• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Hell to the No. As Vivalaraza said, Ronaldo Messi Xavi are above world-class. They are at the level of too good. World-Class for me is players like Rooney, Yaya, Aguero, Vidic, Busquets etc.

Suarez is not up to their standards imo but he is just under, his talent is clearly visible, I am sure if Liverpool had better team chemistry and moved around better he would be having a great goal scoring season. Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't get 30+ goals with Carroll, Adam, Downing, Henderson either.
Ok, maybe they would

Exactly. When he had a team that suited his style perfectly (Ajax, Uruguay) he scores crazy good amounts of goals. How many internationals have a 1:2 record? His record for Ajax was closer to 1:1 than 1:2.

All this talk about RvP, for example, but it's neglecting to mention that not once this season has Suarez had the kind of passes from midfield that Song, Arteta and Ramsey provide for RvP. It's like having a great driver but a poor pit crew.

Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't get crazy goal scoring records because they wouldn't get the ball in dangerous positions if they played for Liverpool. They'd do better than Suarez, but they wouldn't be 30+ in a season goal scorers. We don't have a Xavi or Busquets, Alonso (we did :()

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You're Juve. You would take Heskey any day of the week.

That's actually true
4Kw2Z.gif

Give me Heskey and Bent now and I won't complain
4Kw2Z.gif

I think Iniesta is better than Xavi.

Different midfielders. That's kinda like saying Silva is better than Pirlo.

FootballFan

I'd take Suarez any day of the week. He plays WAY better wide or behind a striker like Uruguay's Forlan or Cavani.

He would be awesome at Juve I reckon. Could become a legend like Del Piero.
Kidding, that's impossible.

Yeah Lavezzi is probably most similar to him. Their ability to change directions in an instant is awesome.

bud

i don't see how you can compare iniesta and xavi and choose one over the other--they're different kind of players. xavi is more of a passer whereas iniesta is more of a dribbler.

Sleepy

I cannot believe that Everton blew it. I kinda wanted to see Liverpool go down. Oh, well...Suarez played well and even Carroll got a goal, so there was at least some entertainment. Norwich vs. Man City was a joke; talk about a streamroll.

GorillaJu

Yes he is. And he has been better than Yaya in this second half of the season.

Agreed. I think between them, Song has been the more reliable of the two. Yaya gets frustrated and disappears too easily, where as Song keeps driving the ball. Yaya scores goals, but Song gets the ball to the goal scorers incredibly well.

Keane should have been let go a long time ago and Blackburn could have had a chance....shocking.
Thing is, it seems like the players are still happily playing for Kean, giving it their all etc.

I don't know about his tactics or stuff like that, but he's had a couple of his better players taken away from him and their still seems to be a good spirit in that team. Had he been sacked, cannot imagine a high calibre manager in their right mind who would have taken that job

Soi-Fong

Well, credit to City for mauling Norwich. I swear if we can't hold off City's comeback then we deserve to lose the title. Any more games like the one against Wigan and we're screwed.

Knew that talk of title being sealed after City's Arsenal game was all BS. Still plenty more points to go aroind.

Manager

Agreed. I think between them, Song has been the more reliable of the two. Yaya gets frustrated and disappears too easily, where as Song keeps driving the ball. Yaya scores goals, but Song gets the ball to the goal scorers incredibly well.

And Yaya don't? His lobs are Xavi-class. I'm not sure where all this sudden Yaya hate is coming from.

He doesn't really have any big flaws. He's the engine of City and the biggest reason City are where they are. When he's out, City suffer.

Today, he came on in the 63rd minute. Norwich had 70% possession after HT and was close to equalise 2-2. 15 minutes later and it's 5-1.

GorillaJu

Sigurdsson is destined for a big team. My goodness, his quality is insane.

And Yaya don't? His lobs are Xavi-class. I'm not sure where all this sudden Yaya hate is coming from.

He doesn't really have any big flaws. He's the engine of City and the biggest reason City are where they are. When he's out, City suffer.

Today, he came on in the 63rd minute. Norwich had 70% possession in 2nd half and was close to equalise 2-2. 15 minutes later and it's 5-1.

It's not hate. I'm just comparing what I've seen between two players. Of the two, I think Song has had a better season.

Sleepy

Swansea play really beautiful football. They deserve to stay in the PL.

Oh-- I think I would ratehr watch Xavi play then Iniesta. I don't know who's better, though.

what will happen liverpool have a midfield that "properly" uses him? and what do you mean with "properly?"

i thought we were talking about him as a footballer, not necessarily a goal scorer.

We need a midfield who will actually move when Suarez has the ball, and get into space or at least drag defenders away from him. Too often Suarez starts running forward with the ball, then next thing you know his teammates have stayed back and let the other tesam defenders triple up on him. It doesn't matter how good you are at dribbling if you're facing those numbers (unless you're Messi)

We need Gerrard to get around Suarez to play regular one-twos. Maxi, Bellamy and Henderson are capable of similar pieces of play, but Maxi never plays, Bellamy can't play too much and Henderson is rarely near Suarez.

We need players to actually look for his runs when he bursts past the last defender. Suarez isn't particularly quick across the ground, so the pass has to be spotted and played early. I think Adam was supposed to be able to do this, but it seems like Kenny bought Adam based on MotD highlights as he is clearly incapable of consistently weighing his long passesin a way that makes an early ball to Suarez a viable regular tactic.

Also, he's not great at keeping himself onside, so it makes it even more imperative that the pass is played early

Today, he came on in the 63rd minute. Norwich had 70% possession after HT and was close to equalise 2-2. 15 minutes later and it's 5-1.
Messi, post your Xavihandoutcalmdownbro.gif NOWWWWWW!

Manager

Sigurdsson is destined for a big team. My goodness, his quality is insane.

It's not hate. I'm just comparing what I've seen between two players. Of the two, I think Song has had a better season.

Not hate per-se, but what you and others said. I really haven't seen Yaya disappear in matches, anytime. If City are in attack, you can count on Yaya being involved in the passing. Doesn't matter if it's left side or right side.

I'd agree on several City players not having a good season. Yaya is not one of them and to me is a cornerstone of City. Many players in the squad can be replaced but it would be very hard to replace Yaya.

FuturusX

Thing is, it seems like the players are still happily playing for Kean, giving it their all etc.

I don't know about his tactics or stuff like that, but he's had a couple of his better players taken away from him and their still seems to be a good spirit in that team. Had he been sacked, cannot imagine a high calibre manager in their right mind who would have taken that job

It's a premier league job. With the right money they could have found someone.

It's the job of the owners to protect the club at all costs. Premier league survival is everything. Team spirit is all well and good, but the results have not been good enough. The writing has been on the wall for a quite a while.

Kean keeping Blackburn up was a gamble...if the go down, then they will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Manager

Messi, post your Xavihandoutcalmdownbro.gif NOWWWWWW!

Yaya is one of the best lobbers in the world. His lobs are literally the only things that has made my jaw drop watching City in the last couple of years, together with Tevez work rate.

Xavi is better at passing and etc, but Yaya has some how mastered lobbing.

GorillaJu

We need a midfield who will actually move when Suarez has the ball, and get into space or at least drag defenders away from him. Too often Suarez starts running forward with the ball, then next thing you know his teammates have stayed back and let the other tesam defenders triple up on him. It doesn't matter how good you are at dribbling if you're facing those numbers (unless you're Messi)

We need Gerrard to get around Suarez to play regular one-twos. Maxi, Bellamy and Henderson are capable of similar pieces of play, but Maxi never plays, Bellamy can't play too much and Henderson is rarely near Suarez.

We need players to actually look for his runs when he bursts past the last defender. Suarez isn't particularly quick across the ground, so the pass has to be spotted and played early. I think Adam was supposed to be able to do this, but it seems like Kenny bought Adam based on MotD highlights as he is clearly incapable of consistently weighing his long passesin a way that makes an early ball to Suarez a viable regular tactic.

Also, he's not great at keeping himself onside, so it makes it even more imperative that the pass is played early

I think the most important thing is having someone to give him space. It's too easy for teams to double or triple mark him, because there's so little repercussion - all the players that surround him offer very little threat on goal.

With Uruguay, he has Maxi Perreira, and a little-known player named Edinson Cavani. If he had the right amount of support, we'd see a lot more moments of brilliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom