• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
ClevGOD threw me off.
I think that's what he though hardest about. Paid off too.

"World class" is a pretty loose term and everybody has their own meaning attached to it. I'm quite harsh in my assessment of world class, or at least I sense that when I speak to people about who they think is "world class". For me, Suarez isn't a world class player, or in more defined terms, an elite level player. He has moment and games in which he is, but on the whole he isn't. I say that because as a forward he needs to be a much better finisher than he has shown himself to be this season and because for me he still has a few too many quiet games.

Just for the sake of it, here are the players who I would consider to be "world class" from the PL.

GK - Reina
DEF - Vidic, Kompany, Sagna
MID - Silva, Yaya Toure, Modric
FW - Aguero, Tevez, RVP, Rooney

And that's it, and even then there's some players there I wouldn't be 100% sure about, Modric and Rooney both blow hot and cold a little bit too often. However, I'd I had a straight choice between any of these and Suarez for a team i'd pick them all over Suarez, apart from Sagna because I don't think RB is essential to as much as central positions but Sagna is a "world class" RB.

Suarez has had a poorer season than the likes of Bale, Valencia, Dempsey, Sessengon, Mata, Balotelli...maybe in some cases a comparable season. None of those players are world class, not yet anyway. Suarez may well get there and he did do very very well at Ajax and consistently does well for Uruguay too. He can be great, but he's not been so far in the PL and so I couldn't consider him a top level player.

World class should be a term reserved for the very best players in the world. The likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta and Xavi are maybe a level above that even because they may go down as all time greats. But currently when you have players like those at the top of the game and others like the top ones in Germany and Italy as well as the others in Spain itself and the ones I listed above. In most cases Suarez wouldn't even be close to them in my mind.

Anyways, that's my analysis of Luis Suarez, the footballer.

As a man it's quite obv, Mastadon explained how he saved Heitinga's life so he's stellar.

West Brom 1-0 QPR

untitled-1441byp.gif

bud

if suarez is considered "world class" by some people itt, does that mean he's up there with messi and ronaldo for example?

Salazar

My ignore list is exclusively people who trash-talk kpop.

Except for morsel, who gets a pass somehow.

United fans on twitter tearing strips off nervous United fans, lol.

You came across as if you were subtly trying to start a arguement.

Not my fault you read my post the wrong way. I don't do anything "subtly" as you put it. If I wanted to start an argument, I would start one.

Looks like this thread has become a Suarez hate thread again. Time to bail out.

Kyoufu

There is no doubt Suarez is a skilled player

he needs to stop being such a tool though, seriously.

Nobody is saying he's not skilled though, which I don't think Morsel understands. Just saying there are a bunch of others I'd rather have.

Yen

And that's why we love him.

:eek: Ignore lists? What is this you guys speak of.
Football-gaf is all good in my books. But some posters in the off-topic sections annoy me. The ones that post in every thread, trying to make jokes/puns every time or just controversial comments. Very yawn-worthy.

I find nothing more tedious than the militant atheists in the OT. Any thread with any reference to religion and they are in like a flash. Give it a rest.

GorillaJu

if suarez is considered "world class" by some people itt, does that mean he's up there with messi and ronaldo for example?

I think Viva's take is fair. He's not better than Aguero, RvP, Rooney or Tevez. In fact, I think he's quite similar to Tevez but doesn't finish nearly as well.

You'd have to be delusional to think Suarez is Messi or Ronaldo level.

To me "world class" means in the top, say, 25 in the world.

immy

Banned
Not my fault you read my post the wrong way. I don't do anything "subtly" as you put it. If I wanted to start an argument, I would start one.

Looks like this thread has become a Suarez hate thread again. Time to bail out.

What?

Really?

Isn't it quite obvious that "Don't make me say what I really think of him." is code for "I think he is a prick but i'm not gonna say it". You pretty much confirm the theory when you suggest
"not sure I want to get ban at the moment".

Wilbur

Banned
Is there really an argument about Suarez's quality? He's great. Nowhere near a top class finisher, but great player. He'd be fantastic behind two strikers.

bud

does that mean suarez is up there with the likes of david villa and rvp for example, then? (edit: missed some of the posts while writing this)

i don't think suarez can be considered world class at all. he works a lot, he's the engine that keeps liverpool running, but he lacks the finesse and elegance in his way of playing football to be considered world class.

What?

Really?

Isn't it quite obvious that "Don't make me say what I really think of him." is code for "I think he is a prick but i'm not gonna say it". You pretty much confirm the theory when you suggest
"not sure I want to get ban at the moment".

Interpret it as you want buddy. But like I said if I wanted to start an argument, I would start it.

elseanio

does that mean suarez is up there with the likes of david villa and rvp for example, then? (edit: missed some of the posts while writing this)

i don't think suarez can be considered world class at all. he works a lot, he's the engine that keeps liverpool running, but he lacks the finesse and elegance in his way of playing football to be considered world class.

Would you say he was world class at Ajax?

GorillaJu

Obviously we've watched the same player and come to different conclusions.

But I'll be remembering this discussion for when we have a midfield that properly uses Suarez, and for the next world cup.

Sigurdsson!

I find nothing more tedious than the militant atheists in the OT. Any thread with any reference to religion and they are in like a flash. Give it a rest.
Lol they're pathetic. It's just like going on reddit. Which is one of many reasons that site is trash.

Whoa, mang. I was kidding. I think it's going to be a nervy game in truth.
Fair enough. I'm freaking out at the chance that Villa won't get another point this season and we get relegated :(

FootballFan

Hell to the No. As Vivalaraza said, Ronaldo Messi Xavi are above world-class. They are at the level of too good. World-Class for me is players like Rooney, Yaya, Aguero, Vidic, Busquets etc.

Suarez is not up to their standards imo but he is just under, his talent is clearly visible, I am sure if Liverpool had better team chemistry and moved around better he would be having a great goal scoring season. Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't get 30+ goals with Carroll, Adam, Downing, Henderson either.
Ok, maybe they would

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'd take Suarez any day of the week. He plays WAY better wide or behind a striker like Uruguay's Forlan or Cavani.

The closest player to Suarez is probably Lavezzi I think?

Suarez thought he heard a gunshot, so without any consideration for his own safety, he knocked Heitinga to the ground and covered him with his own body, getting him to safety and out of danger.

What a fucking hero.

3XZF1.gif
3XZF1.gif
3XZF1.gif

bud

Obviously we've watched the same player and come to different conclusions.

But I'll be remembering this discussion for when we have a midfield that properly uses Suarez, and for the next world cup.

what will happen liverpool have a midfield that "properly" uses him? and what do you mean with "properly?"

i thought we were talking about him as a footballer, not necessarily a goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom