• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

We all want Rooney to score 30 yard screamers with regularity but he just isn't that kind of player. When he was younger he played with much more flair and aggression. But that aggression got him into trouble on the pitch.

He is also dropping deeper than he used to.Even with Scholes back, we lack that bit of creativity. Which is why Rooney has to go and do that work himself. I also think he realises that he is now one of the senior figures in the team. That would put pressure on anyone. He can't just lose his head like he did when he was younger. I think his increased responsibility has caused him to reign in his excesses.

I think a similar thing happened to Ronaldo while he was with us. He cut down the amount of stepovers and began linking up properly with the team. Thats when he truly started becoming a great player.

GorillaJu

Hasn't he almost hit 30 this season? Granted a few of those are penalties.

Rooney is a great striker and that's where he should be playing, but with the state of the United midfield, it's understandable that he's been played deeper and deeper.

He could be a number 10 or a false 9. But right now it seems Ferguson wants him as the playmaker. Though I'd be slightly perturbed at his work rate over the last couple months if I were the manager. From where I stand, it seems as if he's lost a little bit of his desire.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Don't know what you guys think but, I really prefer Rooney to play as midfielder or a No.10 role rather than a striker. When he drops deep, he holds the ball well and his passing is similar to carricks and scholes. Not a big fan of him playing as the leading striker, don't think he's consistant enough to get 30+ goals a season.

did you not see the Wigan game?

K1LLER7

did you not see the Wigan game?

lol yeah, well apart from that game where everyone played poor, he doesn't lack in the passing department. Hopefully we get a creative midfilder in the summer to help Carrick and Cleverly, but we'll probably buy another winger :(

Why did we stop Parker from knocking Mikel out? (Even you Chelsea fans must be sick of Mikel, terrible player) Would've been funny to see Mikel fall to the ground in a heap, I am sure Drogba would've gone down and pretended to be injured from it too. Mind you we need Parker for the remaining five games because he is the only one besides Adebayor who worked their socks off today.

Having cooled off, I think Harry got the team selection wrong yet again and he handed Chelsea that victory, I said before kick off, we have already lost by not starting Sandro, you NEED a 3 man midfield against Chelsea, we absolutely destroyed them at the bridge and today we just caved in as we had to search for goals rather than keep it tight and try and nick a goal then control the midfield.

Modric for me has been playing out his time here, he looks uninterested and I am quite frankly sick of his performances, I would seriously consider an offer for him in the summer.

Arnie

Writing a piece on the English National team for a magazine and I'm admitting that eschewing Paul Scholes for Gerrard and Lampard was a mistake.

I feel rather dirty.

Clegg

Writing a piece on the English National team for a magazine and I'm admitting that eschewing Paul Scholes for Gerrard and Lampard was a mistake.

I feel rather dirty.

You are perfectly correct though.

Maybe you should mention the pointlessness of Sven bringing Walcott to the 2006 World Cup as a 17 year old and not playing him. Or different English managers constantly selecting Heskey, even though hes been crap for about 8 years.

Why did we stop Parker from knocking Mikel out? (Even you Chelsea fans must be sick of Mikel, terrible player) Would've been funny to see Mikel fall to the ground in a heap, I am sure Drogba would've gone down and pretended to be injured from it too. Mind you we need Parker for the remaining five games because he is the only one besides Adebayor who worked their socks off today.

Having cooled off, I think Harry got the team selection wrong yet again and he handed Chelsea that victory, I said before kick off, we have already lost by not starting Sandro, you NEED a 3 man midfield against Chelsea, we absolutely destroyed them at the bridge and today we just caved in as we had to search for goals rather than keep it tight and try and nick a goal then control the midfield.

Modric for me has been playing out his time here, he looks uninterested and I am quite frankly sick of his performances, I would seriously consider an offer for him in the summer.
I'm not Mikel's biggest fan, but he hasn't been bad lately. Honestly though, I can't have Scott Parker, he's just so average as far as I'm concerned and how he get's talked up at times is beyond me. England captain, lol. Also, it was hilarious today because he looked like he was about to cry.

Arnie

You are perfectly correct though.

Maybe you should mention the pointlessness of Sven bringing Walcott to the 2006 World Cup as a 17 year old and not playing him. Or different English managers constantly selecting Heskey, even though hes been crap for about 8 years.

If I had the word count I would, but as it is I'm short on leg room. It's an article that points the finger at England's lack of style or structure as a footballing nation. My closing analogy compares England's white strip to that of a blank canvas, a layer of primer on an undecorated wall.

dschalter

i've said this before: england is perfectly fine and does roughly as it 'should' in international competitions, the problem is expectations.

that an penalties.

Arnie

i've said this before: england is perfectly fine and does roughly as it 'should' in international competitions, the problem is expectations.

that an penalties.

Oh I've included that too. We're our biggest problem. English football is remarkably consistent, we just assume that because of our domestic success(which is mostly down to foreign players) we're somehow entitled to include ourselves in the footballing elite.

The last time we reached a semi-final was Euro 1990. I didn't even exist. I wasn't even a sperm.

I'm not Mikel's biggest fan, but he hasn't been bad lately. Honestly though, I can't have Scott Parker, he's just so average as far as I'm concerned and how he get's talked up at times is beyond me. England captain, lol. Also, it was hilarious today because he looked like he was about to cry.

I like Scott Parker because he actually gives a damn about the team, sometimes he struggles with the attacking play and he looks lacking but tbh he has done an excellent job for us, we just need to find a midfielder who can handle the attacking phase a bit better to sit alongside him, Modric is ok but his performances have just got so bad.

Also who else should be England captain? A racist? A thug? A child abuser (Rooney ;p)? At least Parker gives it his all when he puts that shirt on. I guess Lampard is alright but he isn't a guarenteed starter nowadays.

Mikel is terrible, really really bad. One of the worst midfielders I have seen in a long time, is he actually good at anything?

An article on English national team? Needs something about our crappy media and how they enjoy ruining the English players, coaching staff, stadium anything they can do to get a headline. A run up to a major tournament without the media printing a few negative stories wouldn't be the same.

Clegg

If I had the word count I would, but as it is I'm short on leg room. It's an article that points the finger at England's lack of style or structure as a footballing nation. My closing analogy compares England's white strip to that of a blank canvas, a layer of primer on an undecorated wall.

Oh I've included that too. We're our biggest problem. English football is remarkably consistent, we just assume that because of our domestic success(which is mostly down to foreign players) we're somehow entitled to include ourselves in the footballing elite.

The last time we reached a semi-final was Euro 1990. I didn't even exist. I wasn't even a sperm.
The foreign player thing is definitely a good point.

Also the lack of guidance and foresight from the FA. Germany had a poor Euro 2000. Their squad was full of older players who atruggled to perform in the tournament. The German FA decided to plan ahead and invest in youth structures for the future. Bow we're beginning to see that pay off with players like Ozil and Gotze. Meanwhile, the English FA first proposed that centre of excellence 8 or 9 years ago and it still hasn't been finished.

And I'm pretty sure England got to the semi-final of Euro 96. They lost on penalties to ze Germans.

Arnie

And I'm pretty sure England got to the semi-final of Euro 96. They lost on penalties to ze Germans.

Oh aye, forgot about that, wasn't sentient at that point, I was 4 and my personality consisted of Mr Blobby and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

ShogunX

I won't be holding any grudges towards Chelsea fans. It was definitely a minority of idiots.

Added a little more desire to beat them in the final thought.

Chelsea fans disrupt minutes silence.

Have a feeling your going to be in the minority on this one mate. Not just shouting during the supposed silence but chanting murderers? Shits going to go down at both Wembley and Anfield without a doubt.

That is twice now this season that Chelsea have had to apologise because of their fans actions and despite every club having their dickhead element it appears Chelsea have more than most. Respect to the Spurs fans for showing their class.

that an penalties.

England have been shit since at least the 2002 World Cup Finals when I first began to notice how shit they were. In fact, it was my first experience of watching a truly over-rated shit team and even though it's been a decade, they have remained the most over-rated shitty team.

Have a feeling your going to be in the minority on this one mate. Not just shouting during the supposed silence but chanting murderers? Shits going to go down at both Wembley and Anfield without a doubt.

That is twice now this season that Chelsea have had to apologise because of their fans actions and despite every club having their dickhead element it appears Chelsea have more than most. Respect to the Spurs fans for showing their class.

Is there any context to this? Seems completely random for them to do this

dschalter

England have been shit since at least the 2002 World Cup Finals when I first began to notice how shit they were. In fact, it was my first experience of watching a truly over-rated shit team and even though it's been a decade, they have remained the most over-rated shitty team. Basically, they're shit. But with the amount of hype there is over them, I'd honestly rather watch Stoke City any day

euro 2004-eliminated in the quarterfinals on penalties.
wc 2006-eliminated in the quarterfinals in penalties.
euro 2008-dnq, out of a group that had two very strong teams (though that wasn't realized at the time)
wc 2010-eliminated in the round of 16.

that's not really bad, it's just below what people for whatever reason feel england 'should' be doing.

Choc

Banned
Martin Atkinson is a fucking horrendous referee based on last nights performance

FUCK ME, i was FURIOUS. He makes referees look shit. How on fucking EARTH can you give a goal like that, its beyond belief. He will get creamed so hard for that its not funny, he should NOT be refereeing premier league next week, he needs to learn a lesson

The linesman was unsighted, Atkinson was quite far away, and it was pretty clear it was a very close decision, given the number of players around the ball it would have been nigh on impossible to tell from where he was, thats why linesmen exist................

also, he clearly guessed. and even if he guessed right, THATS NOT HOW YOU FUCKING REFEREE FOOTBALL. YOU MUST BE SURE.

FUCK

sneaky77

My biggest issue with the goal is that it should have never even got to that point.. it was a clear Terry foul.. the ref was right there.. how did he miss it?

Anyway.. time to move on I guess, until they introduce some kind of goal line tech

Choc

Banned
My biggest issue with the goal is that it should have never even got to that point.. it was a clear Terry foul.. the ref was right there.. how did he miss it?

Anyway.. time to move on I guess, until they introduce some kind of goal line tech

and then theres that!

im sorry to bring this up but i have just watched the match on replay this morning and i am furious as to how shit that referee performance was.

Don't know what you guys think but, I really prefer Rooney to play as midfielder or a No.10 role rather than a striker. When he drops deep, he holds the ball well and his passing is similar to carricks and scholes. Not a big fan of him playing as the leading striker, don't think he's consistant enough to get 30+ goals a season.

Except for the season he did exactly that and scored 30+ goals. He's also scored 30 goals so far this season in his deep role.

Meier

My Porto side is in December 2018 and I only have 3 real players left on my first team. Luis Guilherme, Vaclav Kadlec (godly, if you don't have him I pity you) and Nika Kvekevskiri (sp?).

My 50% sell-on clause list is a mile long though and littered with real players who I've sold. Biggest $$ should come from Douglas and Danny Wilson if they move -- both sold for over $40 million as did Leandro. I'm afraid Hulk is going to get me no additional money though since he's now 32 and his deal with Chelsea ends in June 2019. Down to only $3.6 million in value. :(

Choc

Banned
sorry liverpool guys but....

the sun has this story that Atkinson said sorry to Harry about the goal

for fuck sake, it actually wasn't that hard to reverse decision. Go to linesman, linesman says i havent got a clue, you reverse goal. Atkinson had a long time to reverse his wrong decision.

its not over the line, at least not enough for a referee to be confident enough to give such a big game changing decision

56_goal_1D_840x420_1490774a.jpg

"The Tottenham boss confronted the official after this drubbing to ask why Juan Mata’s goal was allowed to put the Blues 2-0 up in a cracking semi-final, even though it never crossed the line.

lols

martin_atklinson-is-a-blue.jpg

Redknapp said: “Atkinson’s watched it now and says he feels worse than I do. I said, ‘I don’t think so’. But he says he feels bad"

Choc

Banned
ok this has emerged and ibelieve this is definitive

enough of this shit though, he needs to be dropped for a week or two for sure

rIiBlNOr.jpeg

Another week, another controversial decision.

I think it's about time we introduce some goal-line technology in this shit.

Just like the do in tennis when they question an out of bounds decision. Probably for shit the ref doesn't see too, like fouls behind his back etc.

Players [of any team] can't be getting away with this kind of crap in 2012.

Lightning

Banned
All I can say is that I hope Atkinson isn't doing the Arsenal vs. Chelsea game at the weekend. And Barca better hammer Chelsea, I will be really really pissed off if they don't.

offshore

And Barca better hammer Chelsea, I will be really really pissed off if they don't.

If either Spurs or Arsenal finish fourth, with Chelsea in fifth or six, then I really hope Chelsea win the CL, as seeing Spurs or Arsenal denied a CL place will bring great hilarity.

If Newcastle finish fourth, then Chelsea had better get fucking destroyed. Apologies, Chelsea-GAF.

kharma45

Telegraph claiming we've signed Gaitan

Manchester United agree a deal to sign Benfica's Nicolas Gaitan for £20m plus Fabio and Federico Macheda

Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign the Benfica midfielder Nicolás Gaitán with both Fabio da Silva and Federico Macheda moving to the Portuguese club as part of the terms.

The details of the deal are likely to see Fabio going only on a season’s long loan while Macheda’s transfer could be a permanent one, with Manchester United then reducing some of the costs of acquiring the highly-rated Gaitán.

Although the figures involved are unlikely to be disclosed, and the deal will not be announced until the season is over, it appears United are valuing Gaitán at more than £20 million plus the players.

Lightning

Banned
If either Spurs or Arsenal finish fourth, with Chelsea in fifth or six, then I really hope Chelsea win the CL, as seeing Spurs or Arsenal denied a CL place will bring great hilarity.

If Newcastle finish fourth, then Chelsea had better get fucking destroyed. Apologies, Chelsea-GAF.
Oh what the fuck? Why the grudge against Arsenal and Spurs?

And the only way Newcastle can deny Arsenal or Spurs is if either side fuck up majorly because Newcastles last 3 games are horrendous. They will be lucky to win 1 of them.

TrueBlue

The top two comments are why I hare those idiotic fans from yesterday. I (along with many others) am being labelled as a “neo-nazi cunt” for something we didn't do and wholeheartedly condemn.

I hope those fans are named, shamed and banned. Don't want them anywhere near Chelsea. True Chelsea fans support the campaign for the 96, or at the very least do not call Liverpool murderers. Ugh.

offshore

And the only way Newcastle can deny Arsenal or Spurs is if either side fuck up majorly because Newcastles last 3 games are horrendous. They will be lucky to win 1 of them.

Well... Spurs have been making some almighty fuck-ups recently, and one that shows no sign of stopping. And Arsenal are capable of imploding at a moment's notice.

Our last three games are horrible though. Chelsea away though will be a massive, colossal, crucial, defining fixture.

It's not often I've had an opportunity to applaud West Ham for brilliant attacking play this season, so here's Vaz Te's hat-trick from Saturday against Brighton;

vazte1.gif
vazte2.gif
vazte3.gif

I don't foresee any problems with our remaining 3 games, but we still need Southampton to slip up if we are to ensure automatic promotion. If not, well, if we can play like we did against Brighton in the play-off's, I'd fancy our chances and would love a day out at Wembley (last time we were promoted the final was at the Millennium Stadium).

Lightning

Banned
Well... Spurs have been making some almighty fuck-ups recently, and one that shows no sign of stopping. And Arsenal are capable of imploding at a moment's notice.

Our last three games are horrible though. Chelsea away though will be a massive, colossal, crucial, defining fixture.
It will need to be some implosion for us to screw up here. Our remaining games are not that hard.

5 points clear, 3 home games and no injuries. This will need to be some implosion for us to fuck this up, even by Arsenal's standards.

20:00 Arsenal v Wigan Emirates Stadium
Saturday 21 April 2012
12:45 Arsenal v Chelsea Emirates Stadium
Saturday 28 April 2012
15:00 Stoke v Arsenal Britannia Stadium
Saturday 5 May 2012
12:45 Arsenal v Norwich Emirates Stadium
Sunday 13 May 2012
15:00 West Brom v Arsenal The Hawthorns

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It will need to be some implosion for us to screw up here. Our remaining games are not that hard.

5 points clear, 3 home games and no injuries. This will need to be some implosion for us to fuck this up, even by Arsenal's standards.

20:00 Arsenal v Wigan Emirates Stadium
Saturday 21 April 2012
12:45 Arsenal v Chelsea Emirates Stadium
Saturday 28 April 2012
15:00 Stoke v Arsenal Britannia Stadium
Saturday 5 May 2012
12:45 Arsenal v Norwich Emirates Stadium
Sunday 13 May 2012
15:00 West Brom v Arsenal The Hawthorns

I think you are nailed on for 3rd, if you can get 4 points out of the next two then it's over. 4th I still think Spurs can get, but it depends on the reaction against QPR. We played well for an hour yesterday and lesser teams than Chelsea wouldn't have coped with us, hopefully the Atkinson-induced rage carries through to the league. When we lost to Pompey in the semi two years ago we beat Arsenal, Chelsea and City on the way to 4th.

The run in is comparatively easy this time, so I hope Harry can repeat the trick. Then we can get rid of him and get someone in who can actually understand what's going on in a game rather than just shoving Defoe on at 70 minutes. 2-1 I could have taken. But 5-1...those last 3 goals are Harry's fault. We needed Sandro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom