• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

In much the same way, I don't see how Ashley Young's dive matters much at all.

They matter in that they shouldn't be occurring in the "world's best league." The Chelsea goal was made at 1-0 and the United dive at 0-0. Football strategy, as you know, is very reactive, and how you play rests on the comfort – or lack thereof – in the scoreline.

Without going into conjecture and hypothetical situations, the refereeing mistakes shouldn't be made. Obviously one would always prefer fewer mistakes rather than greater, and the human element of the sport is part of its soul, but can you even count on two hands how many huge refereeing mistakes have greatly altered the outcome of a match this year?

I'll never get the argument that "things evened out," or "the better team won." There just shouldn't be so many big mistakes, period.

Wow, SAF is a colossal troll confirmed:

It's widely acknowledged that the Aston Villa owner sought the advice of Alex Ferguson last summer before appointing Alex McLeish. On the face of it, this seems like a shrewd move; if you can benefit from the opinion of the man who has won it all then why wouldn't you?

Of course, what Lerner didn't consider in following Ferguson's top pick was that the Manchester United manager was looking after an old friend, rather than discussing the candidates objectively. After a predictably awful season under McLeish, Lerner looks rather foolish for his statement at the time:

"Sir Alex Ferguson wrote to me after the appointment, a proper letter, talking about his feelings about Alex. It was something you don't easily forget and it's now in a safe deposit box. Given what Sir Alex Ferguson means to the game of football, I don't think you could get many things that you would be more proud of, or reflect better on Alex McLeish."

I'm so sorry Villa fans.

dc89

I agree with Mr Morsel, things do not even themselves out. If you are relegated due to a dodgy decision that's that. You are relegated, it can't even itself out.

Wilbur

Banned
Sometimes I think relegation is a bit overhyped in its terribleness though. Obviously smaller wages, not as many star players, collapses like Portsmouth or Leeds do happen. And it's fucking horrible when it does.

But take Wolves for instance, or Blackburn. Their fans have had horrible seasons, so if they went down, kept a majority of their players if they inserted clauses into their contracts, they'd probably be winning every week in a weaker league. Sometimes it takes a relegation to sort things out, like Norwich or Newcastle.

Choc

Banned
Sometimes I think relegation is a bit overhyped in its terribleness though. Obviously smaller wages, not as many star players, collapses like Portsmouth or Leeds do happen. And it's fucking horrible when it does.

But take Wolves for instance, or Blackburn. Their fans have had horrible seasons, so if they went down, kept a majority of their players if they inserted clauses into their contracts, they'd probably be winning every week in a weaker league. Sometimes it takes a relegation to sort things out, like Norwich or Newcastle.

Makes it very difficult for those outside the respective region to watch the games

We get 1 championship game if that live a week in Aus

dc89

+58 - Manchester City have the best goal average after 34 games in Premier League history. Tie breaker.

@OptaJoe

---

On FWA footballer of the year ,think Rooney will get my vote. RVP very close second but the title has swayed me. Shame Silva's season petered out
@Skygraemebailey

LOL. I don't expect anything less from Sky. RVP should cake walk it IMO. I can't think of any true stand out Wayne Rooney moments from this season. None true ROOOOONEY inducing like the over head kick last year.

I heard on the radio last night that Aguero is like 6 goals behind RVP for the season. That's really considering it's his debut season. I might put money on him for golden boot next year.

Doubt this is true. Gaitan had a decent CL campaign, but not exactly out of this world. Suspending that disbelief: so long as Fabio is only going on loan, it could work out quite nicely; Fergie obviously wants him to come back strong enough to stake a first team place like Welbeck. As I understand it, Gaitan is naturally a central player, so he'd probably be used to float in from the wing or at the tip of a midfield trio. Park would likely be on the way out then, and the 4-3-3 would make a return in Europe.

Hixx

No. It really, really isn't. It's not just the players who get turfed out when teams get relegated, hundreds of staff at the club are put at risk. One or two teams bounce straight back up but relegation in general is absolutely fucking horrible. Yeah I've seen us win a league 3 or 4 times but even just finishing top half in the Prem is on a completely different level. The difference in the quality of football is astonishing and outside the top 4 or so teams in the Championship the media pretty much pretend football doesn't exist.

Plus player turnaround in the lower leagues is mental. There's absolutely no stability in the lower leagues.

The only upside to it is lower league away days are immeasurably better than Premier League away trips.

Slizz

Man Monday's are a terrible slap of reality....

Didn't get to see the United game yesterday and didn't bother to look through the thread to see reactions.

However I just saw the highlights and great stuff from Welbeck to finally kick one on the back of the net, if he wasn't that lanky he probably never woulda got it.

Valencia looked good again and glad that Nani got a goal, even if it was in extra time. It was a good finish.

WAYNE ROONEY.

Relegation. Pfft, ain't noffin'!

Hixx is correct though, plenty of people lose their jobs to cut costs. The football is pretty horrid too, even though I did enjoy that season (mainly because we were winning despite playing rubbish).

Randdalf

No. It really, really isn't. It's not just the players who get turfed out when teams get relegated, hundreds of staff at the club are put at risk. One or two teams bounce straight back up but relegation in general is absolutely fucking horrible. Yeah I've seen us win a league 3 or 4 times but even just finishing top half in the Prem is on a completely different level. The difference in the quality of football is astonishing and outside the top 4 or so teams in the Championship the media pretty much pretend football doesn't exist.

Plus player turnaround in the lower leagues is mental. There's absolutely no stability in the lower leagues.

The only upside to it is lower league away days are immeasurably better than Premier League away trips.

As a Portsmouth fan, after going into administration twice, being relegated from the Premier Division, losing in the FA Cup final after missing a penalty, having multiple dodgy owners trying to suck money out of the club and losing our manager to a relegation rival... going down to League One feels more like a footnote than anything, In any case, we're not down yet, the great escape is still on!

Wilbur

Banned

Relegation. Pfft, ain't noffin'!

Hixx is correct though, plenty of people lose their jobs to cut costs. The football is pretty horrid too, even though I did enjoy that season (mainly because we were winning despite playing rubbish).

I guess so. I didn't think off the staff cutoffs... I just somewhat think for Blackburn it would be easier to get relegated and clean house.

elseanio

You see what Dr Dre and Snoop had at Cochella?

U2iDI.gif

Video of this uncanny valley shit

Incredible.

Wasn't there ideas of having football broadcast this way live in stadiums around the world?

Dat dream pairing

Am pretty confident for tonight's game against Wigan, just hope we show them respect because they have been playing well recently. VP better get a few!

It's the most important week of the season for us.

First, we'll crush Bayern on their own home and the we'll travel to Barcelona to finish the struggle for La Liga.

Pachimari

We'll win against Barca on Saturday, I'm more worried about Allianz Arena. We have won 0 matches against Bayern on their home turf, drawn 1 and lost 8. Cristiano really need to help out Coentrao on the left and everyone around Xabi Alonso needs to support him.

FootballFan

Chelsea fans disrupt minutes silence.

Have a feeling your going to be in the minority on this one mate. Not just shouting during the supposed silence but chanting murderers? Shits going to go down at both Wembley and Anfield without a doubt.

That is twice now this season that Chelsea have had to apologise because of their fans actions and despite every club having their dickhead element it appears Chelsea have more than most. Respect to the Spurs fans for showing their class.

Those Chelsea fans shouting..wow. DrogbaDisgrace.gif. Seriously what a disgrace.
I hope we beat em in stamford bridge(sorry Fady)

You see what Dr Dre and Snoop had at Cochella?

Video of this uncanny valley shit

woah. Amazing.

It's the most important week of the season for us.

First, we'll crush Bayern on their own home and the we'll travel to Barcelona to finish the struggle for La Liga.

Gonna be a fun few weeks for one of :p

Ashley Young would still dive over a Hologram's leg.
LOL.

Why on earth are we signing Gaitan? I really want it to be a made up story but it just can't be, there has been way too much talk about it for there be nothing to it.

Concerned.

James Ducker of The Times is adamant that it will not happen, hope. Somebody who I follow on Twitter (I know...) who is usually well clued up says Fabio's agent has said Fergie has spoken to him about Benfica as one of the possible clubs he could go on loan to.

Gaitan looks a good player, alot of people who watch him more often than I do think he's going to be a great player...but it's just not what we need.

LOL.

Why on earth are we signing Gaitan? I really want it to be a made up story but it just can't be, there has been way too much talk about it for there be nothing to it.

Concerned.

I'll reserve my judgment. There's every possibility that he could turn out very good. I've been luke-warm on what I've seen so far though.

Wilbur

Banned
He's good on FIFA. But I don't want another winter. A cheaper one sure, under 10 million for cover. But that much? Fuck that

panty

Real's men for tomorrow.

Goalkeepers
Casillas, Adan, Tomas Mejias

Defenders
Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Coentrao, Albiol, Carvalho, Arbeloa, Varane

Midfielders
Sahin, Kaka, Ozil, Granero, Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Altintop, Lass, Callejon, Di Maria

Forwards
Cristiano Ronaldo, Benzema, Higuain

Entire squad for once. Hopefully Mou doesn't play Carvalho or Altintop. They're awful.

Stubo

Real's men for tomorrow.

Goalkeepers
Casillas, Adan, Tomas Mejias

Defenders
Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Coentrao, Albiol, Carvalho, Arbeloa, Varane

Midfielders
Sahin, Kaka, Ozil, Granero, Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Altintop, Lass, Callejon, Di Maria

Forwards
Cristiano Ronaldo, Benzema, Higuain

Entire squad for once. Hopefully Mou doesn't play Carvalho or Altintop. They're awful.
Such a ridiculously talented squad. Really looking forward to the game, it should be excellent!

panty

Such a ridiculously talented squad. Really looking forward to the game, it should be excellent!

Real's defence is the only thing that frightens me at the moment. If they don't perform well tomorrow we're in trouble. Even if we wouldn't win I hope we can score at least 1 away goal. Might be crucial.

Arnie

I've been putting off getting FEZ, and The Witcher 2 arrives tomorrow, then Trials releases on Wednesday. Might have to wait for a summer sale or something.

Kyoufu

Is Eto'o still world class? I know he plays for Anzhi now but I saw the goal he scored against Real in Barca's 2-6 win and was floored.

I also share a birthday with him.

Stubo

Real's defence is the only thing that frightens me at the moment. If they don't perform well tomorrow we're in trouble. Even if we wouldn't win I hope we can score at least 1 away goal. Might be crucial.
I can't say I've been following Madrid closely at all this season since I don't catch many non premier/champions league games, but I'd still say that they have more talent in defence than most of the top teams. Sergio Ramos in particular is a beast.

Also from what I've seen Pepe is good at what he does, regardless of anyone's opinion on his character. Having Casillas in goal is a pretty good backup when everything goes wrong, too.

SolidPain

Neo Member
A tie won't be a bad result for Real since it is an away game. I think both teams have almost equal chances to progress although I clearly want Real to win. The wait is unbearable.

Wilbur

Banned
I can't say I've been following Madrid closely at all this season since I don't catch many non premier/champions league games, but I'd still say that they have more talent in defence than most of the top teams. Sergio Ramos in particular is a beast.

Also from what I've seen Pepe is good at what he does, regardless of anyone's opinion on his character. Having Casillas in goal is a pretty good backup when everything goes wrong, too.

Pepe's a better defender than he's given credit for just because he's a massive twat. When he plays with his brain switched on he's great. Ramos is complacent but talented; again he just needs to focus more and not go steaming up the pitch like Vermaelen on crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom