• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

"For me, that goal alone was worth £35m," Carragher said

lol, RAWK in human form.

Ferg said:
"Two or three years ago Liverpool beat us 4-1 at Old Trafford and that genius Benitez said they had planned to beat us by playing long balls in behind"

Damn.

Think Young is a definite starter. Also betting on Chicha getting another start.

Blablurn

considering you have your own teams, how much do yall like the NBA over there?

is it like the way we look at the Big 3 leagues over here instead of the MLS?

i think out of my friend only two others like nba. but those two are really into it. most of the other germans dont care much though. there was a little hype when dirk won it, but it didnt last too long. american sports in general is not that popular in germany. germany is more about football, f1 and handball (lol).

Fantomex

So I finished Mass Effect 3 today. Great game overall. But it's like, the ending is horrible. I was Hoping the Internet was exaggerating but they weren't. I'd still recommend you play it once at least.

Ronaldinho's career arch makes me sad more than anything. He could have been an absolute legend.

United have been heavily linked with Nathaniel Clyne. But hes a RB.

I agree that United will be spending again this Summer.

We don't have £100m to spend though.

Clyne can play LB, too. He's done it for Crystal Palace and England Youth quite well. His contract is expiring in the summer, so he'll be done on the cheap.

We'll spend. Our net spend for the past few seasons has been pretty low, so we can afford a minor splurge at least, especially with Berbatov (and maybe Park and Owen) freeing up some space on the wage bill.

------------DDG
Rafael Evans Rio Evra
------ Carrick Scholes
Valencia Cleverley Young
---------- Rooney

Fixed. Villa have conceded a lot from set-pieces this season, so I think Young will start, even though I wouldn't mind Nani. Rafael and Valencia have a great partnership on the wing. Cleverley looked one of our better players against Wigan and I'd prefer the organization of a three-man midfield to another below-par performance from Welbeck or Chicharito. Better to bring one of them and Giggs on in the second half against tired legs. And Evra will play, you know he will.

dc89

Bask in the glory Shogun and let them moan. As Moyes said, the world wanted Everton to win, concurred by Salazar's, "make the world smile" line this morning. We've just taken on the world Shogun, and and no gif sums it up better than this one.

untitled-13cjli.gif

I think to a degree Liverpool have brought this on themselves. Kenny conducts his interviews in a siege mentality style, he acts like its Liverpool V The World and The World are now only happy to comply.

Aguero is the best striker in the league, in my opinion.

<3

Awesome player. Not much more I can say.

GorillaJu

Kenny carries himself in interviews as if reporters are the absolute scum of the earth, really. I feel like he could keep that dismissive element without being such a dick sometimes, though.

Yen

iXM8XTHlBhdce.gif

Fantastic reaction to a dive :lol
I remember in the 04/05 season, Liverpool were playing Crystal Palace at Anfield and Palace's Finnish (Jü&#375;úøëppyylll) midfielder "fouled" a Liverpool player and when he was arguing with the ref he did the same thing and got booked for it

hom3land

Started following the epl for the first time this year. Got behind QPR since I wanted to support a newly promoted team, they're in London, new owners have money, and they won the championship League. Give it to me straight. What's the odds of them staying up? Was hopeful but yesterday's loss destroyed that. Really hope they don't, would be difficult to follow them in the lower league from the states.

Wilbur

Banned
United fans, do you really feel like Ashley Young hasn't done well for you guys? It seems like you all bitch about him, but after games you are usually pretty happy because he gets a critical assist or goal. He may not be the smartest footballer, but I think he fits into United's system because he runs his ass off and often ends up in the right place at the right time.

Is there usually more flair occurring during Futsal matches? I'd love to watch some professional matches.

I just think he's a wanker. He seems to dive much more than he ever did at Villa, I can remember a good 10 instances he's done that this season and it fucks me off if it's the case that he does it more now because he has the protection of a big club, so to speak. He scores a few goals but I just react like I did last week: we'll done Young, you fucking cum stain.

Also thanks for the small penis comments guys, it's not like the therapy and constant knob stretching isn't already ruining my life. Liverpool won, City won, Barca won and my penis is tiny

brb gna go kil myslf

Yen

Today's Sunday Times says FSG spoke to Johan Cruyff this week and he recommended Txiki Begiristain for the DoF position. Also says we'll have a transfer budget of £20m-30m, with recruitment focused on under-21s.

Wilbur

Banned
Started following the epl for the first time this year. Got behind QPR since I wanted to support a newly promoted team, they're in London, new owners have money, and they won the championship League. Give it to me straight. What's the odds of them staying up? Was hopeful but yesterday's loss destroyed that. Really hope they don't, would be difficult to follow them in the lower league from the states.

Sorry to double post but they'll stay up. They've got a very good manager (even if he is a cock) and good home form. Wolves are definitely down, I'd say Blackburn probably are as well and I think Wigan have the momentum, so I'd say Bolton to go down.

Also is Hillsborough today? I thought it was yesterday and that's what the Alan Davies stuff was about? I'll try and watch a few of those videos tonight.

bjaelke

Oh Arshavin you muppet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r93JluqiMYw
23 years on, RIP all those lost in the Hillsborough Disaster.

LFC TV is free today, and will feature documentaries on the disaster throughout the day. The memorial service will also be shown live from 14:30

Further information:
10 key questions
News footage from the 15th, and how it was reported in the following days.
http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/
http://www.hfdinfo.com/
http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/

http://i.imgur.com/1Sc5F.png[img][/QUOTE]

Yesterday was a fantastic way to "celebrate" the anniversary. Beautiful setting, 1 minute of silence, friendly atmosphere and a Liverpool win. jft96

GorillaJu

20-30 million is not enough for Liverpool.

The plan, as it were, didn't work for us – I really can't blame the owners for going with an Arsenal-style approach. I suppose the real clincher here is that Arsenal actually had a strong first team while the youth players developed.

Salazar

I am guessing it is 30mil + money made from selling downing, adam, henderson and a couple others? So theres a good 40mil combined there.

Ease up.

I think the Adam experiment is done. Or about to wind down over the first half of next season, anyway. Downing is basically shite but he's not a liability to nearly the same degree. Henderson they really like.

GorillaJu

More importantly they need better scouting and not limit themselves to mainly English players.

Well there's no arguing against this, but if you look at your young purchases, we've had some real good ones over the last year or two from all over the world. Bijev, Pelosi from America, Ibe and Sterling from England, João Carlos from Portugal, others who's names are escaping me. We've scouted a few in Mexico as well that should come to fruition at some point.

Even saying that our first team buys were bad may be pushing it. Young would have had a bigger impact than Downing has, and Jones would have been a good buy, too, but we simply couldn't compete with United for those two. The buys we did make would've been fine if they were about half of what we paid for them. Henderson 7 or 8, Downing 10 or 11, Carroll 15m or so, etc.

It's our negotiations that are failing us the most, I think, which is probably Comolli's biggest failing.

Ease up.

I think the Adam experiment is done. Or about to wind down over the first half of next season, anyway. Downing is basically shite but he's not a liability to nearly the same degree. Henderson they really like.

Adam is our one signing this year that I wouldn't hesitate to sell. Everyone else is, at worst, bench quality. Especially because we'll be losing at least one of our older bench players, almost certainly Maxi Rodriguez.

I really hope we can get Txiki Begiristain. Cruyff was never going to happen, but this one could.

bjaelke

Kuyt is the only one leaving this Summer and maybe Maxi if he doesn't get more games. Cole and Aquilani are also gone. Don't see any of the signings from last Summer leaving already.

Mastadon

Banned
Even Adam makes a good squad player. I'd doubt we'd get much for him, and his wages ain't high so no reason for us not to keep him.

GorillaJu

What's interesting is that we've had the options of bringing in a new striker. For example, for all the credit that Jelavic is Everton's new ice man, bullet in our hearts, or whatever else ESPN came up with yesterday, we could have had him without question in January:

LIVERPOOL want to hijack West Ham’s pursuit of Rangers ace Nikica Jelavic.

And the Croatian striker’s dad revealed his son dreams of moving to Anfield — under boss Kenny Dalglish.

Championship leaders West Ham made a £6million offer for Jelavic last week — but talks have stalled over the player’s wage demands.

Jelavic’s dad Philip said: “We know about the interest of West Ham and QPR. But Nikica has five or six clubs that are interested, including that of the great Liverpool.

“As for West Ham and QPR, Nikica is more ambitious than that.

“It’s most likely that he’ll sign for Liverpool.

So we could have had a prolific goal poacher for a very low fee, but we opted to continue pushing forward with the Carroll/Suarez partnership. The club quite clearly see something that the fans don't.

dc89

I wonder what a difference it would make to have Lucas back.

A big one. Lucas will sure up the middle to allow Gerarrrrrrrrrrd to play his usual role which is a bit more free.

And Salazar, you could get that! But there will be no room for a number :D

GorillaJu

I wonder what a difference it would make to have Lucas back.

Losing Lucas is what started our horrible run of form. It's hard to pick between Agger, Lucas and Suarez who our best player is, but for me Lucas is the one that should always be in every game for the full 90.

oe3hj.jpg

God damn look at the death grips on Suarez. He's a lot stronger than his stature would hint at.

Salvadora

i'm surprised they actually made it to the 3rd position. didnt expect that at all with that team. but still, once again no trophy for wenger.

Third was a miracle,We don't have a strong enough squad even without injuries.
And don't remind me about trophies... I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Edit: I'd like to think so Mastadon but you just don't know what happens behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom