 25-30 should be consistently there. Rooney, and Barry are two names that come to mind.

Actually, looking at the recent squad and call-ups it looks like the only players with any significant number of caps are all old. It just seems like Capello did little to prepare the team for posterity. Also, Walcott is only 23, my mind explodes at that.

EDIT: I may just load up FM2012 and lead the England squad to a new era.

dschalter

Wayne Rooney
Steven Gerrard
John Terry

All hugely dislikable, all play for different clubs. Its no wonder people struggle to cheer for a team containing so many players they can't stand every time its someone other than England play

that's true of a lot of sides though. as for my perspective, an outsider i'd say that the problem is that people in england have inflated expectations and thus it's pretty much inevitable that they'll be "disappointed" very often and end up by talking about what horrible underachievers the players are and they'll then sink into the anti-hype silliness where they talk about how bad and stupid english players are compared to those of other countries.

penalties though, that's a different story.

WJD

The only positive I can see out of Redknapp getting the job is that he might try and get us to play mildly entertaining football.

I look at the potential squad for the Euro's and I just don't understand how anyone will be able to get much out of it.

What's our best team? Something like

Hart

Richards
Rio (yes, he should go)
Terry
Baines

Wilshere (KIA)
Parker
Carrick? Barry? Gerrard?

Young
Rooney (suspended anyway...)
Walcott? Sturridge? Welbeck?

bloody awful.

I wouldn't listen too much to Meulensteen. He talks an awful lot of rubbish.

Meulensteen was awesome when he was in Denmark. Started out saying Copenhagen would be "fucking miles away" if we kept doing as we did. Then later when everything went to shit with Brøndby he left the club, after the chairman and his son had been buying players without his knowledge, then described in a dutch newspaper how the meetings had been... Like how he had yelled the chairman that he was a fucking doctor (which is true) and medication wasn't enough for the club, they had to undergo surgery. Also tried sell their captain (who had been at the club all his career).

He was pure hilarity having here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom