• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

The main point is that we need a new striker anyway. ACoN is in January and we'll lose both Ba and Cisse. Plus Ramadan in the autumn which will affect both players (as it affected Ba last year). That pretty much leaves us with Ameobi and Best and...yeah.

God dammit. We're royally screwed if we don't sign a world class striker or two.

This story seems to be circulating about Ronaldo on the internets.

If Ronaldo is booked tmrw, he misses El Classico. No big deal then.

I hope its true because its a great story but I have my doubts. Not because of the Ronaldo part, but the missing on purpose. Young players are often super competitive in trials. If he didn't think he was good enough, why would be there? He rejected a chance to have potentially a career in the sport. Whilst it may not have been playing for Real, he would have found a club somewhere and thus a salary. Doesn't make sense.

Clegg

Giuseppe Rossi has injured his knee again. Out for another 6 months :(

I thought it was a great suggestion.

Again?

He has no luck at all. He was doing great with Villarreal before his injury.

You now have to wonder if hes ever going to be as good as he was pre-injury.

Just terrible luck for him.

Wessiej

Gaf how good is Christian Eriksen?

tumblr_lzor6cqh4j1qmz06ho1_500.gif

Such a good duo <3

Love Eriksen.

Keio

For a Finer World
I hope its true because its a great story but I have my doubts. Not because of the Ronaldo part, but the missing on purpose. Young players are often super competitive in trials. If he didn't think he was good enough, why would be there? He rejected a chance to have potentially a career in the sport. Whilst it may not have been playing for Real, he would have found a club somewhere and thus a salary. Doesn't make sense.

Is there a source anywhere? There's just so much wrong on so many levels (who scores more goals goes through to start with; I've read that Ronaldo was scouted to Lisbon thanks to his speed and skill)...

Smeghead

I bet Villarreal took a hammer to Rossi's knee since he was going to be leaving in the summer.

Gonna have to rely on a perennial bottler Di Natalie, a half fit Cassano and a mentally unstable Balotelli to lead the line for the Euro's.

Time for for Prandelli to unleash Amauri to the international stage

GQman2121

Banned
Is there a source anywhere? There's just so much wrong on so many levels (who scores more goals goes through to start with; I've read that Ronaldo was scouted to Lisbon thanks to his speed and skill)...
No source, does sound pretty crazy though.

Anyhow, this story would have taken place well after Ronaldo signed with Sporting. He signed for them when he was 11. Ronaldo actually moving to Sporting is the most impressive thing about him IMO. He left home and moved to the mainland as an 11 year old boy away from his family. That's serious dedication and desire (though I guess alot of players have done that...but for somebody like me anyway, that'd take some doing). He was bullied quite alot too. He tells a great story about one incident;

Let me tell you a story. When I was at Sporting, in the academy, I was punished once because of something I did at school and so at night I used to take the trash to the dump. I remember I had to walk past the lounge where all the other kids were hanging out. And the garbage bin, it had the name "Ferrari". One day there were a couple of kids laughing at me and they used to shout "Vrum! Vrum! There goes the Ferrari". So I turned to them and said, "Hey keep laughing, one day I'll have a real Ferrari". And well...

Alot of people hate him which is fair enough, but even so, people should watch this documentary of him. It's Portuguese but with English subs, they follow him around for a few days and you just see him on a day to day basis. You might change your mind.

Cristiano Ronaldo - O Regresso dos Incriveis

Bumhead

Banned

Off topic, but the bloke on the right there doing the spin reminds of something I saw at a match once. We were playing Barnsley away and it was half time. Some bloke was stood at the front of the stand with a coat on talking to his mate on the phone. One of our players warming up ballooned the ball wide of the goal with a ridiculous shot, towards the bloke on the phone. Next thing, the bloke on the phone traps the ball, kicks it up in the air, spins around exactly like that and backheels it back to the player who kicked it, all in one fluid motion and all the while still on the phone, before turning around to 7,000 Wednesday fans with his arms in the air shouting "Whhheeeeeey!".

Absolutely brilliant.

Off topic, but the bloke on the right there doing the spin reminds of something I saw at a match once. We were playing Barnsley away and it was half time. Some bloke was stood at the front of the stand with a coat on talking to his mate on the phone. One of our players warming up ballooned the ball wide of the goal with a ridiculous shot, towards the bloke on the phone. Next thing, the bloke on the phone traps the ball, kicks it up in the air, spins around exactly like that and backheels it back to the player who kicked it, all in one fluid motion and all the while still on the phone, before turning around to 7,000 Wednesday fans with his arms in the air shouting "Whhheeeeeey!".

Absolutely brilliant.
Hahaha. That reminds me of a similarish incident with Ronaldo at a Chelsea game.

Ronaldo trollin'

Talon

Speaking of games - question from an american. What are prices like for games in the Premier League, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga?

sneaky77

Speaking of games - question from an american. What are prices like for games in the Premier League, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga?

I am gonna venture that 60 euros will get you in any stadium.. but obviously in some of the bigger stadiums it may not be the best seat in the house

Wessiej

I am gonna venture that 60 euros will get you in any stadium.. but obviously in some of the bigger stadiums it may not be the best seat in the house

The higher the better. I love being at the top of the stadium, everybody is standing there, having a laugh and the sight is much better.

I know the Bundesliga is the cheapest. Wasn't there going to be some kind of protest because tickets were going to cost as "high" at 30 euros or something?

Average PL ticket price is about £35-£40. One of my friends once paid £70 to watch Arsenal. £70.

Talon

That's more affordable than I expected. Granted there are only 8 home games (in a 16 game season) but american football games really start at about $80. Even our baseball games (81 home games in a 162 game season) probably average at about $30 for decent tickets.

sneaky77

That's more affordable than I expected. Granted there are only 8 home games (in a 16 game season) but american football games really start at about $80. Even our baseball games (81 home games in a 162 game season) probably average at about $30 for decent tickets.

also most places you don't need to pay the extra $30 for parking like nfl games around here in charlotte anyway lol

Slizz

also most places you don't need to pay the extra $30 for parking like nfl games around here in charlotte anyway lol

This is the killer. It's so ridiculous... and it varies on significance of the game which makes it even worse.

I'll go to a College Football game against a no-name team and pay 20, then as soon as it's a rival team or a ranked team its up to 40$ just to fucking park! On top of my 60$ ticket to get in, and the 8$ beer and 6+$ food item.

And then, after alllllll that you get to sit in gridlock traffic at the end of the game for at least 20 minutes before you EXIT the stadium.

SIDENOTE: Catch the latest ep of Community, Alison Brie's cleavage is out of control(see av) the whole episode, I needed to re-watch after the first time...

sneaky77

This is the killer. It's so ridiculous... and it varies on significance of the game which makes it even worse.

I'll go to a College Football game against a no-name team and pay 20, then as soon as it's a rival team or a ranked team its up to 40$ just to fucking park! On top of my 60$ ticket to get in, and the 8$ beer and 6+$ food item.

And then, after alllllll that you get to sit in gridlock traffic at the end of the game for at least 20 minutes before you EXIT the stadium.

SIDENOTE: Catch the latest ep of Community, Alison Brie's cleavage is out of control(see av) the whole episode, I needed to re-watch after the first time...

yeah I refuse to buy shit at stadiums, fuck that shit.

I paid 10 quid with my student card to see Newcastle - Blackburn in the FA cup this year.

I was given a ticket for the Sunderland game for free by a total stranger 5 minutes before kick off. I love Newcastle!

Kyoufu

I paid 10 quid with my student card to see Newcastle - Blackburn in the FA cup this year.

I was given a ticket for the Sunderland game for free by a total stranger 5 minutes before kick off. I love Newcastle!

Must have been awesome to see Ben Arfa's wonder goal live.

Must have been awesome to see Ben Arfa's wonder goal live.

It was, we were in the Gallogate aswell so we saw the whole thing. If he wanted to he could have taken it through the entire crowd. Magic.

Jonas' 90th minute winner was pretty good too. Not a bad day out for 10 quid :D

Kyoufu

It was, we were in the Gallogate aswell so we saw the whole thing. If he wanted to he could have taken it through the entire crowd. Magic.

Jonas' 90th minute winner was pretty good too. Not a bad day out for 10 quid :D

Too bad we suck and went out to a Championship side. :(

Hopefully with our quality up front we can give the tournaments a good go next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom